• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Anth0ny

Quick question, guys.

I tried running Dolphin 4.0 on my laptop, but the wireless 360 Controller for windows doesn't seem to work. I installed the drivers and was able to configure the buttons.. but in-game I cannot control using the controller. Does anyone know a solution to this?

Specs:
32gb ram
Intel i7 4900mx
GTX 780m SLI

u may need to upgrade to run wind waker at a good frame rate

Grief.exe

I'm using DX11.

I tried DX9. The hi-res textures are present, but not the hi-res hud. Although, the text is legible.

Edit: Got it! When changing from DX11 to DX 9, I had to change the Text Cache Accuracy to 'Safe'. That changed the hud to hi-res :)

Its always playing around with the settings until one of the hacks takes and everything works perfectly.

Garteal

It explicitly states to set the Texture Cache to safe in the thread on the Dolphin forums.
If the HD pack was made with the Texture Cache set to safe, then it'll only work if you also set it to safe. Same goes for the cache set to fast.

Direct3D9 is removed in the latest development builds FYI. It's now called Direct3D (using the Direct3D11 back-end).

I finally have a decent computer, is there a guide out there on how to launch individual Dolphin games in Steam big picture mode? I would prefer if it would launch straight into the game, I can configure it outside of steam.

I'm guessing the easiest way to do it would be to make each game have it's own unshared emulator folder?

awesome, thank you.

on another note, I tried to give Dolphin a run on my new 27-inch iMac (Windows 8.1 bootcamp) to see how things run. I was also curious on how the online play worked on NFC while playing with other (actual) Wii consoles. And wow, my brain is blown. I played a smooth, lagless match from my iMac against other players that were probably playing on their Wiis or Wii Us. Damn. Shit is amazing. I even dumped my NAND files from my Wii, so all of my saves have been transferred to my PC.

kokpx98.jpg

QaUxUv7.jpg

awesome, thank you.

on another note, I tried to give Dolphin a run on my new 27-inch iMac to see how things run. I was also curious on how the online play worked on NFC while playing with other (actual) Wii consoles. And wow, my brain is blown. I played a smooth, lagless match from my iMac against other players that were probably playing on their Wiis or Wii Us. Damn. Shit is amazing. I even dumped my NAND files from my Wii, so all of my saves have been transferred to my PC.

Emulating old games ona PC/Mac *is* amazing. It should be some mandatory shit added to Steam the day the old consoles are phased out by their successors (PS1 -->PS2, GameCube --> Wii etc.)

Emulating old games ona PC/Mac *is* amazing. It should be some mandatory shit added to Steam the day the old consoles are phased out by their successors (PS1 -->PS2, GameCube --> Wii etc.)

word. I'm eventually going to rip my entire games library and put everything in my Steam library. shit will be glorious.

but on another note, why does it say I'm from Switzerland when I play online on Mario Kart?
is there anyway to change my region?

edit:

this isn't working for me unfortunately. When I launch the game in steam I get this screen...
what should I do now?
edit 2: i'm a failure, I forgot the "/e"

aravuus

Xenoblade runs perfectly on some custom Dolphin 3.0 I downloaded, except for the audio. After a while, like 5 minutes, the music starts stuttering and sounds like shit. Anyone know of a fix?

solarus

Quick question, guys.

I tried running Dolphin 4.0 on my laptop, but the wireless 360 Controller for windows doesn't seem to work. I installed the drivers and was able to configure the buttons.. but in-game I cannot control using the controller. Does anyone know a solution to this?

Specs:
32gb ram
Intel i7 4900mx
GTX 780m SLI
Sweet jesus, this is a laptop?!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Xenoblade runs perfectly on some custom Dolphin 3.0 I downloaded, except for the audio. After a while, like 5 minutes, the music starts stuttering and sounds like shit. Anyone know of a fix?

Use LLE audio. Big performance hit, but if your 3570 is overclocked it should handle it well enough.

Got an i5-3570k, time to see if Xenoblade runs in full HD glory tomorrow. Should justify a second playthrough!
Easily. Playing Xenoblade for the first time ever and Dolphin makes this motherfucker one of the most impressive experiences in gaming history. Holy shit at those sceneries.

aravuus

Easily. Playing Xenoblade for the first time ever and Dolphin makes this motherfucker one of the most impressive experiences in gaming history. Holy shit at those sceneries.

Yeah, it's a goddamn good looking game in high res

Use LLE audio. Big performance hit, but if your 3570 is overclocked it should handle it well enough.

It isn't, at least not yet. I'll give it a try anyway, thanks.

I'm using DX11.

I tried DX9. The hi-res textures are present, but not the hi-res hud. Although, the text is legible.

Edit: Got it! When changing from DX11 to DX 9, I had to change the Text Cache Accuracy to 'Safe'. That changed the hud to hi-res :)

I highly recommend that you give the blur removal patch a try if you haven't already too. It makes the game looks much cleaner/better.

Quick question, guys.

Specs:
32gb ram
Intel i7 4900mx
GTX 780m SLI

What horrendous waste of money.

dsk1210

That just means you've missed out on the glory of Super Mario Galaxy in 3D.

How recently have you done it? Apparently Nvidia removed Dolphin from their list of "3D enabled" programs so it doesn't work anymore. Changing the name of Dolphin to a program that is 3D enabled though like Google Earth allows you to force it but I've gotten some weird mixed results.

It's bloody stunning in 3d :)

I am sure helix posted up a dx11 3d dolphin on the nvidia forums, I remember using it before, not used dolphin in 3d in a while though, have to get back onto that.

televator

Quick question, guys.

Specs:
32gb ram
Intel i7 4900mx
GTX 780m SLI

I this your laptop?

wheapon

lol nice.

By the way, does anyone know if it's possible to extract the NAND from the Wii emulator on the Wii U or am I out of luck? I can't seem to find much concrete info on whether bootmii installs correctly on Wii U or not.

Just having trouble moving over my Wii saves. :(

Sorry, I don't think you can install bootmii on wiiu.

Question : I'm contemplating buying a laptop for school, (haswell) i5 4200M, GT755 8g of ram.
Will I be able to play some wii stuff full speed? (Or is even GC/ps2 stuff going to be tough?)
Quad core (i7 4700) update is like 120€ more, not sure I can justify/afford it.. (And looks like i7 drains a lot more power than that i5, I'd still need to sit through a 4hour class with msoffice, no cord adapter (and no WiFi/BT, screen brightness low etc)

I get specs questions are annoying, so, sorry about that :)

aravuus

It isn't, at least not yet. I'll give it a try anyway, thanks.

I definitely notice a hit in performance. Not a massive one, mind, it still runs at full speed all the time outside the battles and only stutters a bit when a battle starts, but it's noticeable. Can't bother tinkering around with it now though since I just realized I can also emulate pretty much every PS2 game there is right now. FF X HD came early lol!

So has anyone been able to get the Steam overlay to work with Dolphin 4 at all?

edit: random thought, but i really wish there was an original Xbox emulator that was as good as Dolphin. =(

edit 2: will this is interesting. "Ice" on Steam. Automatically adds your classic games for you. But Wii isn't supported yet (but GameCube is... huh?)
http://scottrice.github.io/Ice/

~Kinggi~

Banned
So, is there a great global configuration file somewhere that works with a 360 controller for the WII settings? Ive seen a lot of profiles get uploaded but they are game specific. Is there a one size fits all that replicates all the IR controls and such exclusively on a gamepad?

Mistle

Is setting up Skyward Sword relatively simple? I'll do some research myself of course but you guys already seem super knowledgable.

Also, once I set Dolphin up, I'm curious if my computer will be good enough to run it. It's mid-range now days I believe, but still seems to play most PC games very well.

Intel i5 3570K @ 3.4
HD 5770 graphics
8GB DDR3

EDIT: Oh, and I'll probably be outputting 720p to my TV.

jediyoshi

So, is there a great global configuration file somewhere that works with a 360 controller for the WII settings? Ive seen a lot of profiles get uploaded but they are game specific. Is there a one size fits all that replicates all the IR controls and such exclusively on a gamepad?

In short, nope. If you take into account the 3 axes of movement, rotation, pointer, and shaking, on top of the actual sticks and buttons, there aren't enough inputs to replicate everything.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I tried it, it didn't work for me. I don't believe it will work with emulators.

It only works with full screen applications, so if you can get dolphin in exclusive full screen as opposed to the borderless fullscreen it currently does it should work.

Platy

Anyone have Wario Ware Smooth Moves on Dolphin ?

I have a REALLY simple screenshot request ....

7LBkwDZ.png

This from Ashley's intro in the biggest quality possible

I would be eternaly thankfull to you =x

Chorelz

Neo Member
i tried playing final fantasy crystal chronicles with my brother using dolphin but the fps is way to low, has this been fixed or somthing?

Sanctuary

So has anyone found a bluetooth adapter that allows you to use Wii Motion Plus and the Toshiba Stack with Windows 8?
I ended up wasting money on the Kinivo BTD-300 due to it being the only one listed as being a compatible bluetooth adapter for Windows 8. The problem is that it only seems to work with the regular Wii remote (which I do not own) and it does not work with the Toshiba Stack, which apparently is a requirement for the Wii Motion Plus to work with Dolphin.

Decado

Is there significant value for OCing my CPU and GPU? For dolphin, but I guess in general, too:

MOBO: Gigabyte Z77N-WIFI
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 670 OC 980MHZ 2GB
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @3.4

Seems like quite a process to do so.

Thanks

Ysiadmihi

Banned
So has anyone found a bluetooth adapter that allows you to use Wii Motion Plus and the Toshiba Stack with Windows 8?
I ended up wasting money on the Kinivo BTD-300 due to it being the only one listed as being a compatible bluetooth adapter for Windows 8. The problem is that it only seems to work with the regular Wii remote (which I do not own) and it does not work with the Toshiba Stack, which apparently is a requirement for the Wii Motion Plus to work with Dolphin.

I can't guarantee this will work, but it did for me with an adapter so old that I can't even figure out the model of it:

1. Get the hardware ID of your adapter in the device manager.

2. Go to Program Files (x86)\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\Drivers\tosrfusb and open tosrfusb.inf.

3. Scroll down until you see the devices listed like this under [Standard]: "%TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc1%=TosrfUsb_Device, USB\VID_08EA&PID_abba".

4. Replace one of the device IDs with your adapters ID, then scroll down to the [Standard.NTamd64] section and do it for the same device # there.

5. If you want, you can set the device #s name even further down.

Again, I can't guarantee this will work for you, but my Skyward Sword Wii Motion Plus works flawlessly this way.

Sanctuary

I can't guarantee this will work, but it did for me with an adapter so old that I can't even figure out the model of it:

1. Get the hardware ID of your adapter in the device manager.

2. Go to Program Files (x86)\Toshiba\Bluetooth Toshiba Stack\Drivers\tosrfusb and open tosrfusb.inf.

3. Scroll down until you see the devices listed like this under [Standard]: "%TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc1%=TosrfUsb_Device, USB\VID_08EA&PID_abba".

4. Replace one of the device IDs with your adapters ID, then scroll down to the [Standard.NTamd64] section and do it for the same device # there.

5. If you want, you can set the device #s name even further down.

Again, I can't guarantee this will work for you, but my Skyward Sword Wii Motion Plus works flawlessly this way.

Thanks, but this is the same guide listed on the Wiki, and it doesn't work for this particular adapter. I sent a PM to JakeD, since he is using this adapter and seems to be using Wii Motion Plus without any issues.

JakeD

sorry i replied to you before i saw this..like i said, i am using win7, and the btd3000 works with motionplus, and i haven't installed the toshiba stack. what version of dolphin are you using?

Sanctuary

Was using the last version of Dolphin that allowed DX9 so that I could use custom textures. Tried using the latest version and the same thing happens. When the game starts, it says Wii remote 1 disconnected. When I try refreshing the list for the controller in the emulator options, it just makes Dolphin become unresponsive (crash).

I'm having a bit of trouble with Skyward Sword's graphics in Dolphin 4.0.

It's running great, but the DOF effect doesn't seem to be working right. Stuff in the distance doesn't seem "blurred." At least not nearly as strong as I remember it.

Any setting I should be using? I tried AA on and off, but that didn't do it.

Pro

I'm having a bit of trouble with Skyward Sword's graphics in Dolphin 4.0.

It's running great, but the DOF effect doesn't seem to be working right. Stuff in the distance doesn't seem "blurred." At least not nearly as strong as I remember it.

Any setting I should be using? I tried AA on and off, but that didn't do it.

Are you talking about the distant objects looking pixelated? Like the trees and what not? I don't think there was any fix for that where the game would still play correctly.

I just tried out Dolphin for the first time last night, and I was wondering, is there any way to save your settings on a per game basis?

Also, the Ganados in Resident Evil 4 don't have their glowing red eyes, is there a specific setting or fix for that?

Garteal

I just tried out Dolphin for the first time last night, and I was wondering, is there any way to save your settings on a per game basis?
Dolphin already supports it and uses game specific settings for some games. Right-click the game in Dolphin, go to Properties and hit Edit Config. There you can enter your own settings to override the defaults with.
For a list of options of what you can set in the file, check out the how to thread on the Dolphin forums.

Dolphin already supports it and uses game specific settings for some games. Right-click the game in Dolphin, go to Properties and hit Edit Config. There you can enter your own settings to override the defaults with.
For a list of options of what you can set in the file, check out the how to thread on the Dolphin forums.
Thanks. Man, that seems like a lot of work for someone as lazy as me. Isn't there a way to just save your current configuration settings to a game's ini without having to type/copy+paste all those lines?

Garteal

Thanks. Man, that seems like a lot of work for someone as lazy as me. Isn't there a way to just save your current configuration settings to a game's ini without having to type/copy+paste all those lines?
Unfortunately there's no GUI for it available, but you don't have to manually override the configuration files since they're the most compatible settings for most games.
For example: People with slower rigs that want to play The Wind Waker might want to override the default ini to force the game to use HLE instead of LLE to gain some performance at the cost of getting hanging black screens.

What exactly are you looking to override in the inis? The graphical back-end? It's only one line to add to the ini.

Top Bottom