• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

shockdude

What are some good games to play in 3D? I have the Nvidia 3DVision 2 glasses kit coming in a couple days. I plan to try Luigi's Mansion and DKCR, but if anyone has suggestions or recommendations I'll try them if I own the game.
F-Zero GX, hands down. The sense of speed is already great in 2D, in 3D it's almost mind-blowing.
Burnout 2 is also good.

Nerrel

Playing Metroid Prime (trilogy version) and holy shit I can never go back to motion controls after playing mouse and keyboard!

Don't the controls feel sluggish and odd, though? The game didn't offer any control over turning speed or cursor sensitivity, so it's not like you'll get a faster response out of a mouse. From what most people have said using the Steam controller, it's not really a game you can play comfortably with anything other than a Wii remote due to the way it's set up.

hlhbk

Don't the controls feel sluggish and odd, though? The game didn't offer any control over turning speed or cursor sensitivity, so it's not like you'll get a faster response out of a mouse. From what most people have said using the Steam controller, it's not really a game you can play comfortably with anything other than a Wii remote due to the way it's set up.

I can tell you this is 100% incorrect. You get far more precision out of a mouse than you ever will the wiimote. Using the controls I posted it feels amazing. I tried going back to the Wiimote after playing this way and I could never EVER play it like that again.

jediyoshi

Ishikura just added rim lighting and holy shiiiiiiiiit it's cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBZveKds6wM

It's kind of amazing to see this game running with ambient occlusion and a lot of other effects seen in the Wii U version, but with the cel shading still intact.

How are they preventing objects outside 4:3 from pop in?

edit: found it on the dolphin wiki
https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=The_Legend_of_Zelda:_The_Wind_Waker

I can tell you this is 100% incorrect. You get far more precision out of a mouse than you ever will the wiimote. Using the controls I posted it feels amazing. I tried going back to the Wiimote after playing this way and I could never EVER play it like that again.

They're not talking about precision, they're talking about speed/finesse/fatigue. Try playing something like Trauma Center with a mouse pointer and you'll understand what they mean.

hlhbk

They're not talking about precision, they're talking about speed/finesse/fatigue. Try playing something like Trauma Center with a mouse pointer and you'll understand what they mean.

My point here is that once you play with the mouse you can never go back to moving your arm around for hours. It just feels better and the aiming can't be beat.

jediyoshi

My point here is that once you play with the mouse you can never go back to moving your arm around for hours. It just feels better and the aiming can't be beat.

Aiming is besides the point. The Wiimote, strictly for a pointer, takes less physical effort than a mouse to move any distance on the screen, especially larger exaggerated motions. Moving the Wiimote at the very least only ever takes your wrist, the pointer speed on a mouse is always contingent on sensitivity. Assuming your mouse sensitivity is such that you could reach the top and bottom of your screen with just your fingers (with your wrist on a surface), there's no way you could keep momentum over an extended amount of time with someone doing the same action angling a Wiimote up and down.

hlhbk

Aiming is besides the point. The Wiimote, strictly for a pointer, takes less physical effort than a mouse to move any distance on the screen, especially larger exaggerated motions. Moving the Wiimote at the very least only ever takes your wrist, the pointer speed on a mouse is always contingent on sensitivity. Assuming your mouse sensitivity is such that you could reach the top and bottom of your screen with just your fingers (with your wrist on a surface), there's no way you could keep momentum over an extended amount of time with someone doing the same action angling a Wiimote up and down.

It takes far less effort to move the pointer using the mouse in my setup at least than it does the wiimote.

the mouse controls for metroid prime trilogy are good for replacing the IR pointer

the problem is just that the crosshairs don't stay in the center of the screen so it's not the easiest to aim precisely at areas that aren't on screen. the same issue exists with a real wii remote though.

rjc571

Banned

If you have to move your arm at all to aim the pointer, you're not using the Wiimote correctly.

the mouse controls for metroid prime trilogy are good for replacing the IR pointer

the problem is just that the crosshairs don't stay in the center of the screen so it's not the easiest to aim precisely at areas that aren't on screen. the same issue exists with a real wii remote though.

Yeah this. It works, but it feels awkward using a mouse because the controls don't function the same way that they do in PC-based FPS games.

hlhbk

If you have to move your arm at all to aim the pointer, you're not using the Wiimote correctly.

Yeah this. It works, but it feels awkward using a mouse because the controls don't function the same way that they do in PC-based FPS games.

It doesn't feel awkward at all.

You can just put the IR pointer on the right analog stick for Wii games, it works pretty well.

I played quite a bit of Super Mario Galaxy like that, worked really well surprisingly.
pretty sure i already asked this but is there a control scheme for this game ( disastaer day of crisis) that works with a gamepad ie DS3 or DS4 ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUnwmYR_q_k
Try putting some of the waggle controls on R2/L2.

Nerrel

Do you need a mod for this or does it work with the original disc?

No mod. It's simply an enhancement offered by the emulator. It looks particularly good in WW... I think CEMU is making progress with texture dumping, so maybe it'll be possible to import the WWHD textures pretty easily. Even though those were generally just upscales...

What I mean is that the game was set up for IR aiming with a very small dead zone and sluggish turning. MP3 was the cutting edge of IR control when it came out, but within a few years games like Conduit and the COD titles made it obsolete with fuller speed options.

Without customization, it's harder to get an alternate controller to work well. Usually when you use a mouse the cursor isn't sluggish and the turning doesn't work the way it does in the MPT. That's why I assumed it would feel odd to play. I'm sure that a mouse gives you finer control and more stable aiming, but the control scheme itself isn't going to accommodate that very well since it's designed entirely around IR movement. Maybe it works very well, I just don't imagine it being ideal.

hlhbk

No mod. It's simply an enhancement offered by the emulator. It looks particularly good in WW... I think CEMU is making progress with texture dumping, so maybe it'll be possible to import the WWHD textures pretty easily. Even though those were generally just upscales...

What I mean is that the game was set up for IR aiming with a very small dead zone and sluggish turning. MP3 was the cutting edge of IR control when it came out, but within a few years games like Conduit and the COD titles made it obsolete with fuller speed options.

Without customization, it's harder to get an alternate controller to work well. Usually when you use a mouse the cursor isn't sluggish and the turning doesn't work the way it does in the MPT. That's why I assumed it would feel odd to play. I'm sure that a mouse gives you finer control and more stable aiming, but the control scheme itself isn't going to accommodate that very well since it's designed entirely around IR movement. Maybe it works very well, I just don't imagine it being ideal.

Try it. Within a few minutes you will never go back to the wiimote.

rjc571

Banned
Then you didn't have it configured right.

Or maybe I just have different controller preferences than you. Maybe you should stop pushing so hard for other people to accept your own preferences. Especially when some of your statements ("my arm hurts from moving the Wiimote around for hours!") make it sound like you have little to no experience using the Wiimote.

Saw this thread, had a thought I'm sure many have had:

Metroid Prime Trilogy in 90fps VR... when?

the hud is 2D
it's playable, but the 2d elements will be out of place for one of the eyes

there are some ways to remove the more obnoxious parts of the hud though (for example, i play without a crosshair if i use stereo 3D)

if you just want extended fov, i think there's a mod for that and you might be able to use that without making it 3d

the hud is 2D

there are some ways to remove the more obnoxious parts of the hud though (for example, i play without a crosshair if i use stereo 3D)

if you just want extended fov, i think there's a mod for that and you might be able to use that without making it 3d
Hmm. I don't have a VR system yet (I'm thinking it'll be a Vive), but my impression is that HUDs in general are pretty important for alleviating motion sickness. So I'm not sure if I'd want to ditch it entirely... 2D seems like it probably won't work either, though.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
the hud is 2D

Assuming someone was so inclined, they could probably use something like 3Dmigoto to make a 3D fix for it and make those UI elements display in 3D.

For the mother of all that is saint... In the Year 2016 my friends, people still don't understand how a Wii Remote works. Look guys, you won. We had to put with aim with a thumbstick for 10 more years after the Wii. So there's no need to go around inventing stuff that suposedly sucks with this input interface.

My sincere apologies to everyone in this thread. It's just that it gets me every time XD

Kind of sad really since i think this wonderful emulator removes the biggest obstacle for enjoying Wii games, which were the SD graphics at a time where people were migrating to higher resolutions.

TSM

For the mother of all that is saint... In the Year 2016 my friends, people still don't understand how a Wii Remote works. Look guys, you won. We had to put with aim with a thumbstick for 10 more years after the Wii. So there's no need to go around inventing stuff that suposedly sucks with this input interface.

To be fair sitting at a computer desk trying to use a Wii remote can be a completely different proposition from doing so on your couch. Having to keep your arms held in a way that maximizes the effectiveness of your sensor bar positioning can be tedious. Playing in a normal sitting position at a computer desk would generally mean that a mouse is hands down the best option for pointer controls in a Wii game. I'm not sure why your are taking issue with what he said.

To be fair sitting at a computer desk trying to use a Wii remote can be a completely different proposition from doing so on your couch. Having to keep your arms held in a way that maximizes the effectiveness of your sensor bar positioning can be tedious. Playing in a normal sitting position at a computer desk would generally mean that a mouse is hands down the best option for pointer controls in a Wii game. I'm not sure why your are taking issue with what he said.
It's great that you brought this up.

The above is the exact same setup im using to play Wii Remote games and let me asure you there's non of the "tiring arm movements" the person i was replying to talks about. Small movements of the hand and/or wrist is all it takes to control the reticule on screen. Unless you wanto go all out with inmersion and do some sort of action role play with the Remote. XD

There's even a rather insteresting argument to be had if having one hand extended over the desk controlling the mouse and another one in a keyboard while sitting close to it could be less comfortable than just sitting in the chair with your hands resting in your legs naturally.

But that's material for another thread.

TSM

It's great that you brought this up.

The above is the exact same setup im using to play Wii Remote games and let me asure you there's non of the "tiring arm movements" the person i was replying to talks about. Small movements of the hand and/or wrist is all it takes to control the reticule on screen. Unless you wanto go all out with inmersion and do some sort of action role play with the Remote. XD

There's even a rather insteresting argument to be had if having one hand extended over the desk controlling the mouse and another one in a keyboard while sitting close to it could be less comfortable than just sitting in the chair with your hands resting in your legs naturally.

But that's material for another thread.

That's cool, but I find it annoying enough that I tend to play Wii centric games on my HDTV rather than try to sit at my computer desk. The input method just wasn't intended to be used in a situation where you are sitting 30 inches or less away from your display.

Datschge

Using Wiimote pointing is very similar to using a laser pointer, the hand movement actually necessary to make the target travel big distances is really miniscule unless one's wrist is too stiff.

Nerrel

My sincere apologies to everyone in this thread. It's just that it gets me every time XD

Kind of sad really since i think this wonderful emulator removes the biggest obstacle for enjoying Wii games, which were the SD graphics at a time where people were migrating to higher resolutions.

I just have to voice my full agreement with this. I loved the Wii remote's IR aiming and there's honestly not much to fill the void left by it; gyro aiming is a second-rate replacement.

It takes some doing to find a comfortable setup that works, but once you do, that's it. It doesn't matter if you're at a couch or computer desk, once you know the right distance to sit you can play comfortably with little to no movement. You have to rest the remote in your lap and arrange the sensor bar above or below so that your natural resting position is close to the center of the screen. It's your wrist doing the work, not your arm.

If you want to talk about tiring your arms, gyro aiming does require you to move them, and in the case of a game like Starfox, you'll have to keep it up in the air to accommodate so much movement. Holding a 2 handed controller in suspension is much less comfortable than pointing a remote from your lap.

Ishikura just added rim lighting and holy shiiiiiiiiit it's cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBZveKds6wM

It's kind of amazing to see this game running with ambient occlusion and a lot of other effects seen in the Wii U version, but with the cel shading still intact.

I actually thought I was looking at Wind Waker HD footage for several seconds there. Wow does that look good!

I really wish these effects were in main Dolphin...

hlhbk

You can say what you want but after playing through a large portion of Metroid Prime on Wii U using the Wii controls my hand would always cramp from holding the wiimote, and my wrist would be bothering me as well. None of that happens using a mouse.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?

LOL at this part:

4.0-9154 - Instruction Slice Timing Issue Fixes by phire

Metroid fans in particular should be absolutely thrilled, as not only does it fix various FMV timings in Metroid Prime 1, 2, and Trilogy, but it also breaks Metroid: Other M due to a bug that was uncovered by the change. For now, using LLE audio or modifying the emulated CPU Clock Rate for Metroid: Other M will allow it to boot. Once in-game, the clock rate can be returned to normal. Other games with minor timing issues should be more accurate as well; especially ones that simply weren't explainable before.

I actually thought I was looking at Wind Waker HD footage for several seconds there. Wow does that look good!

I really wish these effects were in main Dolphin...

Why? The emu authors have made it clear what they want and don't want in the emulator, but that it's open source and people are free to modify the code (as that version is). It's a best of both worlds where the official version remains mostly uncluttered and more aimed at accuracy, and modified versions with specific goals are easy to make and find for anyone else.

TSM

Why? The emu authors have made it clear what they want and don't want in the emulator, but that it's open source and people are free to modify the code (as that version is). It's a best of both worlds where the official version remains mostly uncluttered and more aimed at accuracy, and modified versions with specific goals are easy to make and find for anyone else.

Actually, the team is good with effects like these making their way into the main branch. They have a pr for changes to post processing that won't be making it's way until after 5.0 releases. The reason these changes hit Ishiiruka first is that Tino is far less stringent with his requirements.

Turrican3

I'm trying to use a real wiimote with Dolphin (latest stable build).

Wiimote pairs with Win7-64 and apparently works perfectly... except, 99.9% of the time pointer doesn't work.

In the best case scenario it runs for a couple of seconds, then fades away, as if the camera wasn't able to see the IR leds anymore.
Wiimote is ok and keeps working even after the pointer disappears - that is, in that 0.1% where it shows - and the sensor bar is perfectly working as well (it is powered by and connected to a WiiU, that I only power up AFTER the wiimote is paired with the PC).

Maybe a USB Bluetooth dongle issue?
Any suggestion will be welcomed, 'cause I don't really know what to try anymore.

PGamer

fucking juniors
I'm trying to use a real wiimote with Dolphin (latest stable build).

Wiimote pairs with Win7-64 and apparently works perfectly... except, 99.9% of the time pointer doesn't work.

In the best case scenario it runs for a couple of seconds, then fades away, as if the camera wasn't able to see the IR leds anymore.
Wiimote is ok and keeps working even after the pointer disappears - that is, in that 0.1% where it shows - and the sensor bar is perfectly working as well (it is powered by and connected to a WiiU, that I only power up AFTER the wiimote is paired with the PC).

Maybe a USB Bluetooth dongle issue?
Any suggestion will be welcomed, 'cause I don't really know what to try anymore.

I would try using the latest development version of Dolphin and see if that makes any difference as well as trying out different sensor bar placements. It is also possible you are too close or too far away for the tracking to work properly. Sometimes things like lighting can also impact tracking.

Top Bottom