• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Does the PS5 not play well with certain TVs

Woggleman

Don't get me wrong it looks and plays great as long as I do all the settings manually. If I put everything at Auto it forces full RGB instead of limited and HDR on SDR games plus if I put the resolution manually to 2016P it looks much better than auto. If I manually put the settings where they should be then everything looks great. The Series X on the other hand reads all the settings right. My TV is a Sony 900E by the way.

Chronos24

If I'm understanding correctly, you're saying that by manually selecting certain features such as the resolution your picture is better?

Woggleman

If I'm understanding correctly, you're saying that by manually selecting certain features such as the resolution your picture is better?
Yes. If I choose auto it seems to do what it wants. It forces full RGB if I don't choose limited which is what a TV is supposed to be.

Kuranghi

I don't know why it wouldn't auto select 2160p on a 4K TV, especially when they are both Sony.

If you want to check what resolution the input is outputting, then you can press the button your TV remote thats next to the 0 button, it has a little "i+" logo and a green question mark, both inside little boxes.

Try it with the PS5 set to Auto for resolution and then with it set to 2160p to see the difference. Are you using the Game picture mode?

Was the TV set to Auto for RGB Range? If you forced it to full then maybe thats why the PS5 was dropping to 1080p so it could output full range RGB through HDMI 2.0.

Last edited:

Woggleman

The TV was set to auto for RGB range as well. If I press the info button it says 2160 P but it clearly looks much better if I set it manually.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Weird my TV is a xh 9096 which is on the same basis as yours I believe and I never encountered such problems, ,maybe check for updates or reinitialize your TV?

Woggleman

I got everything else working the way it is supposed to after power cycling and resetting the TV but it still forces full RGB even if I set the TV itself to limited. I will just forced limited on the PS5. No big deal.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Looks great on my TV

m66443647921_1.jpg

RCU005

Don't get me wrong it looks and plays great as long as I do all the settings manually. If I put everything at Auto it forces full RGB instead of limited and HDR on SDR games plus if I put the resolution manually to 2016P it looks much better than auto. If I manually put the settings where they should be then everything looks great. The Series X on the other hand reads all the settings right. My TV is a Sony 900E by the way.
This is weird. I have a Sony 950G and my reads all TV settings perfectly. In fact, every time you connect a new device, it pops up a notification, select what kind of device it is, and it leaves it looking perfectly in every way. Of course, you can fine tune several settings manually if you like. Everything on my PS5 is on auto.

One thing I hated was that the PS5 had always on HDR, but not anymore, so it works 100% fine now on my TV.

The strange thing, is that your Sony TV should work flawlessly with the PS5. If it doesn't, maybe it has to do with previous configuration you had on the TV or it interferes with the Home Theater system in some way, preventing it to have the correct settings automatically?

Top Bottom