• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Simbabbad

Nov 26, 2014
So, I have a request:

If people got a save from Geometry Wars Galaxies on Wii with the Lambda galaxy unlocked, could you share it? I lost my original Wii save data and have no access to a DS any more.

I spent way too much time looking for this file online. Codejunkies looked like it has one but I don't see a link anywhere on their page, and apparently wiisave.com got one, except the site is dead.

I couldn't find a Dolphin code that would unlock the Galaxy either. A shame part of this brilliant game is getting more and more inaccessible.

Jul 15, 2009
New York City
Since Dolphin's implemented Ubershaders, I decided to completely dump the contents of my GameCube memory cards and my Wii BIOS (which includes game saves) and import them into Dolphin.

GameCube dumping was super easy. I used a homebrew called GCMM to backed up my memory card first as a raw dump, and second as a bunch of GCI files. While I could have linked Dolphin to the raw card dump, I decided to use Dolphin's GCI folder feature. I copied the GCI files into the GCI folder in Dolphin and it worked like a charm.

Wii BIOS dumping through Bootmii was also super easy, and importing it into Dolphin was super simple since Dolphin now has the option to import a Bootmii BIOS dump. Dolphin with a BIOS dump is basically a real Wii; you can start up the system menu, load channels/games from it, exit the game back to the system menu, and it's all flawless.

I would suggest that others who have a strong enough PC do the same dumping and backing up process of their GameCube and/or Wii. The Ubershaders make the emulator soooo close to flawless that it's easily worth using over an actual Wii nowadays, IMO. Besides, the batteries in your GameCube memory cards might die, and everything will be erased... Back them up before that happens!

finley83

Banned
Dec 10, 2011
Dolphin Mega Progress Report: July and August 2017

July and August have been busy on the blog. On top of working on this Mega Progress Report, two feature length articles had to be made after developers selfishly completely huge, highly anticipated features without considering that it makes work for us here at the blog! Well, the extra work-load is well worth having the incredible Ubershaders and support for Dragon Quest X!

But even beyond those two massive articles, we've been hard at work keeping up with everything else going on because this is going to be a big one. Adding to that someone on the blog staff thought this month of all months would be a good idea to try and harness the power of the blog to get extra testing on some old issues. So buckle up, this is going to be a long read!

Really love the detail on these updates!

Also while I'm posting - do the Dev builds include prior updates made, or do I have do download the specific revisions in the update to get that feature? Not really familiar with how it all works.

edit: thanks!

PGamer

fucking juniors
Apr 16, 2010
Also while I'm posting - do the Dev builds include prior updates made, or do I have do download the specific revisions in the update to get that feature? Not really familiar with how it all works.

Yes, newer development builds will include all the prior updates.

Unicorn

May 5, 2009
Saturn
steamcommunity.com
New No More Heroes hype has made me want to dig up the first to games to replay. Unfortunately when I traded in my Wii U I took my Wii sensor bar instead and the Wii U one strangely isn't compatible with Wii... so I thought I'd try the Steam Controller for inputs.

I'm struggling to find a guide for setting up the motion controls - lot to dig through in this thread. I'm curious if gyro is possible, or better to use the touch pads for swipe motions? There were also nunchuck motions for grabs, I remember, but how would I set up registering 2 separate motions on the Steam Controller.

This will probably be the most involved controller set up I've had to do within Dolphin.

Mar 16, 2011
New No More Heroes hype has made me want to dig up the first to games to replay. Unfortunately when I traded in my Wii U I took my Wii sensor bar instead and the Wii U one strangely isn't compatible with Wii... so I thought I'd try the Steam Controller for inputs.

I'm struggling to find a guide for setting up the motion controls - lot to dig through in this thread. I'm curious if gyro is possible, or better to use the touch pads for swipe motions? There were also nunchuck motions for grabs, I remember, but how would I set up registering 2 separate motions on the Steam Controller.

This will probably be the most involved controller set up I've had to do within Dolphin.
I would really just grab a dolphin bar. Super easy to setup and is basically 1:1.

Unicorn

May 5, 2009
Saturn
steamcommunity.com
I would really just grab a dolphin bar. Super easy to setup and is basically 1:1.

You may be right. The more I remember, the more I realize how fucking much NMH used wii remote features - dual motion controls, shake, orientation of remote (high/low attacks and vertical for charge), and even the built in speaker for phone calls. I have no idea how that functionality works in Dolphin.

I also have no idea how to get gyro controls set up in steam, let alone getting them to register in dolphin controller set up. Got most of the buttons needed down, but just need to figure out the gyro inputs and if/how to get the speaker function active.

stan423321

Jul 24, 2014
Address masking, and if I understand correctly, on the DSP side. Wow.

Though me watching TCRF changelog recently spoiled the part about beta executable, unfortunately.

catabarez

Mar 20, 2011
Well I finally wired up a wii bluetooth module (I started when this feature was first announced!). It works great but the wiring is a little messy. It's fairly simple but using a USB cable made it a little more difficult. I have an idea of hooking a bare USB port to a breadboard and mounting the bluetooth module to it. That way it'll look a lot cleaner and won't stick out a lot.

Agent_4Seven

May 6, 2012
Um, guys, is there a good enough way to configure Wii Remote and Nunchuk to work perfectly with mouse and keyboard? Bought Prime 3 yesterday and just can't make my mouse to work great as a nunchuk and can't even pass a ship section in the very beginning. Maybe i need to download something extra for emulator to configure nunchuk? I can't even use my X360 gamepad and configure nunchack to work pefectly. I won't be gitting Wii Mini till next year and don't want to wait that long to play Prime 3.

hlhbk

Jun 9, 2009
Um, guys, is there a good enough way to configure Wii Remote and Nunchuk to work perfectly with mouse and keyboard? Bought Prime 3 yesterday and just can't make my mouse to work great as a nunchuk and can't even pass a ship section in the very beginning. Maybe i need to download something extra for emulator to configure nunchuk? I can't even use my X360 gamepad and configure nunchack to work pefectly. I won't be gitting Wii Mini till next year and don't want to wait that long to play Prime 3.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=198977418&postcount=14347

That post is how I setup Metroid prime trilogy to work with mouse and kb.

Alexios

Formerly 'Alextended'
Jan 30, 2010
https://twitter.com/Agnates
metacouncil.com
So, my Wiimote + Motion Plus + Nunchuck seem a bit shot, mainly the connectors, mostly on the remote's side, having gotten rusty or something as I hadn't used it for years until I got a dolphinbar. I was mostly using it for lightgun games which is why I didn't realize it earlier but yeah, Motion Plus will randomly stop sending data and act like it disconnected or stick to a single orientation until shaken violently to reset, similarly for the Nunchuck. I've been trying to find Wiimote Plus + Nunchuck to buy online but availability seems limited plus they're kinda expensive whenever they are available on the likes of Amazon.

Does anyone have any idea where to get a nice set shipped internationally (I'm in Greece if that matters) that won't be some dodgy OEM brand or break the bank? Bonus if they also sell the zapper (or a better equivalent with iron sights?) cos I'd like to use that with Ghost Squad as the pistol form factor I already have (SEGA's Handcannon) isn't so great for it given the non-shooting functions the game has.

Last edited:

amigastar

May 14, 2018
Playing Paper Mario TTYD on the Dolphin emu currently. It's really great.
Wanted to play it for a long time.

Last edited: