• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog breaks girls copy of Dead Space 2, so Visceral.....

163859_493588696844_509986844_6334839_4606170_n.jpg

would

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
new page

From her lol

BUT, holy shit at this being on the front page of both kotaku, and reddit. I have about 50-11 views on my blog. and by 50-11 i mean like almost 25,000 from midnight to now, and that number is rising quickly.
shocking.gif

I did not expect this...The good news is a lot of people said they are going to buy Dead Space 2 because of this.
thumbsup.gif

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
paranoidfortean said:
really dislike how they chose to market this game, including this.

It wasn't marketing. They didn't even know I did this until yesterday.

I search "dead space" on Twitter all the time. I saw someone who seemed like a real fan upset because they wouldn't be able to play it now that it was all scratched due to an accident.

We were all signing copies for each other here at the office as mementos, so I threw an extra on the pile and sent it to her along with a quick sketch as a surprise. She didn't ask for it and I didn't even know she had a blog.

If anything I feel a bit embarrassed that it's everywhere today. But I guess that's the internet.

When I was young and getting excited about potentially doing art as a career, I wrote to a lot of comic book artists and animators asking questions. I included a self-addressed stamped postcard so they could answer the questions and send it back to me. 25 years later I can still tell you every artist who took the time to write back (and those who didn't).

Now that, in my own small way, I'm on the other side of that equation, I try to be nice and pay it forward a bit. That's all.

Replicant

My cat tends to be curious and jumps onto the tv stand when he hears Isaac stomping on the dead Necromorph. This annoys me because it blocks my view but it's even worse when he tries to climb my face while I'm trying to line up a shot against a Necro. Nothing gives a Necromorph attack a real world context than some animal clawing you while you try to help Isaac free from Necro grab.

Monkey Pants said:

I search "dead space" on Twitter all the time. I saw someone who seemed like a real fan upset because they wouldn't be able to play it now that it was all scratched due to an accident.

We were all signing copies for each other here at the office as mementos, so I threw an extra on the pile and sent it to her along with a quick sketch as a surprise. She didn't ask for it and I didn't even know she had a blog.

If anything I feel a bit embarrassed that it's everywhere today. But I guess that's the internet.

When I was young and getting excited about potentially doing art as a career, I wrote to a lot of comic book artists and animators asking questions. I included a self-addressed stamped postcard so they could answer the questions and send it back to me. 25 years later I can still tell you every artist who took the time to write back (and those who didn't).

Now that, in my own small way, I'm on the other side of that equation, I try to be nice and pay it forward a bit. That's all.

thumbs up

paranoidfortean said:
really dislike how they chose to market this game, including this.
How dare the developers pay attention to their fans! Rabblerabblerabble!

Anyway, I got to briefly meet some of the team at the midnight launch, including GAF's own Monkey Pants (hi dude), and they struck me as good guys who kindly answered my trite questions in earnest. While it's hard to strike any sort of natural conversation as you're waiting in crowd of gaming weirdos who would stand outside a game store at midnight on a Tuesday surrounded by homeless people, it was clear the dev team were going out of their way to politely chat up as many people as they could, particularly the UI designer Dino. They even happily obliged me with a handful of signatures and a drunken sketch or two in my moleskin.

I think it's rad that the guys creating the game are actively involved with the people playing it. Dead Space 1&2 always seemed like the product of a team that "gets it", and every glimpse I've gotten whether through podcasts or interviews or in person bears this out. What a cool score for that girl and her mutt. Thanks for keeping your fingers on the pulse guys! Dead Space 2 is fantastic.

Nizz

MightyHealthy said:
lol @ the saltiness by some folks:

let's see...

girl likes dead space. hears dead space 2 is going to be toned down. rants on twitter, ends up following/getting followed by member of visceral.

-a year later-

dead space 2 drops. dog destroys dead space 2. girl laments on twitter about her loss. visceral member notices, and goes out of way to make day for unlucky girl. girl makes blog post because visceral deserves major props for their random act of kindness.

she didn't beg for the game, she didn't get it just because she was a girl, and she didn't bitch. if anything, she's still in awe and grateful for it.

---

Visceral is awesome enough, just for making the Dead Space series, but this takes the cake for me.
Agree, Visceral is awesome! They made me a fan of their work since the first Dead Space. Hopefully one of these days I can scrounge up enough cash to pick up DS2, it sounds fantastic just fro reading the thread.

Good job, Visceral!

Monkey Pants said:

You're a good man. Thumbs up.

Instro

Monkey Pants said:

The rest of the the team must have found this to be pretty funny I bet, the story being all over the internet and all. You cant blame people for being a bit skeptical though, its rare that you see something cool like this.

Monkey Pants said:

Man, I tell ya, Visceral and Volition have quickly become some of my favorite developers this generation because of the way you all treat your customers and fans.

You guys and this Dead Space 2 thing, Volition with the Red Faction Guerrilla Ostrich Hammer...

That kind of stuff shows real class.

Thumbs up.

Carlisle

I did not expect this...The good news is a lot of people said they are going to buy Dead Space 2 because of this.
Whether it was intentional or not, it did market the game. Either way, I love seeing this kinda stuff Monkey Pants. Great show. Haven't bought DS2 yet but I'll make the extra effort to buy new when I do :)

Monkey Pants said:

You, sir, are awesome.

Fox318

My pet ate my Nintendo World Championship 1990 Cart. Can Nintendo get me one?

If only....I had a pet :(

drkOne

Monkey Pants said:

Really nice gesture.
Sadly there are always a couple of people on GAF that have to turn everything into something horrible...
Even if it had been purely for marketing purposes on Visceral's side, they'd have made that girl happy, so why would other people care is something I have an hard time understand.

tc farks

Yeah after I knocked my 360 over playing NHL 10 its been sideways ever since.

Props to the monkey man for making someone's day brighter.

daebo

Ha. The power of Gaf... she has a new post with a small mention of Gaf and her lack of capitalization LOL... wow...

Mudkips

Banned
B.K. said:
It looks like it's a Pit Bull. If you tried to hug it, it would tear your face off.

Pit bulls are specifically bred to be gentle with humans.
Most "pit bull" attacks that get reported do not actually involve pit bulls.
This is a pit bull:
LPeNk.jpg

JohngPR

Yeesh, and you wonder why that Treyarch guy says we're cynical bastards.

:p

I think it's a nice story. Good to see that some developers care enough about their fans to do something like that.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Attractive female on the internet gets free stuff from nerds. News at 11.

Seriously, this is news? It's cool of them and all, it just seems sort of silly...

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
Angelus Errare said:
Surprised no one posted picture of the girl. Gaf is slipping

zF02d.jpg

How old is she? I bet he only paid attention because she's cute <the cynical side of me>

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Alright, I just read the thread, Great job GAF, I'm in stitches. The existence of this thread is something I deem worthy. :lol

Massa

Mudkips said:
Pit bulls are specifically bred to be gentle with humans.
Most "pit bull" attacks that get reported do not actually involve pit bulls.
This is a pit bull:
http://i.imgur.com/LPeNk.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

They may be gentle to humans but apparently they don't like necromorphs.

Monkey Pants said:

This reminded me of my childhood, when I used to send letters to companies asking to be a game tester. Of course, I didn’t understand the process, as I was too young.

Still, I got a lot of “sorry, but thank you” replies and that was really cool. A fellow from Viacom even sent me a couple of Nickelodeon games via FedEx: GUTS and AAH! Real Monsters!

I couldn’t be a game tester, but it resolved my faith in videogaming.

Kudos to you for not only being part of the creation of an amazing game, but for being part of a random act of kindness that reminds me why I love Visceral. As if I already didn't have enough proof...

KaYotiX

Banned
Still kinda shocked she actually gave the guy her adress, (never know days) could of ended up as " girl is dismembered because of dead space"

Good job on Vicerals part though

Top Bottom