• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

fernoca

I hate quoting pictures, but this..
jediyoshi said:
dolphin2011-11-1122-1d5uxg.jpg
..so deserves to be quoted.

And I want one at 1920 x 1080 now!!! :O!

Izuna

Banned
OH. My brother was talking about this Emulator. I've wanted to play Sonic Colours, but I couldn't get it to work.

I put the DVD in and it just locks up the program. The disc isn't broken because it works in the Wii.

I've tried to make an ISO or something but none of the programs I've tried work.

I'm trying to work this out on my mac, but when I put a Wii game in it spits the disc back out after a number of seconds. I think I got the Wiimote working, that worked okay with Darwinremote.

Izuna

Banned
Android18a said:
I'm trying to work this out on my mac, but when I put a Wii game in it spits the disc back out after a number of seconds. I think I got the Wiimote working, that worked okay with Darwinremote.

Oh I've figured it out. Our computers can't read official Wii games.

Now I'm confused. How do I create an ISO if my PC can't read the disc in the first place? I'd like to play The Last Story on PC too, and it also can't read that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
izunadono said:
Oh I've figured it out. Our computers can't read official Wii games.

Now I'm confused. How do I create an ISO if my PC can't read the disc in the first place? I'd like to play The Last Story on PC too, and it also can't read that.

You can rip them to a USB or SD card using your Wii itself. Instructions are in the OP or the Dolphin Wiki I think.

Edit- This link should do it.

Famassu

Android18a said:
Ugh, that's way too complicated for me. I'm out.
It's not complicated at all. Homebrewing the hell out of Wii takes all of... what, maybe 10 minutes (+ maybe add a few minutes when you have to set up external HDDs, download & install programs and whatnot) and after that ripping a game takes a few minutes. You could be playing games on Dolphin within the hour.

Oh well it turned out my Bro already modded my Wii for me and I managed to pull some iso from a usb thing he had in the back.

Super Mario Galaxy loads but only gets up to the no wii remote screen. I can get Darwiinremote or whatever its called to detect my Wiimote fine, but Dolphin can't see it. Any clues?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
fernoca said:
I hate quoting pictures, but this..

..so deserves to be quoted.

And I want one at 1920 x 1080 now!!! :O!

You love all those repeating textures? It's distracting and we should expect way more out of today's games. The tech demo of Wii U Zelda is what we should be playing right now if Nintendo had given us a proper system when MS and Sony did.

As for a $400 PC... I really, really doubt you can put together a decent PC for that price even if you build it yourself (which a lot of people don't/can't).

Anyway; opinions, opinions. I am looking forward to playing Zelda on Dolphin even though I wish it was looking a lot better. The game does look like a lot of fun and I am a life-long Zelda fan.

npm0925

The graphics are great. The sound is the problem. You need an extremely powerful setup to get the music to run properly on games like Super Mario Galaxy 2. :(

shamo42

So has anyone with a copy of Skyward Sword tried it on Dolphin? I'm still waiting for mine (6 more days...)

Are the problems with calibration fixed?

-MB-

I don't know if this will work for Zelda, but I remember reading on the Dolphin forums that setting AF and AA in the nvidia drivers config screen for dolphin.exe and disabling it in Dolphin itself would give a small perfomance improvement in Xenoblade Chronicles.
Maybe it´s a useful tip for people who are not getting 100% fullspeed.

Dascu

shamo42 said:
So has anyone with a copy of Skyward Sword tried it on Dolphin? I'm still waiting for mine (6 more days...)

Are the problems with calibration fixed?
What kind of calibration problems?

ExMachina said:
Uploaded a 1080p video of all 3 scenarios in the Skyward Sword demo: http://youtu.be/NlXvTUYUDbI

Basically using Thoraxes's settings - SVN r7718, D3D11, 4x internal res, no AA, EFB Ram unchecked

SPECTACULAR. Seems like the perfect balance between Twilight Princess and Wind Waker. I forgot how great the little musical note is on striking in combat!

Platy

Zelda's need for MotionPlus is one of the best anti-piracy measures ever !

Even to play on dolphin you need it !

....till we have kinect on pc and someone makes it possible to map the motinplus to your hand in dolphin or something =P

Medalion said:
Perhaps... but those took till the near end of the system's life to come out

And this will be Nintendo's first foray into HD territory, so it may take a few tries to reach the quality of what we're seeing there in those Dolphin shots

Besides the fact that EVERY game gets better as the system life's goes on ...

V0nFs.jpg

Don't know about you .... but jpg compression aside, that was an awesome tech demo

Specialy if you compare "cube zelda tech demo" to wind waker/twilight princess

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Platy said:
Zelda's need for MotionPlus is one of the best anti-piracy measures ever !

Even to play on dolphin you need it !

....till we have kinect on pc and someone makes it possible to map the motinplus to your hand in dolphin or something =P

Besides the fact that EVERY game gets better as the system life's goes on ...

http://i.imgur.com/V0nFs.jpg

Don't know about you .... but jpg compression aside, that was an awesome tech demo

Specialy if you compare "cube zelda tech demo" to wind waker/twilight princess
Wasn't it confirmed that another company (possibly Epic?) made that tech demo?

Platy

chaosblade said:
Wasn't it confirmed that another company (possibly Epic?) made that tech demo?

never heard of anything like this .. and google search also didn't showed up anything ... but if you have a link about it, i would love to see it

orioto

Good Art™
Medalion said:
Perhaps... but those took till the near end of the system's life to come out

And this will be Nintendo's first foray into HD territory, so it may take a few tries to reach the quality of what we're seeing there in those Dolphin shots

Wait wat ?
Mario Galaxy was handsome since the beginning. And don't get the comment on dolphin graphics. They already did that lol, it's just an hardware difference.

Lesiroth

Not to cut in on the SS talk, but how is the state of RE4Wii emulation? Last I heard, there were some game-breaking bugs and some sound issues. Has it improved? Also, I'd appreciate a recommended config for it.

orioto said:
The weird thing is that for exemple i tried Donkey Kong and it was the same speed (maybe 25 fps) regardless of my configuration, AA, no AA, 1080p, 720p... Shouldn't be dependent of the resolution of the buffer if there is a power problem ?

Try updating your video drivers. I have the same issue, but got a few good frames after updating.

whitehawk

Banned
Mr. Robot said:
Now imagine Wii-U games being emulated on dolphin. (I wish)
I think it will happen.

Wii is what, 2002/2003 hardware? We had Wii Emulation in 2008. 6 Years later.

Wii U hardware will be comparable to 2007/2008 hardware? (if It's a bit more powerful than the 360/PS3. It's already 3 years past that. I could see us getting Wii U emulation a couple years after release.

But will it be needed? The Wii U will already output HD resolutions. Unless you want resolution 1080p and above I suppose...

Ydahs

whitehawk said:
I think it will happen.

Wii U hardware will be comparable to 2007/2008 hardware? (if It's a bit more powerful than the 360/PS3. It's already 3 years past that. I could see us getting Wii U emulation a couple years after release.

But will it be needed? The Wii U will already output HD resolutions. Unless you want resolution 1080p and above I suppose...
I don't think it's that simple.

Beats

Fragile Dreams

r2gexj-142b0zzh.png

r2gexj-143lkbn3.png

The game is alright. I was playing it I think a couple of months ago but stopped to play other things. The environments are pretty good so far, and atmosphere is amazing. Combat feels a bit unnecessary or rather it feels like it shouldn't be there considering how stiff it is. Still, I like it enough to keep playing.

legend166

Did anyone ever figure out a fix for the intermittent audio crackle in Xenoblade? I can play through it, but the music is so good I want to listen to it.

Mr. Robot

iSurvivedTheOutage said:
Si def need a Wii to play these on my PC? Can I just download the Iso files from the net and play em?
Was nice knowing ya!

But to answer your question, you need a Wii (or a certain DVD drive) to rip the games you own to your pc, then you play them with the emulator.

Oreoleo

Mr. Robot said:
Was nice knowing ya!

If he owns the game in question I don't see the harm in tracking a copy down online to save the hassle of ripping the DVD. But uh, yeah, probably best to keep it to yourself just in case.

Mr. Robot said:
Was nice knowing ya!

But to answer your question, you need a Wii (or a certain DVD drive) to rip the games you own to your pc, then you play them with the emulator.

What did I do wrong?

Well I read up that with most games you need a motion sensor to play on your PC atleast for the initial calibration. I have no bar or bluetooth adapter. My motion sensor bar broke and I use candles :(

whitehawk

Banned
iSurvivedTheOutage said:
What did I do wrong?

Well I read up that with most games you need a motion sensor to play on your PC atleast for the initial calibration. I have no bar or bluetooth adapter. My motion sensor bar broke and I use candles :(
By saying "Can I just download the Iso files from the net and play em?", it usually means you intend to pirate a game.

whitehawk

Banned
iSurvivedTheOutage said:
Is that not what people do with emulators and roms?

This thread is misleading me.
What we do here (I hope) is hack our Wii to run homebrew applications. This allows us to rip our Wii games to a hard drive and play all our games off of there.

What this also allows us to do is connect that hard drive to our computers, and run those games that we ripped from the Wii DVDs, using Dolphin.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Do any of you think upgrading a Phenom II 925 (2.8 GHz, 4 core, limited overclocking ability) to a Phenom II 965 (3.6 GHz, 4 core, unlocked Overclocking) would be worth it? Some games run at about 80-90% speed, and I think all I need is just a slightly faster CPU to get them running well.

They seem to sell for about $115 retail on Amazon, and I am hoping that Newegg puts it on sale for Black Friday.

whitehawk said:
I think it will happen.

Really depends on the Hardware of the Wii U. The Wii is more or less just Gamecube Hardware, but better, so it was easy to build the Emulator off of what they already had. We don't know what is powering the Wii U yet though.

Top Bottom