• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Thoraxes

Drkirby said:
Do any of you think upgrading a Phenom II 925 (2.8 GHz, 4 core, limited overclocking ability) to a Phenom II 965 (3.6 GHz, 4 core, unlocked Overclocking) would be worth it? Some games run at about 80-90% speed, and I think all I need is just a slightly faster CPU to get them running well.

They seem to sell for about $115 retail on Amazon, and I am hoping that Newegg puts it on sale for Black Friday.
If you're confident in your overclocking abilities and appropriate heatsink and voltage control, without a doubt it'll do you better. I ended up snagging a 975 last Black Friday for only $140, and it was a nice upgrade from my Phenom I 9550 lol, not to mention it OCs like a pro.

Also i'm not sure if they run regular editions, but if by some freak laws of nature occur, make sure you buy the Black Edition.

whitehawk said:
What we do here (I hope) is hack our Wii to run homebrew applications. This allows us to rip our Wii games to a hard drive and play all our games off of there.

What this also allows us to do is connect that hard drive to our computers, and run those games that we ripped from the Wii DVDs, using Dolphin.

Oh ok. I do have a Wii but I hardly use it anymore, the motion sensor bar is broken thats why I asked the question. I really wouldnt mind seeing No more heroes in full HD! :D

Beats

whitehawk said:
What this also allows us to do is connect that hard drive to our computers, and run those games that we ripped from the Wii DVDs, using Dolphin.

You can also download off your Wii if you don't feel like getting a hard drive or whatever. It takes much longer though.

Drkirby said:
Do any of you think upgrading a Phenom II 925 (2.8 GHz, 4 core, limited overclocking ability) to a Phenom II 965 (3.6 GHz, 4 core, unlocked Overclocking) would be worth it? Some games run at about 80-90% speed, and I think all I need is just a slightly faster CPU to get them running well.

Depends which games you're looking to play. With the 955 at 3.8Ghz I get full speed on most games at 3x native. But games like Galaxy 2 I only get like 30-50fps with LLE. I'm not sure if there's any other really demanding games like that though.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I am hoping for small things, like a few extra frames in Sonic Colors and Xenoblade. Sonic runs at about 80% speed, and Xenoblade had spots that would start to dip into slower then normal speeds. Even Kirby Return to Dreamland had a few spots with slowdown.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Drkirby said:

They seem to sell for about $115 retail on Amazon, and I am hoping that Newegg puts it on sale for Black Friday.
It's only multiplier locked I believe. You can still get 3.4+ or so out of it I'd think. The BE editions aren't that big a deal and I wouldn't buy a new Phenom II if you already have one.
I'd just clock it higher and see where you get.

whitehawk said:
I think it will happen.

Wii is what, 2002/2003 hardware? We had Wii Emulation in 2008. 6 Years later.

Wii U hardware will be comparable to 2007/2008 hardware? (if It's a bit more powerful than the 360/PS3. It's already 3 years past that. I could see us getting Wii U emulation a couple years after release.

But will it be needed? The Wii U will already output HD resolutions. Unless you want resolution 1080p and above I suppose...
it's not nearly that simple. the only reason a wii emu was out so quickly is because it was based off the flipper/gecko tech used in the GC, which was already well on its way to being fully emulated when wii support came out (even that is still sketchy not as good as it could be). Note especially how there's absolutely no mentioning of ps3 or xbox360 emulation yet. Not only did hardware jump magnitudes in complexity with the introduction of large numbers of shaders this gen, but just the fact that the hardware itself is substantially more powerful than anything seen in a console to date means that in order to even begin to emulate them would require pcs with processing capabilities orders of magnitude faster than even the fastest pc's today.

Veal

Drkirby said:

Really depends on the Hardware of the Wii U. The Wii is more or less just Gamecube Hardware, but better, so it was easy to build the Emulator off of what they already had. We don't know what is powering the Wii U yet though.
Definitely. I'm running a PII 970 OC'd to 4Ghz. Outside of a little slowdown, it runs most things beautifully. The Zelda demo is a stunner and runs perfectly too! Gives me hope for the final release!

Dynamic3

jediyoshi said:
http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2011-11-1122-1d5uxg.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2011-11-1122-5cku78.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2011-11-1122-5w2ui9.jpg[img]

[img]http://www.abload.de/img/dolphin2011-11-1121-32nuxj.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Are there still audio issues with this game?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
iSurvivedTheOutage said:
Oh ok. I do have a Wii but I hardly use it anymore, the motion sensor bar is broken thats why I asked the question. I really wouldnt mind seeing No more heroes in full HD! :D

Nice save.

Nabs said:
It needs a fast CPU.

I was wondering about the same thing myself. People always say use LLE and I try it but then it goes slow even when I turn the resolution all the way down to 640x480 and turn AA and AF off. Something just doesn't seem right. I don't have the fastest computer but considering that it seems like so many people recommend LLE I feel that I should at least be seeing something more.

Windows 7 64 bit
Core i7 860
Radeon 5830

Okay. I think I'm spending the day taking the plunge into Dolphin. I already have a wireless sensor bar but need a bluetooth adapter. Is there any that someone can recommend? I realize there's that wiki list of compatible adapters in the OP but there are so many, I'm curious if there's any that are preferred by any Dolphin vets here.

Theonik

MCD said:
LLE always dips my framerate down.

Am I doing something wrong or what.
LLE is more CPU demanding but more accurate. Losing framerate unless if you have a pretty good CPU is normal.
It does fix most issues though.
Edit: Derp too slow, should have refreshed the page before replying.

One of the config options (Use DSP LLE on thread or something like that) is disabled by default, but if you enable it then it'll dedicate a separate thread for LLE audio processing, which should help the framerate out a bit.

zoukka

jediyoshi said:
dolphin2011-11-1122-1d5uxg.jpg

wtf that's insane.

Red

zoukka said:
wtf that's insane.
That's the value of IQ.

The Galaxy titles already look great, but bump up the resolution and anti aliasing and you've got yourself a stone cold stunner.

nincompoop said:
One of the config options (Use DSP LLE on thread or something like that) is disabled by default, but if you enable it then it'll dedicate a separate thread for LLE audio processing, which should help the framerate out a bit.

Thanks for this

Crunched said:
That's the value of IQ.

The Galaxy titles already look great, but bump up the resolution and anti aliasing and you've got yourself a stone cold stunner.
Indeed, but now that Thunderbear mentioned it, all I can see is the repeating texture on the lava on the left side. :(

Still looks amazing though.

Nekofrog

Banned
So do the Galaxy games still have the gamewrecking bug of the audio dropping out after 5 minutes?

Really really really want to play Galaxy 2, but everytime I put it on my Wii it just makes me go :( because of how much better I have SEEN it.

Red

Nekofrog said:
So do the Galaxy games still have the gamewrecking bug of the audio dropping out after 5 minutes?

Really really really want to play Galaxy 2, but everytime I put it on my Wii it just makes me go :( because of how much better I have SEEN it.
Answered above. Use LLE for audio.

whitehawk

Banned
Nekofrog said:

Yeah, same things happens to me :( It seems like a looping bug. The music is supposed to keep looping after it's finished playing, but Dolphin just plays it once.

edit: Time to use LLE.

What about the glitch where you can't pick up star bits with by pointing at the screen? I used to be able to do it, but now I can't. It's game breaking in Galaxy 2 since you can't use Yoshi's tongue.

MCD

Just made this rig. No way I'm changing anything now.

Will stick to regular sound till Dolphin gets better.

Thoraxes

It's the clock speed and lack of hyperthreading that make it slower to it's Intel counterparts. If you OC it you'll be fine for Dolphin play, and otherwise, it's a decent processor for everything else.

MCD

Thoraxes said:
It's the clock speed and lack of hyperthreading that make it slower to it's Intel counterparts. If you OC it you'll be fine for Dolphin play, and otherwise, it's a decent processor for everything else.
Real talk: I am too dumb and scared to overclock anything.

Super Mario 3D Land is so disappointing to look at after seeing those SMG2 shots yesterday, lol. Even more so considering it runs at only half the framerate.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I meant, do any of the emulators output higher resolution and make DS games look... not terrible.

whitehawk

Banned
Andrex said:
I meant, do any of the emulators output higher resolution and make DS games look... not terrible.
I could be wrong, but I think all emulators that emulate 3D consoles can output the games in higher resolution. I know the N64 emulator I use to use did the same thing. Hell we even have filters to "up-res" SNES games.

syko de4d

i need a bluetooth adapter for wiimote+, these two works?
Hama Nano-Bluetooth-USB-Adapter Version 2.1+EDR Class2
Hama Nano-Bluetooth-USB-Adapter Version 2.1+EDR Class1

Class2 is cheaper.

whitehawk said:
I could be wrong, but I think all emulators that emulate 3D consoles can output the games in higher resolution. I know the N64 emulator I use to use did the same thing. Hell we even have filters to "up-res" SNES games.
No, some emulators are written in a way that doesn't allow for any changes or improvements to be made. None of the DS emulators I've tried let you increase the rendering resolution. Hell, No$GBA doesn't even let you increase the size of the window above 256x384.

plc268

whitehawk said:

The N64 emulator also has the ability to replace textures in games. There's quite a variety of texture packs out there, hell one even makes OoT look like wind waker.

Nabs

Shouldn't it be fine as long as it turns on? I saw some at monoprice for 3 bucks, I may pick one up. I've been meaning to for a while now.

Dynamic3

syko de4d said:
i need a bluetooth adapter for wiimote+, these two works?
Hama Nano-Bluetooth-USB-Adapter Version 2.1+EDR Class2
Hama Nano-Bluetooth-USB-Adapter Version 2.1+EDR Class1

Class2 is cheaper.

Will something as generic as this work for the controller? Or perhaps I need something a little more advanced?

Mairu

Nabs said:
Shouldn't it be fine as long as it turns on? I saw some at monoprice for 3 bucks, I may pick one up. I've been meaning to for a while now.
Didn't know monoprice had these! Going to order one there now

Top Bottom