• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

PAL version, and yes i have Cheats Enable.
Use:
Code:
PAL-16:9 Widescreen Hack 
044558DC 3FE38E39

You've probably done all this, but make sure Cheats are enabled, the tick box for the code is checked after you add it, and "Force 16:9" is selected. The HUD and menus should still be stretched but the game should render properly.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
... Dolphin emulates N64 games too?? I mean I know all sorts of emus exist for the Wii and I guess they'd run on Dolphin too... Emuception!

Anyway, I do recall texture seams always being visible in N64 games, but low res used to make it quite as obvious.

It's great to use Dolphin to emulate N64 games, because that lets you use the Dolphin perks, like playing Super Mario 64 in 3D!

(Cross your eyes to make the images overlap to see it in 3D)
3d_by_alo81-d6ikxri.png

Ostinatto

Use:
Code:
PAL-16:9 Widescreen Hack 
044558DC 3FE38E39

You've probably done all this, but make sure Cheats are enabled, the tick box for the code is checked after you add it, and "Force 16:9" is selected. The HUD and menus should still be stretched but the game should render properly.

i figured out, i was not reseting dolphin after making a change xD

looks pretty good now, thanks.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
wut? you are joking right?

Nope. It does totally work. If you wanted, you could technically play an entire game in 3D with your eyes crossed if you had one eye rendered on each side of the screen and crossed them.

Once you get good at it it's incredibly easy to do and makes easily sharing 3D stuff much easier.

I actually made a little tutorial on it a while ago to try and help people learn it.

tumblr_ml1xo9iJz31s6sd6lo1_1280.png

tumblr_ml1xo9iJz31s6sd6lo2_1280.png

In the above image, the D will pop out of the screen, the 3 will be inside the screen, and the red lines will be at the screen level.

Edit: I hope this isn't getting too off topic but for a great example of 3D in games if you wanna practice on it, Mirrors Edge looks mindblowingly good in 3D.

Here's an example that I shrunk down so it should be easier to cross your eyes and see.

NM7Grr7.png

And here's a full size example that looks really, really great.

iSAb5B26xzyNQ.jpg

And to keep it more relevant to Dolphin - Here's is the Xenoblade Chronicles title screen in 3D.

televator

I can't do it. I briefly saw the D pop out ant it sorta startled me. lol! Plus I physically feel like I'm straining/tiring something out above my eyelids when trying to cross my eyes.

Foaloal

I love cross eyed 3D, I'm a pro at it.
I have two identical monitors so sometimes I play games in 3D with each screen being one eye's perspective.

The problem is I have a 7950, and AMD's 3D support doesn't seem so great, I have to use triDef which just doesn't seem to work very good at all, i.e. it messes up GUIs and causes all kinds of weird graphical bugs in most games I've tried.

Those 3D shots look awesome Alo81, I especially like the effect in the Mario 64 shot.

I never noticed 3D options in Dolphin, how are you achieving it? Is it an option in Dolphin, some kind of mod for Dolphin, or using another tool (Nvidia 3D, Tridef/etc.)?

Edit: Looks like the 3D vision option is right there in the menu, but it's for Nvidia only :(

Maybe there's a trick to run it on AMD cards but I doubt it

Foaloal

so how do you legally get your legally obtained virtual console games from your wii to pc for dolphin? (legally)

I would assume you need to have your Wii softmodded, and then there's probably a homebrew program out there to extract the virtual console files and copy them to a hard drive or something to play on your PC.

I've never tried playing my VC games on Dolphin, so I can't really give more specifics.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I can't do it. I briefly saw the D pop out ant it sorta startled me. lol! Plus I physically feel like I'm straining/tiring something out above my eyelids when trying to cross my eyes.

Here's a small tip for learning, you're probably crossing your eyes way too much. For the smaller images (like the blue and red 3D test image) , if you're sitting a reasonable distance away from your monitor your eyes should be pretty narrowly crossed.

As an example, here's me making a dumb face while looking at the 3D test image from above.

9E7G8W6.gif

It's barely noticable how much my eyes actually move to see the 3D. It sorta looks like a slightly lazy eye!

You've just gotta have a bit of finesse with it!

I love cross eyed 3D, I'm a pro at it.
I have two identical monitors so sometimes I play games in 3D with each screen being one eye's perspective.

The problem is I have a 7950, and AMD's 3D support doesn't seem so great, I have to use triDef which just doesn't seem to work very good at all, i.e. it messes up GUIs and causes all kinds of weird graphical bugs in most games I've tried.

Those 3D shots look awesome Alo81, I especially like the effect in the Mario 64 shot.

I never noticed 3D options in Dolphin, how are you achieving it? Is it an option in Dolphin, some kind of mod for Dolphin, or using another tool (Nvidia 3D, Tridef/etc.)?

Edit: Looks like the 3D vision option is right there in the menu, but it's for Nvidia only :(

Maybe there's a trick to run it on AMD cards but I doubt it

Yeah sorry I'm not sure if there is any AMD support in Dolphin.

For what it's worth, there's Tridef support in PCSX2 and no 3D Vision support, so you've got me beat when it comes to 3D gaming on PS2 =p

Gvaz

Banned
my wired 360 controller keeps saying that communications with the wii remote have been interrupted. I'm not sure what's going on...

Can anyone recommend a Bluetooth adapter for PC? I'm looking through a list of compatible adapters (wanting to play Skyward Sword) and there are so many. Any help would be great.

Malajax

Anyone have any ideas on how to re sync an emulated wiimote?

Been playing xenoblade, and I starting texting someone. Got back to the game and it said that communications have been interrupted. I couldn't do anything, so I saved the state and closed it. Loaded it up again and still nothing. I was missing a "home" button on my emulated set up and I thought that would be the key, but when I pressed my new key (L3, using a ds3) nothing happened. Am I screwed? Would lose around 30 min of gameplay otherwise. It's not a huge deal, but stuff like this happening makes me want to move on to another game :/.

Anyone have any ideas on how to re sync an emulated wiimote?

Been playing xenoblade, and I starting texting someone. Got back to the game and it said that communications have been interrupted. I couldn't do anything, so I saved the state and closed it. Loaded it up again and still nothing. I was missing a "home" button on my emulated set up and I thought that would be the key, but when I pressed my new key (L3, using a ds3) nothing happened. Am I screwed? Would lose around 30 min of gameplay otherwise. It's not a huge deal, but stuff like this happening makes me want to move on to another game :/.
I believe pressing Alt+F5 should do the trick.

BigFwoosh

Is there a trick to getting a Dualshock 4 to work in Dolphin? I plugged mine in through USB and Dolphin doesn't seem to pick it up in the GCPad settings.

Edit: Nevermind, all is well now.

BadWolf

Just got a Dual Shock 3 controller working on PC (tried it with Steam and it works) but I cant seem to get it to work with Dolphin.

I can go to options and set up the controllers inputs but it doesnt do anything in-game. I have Standard Controller as the input under GC settings in Configure and tried to disable Wiimote but still nothing.

EDIT: Got it to work, woohoo.

Rich!

I'm new to Dolphin and curious if it's normal to see texture seams in Mario 64, or maybe there's a setting I could try to change? (Dolphin 4.0.2 / Geforce GTX 480 gpu)

xtOA1Um.png

You can't get rid of that.

That's simply what happens when you upscale N64 flat sprites, models and textures to a higher resolution. The white borders and seams were always there.

If you open up a Mario 64 rom in it's level editor (toad's tool), you can see that floor in the image there is made up of two separate blocks - hence the seam when you upscale it. Same for that slope - it's a wedge.

If you run it at it's native 320x240 resolution, you'll get rid of those seams.

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Hm, upgraded to a 7970 from a 560ti and it doesn't seem to play nice with Dolphin. In particular, there's a lot of problems with the sound. Popping and static, and the music occasionally plays much too fast before fixing itself after a few seconds. Is this normal for AMD cards?

dani_dc

so how do you legally get your legally obtained virtual console games from your wii to pc for dolphin? (legally)

I basically backed up the entire Wii into a NAND file and then put it into Dolphin.
I don't recall the details since I did it some time ago, but I imagine it would work more or less like described here:
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=NAND_Usage_Guide

This allowed me to boot up the Wii menu from Dolphin, and then the Virtual Console games themselves.

I'm unaware of how to rip VC on a game-per-game basis, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't a way to do so.
From what I gather those files would be called WAD, and Dolphin allows to boot them like regular Wii games or install them into the "Wii" system menu.

JakeD

I basically backed up the entire Wii into a NAND file and then put it into Dolphin.
I don't recall the details since I did it some time ago, but I imagine it would work more or less like described here:
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=NAND_Usage_Guide

This allowed me to boot up the Wii menu from Dolphin, and then the Virtual Console games themselves.

I'm unaware of how to rip VC on a game-per-game basis, but I'd be shocked if there wasn't a way to do so.
From what I gather those files would be called WAD, and Dolphin allows to boot them like regular Wii games or install them into the "Wii" system menu.

cool thanks, i will check it out!

Garteal

Hm, upgraded to a 7970 from a 560ti and it doesn't seem to play nice with Dolphin. In particular, there's a lot of problems with the sound. Popping and static, and the music occasionally plays much too fast before fixing itself after a few seconds. Is this normal for AMD cards?
No. Whatever issues you're having has nothing to do with the GPU.

1. What are your specs?
  2. What Dolphin version are using?
  3. What are your settings?
  4. What game are you playing?

Just so I'm clear

I don't need to do anything else but buy a couple of Wii and Gamecube games I want to play, put the disc in my PC, and Dolphin will play them right off the disc?

In particular I'm looking at

Resident Evil for GC, Resident Evil 0 for GC, and RE4 for Wii.

Grief.exe

Just so I'm clear

I don't need to do anything else but buy a couple of Wii and Gamecube games I want to play, put the disc in my PC, and Dolphin will play them right off the disc?

In particular I'm looking at

Resident Evil for GC, Resident Evil 0 for GC, and RE4 for Wii.

Unless you have a specific DVD drive, you have to dump them from a modded Wii.

Honestly, I think its a gray area on where you acquire your .iso files if you own the games.

JakeD

Unless you have a specific DVD drive, you have to dump them from a modded Wii.

Honestly, I think its a gray area on where you acquire your .iso files if you own the games.

there's a very specific list of dvd drives that will work, and last i checked (in february when i built my pc) all of them are old and not readily in stock anywhere. you're better off buying someones old wii and softmodding it. it's a pretty easy process and there's a bunch of other cool stuff you can do other than back up your games

I keep hearing that Dolphin 4.0 can get 60 fps with LLE on an i5 at 4.2 Ghz, but for the life of me I can't do it.

I have a 3570k with a GTX670. I still get slowdowns in the overworld of TP with LLE as well. I figure I have to be missing something as I keep seeing posts about the games running at full speed LLE with my processor and speed.

Any ideas?

JakeD

I keep hearing that Dolphin 4.0 can get 60 fps with LLE on an i5 at 4.2 Ghz, but for the life of me I can't do it.

I have a 3570k with a GTX670. I still get slowdowns in the overworld of TP with LLE as well. I figure I have to be missing something as I keep seeing posts about the games running at full speed LLE with my processor and speed.

Any ideas?

i have the same processor, and have to pretty much turn off AA completely while running 3x res to get 60fps.

I'm finding out now that with Wii games it would just be better to buy the Wii sensor than to try and configue for the 360 controller. Is it absolutely impossible to configure Wii games with 360 or PS controllers?

I gave up trying to run Twilight Princess at full speed in Hyrule Field with LLE, and EFB to Ram. i5 2550k @ 4.5 and GTX 770, still drops frames at AF 1x, no AA and 3x native resolution.

i have the same processor, and have to pretty much turn off AA completely while running 3x res to get 60fps.

It's better shutting AA off, though I wonder why that should be with a 670. I'm still getting slowdowns at random in galaxies itself.

I gave up trying to run Twilight Princess at full speed in Hyrule Field with LLE, and EFB to Ram. i5 2550k @ 4.5 and GTX 770, still drops frames at AF 1x, no AA and 3x native resolution.

Jesus, still that bad eh.

How far will you get with a Toshiba Qosmio X70-A-114?
Specs:
Intel Core i7-4700MQ
8GB RAM
GeForce GTX770M 3GB

Or do I have to buy myself a laptop for 3k to run all games in hd with AA? :/

Ysiadmihi

Banned
No. Whatever issues you're having has nothing to do with the GPU.

1. What are your specs?
  2. What Dolphin version are using?
  3. What are your settings?
  4. What game are you playing?

4670k @ 4ghz, 7970, 8GB RAM. Dolphin 4.0. Settings are the same as I used with my 560ti. Happens with all games.

It's almost like the framelimit isn't working, but only for the sound. If I switch back to my 560ti, there's no problems at all.

Garteal

4670k @ 4ghz, 7970, 8GB RAM. Dolphin 4.0. Settings are the same as I used with my 560ti. Happens with all games.

It's almost like the framelimit isn't working, but only for the sound. If I switch back to my 560ti, there's no problems at all.
Have you even installed the AMD drivers? If not, make sure you completely uninstall the NVIDIA drivers you have installed and grab the latest AMD 13.11 Beta 9.5 drivers here.
If you already have AMD drivers installed; what drivers are you on?

Ysiadmihi

Banned
Have you even installed the AMD drivers? If not, make sure you completely uninstall the NVIDIA drivers you have installed and grab the latest AMD 13.11 Beta 9.5 drivers here.
If you already have AMD drivers installed; what drivers are you on?

Using the drivers you linked.

I think I may just keep switching to the 560ti for Dolphin. I don't add too much AA anyway and I'm a bit tired of dealing with problems with AMD drivers already :B

So I've been trying to get my copy of Twin Snakes working properly on Dolphin to no avail. It's slow as ass. I can't tell if it's because of my laptop lacking the raw power, the game itself not being good in emulation, using non-proper settings, or all of the above.

Here are my laptop's specs:

GPU:
nvidia Geforce GT 555M Cuda 2GB

CPU:
Intel Core i5 - 2430M, 2.4 GHz

Memory:
6GB RAM

Win 7 64 bit

Dolphin 4.02

I'm not a PC guy, so excuse the crude way of posting my specs. Any help is appreciated!

GavinUK86

So I've been trying to get my copy of Twin Snakes working properly on Dolphin to no avail. It's slow as ass. I can't tell if it's because of my laptop lacking the raw power, the game itself not being good in emulation, using non-proper settings, or all of the above.

Here are my laptop's specs:

GPU:
nvidia Geforce GT 555M Cuda 2GB

CPU:
Intel Core i5 - 2430M, 2.4 GHz

Memory:
6GB RAM

Win 7 64 bit

Dolphin 4.02

I'm not a PC guy, so excuse the crude way of posting my specs. Any help is appreciated!

To be clear, I haven't used Dolphin in months, possibly years but I played and finished Twin Snakes through it. It pretty much ran from default. Tweaked the resolution etc etc but it ran fine. Could be your system not powerful enough but I wouldn't of thought so after reading your post.

Voho

I previously purchased a bluetooth adapter for use with a Wii Motion Plus wiimote + nunchuck for dolphin, but the darn thing just won't acknowledge the wiimotes existence. Does anyone know of a cheap bluetooth adapter that definitely works with a motion-plus wiimote? The adapter being from Newegg or Walmart is a plus, because I'm actually headed to the latter in a few minutes. I'm using Windows 8.1 and the latest stable version of dolphin (4.0) if that makes any difference. Any help would be much appreciated!

was trying to do some HUD-less screenshots of MadWorld, but i failed to find the specific textures when dumping, and the ones i thought were the HUD, when i edited them on photoshop, even erasing the whole image, they just came out white. Can anybody help me? :p

Argonis

So I got my Xbox 360 controller setup as my Gamecube controller. I want to play RE 4 Wii with my Xbox 360 controller. Is this possible because I can't seem to figure it out.

I know there is a separate setup for Wii-motes but I want to use the Xbox 360 controller. Under the setup process for the emulated Wii-mote it doesn't recognize my 360 controller. I tried to emulate the Xbox 360 controller as a classic controller but I get stuck at the beginning screen where it asks me to plug in the Wii nunchuck. Didn't work.

Figured it out. Have to boot up the game first then turn off Wii mote.

Sanctuary

If anyone is still trying to play Xenoblade, and having any (major) issues let me know. You will probably need a mid/high machine though. Initially I was using the 3.0-72 (HLE "fix" for Xenoblade--ran flawless on my older PC with a GTX 580 and i5-750) version, but had to go with a later version that supported the Toshiba Stack once I finally decided to use a Wii remote on my newer system. Currently using 4.01, which still has DX9 for the custom textures.

The game runs at 30FPS 100% of the time at 4x internal res, and downsampled from 2880 x 1620. The audio is also, I'd say 95% accurate; but certain pitches, especially the flute in Makna Forest and certain pitches in Alcamoth do have a slight crackle. The crackling is more "muted" using HLE, but then so is the rest of the audio all around, so I tend to just use LLE and deal with it. It's definitely not something that's intolerable though and it only shows up occasionally. I've tried using an overclocked setting for my 4670k, but going from 3.8ghz to 4.4ghz had zero effect (I ended up with a really shitty overclocking chip...), so I just left it at default. Dolphin only ever used 50% of the CPU at its highest load too, so I really don't know what overclocking is supposed to help with during emulation or if it's only a levels I can't really reach.

One thing that I found pretty ironic though is that the "Accurate Vbeam" hack sped up the older versions and on my older PC. On my new system however it caused a whole lot of framerate issues during cutscenes or during somewhat massive areas like Alcamoth. The framerate would drop from 30 all the way down to 14 at some points. Shutting Vbeam off completely removed every framerate issue for me and had no negative effect otherwise.

Top Bottom