• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

jediyoshi

Shahadan said:
So I don't really have to go on a 3 hours+ trip to get my wii back? Cool, thanks. I should buy another nunchuk to go along that sweet golden wiimote.
Having a sensor bar is recommended though, Skyward Sword will probably be spotty without it.

Peterthumpa

amrod said:
What rev are u using?
Dx 9 or dx 11?
R7719, DX11, 4x internal resolution, lock thread to cores, 30 FPS limit, EFB Copies Virtual only, External Frame Buffer disabled, HLE audio, Audio Throttle disabled. Everything else default.

The M.O.B

Shahadan said:
So I don't really have to go on a 3 hours+ trip to get my wii back? Cool, thanks. I should buy another nunchuk to go along that sweet golden wiimote.

You can't even get to the menu without a sensor bar.

masterkajo

It looks like out of an art book. God, I hope I can solve my M+ problems (even with sensor bar it is acting strange). I guess it is my Bluetooth device. Seems there is a bit of lag so M+ resets itself while in motion. Anyone recommend a working Bluetooth USB adapter (preferably available via Amazon Europe so I don't have too wait to long).

Red

The first shot looks kind of gross, but the others are great. The third is :eek:

Looks like SS is using the same ugly cardboard-cutout mountains as TP did, but the art style helps smooth over the wrinkles.

Chairhome

The M.O.B said:
You can't even get to the menu without a sensor bar.
You can. you have to set it to hybrid remote, then it'll act like your mouse is the pointer. I've played the demo without a sensor bar.

Caelus

Some more Dolphin shots from that place where people go for Nintendo:
6348959222_57eb4daec8_o.jpg

6348210087_10199c1cf3_o.jpg

6348210613_1c667b5640_o.jpg

6348958820_2a16a13420_o.jpg

More from their Flickr gallery.
What gorgeous colors and contrast!

Red

Caelus, those shots are really muddy. I'm guessing you didn't take them, but they aren't much to look at either way.

felipepl's are much better.

Thoraxes

Ah the second ones are much better.
I have scrutinizing eyes though, so the lack of AA in the first set really turned me off until I saw the second set.

Peterthumpa

Thoraxes said:
Ah the second ones are much better.
I have scrutinizing eyes though, so the lack of AA in the first set really turned me off until I saw the second set.
You mean my images? Actually AA was enabled in both sets, but the first one had AF set to 1. Testing different AF values, there was no change in the way AF usually does (by making distant textures clearer), but it definitely solved the banding. Examples:

AF x 1:

ibz2UHL5plHEGu.jpg

AF x 16:

iZsvIZxzztbPV.jpg

Lin's hat is clearly better in the last shot.

Mistle

After trying SS out on Dolphin for myself, one of the main things I'll miss about playing it on Wii is seeing the brush-stroke depth of field. Unfortunately the Wii's resolution turns this into just a basic blur, with I just brush stroke "shapes". But on Dolphin you can really see the paint texture. It's a shame.
Another big positive apart from the obvious resolution increase, is the lack of colour banding. I'm noticing this a lot on the Wii.

I used the build recommended in this thread, but without anti-aliasing, and it worked great. However, even though running at 30fps, it seems so stutter quite often. Usually at an enemy encounter or something. There's also other graphic glitches, such as water rippling around the sword and some objects having a "ghosting" effect. Otherwise it looks great, but I'm still going to play on Wii, as I want to play the game cleanly with no glitches at all.

Red

The frame rate hiccups should smooth out the more you play. They were probably most evident in the dungeon. Try it one more time and see if you get the same results.

The "ghosting" you're seeing is misaligned bloom lighting. Twilight Princess had exactly the same problem. It's never been fixed.

It's not usually a problem, but it can make some scenes look very smeary.

As an example:

It bleeds out of the carpet, the windows, and the jars. The master sword almost always had this issue, throughout the entire game.

Peterthumpa

On a side note... who said that Rayman Origins wouldn't look good on Dolphin?

iPrqSDu7fo9hK.png

As someone pointed out, characters and a good chunk of the scenery seems vector based.

Thoraxes said:
How much AA did you have enabled in your first shots, 2x?
Actually, no AA at all. Just 4x the native internal resolution downscaled to 1080p.

Well, I fixed my aiming problem on Dolphin with the Zelda: SS demo.. I had to uncheck "skip EFB Access from CPU".. it caused the aiming of the slingshot to be off.. and that was what drove me back to the Wii from Dolphin.

Now I'll be able to enjoy the full game in its dolphin-enhanced glory on my tv..

2560x2112 downscaled to 1080p looks fantastic.. no jaggies anywhere.. still runs practically perfectly @ 30 fps..

Thoraxes

felipepl said:

http://i.minus.com/iPrqSDu7fo9hK.png

As someone pointed out, characters and a good chunk of the scenery seems vector based.

Actually, no AA at all. Just 4x the native internal resolution downscaled to 1080p.
Oh maybe you meant to just say AF the first time then. I was confused lol, because I pointed out the lack of AA in the images and then you said there was and now you're saying there isn't.

felipepl said:
You mean my images? Actually AA was enabled in both sets, but the first one had AF set to 1. Testing different AF values, there was no change in the way AF usually does (by making distant textures clearer), but it definitely solved the banding.

Also Origins looks pretty!

whitehawk

Banned
felipepl said:

iPrqSDu7fo9hK.png

That would be me.

But isn't it available on PC as well? What's the point then?

edit: Only PS3/360. Hmm I guess if you want 1080p+ then you have to go for Dolphin. However the backgrounds are ever so blurry.

Thoraxes

Haunted said:
Does Skyward Sword work without bugs/glitches? What are some of the issues encountered by you guys?
I haven't played it/don't have it myself, but from what people have been telling me there are some scenes here or there that for some reason don't run well/crash, but other than that the settings/build I provided for the demo seemed to have sufficed.

Man, seeing these images is making me hungry for some Dolphin action!!

Okay, so here are my options at this point for how to get it running on my TV:

1. Switch out my desktop for my HTPC (not the preferred approach because I like my desktop :)) and then I would have a Core i5 750 (2.67 GHz) CPU.

2. Upgrade my HTPC's processor from a PHENOM II X4 840 (3.2 GHz) to a Phenom II X4 980 Black Edition (3.7GHz).

When I look at Tom's Hardware CPU hierarchy chart, it puts the Phenom II X4 980 Black edition in the same category as the Core i5 750.

Which would be the best performing approach, all other things being equal?

Orayn said:
The i5 will most likely beat out the Phenom for Dolphin.
Color me totally surprised, actually... I know little about processors it seems.

Is there any better socket 3 AM3 processor out there? Any benefit to going to the 6-core one?

Thrakier

The i5 750 is still too slow...at lest for games that are demanding like SMG2. I still have framedrops in SMG2 and that's with an i5 2500k @4,2GHZ

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
whitehawk said:
That would be me.

But isn't it available on PC as well? What's the point then?

edit: Only PS3/360. Hmm I guess if you want 1080p+ then you have to go for Dolphin. However the backgrounds are ever so blurry.

No PC version because Ubi is pushing local multiplayer.

And the PS3/360 versions are 1080p/60fps.

sajj316

I'm hoping that the machine that I'm spec'ing out is more than enough for dolphin goodness.

i7 2600K
560 2GB card
16 GB DDR3
SSD drive or two

Those screens look delicious. If I can get 30 fps on SS at 1080p + tons of AA, I'll never leave home!

Haunted

Thoraxes said:
I haven't played it/don't have it myself, but from what people have been telling me there are some scenes here or there that for some reason don't run well/crash, but other than that the settings/build I provided for the demo seemed to have sufficed.
Hm.

Guess it depends on how frequent those badly running/crashing scenes are.

Andrex said:
No PC version because Ubi is pushing local multiplayer.
That doesn't even make sense. >_>

Xun

CloakBass said:
I might just seeing things, but it looks like there's a face hidden in the textures at corner of the window frame.
Just noticed it myself.

BY2K said:
Positively uncivil?

WHO TALKS LIKE THAT!?
A retarded character everyone here seems to love.

Haunted

Stallion Free said:
Holy shit, computers have multiple USB ports! - Ubisoft
haha

And then they notice that you don't even need multiple USB ports because one wireless receiver connects to up to 4 360 controllers. :p

So yeah, bullshit.

ON TOPIC: I'm not too familiar with the Dolphin scene, but I noticed that there are tons of Dolphin revisions out there - are these revision optimised for particular games or are they just adding new features/fixes on top of each other? Because I've seen people stick to older revisions, like 20+ revs back.

Takuan

Looking at those shots, I can't help but feel I wasted money buying a Wii. Some of those screens really are incredible.

Chairhome

Haunted said:
haha

And then they notice that you don't even need multiple USB ports because one wireless receiver connects to up to 4 360 controllers. :p

So yeah, bullshit.

ON TOPIC: I'm not too familiar with the Dolphin scene, but I noticed that there are tons of Dolphin revisions out there - are these revision optimised for particular games or are they just adding new features/fixes on top of each other? Because I've seen people stick to older revisions, like 20+ revs back.
Some of the older revisions are built to run specific games well. Newer revisions have newer features, but may break some things from older builds.

jett

D-Member
felipepl said:

http://i.minus.com/iPrqSDu7fo9hK.png[img]

Actually, no AA at all. Just 4x the native internal resolution downscaled to 1080p.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't look good at all compared to the HD versions.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
felipepl said:

iPrqSDu7fo9hK.png

Eh, that really doesn't look good at all. Some bits of the scenery are decently clear, but it has a very mixed appearance with half of the scene appearing rather pixelated. Only the active bits are sharp, the rest of the scenery is pretty bad.

Much better to stick with the 360/PS3 versions of the game for proper 1080p support.

Haunted

Chairhome said:
Some of the older revisions are built to run specific games well. Newer revisions have newer features, but may break some things from older builds.
Yeah, that's how I imagined it to be - I'm crossing my fingers for a [near]-perfect Skyward Sword revision, then. :D

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Takuan said:
Looking at those shots, I can't help but feel I wasted money buying a Wii. Some of those screens really are incredible.

Well, you need to have a Wii if you want to rip the discs.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Takuan said:
Still need a Wii (unless you can find the rare optical drives that work) to rip your game discs, so it's not a waste! ;)

StevieP

Banned
Playing Xenoblade and the SS demo, I'm noticing the lack of true analog control from my (real) nunchuck a lot more in SS than in Xenoblade. Link is harder to control without the full range of analog movement. Is there a fix for this anywhere? Using 7739m I believe (or whatever the recommended one for Xenoblade is).

Tried the latest SVN build and it had the same issue I think.

CloakBass said:
I might just seeing things, but it looks like there's a face hidden in the textures at corner of the window frame.

It seems a doorknocker like this, but only with an half of ring:

door_knocker.jpg

What the hell they were thinking when textured this game...

Top Bottom