• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the PS3 read .SRT files?

AndyD

aka andydumi
I dont think it can. I either bake them into the movie, or most often I stream the videos with ps3mediaserver from the pc. The software can read srt just fine.

I don't *think* so, however, I have used Tversity to stream films to my ps3, all the processing and encoding is done on a pc so the subs will be included.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Sadly no, they only thing you can do is reencode the video to hard print the subtitles on top of the video.

Angst

PS3 Mediaserver + srt file in the same folder and with the same name as the movie = no need to re-encode and spend time fixing it.

rvy

Banned
Angst said:
PS3 Mediaserver + srt file in the same folder and with the same name as the movie = no need to re-encode and spend time fixing it.

PS3 Media Server ftw.

Sethos

Banned
Still cringe when people mention crap like TVersity and suggest buying extra hardware when it comes to anything media related with the PS3.

PS3 Media Server Sub Junk build, that's all you need.

( Sub Junk is more frequently updated and uses newer codecs, use that instead of the official release )

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
BigNastyCurve said:
Just buy a WDTV Live and be done with it.

That or one of those other boxes.

I bought a WDTV Live so I just didn't have to bother reencoding or any other of that bullshit.

Balboa

Hydrogen Bluebird said:
Thanks, I'll try it out.
This will work, you'll get a divx file that will play on the PS3 and have subtitles you can toggle on and off. Best part is it only takes a few seconds.

MMaRsu

Banned
The best workaround is to be on 3.55 CFW :p. Showtime mediaplayer enables you to use .srt files and play 1080p mkv files.

Dragon

Banned
MMaRsu said:
The best workaround is to be on 3.55 CFW :p. Showtime mediaplayer enables you to use .srt files and play 1080p mkv files.

Can you even player newer games with CFW with the PS3?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Drkirby said:
Sadly no, they only thing you can do is reencode the video to hard print the subtitles on top of the video.
Not at all.

You have few options:
a) as pointed by previous poster - AVI files can be muxed with soft-subtitles (no encoding).

b) certain encodes will not fit into AVI container, but you CAN remux(again, no encoding) them into an AVCHD image which also come with subtitle-track support. These are playable from your USB drive just like AVIs (or alternatively, you can burn them to CD/DVD/BR and get a video disc).
One tool that helps converting MKV->AVI or AVCHD: http://www.mkv2vob.com/

c) using PS3MediaServer, most formats can be streamed without reencoding too

Top Bottom