• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin 4.0 Released

IrishNinja

nice! is it less demanding these days? my i5 760 is still underclocked at around 2.8, always understood that woudln't be enough for its demands for most titles

I just tried it, and no it doesn't.

It seems pretty fixed. I did get a bit of occasional slow down, but it wasn't hindering gameplay, plus I may be able to fix it through changing my settings.

Edit: Actually, seems to depend on the DirectX version you are using. It's fixed in 11, but still present in 9 it would seem.

I can confirm that too.

Dx 11 = issue is gone.
Dx 9 = still there.

I don't get any slowdowns. Solid 30FPS.
The game is perfect here.

Did you try the new DSP HLE?
-
Man, the boss battles in this game are awesome...
Never get tired of them.
ksYj4GJ.jpg

butanebob

Neo Member
Why is everyone asking it this runs Xenoblade yet? It has worked for years, i played the entire game without a hitch a few years back. o_O

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I can confirm that too.

Dx 11 = issue is gone.
Dx 9 = still there.

I don't get any slowdowns. Solid 30FPS.
The game is perfect here.

Did you try the new DSP HLE?
-
Man, the boss battles in this game are awesome...
Never get tired of them.
ksYj4GJ.jpg

You should enable "Widescreen hack" in the graphics settings because that looks mad stretched

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Thank you. :) I'll try that.

I tried it and the sound and the frame rate are still fucked.

I'm guessing my computer just isn't capable of running Dolphin. I thought it would be. It runs nulldc perfectly.

Actually it's just the build since I ran RE0 pretty okay before and in 4.0 it runs like complete shit.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
What place in the game it's running bad for you?
I loaded up my save and it's fine as always for me, but could be the location...

Well I didn't move my saves so I thought that I'd test the opening area on the train and I was getting about 17 FPS when I got a solid 30 FPS before. I was hoping this build would work better since I'm doing a run through and I keep getting errored out in the area I'm at.

Well I didn't move my saves so I thought that I'd test the opening area on the train and I was getting about 17 FPS when I got a solid 30 FPS before. I was hoping this build would work better since I'm doing a run through and I keep getting errored out in the area I'm at.

Tested it here and got the same problem as you in the train. Strange.

But the problem seems to be the same I always had in some locations in RE Remake.
And the solution I always used in RE Remake worked with RE 0 now too.

Go to Graphics Settings > Hacks and in the EFB Copies section, select "Texture" and see if it works for you too.

I was going to say the same thing, looks great now.

Yeah, the game is looking great. Sad thing is: I always played all the games like that, without the Widescreen Hack. And now I see what I was missing the entire time.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

But the problem seems to be the same I always had in some locations in RE Remake.

Go to Graphics Settings > Hacks and in the EFB Copies section, select "Texture" and see if it works for you too.

Yeah, the game is looking great. Sad thing is: I always played all the games like that, without the Widescreen Hack. And now I see what I was missing the entire time.

I'm not sure if its identical in RE0, but in REmake - because it used pre-rendered backgrounds - any area that had multiple renderings for the background (lighting shifting, pre-rendered fog) would run really terribly until it cached all of the backgrounds.

My guess would be that since it's a train, it has multiple pre-rendered backgrounds of lights moving and the areas outside the windows zooming past which probably explains the poor performance. The background is basically just a really quickly moving slideshow of pictures.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Yum.

Could you record and put on Youtube by chance? There doesn't seem to be any full playthroughs of that game on Dolphin.

I'd love to man, but I don't think I will. Video recording usually has an impact on performance, I want to get as much as I can out of emulating this. Plus I live in Australia, and my upload speeds are embarrassingly low. Sticking three minute reviews on YouTube takes forever as is.

I'll probably take screenshots along the way though. I documented entire Dolphin playthroughs of Twilight Princess and Metal Gear Solid with shots.

I'm not sure if its identical in RE0, but in REmake - because it used pre-rendered backgrounds - any area that had multiple renderings for the background (lighting shifting, pre-rendered fog) would run really terribly until it cached all of the backgrounds.

My guess would be that since it's a train, it has multiple pre-rendered backgrounds of lights moving and the areas outside the windows zooming past which probably explains the poor performance. The background is basically just a really quickly moving slideshow of pictures.

Yeah, looks like it is it too because when its set To RAM and the cache is enabled, when you enter the train the FPS goes downhill.
If you exit the game and start it again, the game runs fine as it is already cached.

Disabling the Cache seems to work too.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

Sadly it didn't seem to improve I tried loading my save from the previous build I was using and it looks like it's not confined to that area for me either.

Sadly it didn't seem to improve I tried loading my save from the previous build I was using and it looks like it's not confined to that area for me either.

Strange...
I could replicate the same issue and that worked fine for me. Maybe there's something more...

I forgot to say that I always clean the Cache folder (now in Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Cache) everytime I change these settings because for some unknow reason, sometimes my games won't load if I don't do this, giving me a black screen forever instead.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Strange...
I could replicate the same issue and that worked fine for me. Maybe there's something more...

I forgot to say that I always clean the Cache folder (now in Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Cache) everytime I change these settings because for some unknow reason, sometimes my games won't load if I don't do this, giving me a black screen forever.

Well something just clicked in my head and I remembered you had to enable the Vbeam and disk speed hack and now it runs fine! I feel dumb.

Grief.exe

It doesn't always work perfectly.

Its interesting to see how these Gamecube games used to render. Take Paper Mario: TTYD, it won't quite render all of the objects off screen. So when you turn on the widescreen hack, everything greater than 4:3 resolution isn't quite rendered on the sides of the screen.

dino1980

Zelda Wind waker works perfectly with the texture pack and sweetfx. Looks amazing!

Have only one problem and that is that the widescreen hack doesnt work. I have selected it in options but the game is still in 4:3. Anyone have encountered this problem?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Zelda Wind waker works perfectly with the texture pack and sweetfx. Looks amazing!

Have only one problem and that is that the widescreen hack doesnt work. I have selected it in options but the game is still in 4:3. Anyone have encountered this problem?

Set aspect ratio to "Force 16:9" or if you're just running fullscreen in your window another option is to set Aspect ratio to "Stretch to screen".

But - you should force it to 16:9 through using a cheat rather than widescreen hack. It ensures that everything that would be off screen renders correctly.

I did a whole post about Wind Waker in the screenshotters compendium if you want some more info on other tweaks you should do.

Here's the code you could put in to force it 16:9

NTSC said:
D3MC-RD04-JACXK
G1N3-CXH2-TMF6K

Veal

Metroid Prime Trilogy works now!! YEEAAA! You'll need a beast of computer to trick it out at 1080p and higher, but it's freaking ridiculous how good the games look to this day!

I played Paper Mario: TTYD on this and while it looks great and the audio isn't choppy anymore it keeps crashing at random times. I gave up when it crashed while I was in the middle of saving my game.

Guess it's back to 3.5.

dino1980

Set aspect ratio to "Force 16:9" or if you're just running fullscreen in your window another option is to set Aspect ratio to "Stretch to screen".

But - you should force it to 16:9 through using a cheat rather than widescreen hack. It ensures that everything that would be off screen renders correctly.

I did a whole post about Wind Waker in the screenshotters compendium if you want some more info on other tweaks you should do.

Here's the code you could put in to force it 16:9

Thanks alot for the info. Gonna try it later tonight when I get home. Great work with the textures, this game looks so wonderful!

EDIT: Tried it, gonna be late for class. Worked perfectly, so great right now :D This is gonna be a great nostalgic feeling to play throw this game 10 years later :)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thanks alot for the info. Gonna try it later tonight when I get home. Great work with the textures, this game looks so wonderful!

Credit for textures should go to Hypatia! I've helped him out a little bit by sharing my method for automating increasing texture sizes with him, but the brunt of the real labor has been done by him. He's been hand drawing the stuff and pulling out some really fantastic work.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Hmm, I still can't get the WW texture pack to work. I'm also not able to get 30 fps anymore. It hangs around 26.

I'm putting the folder of textures in the Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Load\Textures folder. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

EDIT: Of course, right after I post this I try loading it up again and it has the HD textures. I didn't change anything, though. It just suddenly worked.

qq more

Did they improve the music in Smash Bros Melee? It doesn't seem to glitch up as much anymore! Only major complaint is the victory theme in single player lags a lot. The stage music works mostly perfect. Only lags out a bit when the match begins, but I think it might be just the framerate's problem.

Before 4.0, the music would suddenly either stop or pan all the way to the left.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
4.0 has killed Wind Waker for me. Nothing will make it run at 30 fps. Dropping the resolution, not playing with HD textures, killing the audio, nixing widescreen. I loaded up what is essentially the Gamecube equivalent of the game, and it still bounced between 20-26. The only time I get 30 is when I'm on the title screen (it lags when I get to my saved game) and when I enter a building and stare at a wall.

Kokonoe

Banned
4.0 has killed Wind Waker for me. Nothing will make it run at 30 fps. Dropping the resolution, not playing with HD textures, killing the audio, nixing widescreen. I loaded up what is essentially the Gamecube equivalent of the game, and it still bounced between 20-26. The only time I get 30 is when I'm on the title screen (it lags when I get to my saved game) and when I enter a building and stare at a wall.

Make sure you have DSP Audio to LLE and Audio on thread.

Top Bottom