• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin 4.0 Released

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Make sure you have DSP Audio to LLE and Audio on thread.

Yeah, no jazz. I've been fiddling with this for about 2 hours now. I just loaded it up in Dolphin 3.5 and it works flawlessly, so I think I'll just be sticking with that.

Not a fan of how 4.0 handles settings, either. I've put each of my Dolphin games on my Steam grid so that I can easily launch them like I would any other game, with a separate copy of the entire Dolphin folder for each one. That way, I can have unique setting for each game. I can't do that with 4.0 (at least that I can tell) because of the way they save all that to the User\Documents\Dolphin Emulator folder instead of in the actual Dophin application folder. That's a big issue for me.

Falcs

Banned
Ok I just had a quick skim through this thread. I've been out of the Dolphin scene for probably a few years now...
But hold on just a sec... am I getting this right here...

Can you actually map waggle movements from the wiimote to buttons? So essentially could I play Wii games with a PS3 controller and not have to use any fucking motion??
Is that right???
There are so many Wii games that I never even bothered with because I hate the motion controls.
Fuck! I've gonna look into this....
Right after I'm done with GTAV.

catabarez

Yeah, no jazz. I've been fiddling with this for about 2 hours now. I just loaded it up in Dolphin 3.5 and it works flawlessly, so I think I'll just be sticking with that.

Not a fan of how 4.0 handles settings, either. I've put each of my Dolphin games on my Steam grid so that I can easily launch them like I would any other game, with a separate copy of the entire Dolphin folder for each one. That way, I can have unique setting for each game. I can't do that with 4.0 (at least that I can tell) because of the way they save all that to the UserDocumentsDolphin Emulator folder instead of in the actual Dophin application folder. That's a big issue for me.

Oh this is kind of a deal breaker for me.

Korezo

Can someone tell me why when I try to add my wii mote as a Bluetooth device I get an error? Is the remote not compatible with my Bluetooth?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Oh this is kind of a deal breaker for me.

Yeah, I don't see any way to change the path for the settings. It's also messing with my setup because I keep all of my Dolphin stuff on an external so I can easily continue games on my laptop when I'm not at home. Combine that with the massive performance hit for WW and I'm out.

I kinda figured that would be an issue for you, since I used your guide to set up Dolphin through Steam.

BasilZero

4.0 has killed Wind Waker for me. Nothing will make it run at 30 fps. Dropping the resolution, not playing with HD textures, killing the audio, nixing widescreen. I loaded up what is essentially the Gamecube equivalent of the game, and it still bounced between 20-26. The only time I get 30 is when I'm on the title screen (it lags when I get to my saved game) and when I enter a building and stare at a wall.

I'm having similar issues along with the fact that the audio gets choppy with some games (including wind waker) - I mean not REALLY choppy but you can tell by when the waves move or the when the seagulls fly over you in the beginning.

3.5 however had none of these issues.

catabarez

Yeah, I don't see any way to change the path for the settings. It's also messing with my setup because I keep all of my Dolphin stuff on an external so I can easily continue games on my laptop when I'm not at home. Combine that with the massive performance hit for WW and I'm out.

I kinda figured that would be an issue for you, since I used your guide to set up Dolphin through Steam.

I haven't tried out 4.0 yet, but I'll dig around once I get the chance to see if anything can be done.

Kokonoe

Banned
Can you emulate the gamecube keyboard?

I don't think so. At least, not to my knowledge. They seem to have every other peripheral except that one. Maybe if someone asks they will. It doesn't seem like it'd be too hard.

I do know the have keyboard support for Wii stuff just not GC stuff.

Vitacat

I have a new PC coming soon with:

i7 3.4 - 3.9Ghz (Haswell I believe, not the K version though)
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 660
Windows 7 HP

Will I be able to run Dolphin well? F-Zero GX at full speed 60fps? All I have right now is a crappy laptop.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
k7a08etp.jpg

k7bswfc0.jpg

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Subscribed. Thanks OP for the heads up on the new Dolphin Release.

I wonder if Ican play The Last Story from start to finish without crashes. I was able to complete it, but I had to use different versions of Dolphin for specific sections to avoid crashes. Would like to replay the game without those issues, really enjoyed it.

I have a new PC coming soon with:

i7 3.4 - 3.9Ghz (Haswell I believe, not the K version though)
8GB RAM
Nvidia GTX 660
Windows 7 HP

Will I be able to run Dolphin well? F-Zero GX at full speed 60fps? All I have right now is a crappy laptop.

You'll be fine.

Ok I just had a quick skim through this thread. I've been out of the Dolphin scene for probably a few years now...
But hold on just a sec... am I getting this right here...

Can you actually map waggle movements from the wiimote to buttons? So essentially could I play Wii games with a PS3 controller and not have to use any fucking motion??
Is that right???
There are so many Wii games that I never even bothered with because I hate the motion controls.
Fuck! I've gonna look into this....
Right after I'm done with GTAV.

That feature has been around for a while. Hell, when I started using Dolphin it was already there.

Shenzakai

Banned
Awesome threads and information, thanks for sharing to all of you. Can't wait to update and try some games in glorious 1080p :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I kind of want to try this again, but last time was just constant crackling audio in everything. If it's going to be a pain again I'd rather just play the ol Wii on the shitty CRT in the other room.

Zafir

I can confirm that too.

Dx 11 = issue is gone.
Dx 9 = still there.

I don't get any slowdowns. Solid 30FPS.
The game is perfect here.

Did you try the new DSP HLE?
-
Man, the boss battles in this game are awesome...
Never get tired of them.
Admittedly I didn't really mess around with settings much. I just tried LLE recompiler. Will give HLE a shot when I get home from work though.

Banzai

Maybe this was answered already, but how exactly did they manage to make online work? I imagine Nintendo can't be too happy about having emulators on their network (if they know).

Majukun

but the android version is yet to come?and how nuch powerful must the smartphonetablet needs to be to running Gc games?and the wii ones?being able to play my collection around would be sweet

Garteal

4.0 has killed Wind Waker for me. Nothing will make it run at 30 fps. Dropping the resolution, not playing with HD textures, killing the audio, nixing widescreen. I loaded up what is essentially the Gamecube equivalent of the game, and it still bounced between 20-26. The only time I get 30 is when I'm on the title screen (it lags when I get to my saved game) and when I enter a building and stare at a wall.
Dolphin uses the game ini configs over your global configuration settings. By default it'll run with LLE and other stuff enabled for compatibility. You can however, override this by editing the game ini.

Right-click the game in Dolphin and go to properties. On the bottom-left, hit Edit Config.
In the config window add
Code:
[Core]
DSPHLE = True

It should now run with HLE instead of LLE. Keep in mind that you might experience black screens and the like with HLE. It will run (much) faster though.

The game also runs with EFB Copies to RAM for various reasons, but you can force it to run with EFB Copies to Texture to gain some performance.
Add the following to the same config
Code:
[Video_Hacks]
EFBToTextureEnable = True

Agkel

Are the assets for Twilight Princess the same for GC and Wii ver? Is there one better to play on Dolphin than the other?

pestul

but the android version is yet to come?and how nuch powerful must the smartphonetablet needs to be to running Gc games?and the wii ones?being able to play my collection around would be sweet

Dunno, but I tried the one on the Market already. I'm not sure if its a legitimate version from the devs or not, but it didn't work at all on a Nexus 7 2013. Might be a revised version coming soon from the sounds of it. It was actually so bad that I had to uninstall it due to a wakelock bug that drained all my battery over night.

asker

Are the assets for Twilight Princess the same for GC and Wii ver? Is there one better to play on Dolphin than the other?
The Wii-version has the entire game mirrored left to right and Zelda is right handed, being a leftie in all previous 3D iterations.

Agkel

The Wii-version has the entire game mirrored left to right and Zelda is right handed, being a leftie in all previous 3D iterations.

Graphic wise, would they be the same on Dolphin though? I know the Wii had Widescreen but I also see that Dolphin can force widescreen on GC titles. There would be no difference between the two versions other than left/right thing and the wiimote controls?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Were you inside a cloud?

Yes.

skyiyj6x.jpg

Holy..

I'm actually playing through Skyward Sword (well, I was before Kingdom Hearts 1.5 and GTAV came out) - is it working well? I guess I might just migrate my save to the Dolphin.

Only just started. Audio crackling is pretty disappointing. I don't think I can hit 30fps consistent with any SSAA, which is a shame, as it's needed to clean up the jaggies. But otehrwise seems fine.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Yes.

skyiyj6x.jpg

Only just started. Audio crackling is pretty disappointing. I don't think I can hit 30fps consistent with any SSAA, which is a shame, as it's needed to clean up the jaggies. But otehrwise seems fine.

That's better :)

For the audio, you may want to try switching the backend to OpenAL and slightly increasing the latency
edit: Also, according to the changelog, OpenGL is now the fastest backend on Nvidia cards. It crashes for me for some reason, but if it works you may get slightly better performance.

Top Bottom