• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doing Stand-Up Comedy for the First Time, Any Tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RoboPlato said:
So 2.5 hours to show. Just ran through my set for a few people and they really liked it. LET'S DO THIS!
Haha, excellent! Break a leg man. Well, not literally, you know. Have fun and good luck!

JCX

Practice your set standing up. Sounds like a minor detail, but my time and delivery changes from when I'm sitting to when I'm standing. Also, practice a lot so you know your set inside and out, but don't be so rigidly commited to it.

Good luck! Maybe you could post a video in the Neogaf Thread of All things Comedy: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=397533

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Just got back. The set went fantastically! The first stand-up comic sucked and then the improv comedy group also did really poorly so by the time I got up people were pretty desperate for something funny. I killed. Some people were in tears they were laughing so hard. I forgot a couple of my minor jokes but it didn't run my flow at all and I didn't even realize it until after I was done. One of my jokes got a really hostile response. It was a reference to getting out cum stains from pledge activities and a lot of frat guys were there but I actually thought it was hilarious they responded like that. A lot of people told me I was the highlight of the night. Sorry for bragging so much. It was some of the most fun I've ever had and I can't wait to do it again with some more material.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
RoboPlato said:
Just got back. The set went fantastically! The first stand-up comic sucked and then the improv comedy group also did really poorly so by the time I got up people were pretty desperate for something funny. I killed. Some people were in tears they were laughing so hard. I forgot a couple of my minor jokes but it didn't run my flow at all and I didn't even realize it until after I was done. One of my jokes got a really hostile response. It was a reference to getting out cum stains from pledge activities and a lot of frat guys were there but I actually thought it was hilarious they responded like that. A lot of people told me I was the highlight of the night. Sorry for bragging so much. It was some of the most fun I've ever had and I can't wait to do it again with some more material.

You're not funny!

Congratulations

RoboPlato said:

Would love to hear audio of this set, man. Glad to hear you killed. Must be such a rush!

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
the_log_ride said:
Would love to hear audio of this set, man. Glad to hear you killed. Must be such a rush!
Unfortunately the only stand-up comedian that they filmed was the first guy. I definitely would have posted it if I had it.

Here's an extremely low quality, awkward picture in consolation:

dudeworld

put a recorder somewhere in the audience so you can hear yourself later and improve where needed

just be careful that no one leaves you sexy messages on it

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
dudeworld said:
put a recorder somewhere in the audience so you can hear yourself later and improve where needed

just be careful that no one leaves you sexy messages on it
I'll make sure we do that next time. Thanks for the tip.

CrankyJay

Banned
Transcribe your set =)

edit: Speaking of telling a joke and getting a hostile response, I just imagined Tosh telling something and getting booed and seeing his shit-eating grin. =)

Jack Scofield said:
I had a friend who aspired to be a stand-up comedian. Everytime we would hang out he would test his shitty jokes on me. Over and over again. I swear, he would tell me the same jokes dozens of times in order to get feedback or something. I heard his jokes so many times I could do his routine by memory. I hated being his guinea pig, but he never stopped.

Anyway, this loser signed up for his first amateur comedian night and invited a few people, including me. During his set, I decided to mess with him and yell out his punchlines mid-joke. He got so completely flustered he literally RAN offstage with tears in his eyes. I haven't seen or talked to him since (this was like a year ago), but that shit was hilarious. That's what he gets for constantly using me as a test subject for his bad jokes. Hahahaha.

hahahaha that's so funny!!!!
Actually, no it's not. You're a twat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom