• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Citizen K

Damn this game is pretty.

soue01-17loxwk.png

soue01-16kuzin.png

soue01-14hnbq5.png

soue01-9p7a3v.png

soue01-8meljg.png

soue01-116ozsk.png

thatbox

Banned
these look really good
honestly, i would not regret playing this if i had to play it on my wii
I really thought I would feel the same way, but the aliasing, color banding, screen door artifacting with some effects, and weird vertical lines and signal creep wound up distracting me more than I anticipated. Just copied my save file over to my PC and now I feel much more immersed.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I can't believe that my computer can run SS 1080p this well. I'm on my 50" plasma, it's amazing. I'm even using the candle trick for a sensor bar, ha.

But I am getting a little bit of a ghosted image on the backgrounds, like blurred with diagonal lines running through them. Is that because of a certain setting?

Mudkips

Banned
So I'm just setting up Dolphin and testing stuff.
I got the Wiimote to work with my built-in bluetooth thingy, and tested with Wiiplay (don't have SS yet, stupid ONTRAC says they don't have my package from Amazon).

Some stupid questions:
How do I turn the Wiimote off?
Can you access a Wii System Menu / transfer Miis over?
What's the best interim solution for a sensor bar? I was thinking of bringing my Wii to my PC (or running Dolphin on my other PC, but it's pretty weak), and turning the Wii on and letting it idle, just for the sensor bar.

Anyone know what voltages the Wii sensor bar wants (and which pin is + and which -)? I could totally just wire up some fucking batteries to it.

jediyoshi

How do I turn the Wiimote off?
Can you access a Wii System Menu / transfer Miis over?
What's the best interim solution for a sensor bar? I was thinking of bringing my Wii to my PC (or running Dolphin on my other PC, but it's pretty weak), and turning the Wii on and letting it idle, just for the sensor bar.
Hold onto the power button to turn it off.
You can access the system menu through this process
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32845171&postcount=5975

You can probably transfer over Miis through the Wiimote transfer process like normal
There's a pretty wide selection of wireless sensor bars for sale online, moving your Wii over isn't very practical

Mudkips

Banned
Hold onto the power button to turn it off.
You can access the system menu through this process
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32845171&postcount=5975

You can probably transfer over Miis through the Wiimote transfer process like normal
There's a pretty wide selection of wireless sensor bars for sale online, moving your Wii over isn't very practical

I was afraid holding the power button would turn on my Wii and break all the connection horseshit I fumbled through to get it to connect to my PC, but I guess I'll try it and make sure it doesn't also turn on my Wii.

Yeah, I've ordered a wireless sensor bar (seems to me someone could make a few bucks by selling a USB one...), but it won't be here for a while.

Mudkips

Banned
Hm? I don't do this. I just go to the Dolphin Wii remote menu start hitting 1 and 2 on my remote and click on pair up. Works fine for me.

For me Windows pops up several fucking "herp derp new hardware let me search for drivers again" messages during the pairing process. Every time.

So looks like everything works and I can successfully shut off the remote without turning on/off the Wii (after another 8 rounds of pairing it to the PC). I do have a bit of audio skipping, though.

Just need to wait for my wireless sensor bar. I was testing with

hzHT5.jpg

stuck in used
hd2vQ.jpg

Yeah, I've ordered a wireless sensor bar (seems to me someone could make a few bucks by selling a USB one...), but it won't be here for a while.

They exist do. A few pages back a couple people mentioned using this: http://www.nextronicsllc.com/shop/sensorbarhd.php

I'm planning on getting one and powering it via my TV's spare USB port. However, I am still looking around to find out if I can find one for less than the Sensor Bar HD, since it cost $22 while I can get a wireless one for only $4.

Hellish

I have been youtubing a few dolphin eyefinity videos and was surprised people have it running with proper aspect ratios, its crazy

Holy shit. Skyward Sword looks AMAZING on Dolphin. I may get a BT dongle and a wireless sensor bar soon and replay it on Dolphin. The first thing I noticed when playing on my Wii is the aliasing.

Medalion

Banned
I feel kinda weird asking this after all this time. I use Dolphin but it was mainly a Gamecube emulator for me where I could emulate the controller on keyboard. Now that I want to play Skyward Sword on Dolphin I am forced to have to get the Wii remote involved. I have never gotten the Wii remote to work properly with my computer.

I have a Bluetooth usb dongle I hooked to my windows 7 pc. As far as I can tell it connects properly when I put the wii remote in discoverable mode by holding 1+2, pair it without code, and it shows up in my bluetooth devices. But when I try to pair it in Dolphin, nothing happens, even when set the controller to say REAL WIIMOTE, and click PAIR UP, the lights on my wii remote go out as if it is not transferring or receiving data. I even tried holding 1+2 for a long time during all this, still no good.

I am at a loss how to fix this, any ideas?

reektann

I feel kinda weird asking this after all this time. I use Dolphin but it was mainly a Gamecube emulator for me where I could emulate the controller on keyboard. Now that I want to play Skyward Sword on Dolphin I am forced to have to get the Wii remote involved. I have never gotten the Wii remote to work properly with my computer.

I have a Bluetooth usb dongle I hooked to my windows 7 pc. As far as I can tell it connects properly when I put the wii remote in discoverable mode by holding 1+2, pair it without code, and it shows up in my bluetooth devices. But when I try to pair it in Dolphin, nothing happens, even when set the controller to say REAL WIIMOTE, and click PAIR UP, the lights on my wii remote go out as if it is not transferring or receiving data. I even tried holding 1+2 for a long time during all this, still no good.

The way I did mine was to right click the bluetooth icon bottom right, add a device. I pressed the red button inside the battery compartment and it popped up - went through the wizard and set it to pair without a code. It installed drivers and said all ok. Went to dolphin, gamepad section, real wiimote. Pressed 'refresh' and it vibrated and paired up fine.

I guess if that doesn't work, it might be your dongle?

if my Wii looked as good on my TV as those CRT shots i'd be playing it on CRT. i'd rather play it looking like that without the *minor* occasional slow down I get on Dolphin and the rare audio glitches I experienced for about five minutes last night.

since it doesn't, thank fuck for dolphin. i will be shocked if the game is playable in Dolphin from start to finish. i am already shocked that it runs so goddamn well and looks so goddamn good in it since most Wii games i've ripped before HAVEN'T. here's one of the best looking Wii games and it runs almost perfectly at launch. in 1080p.

dolphin2011-11-2222-4fhd4q.png

double posting so this fits nicely on screen.

the way i do it is i hold 1+2 until windows says it has succesfully installed the device and needs to restart (obviously i don't restart). then i hit 'Refresh' in Dolphin. your wii remote should buzz and light up player 1.

if you haven't already, you might need to install the broadcom bluetooth stack.

which you can find here

Varna

For me Windows pops up several fucking "herp derp new hardware let me search for drivers again" messages during the pairing process. Every time.

So looks like everything works and I can successfully shut off the remote without turning on/off the Wii (after another 8 rounds of pairing it to the PC). I do have a bit of audio skipping, though.

Just need to wait for my wireless sensor bar. I was testing with

hzHT5.jpg

stuck in used
hd2vQ.jpg

I'll get the sensor bar down the line. I'm just using the Wii's sensor bar for now. Works fine if I pair up the controller with Dolphin before I turn it on.

reektann and plagiarize have mentioned it already, but are you clicking 'refresh' after 'pair up'?

Uchip

Banned
the sensor bar doesnt seem to stop the wiimote from glitching in skyward sword
sometimes ill try to do a stab and it just wont happen, no matter how many times i try
eventually it worked though :|

Gwanatu T

the sensor bar doesnt seem to stop the wiimote from glitching in skyward sword
sometimes ill try to do a stab and it just wont happen, no matter how many times i try
eventually it worked though :|

I've been having weird issues with Motion+ as well. For instance about an hour in to the game after slashing quite a bit, the cursor was going crazy even though I set it down. Holding down on the d-pad and pointing it at the screen/sensorbar did nothing, and I had to just set it down for a little while and wait until it was done freaking out.

Gwanatu T

When I first tried out Zelda in Dolphin yesterday, I noticed these strange squares at the top of the screen. There are also some black lines flashing irregularly in certain walls or floors, which don't show up in screenshots.

soup01-99form.png

When I started the game today, everything looked fine and I could play for about one hour. Then all of a sudden, the artefacts made their return. A restart made them go away, but they appeared again after a few minutes. Now I can't get rid of them at all. Even when I restart, they are there right from the beginning.

I didn't change settings or anything during that time. Always used r7719 and felipepl's settings. Did somebody else notice this issue on their PC? Since I'm using the same settings as everyone else, is my GPU dying or something?

My PC: i5 750, HD6950, Win7 64

I'm having the same issue, wondering if it's an ATI problem? I've got a Phenom 2 X4, HD6870 and Win 7 64. Would love to get this fixed, it's bizarre and only happens in certain places (wall, floor, rocks) and for certain textures.

I'm having the same issue, wondering if it's an ATI problem? I've got a Phenom 2 X4, HD6870 and Win 7 64. Would love to get this fixed, it's bizarre and only happens in certain places (wall, floor, rocks) and for certain textures.

Applying some AA makes them go away, or at least it did in my case. Not sure about your motion+ issue. Only time mine has gone weird was because the batteries were low.

Red

5870 here, no problems.

Gwanatu T

Applying some AA makes them go away, or at least it did in my case. Not sure about your motion+ issue. Only time mine has gone weird was because the batteries were low.

Great suggestions, the AA fixed the flickering, and apparently the batteries were low, because I've played for well over an hour this morning and haven't had any issues with the M+ screwing up. Thanks!

irriadin

So, is there a good recommendation for a good bluetooth dongle and/or sensor bar? I'm wading through the list of supported bluetooth devices, but I'm not having any luck finding things that are in stock or are still available.

Tendo

I have a 2500k and 260gtx. What kind of performance can I expect out of Skyward Sword? Should I be able to run it at a near constant 30fps?

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
I have a 2500k and 260gtx. What kind of performance can I expect out of Skyward Sword? Should I be able to run it at a near constant 30fps?

I would assume so. I have a i7 2600 and gtx 460 with high internal resolution

scitek

I'm trying to play Metroid Prime Trilogy and it keeps telling me my Wiimote's losing communication. Is there any known fix for that? v7719 btw.

Medalion

Banned
Thanks for the help earlier guys

I've got Skyward Sword running finally on my computer with wiimote behaving as it should, though it took a lot of tries to pair it right in what sequence etc etc

I have my Wii IR sensor bar on my monitor with my Wii next to it, it behaves as it should controller wise

but the game is so freaking slow that I have had to scale back a number of enhancements to get a decent frame rate

I am not sure what page to look for, anybody have any recommended Dolphin settings for the latest release for this game? Also ideally to get rid of that blur DOF filter as well

thanks

nluckett

So, if I wanted to buy a PC just for Dolphin, what would I need? I only use a Mac laptop generally, so I wouldnt need it for work. I would just want to hook it up to my HDTV and treat it like an HD Wii.

So, what are the basic components I would need? Slim case, motherboard+cpu, graphics card... some ram. Power source. How small could I make this thing?

StevieP

Banned
small-computer-case-357.jpg

Any micro ATX (HTPC) case and micro ATX motherboard based on Intel Z68 or P67 chipsets will do. Throw in an i5 2500k (or i7 2600k if you have $100 extra to blow). A mid-high end GPU in the $200 range should suffice, and they all have HDMI out nowadays. 8GB of DDR3, 500w PSU and you're set.

Well, that, and a bluetooth adapter/wireless sensor bar.

Kjellson

I have two questions:

1. Do you have to be really good with computers to use Dolphin?
2. Do you have to have a really good computer to use Dolphin?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I have two questions:

1. Do you have to be really good with computers to use Dolphin?
2. Do you have to have a really good computer to use Dolphin?

1. Sort of. Ripping discs and setting up the controlers seems to be the hardest part.
2. To make games look as amazing as those posted in this thread, yes. For native res, probably not.

nluckett

Any micro ATX (HTPC) case and micro ATX motherboard based on Intel Z68 or P67 chipsets will do. Throw in an i5 2500k (or i7 2600k if you have $100 extra to blow). A mid-high end GPU in the $200 range should suffice, and they all have HDMI out nowadays. 8GB of DDR3, 500w PSU and you're set.

Well, that, and a bluetooth adapter/wireless sensor bar.

Awesome! Thanks, I will start looking into this stuff. If I have any more questions I throw them out as I go. This also means I could play Xenoblade...

Top Bottom