• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

zbarron

If you are upgrading simply for Dolphin, you would be better off getting a newer i5 instead of an i7. In most cases the only real difference between the two is that i7s have HyperThreading tech and are a bit more expensive.

Unless something has changed (and someone please correct me if it has), Dolphin still doesn't take advantage of HT and it has been known to be detrimental to running some games. You can always turn it off in your bios, but why buy an i7 if you're just going to disable it's "big" feature?

Well I also play PC games and with the Next Gen consoles having 8 CPU cores it seems like the 8 threads may be useful later. I don't want a downgrade in any aspect to save $80. Otherwise I'd completely agree.

KiteGr

Hi!
I'm new to dolphin.
I rented and tried to play Twilight Princes (GC) buy I encountered some problems in the sound.

When I'm using HLE the cut-scenes have no music.
When I'm using LLE recompiler, then the large open areas suffer greatly from slowdowns.

How can I play the game properly?
(Please mention if possible the location of each change in settings cause I'm new to this.)

PGamer

fucking juniors
What exactly does this mean?

"best platform for high-gen console emulation."

Simply high quality?

I interpreted that as referring to the emulation of fairly modern, advanced consoles (i.e. 6th generation and up) that still require substantial processing power for proper emulation.

A video on the ten years of Dolphin has been posted on the website.
Check out the article and the video here.

Interesting video. It's cool to see all the changes that have been made over the years.

belmonkey

I interpreted that as referring to the emulation of fairly modern, advanced consoles (i.e. 6th generation and up) that still require substantial processing power for proper emulation.

I always figured that there were other factors there instead of just needing more power. If anything, I was wondering if they meant to see what could be done with the 3 new consoles in the future.

ss_lemonade

Anyone tried Dolphin Android? I wonder how it runs on the Shield and higher end Android phones.
Haven't tried it yet but I doubt you would even get good performance out of that. If you have the necessary desktop hardware though, you could always stream. Here's a quick vid I took streaming Mario Galaxy:

http://youtu.be/tZJV8HxLgY8

It's also my first time trying 4.0 so those slight hitches might require me to go digging in on the settings to fix. Also my router doesn't meet the required criteria for streaming so I guess that explains the slight pause at the center of the video.

Are there some really good "optimal" settings for the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess in Dolphin?. This isn't something I usually play with I must admit... but when I found a save converter tool that let me convert my 23 hr Wii save gave to the GameCube version so I could play with the controller, I simply could not resist ;)

jediyoshi

Grief reminding me of the demise of my website so I reupped my old GameCube RE4 shots. No texture mods and these are dated back December 2011

Any reason why Brawl would be running slower in 4.0 compared to 3.5? I'm definitely getting lag.

Frankly, 3.5 does everything almost perfectly, except some sound issues for specific games.
Thing is, 4.0, which supposedly has revamped sound, has the same sound issues for the same games... so... hm.

PGamer

fucking juniors
Is it worth upgrading from 3.5-367?

If so, isn't there a guide floating around that covers which options to select when doing a fresh install?

Yes it is worth upgrading. 367 is a development build hosted on an unofficial website that is now close to a year old. You should get either 4.0 or the latest development build (4.0-193 right now but this changes frequently) from here: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

As for guides there's some here: https://dolphin-emu.org/docs/guides/

So I am using a PS2 DualShock controller for my PC and it works fine on all controller-required games so far. I did some research and it seems that the GC controller's L & R both have secondary functions depending on how hard they're pressed. How does this translate to PS2 controls? Do the L2 & R2 essentially do the same thing? What about sensitivity?

jourdy

Quick question, guys.

I tried running Dolphin 4.0 on my laptop, but the wireless 360 Controller for windows doesn't seem to work. I installed the drivers and was able to configure the buttons.. but in-game I cannot control using the controller. Does anyone know a solution to this?

Specs:
32gb ram
Intel i7 4900mx
GTX 780m SLI

TUSR

Banned
Quick question, guys.

I tried running Dolphin 4.0 on my laptop, but the wireless 360 Controller for windows doesn't seem to work. I installed the drivers and was able to configure the buttons.. but in-game I cannot control using the controller. Does anyone know a solution to this?

Specs:
32gb ram
Intel i7 4900mx
GTX 780m SLI

jesus christ thats a laptop?

Make sure you have the controller on and working prior to opening Dolphin. And make sure you have it selected in the gamepad options.

Quick question, guys.

Specs:
32gb ram
Intel i7 4900mx
GTX 780m SLI

Check out the last post on this page:

https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Thread-starter-profile-for-wii-and-gc-for-xbox-360-controller

It's a controller profile someone made. It worked well enough for me.

Quirah

Hello guys. I actually want to play Skward Sword on my laptop but im kinda beware of this emulator. I installed Dolphin like 1 or 1.5 years ago on my PC and I burned my HDD after trying to open Skyward Sword with emulator.

Now I have laptop with those specs;

i7 3630QM 2.40 GHz
8 GB RAM
GT 650M SLI

But as I said, I'm afraid of installing Dolphin now. Should I try? I want to play Skyward Sword since it got released.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hello guys. I actually want to play Skward Sword on my laptop but im kinda beware of this emulator. I installed Dolphin like 1 or 1.5 years ago on my PC and I burned my HDD after trying to open Skyward Sword with emulator.

i7 3630QM 2.40 GHz
8 GB RAM
GT 650M SLI

But as I said, I'm afraid of installing Dolphin now. Should I try? I want to play Skyward Sword since it got released.

If your HDD died it wasn't Dolphins fault, I can tell you that much.

Grief.exe

i7 3630QM 2.40 GHz
8 GB RAM
GT 650M SLI

Your Hard Drive was already dying, not relate to Dolphin.

Quick question, guys.

Specs:
32gb ram
Intel i7 4900mx
GTX 780m SLI

That disposable income.

D-e-f-

Banned
Seeing Chibi Robo on Dolphin.. it is so baffling that Nintendo doesn't produce a Wii-U sequel. It would be incredible.

What's so baffling about it? Chibi Robo didn't sell well, DS-sequels didn't sell well and got localized to fewer and fewer regions. And here we are. It's pretty cut 'n' dry.

Wow those graphics have aged surprisingly well. I know it's higher res and all, but the texture work and lighting is still fantastic.

This game was the reason I was totally fine with the Wii/Revolution not going the crazy HD specs route back in the day. I thought "well, if they could pull this off on the GameCube and then now have just a little more but more nonetheless then games on the Revolution are going to look incredible!" ... little did I know at that time that publishers didn't care to spend money on the eventual Wii games outside of a very very select few.

Grief.exe

The D3D9 backend was annoying to keep around. Direct3D9 traces its roots all the way back to Direct3D5, the version of DirectX released in 1997. It's loaded with layer after layer of legacy code, making it a pain in the ass to work with. It's old fashioned, complicated, and ugly. Because of this, developers simply didn't want to work on it.

Very interesting read, thanks for the link. I thought this section was particularly telling.

That was an interesting read, thanks for posting.

I'll still lament the fact that the death of D3D9 also means the death of 3D in Dolphin.

I'm ok with this.

Melpontro

That was an interesting read, thanks for posting.

I'll still lament the fact that the death of D3D9 also means the death of 3D in Dolphin.

You can use 3d in DX11 by enabling Windowed Mode 3D in the Nvidia control panel. This an option with 3DTV play though.
However. If I remember correctly, you can go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D in the registry and set EnableWindowedMode to 5 to make it work. I do remember having to run Dolphin once in DX9 with their 3D option before it would work in DX11

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Very interesting read, thanks for the link. I thought this section was particularly telling.

I'm ok with this.

That just means you've missed out on the glory of Super Mario Galaxy in 3D.

You can use 3d in DX11 by enabling Windowed Mode 3D in the Nvidia control panel. This an option with 3DTV play though.
However. If I remember correctly, you can go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D in the registry and set EnableWindowedMode to 5 to make it work. I do remember having to run Dolphin once in DX9 with their 3D option before it would work in DX11

How recently have you done it? Apparently Nvidia removed Dolphin from their list of "3D enabled" programs so it doesn't work anymore. Changing the name of Dolphin to a program that is 3D enabled though like Google Earth allows you to force it but I've gotten some weird mixed results.

Grief.exe

i7 3630QM 2.40 GHz
8 GB RAM
GT 650M SLI

How the hell does this cost $5000?

I miss your point here.

Not only are those specs significantly lower than the post I had quoted, but you are also choosing to focus on the exaggeration rather than the point of the statement.

Either way, we should just drop it. Arguing semantics is pointless at this point and drawing more attention onto the issue doesn't help anyone.

That just means you've missed out on the glory of Super Mario Galaxy in 3D.

I'll come over sometime and check it out lol

JP

Never really bothered with emulation but half thinking about giving it a go, can anybody tell me whether it's worth trying with this set-up or is it not going to be powerful enough?

• iMac 21.5-inch, Mid 2011
  • Processor 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7
  • Memory 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
  • Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB
  • Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)
Thanks.

Melpontro

How recently have you done it? Apparently Nvidia removed Dolphin from their list of "3D enabled" programs so it doesn't work anymore. Changing the name of Dolphin to a program that is 3D enabled though like Google Earth allows you to force it but I've gotten some weird mixed results.

I tried it just now on DX11 and it seems to work fine for me. I only tested on 3D Vision Discover for now, I'll grab my HMD and test with 3DTV play again later.
I might be remembering wrong, but like I said before, I think I had to run it in DX9 and save my convergence setting with Ctrl + F7 before it would work in DX11.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I tried it just now on DX11 and it seems to work fine for me. I only tested on 3D Vision Discover for now, I'll grab my HMD and test with 3DTV play again later.
I might be remembering wrong, but like I said before, I think I had to run it in DX9 and save my convergence setting with Ctrl + F7 before it would work in DX11.

I've got an actual 3D vision monitor, but I'll try out what you said and hope for the best. Thanks for helping me out, it's appreciated.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

I gave it a shot an unfortunately it was a no go =/

Thanks for the help though man.

r3n4ud

Hi folks. I'm trying to get Super Mario Sunshine up and running with the hi-res texture and hud pack. Having some issues though. Anyone have any idea why the text is unreadable?

I'm running Dolphin 4.0 on i7 4.5ghz oc'ed, 680 gtx, and 16 gb ram. The issue occurs if I have IR, AA, and AF on or off. If I uncheck 'Load Custom Textures' the text is readable, although in low-res. Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

1fKI8s9.jpg

PGamer

fucking juniors
Dolphin 4.0.1 is now out.

Download: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

After a somewhat large delay we're releasing a 4.0.1 release with single core crashes fixed and some other bugfixes.

Changes:

Fixed single core mode crashes in 64 bit Windows builds
Fixed missing music in Super Monkey Ball 2
Added missing DirectX runtime installer files
Fixed some graphics issues for Metroid: Other M, Skies of Arcadia and Call of Duty: Black Ops
Fixed various other minor issues

At the time of writing we only have compiled Windows builds. OS X and Linux users will have to compile the source themselves (stable branch, 4.0.1 tag) or stay with their current build. The Windows installers can be grabbed from our downloads page: https://dolphin-emu.org/download/

Note that Windows users should uninstall Dolphin 4.0 before installing the update due to some changes to the installer. All future Dolphin versions will be installed into "Program Files/Dolphin" now, whereas the 4.0 release still used "Program Files/Dolphin 4.0".

r3n4ud

Dx9, DX11, or OGL?
EFB Copy to RAM?

I'm using DX11.

I tried DX9. The hi-res textures are present, but not the hi-res hud. Although, the text is legible.

Edit: Got it! When changing from DX11 to DX 9, I had to change the Text Cache Accuracy to 'Safe'. That changed the hud to hi-res :)

Anyone feel like snapping Lego Star Wars: The Video Game on GC? I want to see how dated it looks in HD compared to Lego City Undercover. :p

Snap it in 720p please. :)

Top Bottom