• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin can now emulate every GameCube game

dan2026

If video game companies had any sense at all they would reach out to these amazing emulator makers.

Hell does Nintendo even offer any Gamecube emulation at the moment?

Surprisingly well, better than it used to, but still on the higher end of gcn due to how they abuse the GameCube's arch. So expect slow downs on moderate hardware.

I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, and you can disagree if you like, but nearly every country's law that deals with copying software state that it has to be a copy of your software, not some random person on the internet.

That's a distinction without a difference in the end. That copy vs. a copy you'd have made yourself are indistinguishable (except for the MD5 hash, and even those can be matched).
The problem is in the mechanics of downloading torrents, where you don't just download, you also upload and are therefore distributing copyrigted material. That's why getting your "copy" that way is certainly illegal.

I'm very glad emulation is still popular enough to preserve these "newer" systems like the GameCube, but I still worry about post-PS360 console games. I hope MS/Sony do more to preserve those themselves, and I believe this move to a more PC-like philosophy of hardware upgrades might do just that.

rjc571

Banned
I got my old Wii all set up and did that with Resident Evil 3. I managed to load it up on Dolphin, but I couldn't get past a screen stating something about a memory card region or something.

Not tried any of my other games yet.

Did you try changing the memory card settings in Dolphin?

Zomba13

If video game companies had any sense at all they would reach out to these amazing emulator makers.

Not officially, but you can play GC games on the Wii U through the virtual Wii if you use a homebrew app Nintendont. Though I'm not sure if it's emulation or hardware because I'm still not sure what the vWii is, if it's just emulated or if it is part of the Wii U hardware. Because the Wii can ran GC games off its hardware.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
The news that I'm happier about is that goddamn Silent Hill: Shattered Memories can finally work. Next time I do a marathon of the series, I can do it without worrying about pulling out the Wii and playing it in SD.

Rich!

Not officially, but you can play GC games on the Wii U through the virtual Wii if you use a homebrew app Nintendont. Though I'm not sure if it's emulation or hardware because I'm still not sure what the vWii is, if it's just emulated or if it is part of the Wii U hardware. Because the Wii can ran GC games off its hardware.

Its hardware, not emulation. Same as playing GBA games on the 3DS. It's native.

jediyoshi

Dolphin is crazy impressive. Wonder if the same folks will end up working on a WiiU emulator some day, too. XenoX in 1080p with proper AA is something I need to experience.

Hiya, no Dolphin devs but between both Wii U emulators, progress is flying.

Inside the WiiU is all the hardware of the Wii. vWii is just the machine rebooted into wii mode.

Nintendont is a bit of a translator where it will turn a GC game into a Wii game since they're both the same architecture but running at different speeds and using a different memory layout. So it's native-esque.

MetalSlug

It looks amazing. Set the internal resolution at 4K with 2x MSAA and 16x AF.

I wish I had done this sooner. I'll need to buy some games off of Ebay :)

Also tempted to try out my Dreamcast and PS2.

Paracelsus

Meanwhile, 2030 is moments away and they haven't found a way to decently emulate Ace Combat PS2 games in hardware up-rendered mode.

Imagine what these people could pull off with the actual documentation in hand.

Joey Ravn

Banned
You mean DS.

The 3DS cant play GBA games. For some stupid reason.

Yo!

7JvH4Pz.jpg

Injected GBA games (and Ambassador games) run natively on 3DS :)

Dolphin is incredible. My friends and I play Smash (Project M & Melee) on our PCs all the time with the Wii U Gamecube controller adapter.

ar4757

Amazing achievement and a shame that emulation isn't more popular. I have a GC and F-Zero GX, so what's the general moral standing on hitting up a torrent site for what I need?

Please don't ban me.

Who would you be hurting? No one

This is amazing. Too bad PS2 or Xbox emulation aren't anywhere near as good as GCN.

Do you think the Dolphin team would ever look into other gen6 platforms?

This is amazing. Too bad PS2 or Xbox emulation aren't anywhere near as good as GCN.

Do you think the Dolphin team would ever look into other gen6 platforms?

PS2 is a case of clusterfuck-y hardware.

X-box is a case of no documentation and the reverse engineering process being incredibly difficult.

Both are a lot more difficult than the GCN/Wii, which despite being PowerPC, is actually a lot closer in action to how PCs of the time worked.

Pyrokai

I don't know anything about emulation: is the GameCube notoriously difficult to get running on a relation or something? Is this why Nintendo doesn't sell GameCube games on its virtual console?

SomTervo

I'm just staggered by DolphinVR.

I can't believe I can play Wind Waker in VR. And Resi 4. And Eternal Darkness. I am standing in rooms with Link, Leon or Alexandra - life fucking size - and looking around environments with them.

It's just fucking insane.

dan2026

Custom firmware and then converting to and installing a GBA ROM as a cia. It runs natively and my test suite shows the hardware performs 100% accurate to a real GBA.

Ok thanks. Is there a decent guide anywhere on how to set this up?
Everywhere I look people make it sound super complicated.

I do already have homebrew on my 3DS, but I still have no idea how to do this.

SomTervo

Amazing achievement and a shame that emulation isn't more popular. I have a GC and F-Zero GX, so what's the general moral standing on hitting up a torrent site for what I need?

Please don't ban me.

You're a member, you should know better than this.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Now make the Prime Games run as smooth as they possibly can ;). This should be top priority.

What was the reason why they couldn't emulate Xbox?

To my knowledge it's just a lack of people who actually feel like doing it.

Rich!

6]Ok seems like it is impossible without hard modding my 3ds.[/b]
Oh well. Wish they would just release gba games on the eshop.

Hopefully the NX will allow this.

Eh? No. Unless you've stupidly upgraded to the newest firmware before installing CFW.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Eh? No. Unless you've stupidly upgraded to the newest firmware

Why would he be stupid for upgrading the firmware if he was just unaware of homebrew? And he does say "my 3DS". Even then he's not out of luck, it only took a couple months of patience on my end to install CFW after I'd installed a new firmware on the thing without checking.

Rich!

Why would he be stupid for upgrading the firmware if he was just unaware of homebrew? And he does say "my 3DS". Even then he's not out of luck, it only took a couple months of patience on my end to install CFW after I'd installed a new firmware on the thing without checking.

Because he already has access to homebrew as he previously stated but likely not al9h. In that case updating is definitely a silly thing to do.

Top Bottom