• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

desu

Stallion Free said:
there is an English version of Xenoblade coming out in the US at some point this year under the title "Monado: Beginning of the World"

Sadly right now there is no date or anything regarding the release date of the game.

Took tons of screens, will upload them later.

Shaneus

Anony said:
looking at the latest svn's, alot of the settings have changed

there's no option of gamecube pad plugins anymore from the options->configure menu
and when i go into the options->gamecube pad settings, there's no 360 option anymore

and as mentioned previously, there's no 2xAA anymore, lowest starts at 4 now
Anyone know anything about the 360 controller issue? Is there a single file I can replace (the main exe?) that will drop it back so controller support's back again? I just got everything running on my TV perfectly and now I can't play GC stuff :lol

Edit: They removed the plugin. It's easy enough to reconfig the 360 controller anyway, so there's no need to worry :)

jediyoshi

040A7D60 4E800020
04109D88 38800001
= unlocked camera

dolphin2010-06-2218-070rqb.jpg

dolphin2010-06-2202-51sqim.jpg

Wozz

Neo Member
Stallion Free said:
Use "disable fog" to fix the top left corner, I updated my Mario Kart config with that fix.

Awesome that fixed that!
One more issue now, I was hoping it was just a one off but it's not.
I can save games fine but whenever I try to load (have tried with a few different releases and different games) the game just freezes, speed goes to like 6000% and same with FPS, if I leave it long enough dolphin will just crash.

The first time I loaded a game it worked fine but no luck since.. I've got 2 different PCs and its doing it on both

Nabs

That's weird. Are you using Save States or something? Those don't work too well, and aren't recommended.

jediyoshi

new build out is probably going to make some people happy

- RGBA8 (DX9/OGL): 10x speed up on Radeon 5450, 2x speed up on other cards due to swizzle registers.
- RGB565: 2-3x speed up on all hardware
OpenCL is now optimally complete for DX9/OGL. The code is very fast on all supported hardware. No more updates are needed unless the spec changes or drivers improve. When I started, the OpenCL code was as slow or slower than CPU. Now, using the lowest end radeon that supports the code: a Radeon 45xx mobility, I experience a substantial 2-10x speedup over CPU. The benefits are more pronounced with modern hardware. A Radeon 5870 runs this code 20x faster than a 4550. Even ignoring speedups, the code benefits users by not using CPU for intermittent texture loads (unless GPU is your bottleneck). Instead, the CPU is able to do more important tasks.

dolphin2010-06-2323-10katl.jpg

dolphin2010-06-2402-28cbzn.jpg

Chao

Yeah but when in the hell are they going to release the OSX build again? I tried all kinds of mumbo jumbo hax to build it myself, but I know shit about that stuff.
Tried that downloader/builder but I don't know what am I supossed to do with the files I get.

domlolz

Banned
Just posting to say Dolphin is fuckin' awesome

Really, really impressed by the Wii emulation. It's only Mario Galaxy that is a bit slow for me unfortunately-on my E7400 core2duo @ 3.1ghz

Zezboob

Ok, sorry guys, I am probably the 1545th guy who asks advices for his setup :D

I have currently :
Phenom II X4 945
Radeon HD 3200 (integrated)

I don't want to change my processor, since it implies to change everything. But I know that Dolphin is essentially based on the CPU, but I believe that in my setup, the GPU is too low.

So I want to know if it's interesting for me to upgrade my GPU for cheap but correct and staying with my current CPU or if I should forget about all of this.
(oh and yes, I want to avoid overclocking since the proc is not a BE)

EGM92

Zezboob said:
Ok, sorry guys, I am probably the 1545th guy who asks advices for his setup :D

I have currently :
Phenom II X4 945
Radeon HD 3200 (integrated)

I don't want to change my processor, since it implies to change everything. But I know that Dolphin is essentially based on the CPU, but I believe that in my setup, the GPU is too low.

So I want to know if it's interesting for me to upgrade my GPU for cheap but correct and staying with my current CPU or if I should forget about all of this.
(oh and yes, I want to avoid overclocking since the proc is not a BE)

You need a better video card, your GPU is pathetic and can barely render anything, including 2d games (I have the same integrated GPU on my board). OC that 945 to 3.5+Ghz grab some +HD57xx card and at least 4GB of DDR3 ram and you're good to go.

jediyoshi said:
new build out is probably going to make some people happy

Quote:
- RGBA8 (DX9/OGL): 10x speed up on Radeon 5450, 2x speed up on other cards due to swizzle registers.
- RGB565: 2-3x speed up on all hardware
OpenCL is now optimally complete for DX9/OGL. The code is very fast on all supported hardware. No more updates are needed unless the spec changes or drivers improve. When I started, the OpenCL code was as slow or slower than CPU. Now, using the lowest end radeon that supports the code: a Radeon 45xx mobility, I experience a substantial 2-10x speedup over CPU. The benefits are more pronounced with modern hardware. A Radeon 5870 runs this code 20x faster than a 4550. Even ignoring speedups, the code benefits users by not using CPU for intermittent texture loads (unless GPU is your bottleneck). Instead, the CPU is able to do more important tasks.

Oh wow, this will be great. Maybe I can eek out 100% speed on SMG, finally. If only No More Heroes worked past the intro. :(

EGM92 said:
You need a better video card, your GPU is pathetic and can barely render anything, including 2d games (I have the same integrated GPU on my board). OC that 945 to 3.5+Ghz grab some +HD57xx card and at least 4GB of DDR3 ram and you're good to go.

Does it really need that much GPU power? I was under the impression that most modern GPUs ran it fine. (8800+)

So does the new build with OpenCL support translate to better CPU performance? I still can't get full FPS on every game on my PII clocked to 3.9GHz.

gregor7777 said:
Does it really need that much GPU power? I was under the impression that most modern GPUs ran it fine. (8800+)

Well the 5770 is probably the best bang for you buck card on the market right now, but yeah you're right. Although there's no sense in buying an 8800 today though, for example.

TouchMyBox said:
Well the 5770 is probably the best bang for you buck card on the market right now, but yeah you're right. Although there's no sense in buying an 8800 today though, for example.

That's what I figured. Though the 9800->GT250 were essentially 8800's, no?

But yeah, I wouldn't buy anything less than a 5770 if I was starting from scratch.

hey guys, could anyone of you recommend me a cool n' quiet GPU? I have a HTPC and I'd like to upgrade my current GPU (ATI 4550) just for Dolphin.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
gregor7777 said:
That's what I figured. Though the 9800->GT250 were essentially 8800's, no?

But yeah, I wouldn't buy anything less than a 5770 if I was starting from scratch.
Yeah, the 9800 series (or at least the GX2, which I had) was really just two 8800's in SLI. The drivers even saw it as 2 cards in SLI.

And this man is wise, you really shouldn't go any lower than a 5770 if starting from scratch.

Zezboob

EGM92 said:
Haha yeah I know about my GPU, I was thinking about taking a HD5750 with passive heatpipe or a very quiet HD5770.

But if I need to overclock my CPU to have a correct framerate I prefer to forget about it. :/

Zezboob said:
Haha yeah I know about my GPU, I was thinking about taking a HD5750 with passive heatpipe or a very quiet HD5770.

But if I need to overclock my CPU to have a correct framerate I prefer to forget about it. :/

The stock 5770 with the heatpipe cooler is very quiet already. So don't worry about noise being an issue. If you can afford the 5770 get it as it's a nice bump for the little difference in price from the 5750. If you can only fit a 5750 in your budget, it's still a great card. As far as CPU goes, your cpu at stock is fine, but overclocking is still recommended. If you're not chasing every last frame you can though, you should be happy with the results at stock settings. The new build of Dolphin which has openCL support gave my 3.6GHz Phenom II a huge boost in framerate in the games which were running sub-60fps beforehand. So I wouldn't worry about it.

On a side note to you Metroid fans, what is the best version of metroid prime 1+2 to play on Dolphin? the originals? or Metroid Prime Trilogy? I would assume trilogy because it means some mean mouse and keyboard controls, but is there anything wrong with the emulation in trilogy?

I've updated to the DX10 Jun 2010 files, but I still can't get my 5770 to recognize that I can run OpenCL. I'm running Catalyst 10.4. What am I missing?

mikespit1200 said:
I've updated to the DX10 Jun 2010 files, but I still can't get my 5770 to recognize that I can run OpenCL. I'm running Catalyst 10.4. What am I missing?

Maybe try Catalyst 10.6 and see if anything else is running with OpenCL? Why are you trying OpenCL anyway when D3D will do?

jediyoshi

new builds lately have been pretty godly. r5777 fixed a bunch of frame rate problems i had while capturing and some issues with brawl.

dolphin2010-06-2323-08nciy.jpg

dolphin2010-06-2411-482g36.jpg

ggp759

Banned
Can someone please help me? I have a E8400 4gb ram and radeon 4870 512mb. Whatever i try i cant get a stable framerate for games especially SMG2. I have tried the op's suggestions tried different resolutions and various image quality settings on and off. When i was first playing NSMB back in December i could run everything fine on 1920x1200. I have all the latest drivers and updates for my hardware and using windows 7 32bit. And can anyone please provide a link for the famous latest build since i cant find it on dolphin site neither on the svn thread discussion since there are so many builds. thanks in advance guys

vocab

DanDeschain said:
Anyway to run TVC perfectly yet? Anybody have any settings for it?

Not perfectly, but playable to an extent. I learned Ryu's BnB into super in like 5 mins though. I just mess around in Training mode. Wish this game was on PS3/360 so bad :lol

abstract alien said:
This has to be doctored or shopped in some sort of way. I mean, that is honestly TOO good o_O

Why exactly? Nothing too startling about that image, the model is reasonably high poly but there's nothing particularly impressive outside of that fact.

brain_stew said:
Why exactly? Nothing too startling about that image, the model is reasonably high poly but there's nothing particularly impressive outside of that fact.
Its just a gorgeous grab, I wasn't speaking in a literal sense about being shopped or doctored. I just find it quite beautiful, especially his face.

Jin34

Still no explanation for the removal of 2.25x SSAA? That setting ran w/o a performance hit that I could perceive where as 4x SSAA just cripples my framerate.

Top Bottom