• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Pretty sure OpenGL is the best, actually.

Generally, at least for me, DX9 is quite a bit faster than OpenGL, but it was removed in the newest builds.

the monoprice sensor bar from amazon is pretty nice. seems about as accurate as the real wii one. i would probably prefer one that just ran off usb power but last i checked that required some cutting and soldering, so battery it is. just have to remember to turn it off

Well, in regards to accuracy, all a sensor bar is is two appropriately spaced out IR LED's, so they should all be equally accurate.

Gvaz

Banned
I should probably specify that it needs to be connected to my computer somehow, as I no longer have my wii but I have my games (roommate stole my wii ages ago, could never catch her about it)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I should probably specify that it needs to be connected to my computer somehow, as I no longer have my wii but I have my games (roommate stole my wii ages ago, could never catch her about it)

Get a wireless sensor bar and you can charge it through mini USB on your PC if it ever dies.

I've got a Duracell wireless sensor bar and it's totally stellar. You set a timer for the power and it'll automatically turn itself off and before it does it'll beep a few times so you know in case you're playing. It charges through mini USB and works for a great distance.

So F-Zero GX only runs with OpenGL, with D3D9 and D3D11 it crashes every race at random. I read the wiki where it says DirectX used to make the game crash, but it still does for me. What should you do?

And also, Timesplitters 2, it gets some of the worst slowdowns ever with glitched graphics.

Someone said it was the rip, so I ripped it again, and the same thing happens. It seems to be only certain situations where it slows down like when looking in certain directions, whereas other maps and situations can run perfectly. Also seems to be some problem with rendering environments as there could be graphical glitches when round corners or looking at something that's far away, like it just disappears.

Grief.exe

So F-Zero GX only runs with OpenGL, with D3D9 and D3D11 it crashes every race at random. I read the wiki where it says DirectX used to make the game crash, but it still does for me. What should you do?

And also, Timesplitters 2, it gets some of the worst slowdowns ever with glitched graphics.

Someone said it was the rip, so I ripped it again, and the same thing happens. It seems to be only certain situations where it slows down like when looking in certain directions, whereas other maps and situations can run perfectly. Also seems to be some problem with rendering environments as there could be graphical glitches when round corners or looking at something that's far away, like it just disappears.

Every computer, iteration of Dolphin, and rip is slightly different.

Try different versions and different settings until you hit that sweet spot. Sometimes you have to search a little deeper for a custom version of Dolphin for that particular game.

Okay, something really weird has happened I think might be because of Nvidia or something.

If I try to run a game using Direct3D11, it completely turns off all enhancements like higher native resolution and higher AA. OpenGL and Direct3D9 are exactly the same as before.

I have a Geforce 660ti and my driver-version is 331.82.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Okay, something really weird has happened I think might be because of Nvidia or something.

If I try to run a game using Direct3D11, it completely turns off all enhancements like higher native resolution and higher AA. OpenGL and Direct3D9 are exactly the same as before.

I have a Geforce 660ti and my driver-version is 331.82.

Make sure Scaled EFB Copy is enabled and External Frame Buffer is not set to Real

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Thank you so much!

However, Bloody Roar: Primal Fury shows the same issues no matter what settings I input.

It's a troubled game I would assume?

You should right click the game and select properties then check to make sure that the Scaled EFB Copy and EFB not being set to real aren't overwritten in the games specific settings.

You should right click the game and select properties then check to make sure that the Scaled EFB Copy and EFB not being set to real aren't overwritten in the games specific settings.

According to the wiki, Bloody Roar needs to have it set to virtual, so I chose that in the ini.file and not in the config. When it didn't change I changed it in the settings and removing the ini-settings, no change.

No matter what settings I choose, Bloody Roar is native with no enhancements.

How is Mario Galaxy running nowadays on Dolphin (audio+performance)?

I was playing it a few months ago and it was running great, until I noticed the issue with the music not playing properly. I tried switching the audio thingy to get the music working, but then the game slowed WAY down and the audio was crackly as well.
I CAN play it smoothly without the music working right, but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the experience.

Have there been any recent improvements, or maybe a specific Dolphin build that gets the Galaxy games working better?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
According to the wiki, Bloody Roar needs to have it set to virtual, so I chose that in the ini.file and not in the config. When it didn't change I changed it in the settings and removing the ini-settings, no change.

No matter what settings I choose, Bloody Roar is native with no enhancements.

Sorry then bud, I don't know how to fix it.

How is Mario Galaxy running nowadays on Dolphin (audio+performance)?

I was playing it a few months ago and it was running great, until I noticed the issue with the music not playing properly. I tried switching the audio thingy to get the music working, but then the game slowed WAY down and the audio was crackly as well.
I CAN play it smoothly without the music working right, but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of the experience.

Have there been any recent improvements, or maybe a specific Dolphin build that gets the Galaxy games working better?

This is how I play it.

I use a build that still has DX9 as a video backend.

I set the Audio to LLE, set the backend to OpenAL and then increase the buffer to around 4 or 8.

This won't prevent the framerate drops that come from the audio, but it WILL prevent the actual audio from crackling or sounding odd because your CPU is processing it those extra 4, 8, or however many MS you set your buffer to.

The side effect of this is that you'll hear the actual audio slightly delayed. If you set it to 4, it'll come 4ms after it's intended to which is really hard to notice but helps a ton in terms of audibly recognizable slowdown.

I use a build that still has DX9 as a video backend.

I set the Audio to LLE, set the backend to OpenAL and then increase the buffer to around 4 or 8.

This won't prevent the framerate drops that come from the audio, but it WILL prevent the actual audio from crackling or sounding odd because your CPU is processing it those extra 4, 8, or however many MS you set your buffer to.

The side effect of this is that you'll hear the actual audio slightly delayed. If you set it to 4, it'll come 4ms after it's intended to which is really hard to notice but helps a ton in terms of audibly recognizable slowdown.
I'll have to give that a try tonight.

It's so annoying that the game (without 100% working music) plays pretty much perfectly on my PC.
Maybe I can just play the level music from Youtube while I play, haha.

I read that Haswell processors works great with emulators, so I bought myself an i5 Haswell 4670K, and it works great.

I'm running F-Zero GX, opengl, highest native resolution with 4xAA with barely any slowdowns and framedrops.

I highly recommend Haswell if you've got problems with Dolphin.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I read that Haswell processors works great with emulators, so I bought myself an i5 Haswell 4670K, and it works great.

I'm running F-Zero GX, opengl, highest native resolution with 4xAA with barely any slowdowns and framedrops.

I highly recommend Haswell if you've got problems with Dolphin.

I don't know if it's specifically Haswell or just because you've got an i5 4670k, but I think it's more likely the latter lol.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Fuck. Guess I need a new mobo/CPU.

It's been needed for a while now anyway. I want to play Galaxy in 3D/1080p without any stutter or framedrops.

Fuck. Guess I need a new mobo/CPU.

It's been needed for a while now anyway. I want to play Galaxy in 3D/1080p without any stutter or framedrops.

Haswell i5 is incredibly cost-efficient, and with a good cooler you can easily get it to 4,0 - 4,4ghz.

I'm running 4,1 ghz on a Cooler Master with a Geforce 660ti, and it runs like butter in F-Zero.

Anilusion

Anybody else having issues with the audio being out of sync? I just installed dolphin and I'm trying to play Super Smash Bros. Melee with a friend but the audio is like 0.3 seconds behind the visuals.

Edit: Running the x86 version reduces the delay a lot but causes the FPS to drop slightly below 60 from time to time :/

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Anyone know if there's a custom texture for the HUD in Twilight Princess so that it isn't stretched when using the Widescreen hack?

Technically it will probably change depending on what aspect ratio you're stretching to. Is it the Gamecube version and does the gamecube version not support 16:9 output?

JakeD

anybody have experience with Metroid Prime Trilogy? how's it run? thinking about getting it in the gamestop deal for 39.99 but probably wont bother if it's not a smooth dolphin experience

For some reason, on both Mario Galaxy games (in particular 2, though), when I move the wiimote cursor around and start collecting starbits, it kinda framerate takes a nosedive. Is there any fix for this in the settings? It seems to only slow down when I start collecting starbits... D:

PGamer

fucking juniors
anybody have experience with Metroid Prime Trilogy? how's it run? thinking about getting it in the gamestop deal for 39.99 but probably wont bother if it's not a smooth dolphin experience

I haven't tried the game myself but on the compatibility list Metroid Prime Trilogy is listed as having some issues.

https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Metroid_Prime_(Metroid_Prime:_Trilogy)
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Metroid_Prime_2:_Echoes_(Metroid_Prime:_Trilogy)
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Metroid_Prime_3:_Corruption_(Metroid_Prime:_Trilogy)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
For some reason, on both Mario Galaxy games (in particular 2, though), when I move the wiimote cursor around and start collecting starbits, it kinda framerate takes a nosedive. Is there any fix for this in the settings? It seems to only slow down when I start collecting starbits... D:

It's because of the sound it makes when collecting star bits. The audio is really demanding in the Galaxy games for some wild reason.

I don't believe there is a fix other than overclocking your CPU or getting a faster one.

If you use the OpenAL backend for your audio then set the buffer to around 4 then you can suffer some framerate dips without the audio getting garbled which is a nice compromise.

It's because of the sound it makes when collecting star bits. The audio is really demanding in the Galaxy games for some wild reason.

I don't believe there is a fix other than overclocking your CPU or getting a faster one.

If you use the OpenAL backend for your audio then set the buffer to around 4 then you can suffer some framerate dips without the audio getting garbled which is a nice compromise.

Ah okay, thanks for the information. Might overclock a little bit more to see if that helps any. Kind of annoying because the rest of the game plays perfectly fine. Just when I collect starbits does it mess up, lol.

If nothing else, I'll try the that OpenAL backend stuff.

Technically it will probably change depending on what aspect ratio you're stretching to. Is it the Gamecube version and does the gamecube version not support 16:9 output?
GCN version, and no, it does not have a widescreen mode. I'm using an AR code and forcing 16:9 in the aspect ratio settings as opposed to the Widescreen Hack setting which has major issues with water in the game. I guess I was hoping that maybe someone created a texture pack for the HUD that's squished by default so it would appear normally when stretching to 16:9? That probably wouldn't even work, I don't really know how that sort of stuff works.

televator

GCN version, and no, it does not have a widescreen mode. I'm using an AR code and forcing 16:9 in the aspect ratio settings as opposed to the Widescreen Hack setting which has major issues with water in the game. I guess I was hoping that maybe someone created a texture pack for the HUD that's squished by default so it would appear normally when stretching to 16:9? That probably wouldn't even work, I don't really know how that sort of stuff works.

I've been using the Swiss hack, and yeah, the water is annoying. I never heard of the AR code before. Do you have any more info on how this works?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

That would definitely work and it's sort of what I figured you were suggesting but you're right that no one has done it yet.

I'll look into it. What do you have your texture cache accuracy set to in Dolphin?

I've been using the Swiss hack, and yeah, the water is annoying. I never heard of the AR code before. Do you have any more info on how this works?

The code is at the bottom of the Dolphin page for Twilight Princess (GC).

Widescreen Hack
Enabling the widescreen hack will cause reflections to be buggy and certain objects to disappear at the edges of the screen.
Better switch off the widescreen hack and use the following AR Code instead. It works for the PAL version. NTSC not tested yet:
Code:
B90N-0GDF-AM009
KJFT-T2HY-49A20
Remember to turn on "Enable cheats" and use the "Force 16:9" Aspect Ratio.

That would definitely work and it's sort of what I figured you were suggesting but you're right that no one has done it yet.

I'll look into it. What do you have your texture cache accuracy set to in Dolphin?
I have it set to position 1 (Safe), otherwise the arrow on the minimap that follows Link doesn't work properly.

For the NTSC version use:
Code:
0445391C 3FE38E39
Credit goes to BlackBeetleKing.

JakeD

Not sure one 1+2 but I finished Metroid Prime Corruption on my PC with zero issues.

i caved and bought it. ripped ok with cleanrip...ill try out dolphin tomorrow. the gamecube version of prime 1 plays ok for me with some obvious graphic glitches and occasional slowdown, i just hate the way it controls with a 360 pad so playing with a wiimote will probably be way better

PGamer

fucking juniors
For those sticking with the stable build it looks like they decided to release 4.0.2.

One month after the 4.0.1 release we're releasing the maintenance release 4.0.2. It turned out that some critical regressions had slipped into the 4.0 release due to the major changes linked to the wii-network branch and the global user directory changes.

In particular, one of the fixed issues was related to incorrect usage of wxWidgets and caused various problems with general Dolphin usage on Windows systems with Unicode characters in their user name (e.g. "François" or "あいうえお").

Some rather technical issues caused multiple games to stop booting or to freeze randomly. We've had multiple issue reports on this bug, so it's great to see that we were able to fix this properly.

As for the binary release packages, we unfortunately can only provide Windows builds at the moment. As usual, OS X and Linux users can compile the source themselves by checking out the source from the 4.0.2 git tag. The Windows installers can be found on our downloads page, https://dolphin-emu.org/download/. We hope to be able to provide binaries for other systems in the future, though.

If you're a Windows user and still were using Dolphin 4.0.0, you should uninstall Dolphin before installing the update due to some changes to the installer which happened in the 4.0.1 release. All future Dolphin versions will be installed into "Program Files/Dolphin", whereas the 4.0.0 release still used "Program Files/Dolphin 4.0". Your settings and game saves will survive a deinstallation, so you don't need to worry about having to back them up. If your currently installed Dolphin version is already 4.0.1, you can safely ignore this notice.

Of course, if you want to test the most recent improvements which are happening in Dolphin, you can also use the development versions. They are distributed as plain .7z archives, so you test them safely without damaging an existing installation of a stable release. Keep in mind that they're less simple to install and might have little flaws every now and then. However, we will do our best to make the Dolphin experience for the next stable release even more awesome than it is currently, of course!

For the NTSC version use:
Code:
0445391C 3FE38E39
Credit goes to BlackBeetleKing.
Thanks, it does work wonderfully. Now I get TP gamecube version in widescreen without any special swiss hack (never got it to work anyway)

clipboard-1mzsfv.jpg

JRW

I'm new to Dolphin and curious if it's normal to see texture seams in Mario 64, or maybe there's a setting I could try to change? (Dolphin 4.0.2 / Geforce GTX 480 gpu)

xtOA1Um.png

televator

... Dolphin emulates N64 games too?? I mean I know all sorts of emus exist for the Wii and I guess they'd run on Dolphin too... Emuception!

Anyway, I do recall texture seams always being visible in N64 games, but low res used to make it quite as obvious.

... Dolphin emulates N64 games too?? I mean I know all sorts of emus exist for the Wii and I guess they'd run on Dolphin too... Emuception!

Anyway, I do recall texture seams always being visible in N64 games, but low res used to make it quite as obvious.
Dolphin can emulate Virtual Console games.

Top Bottom