• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

This is weird, in 7714 I was able to play Xenoblade with 25 FPS no problem. Now in this version, using the same settings, I'm running 18-22 FPS.

I know it's not the resolution either, because I dropped that down to 1xNative and 1X AF and there was no change in FPS.

Here are the settings I'm using now:
(Click for full size)

I also had this graphical issue when I saved my game:

jediyoshi

AdawgDaFAB said:
Two quick questions:

- If I want to keep my Wii saves from my previous version I was using, do I just copy the whole User\Wii folder? The GC one was easy to find the mem card file.

- Is it possible to copy a save to an SD card so I can import / export saves between my Wii and PC?

To update, you can just copy over and overwrite the files from the new build's archives into your existing Dolphin directory. Your saves don't get overwritten.

Googled this about exporting saves, haven't tried it myself. To import, just go to Tools > Wii Save Import.

A bit of old-school browser-tree:

saves:
dolphin --> x64 --> user --> wii --> title --> 00010000 (copy this folder to the same location in the other dolphin version)

Ryoma-Echizen said:
A bit of old-school browser-tree:

saves:
dolphin --> x64 --> user --> wii --> title --> 00010000 (copy this folder to the same location in the other dolphin version)
00010001 would be WiiWave or VC saves right?

Ydahs

BlackBeetleKing said:
arnr.jpg
I've played this game several hours on my Wii and I just love dissecting some of the tricks they used to achieve such great draw distance. Some obvious choices are switching to low poly models once you're a certain distance away (like the whole town there). Another less obvious one is the trees. It's much easier to tell in the shot above, but from that distance trees are just flat sprites.

Also, the shadows are baked into the environment.

HooYaH

Just wondering, does fxaa works with Dolphin? Can't seem to get it to work under DX9/11. I've placed the files in the main directory.

gblues

Banned
AdawgDaFAB said:
This is weird, in 7714 I was able to play Xenoblade with 25 FPS no problem. Now in this version, using the same settings, I'm running 18-22 FPS.

I know it's not the resolution either, because I dropped that down to 1xNative and 1X AF and there was no change in FPS.

(Click for full size)

*shrugs* I know there's some major rewriting being done on the texture cache. The SVN/git snapshots are works in progress and there's no guarantee a new version won't introduce bugs that earlier versions didn't have. You might just want to use r7714 for Xenoblade and use the build I uploaded for TWW.

desu

AdawgDaFAB said:

The save game image fuck up was also present back at the japanese release over a year a ago when I played through the game on dolphin.

I'm interested in using getting into this but has anyone been able to play Another Code: R (PAL) with no problems? Also, is the Wii remote and Nunchuck required to play games? Or can I use keyboard and mouse or something else like a 360 controller?

gblues said:
*shrugs* I know there's some major rewriting being done on the texture cache. The SVN/git snapshots are works in progress and there's no guarantee a new version won't introduce bugs that earlier versions didn't have. You might just want to use r7714 for Xenoblade and use the build I uploaded for TWW.

Yeah, I figured that might have been the case. I'll do just that, I was just hoping I could ditch 7714. Once again thanks.

desu said:
The save game image fuck up was also present back at the japanese release over a year a ago when I played through the game on dolphin.
In 7714, I don't have that problem. That's what made me O_O when I saved on this version. Interesting enough, after I imported my save from 7714 to this one I saved over it and the image wasn't messed up.

tiku

AdawgDaFAB said:

(Click for full size)

There's a way to improve in a big way your performance with this game (and this also affects sound behaviour).

First of all, sorry for my english, I'll try explain myself clearly enough.

What you have to do is just going to the game list in your Dolphin build, make click with the right-button on Xenoblade and, then, in that window and in that tab, you have to check the Vbeam attribute :)

Try it and tell us how it's going :)

jediyoshi

DMPrince said:
i'm on dolphin playing xenoblade. i want to use a code to lower the exp multiplier. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30630849&postcount=9421 this one.

how would i go about doing this on dolphin? ;o

right click the game in the game list
properties
edit config button (bottom left)
copy

$EXP multiplier [dcx2]
C20C1550 00000008
48000009 3F333333
C9828198 D981FFF8
6C9A8000 9341FFFC
C961FFF8 ED6B6028
7D8802A6 C18C0000
ED6B0332 FD60581E
D961FFF8 8341FFFC

paste at the end of the document/save
gecko tab
check the checkbox next to the cheat
hit the Config button on the toolbar, make sure Enable Cheats is checked

Gvaz

Banned
Anabuhabkuss said:
So sorry for what I'm sure has been asked several times already?

1) For Wii games that rely on the pointer for certain actions, can these actions be mapped in any way on a gamepad? I'm thinking Twilight Princess, Mario Galaxy 1/2, etc.

2) Game saves can be transfered between Wii and Computer?

3) Online play via Dolphin? Yes? No? (Monster Hunter Tri, etc)
1) Yes but I haven't found a good setup for it.
2. Yes.
4. No.

Gvaz

Banned
Yeah, I don't have one, but you can get like, I think a bluetooth adapter and get a sensor bar for your pc. Or if you want to be really ghetto you can use candles instead but...

So is build 7714 better than the 3.0 release build for Xenoblade? I keep getting sound glitches after a couple minutes that require a restart to fix. Game looks beautiful though.

oatmeal

Banned
tiku said:
There's a way to improve in a big way your performance with this game (and this also affects sound behaviour).

What you have to do is just going to the game list in your Dolphin build, make click with the right-button on Xenoblade and, then, in that window and in that tab, you have to check the Vbeam attribute :)

I love this.

You explained yourself fine, btw.

Chairhome

This may have been asked, and I apologize. I finally set up Xenoblade (brother brought it back from EU!), ripped then copied to my pc... title screen looks great, haha. I can't get past that cause I can't set up my 360 controller as a classic controller. I have it set as a gcpad fine, but its looking for a classic controller or nunchuck. Do I need xpadder? I tried to configure the classic controller but it wouldn't read the inputs from the 360 controller.

jvalioli

Chairhome said:
This may have been asked, and I apologize. I finally set up Xenoblade (brother brought it back from EU!), ripped then copied to my pc... title screen looks great, haha. I can't get past that cause I can't set up my 360 controller as a classic controller. I have it set as a gcpad fine, but its looking for a classic controller or nunchuck. Do I need xpadder? I tried to configure the classic controller but it wouldn't read the inputs from the 360 controller.
Configure the wiimote, not the gcpad. should be an option to not use keyboard and to use custom pad instead.

Chairhome

jvalioli said:
Configure the wiimote, not the gcpad. should be an option to not use keyboard and to use custom pad instead.
Ah, I think I know what you're talking about. Thanks, I'll try in the morning.

jediyoshi said:
right click the game in the game list
properties
edit config button (bottom left)
copy

$EXP multiplier [dcx2]
C20C1550 00000008
48000009 3F333333
C9828198 D981FFF8
6C9A8000 9341FFFC
C961FFF8 ED6B6028
7D8802A6 C18C0000
ED6B0332 FD60581E
D961FFF8 8341FFFC

paste at the end of the document/save
gecko tab
check the checkbox next to the cheat
hit the Config button on the toolbar, make sure Enable Cheats is checked
hm. nevermind. for some reason your code and the other code gave me unlimited AP as well.

EDIT:
Sorted it out. Only needed the one row that changes the exp multiplier. cool. now i can do quests without being ovrleveld lol

tiku said:

This was already checked for me, so I unchecked it. It didn't make any difference for my FPS. I'll just stick to 7714 for XB and the newer one for TWW.

Citizen K

Just starting to mess about with dolphin. Can you save different profiles for different configurations? eg save a certain setup for xenoblade and another for a different game which requires other settings. Also, can the settings be put back to default? I cant find an option.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Citizen K said:
Just starting to mess about with dolphin. Can you save different profiles for different configurations? eg save a certain setup for xenoblade and another for a different game which requires other settings. Also, can the settings be put back to default? I cant find an option.
I don't think so, or at least I've never seen that.

Most of the time people probably just keep a separate build with each game. A lot of games seem to have specific builds that they just work really well with so that's not a bad idea.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Citizen K said:
Thanks. Is there a recommended build for xenoblade? I just downloaded v7719.
The HLE audio patch is supposed to help, but I was getting a lot of garbage in the audio even with the patch. You need a good CPU regardless.

Couldn't put up with the crackling, just playing it on the Wii now.

Gvaz

Banned
The crackling only happens randomly for me and nothing a zone change or reload wont fix an that's fast. Sometimes it goes away by itself
emot-iiam.gif

Chairhome

Just wanted to thank everyone who has been posting advice and settings on Xenoblade and Dolphin in general. Finally got mine working pretty well, getting random audio crackling, but its not too bad. The first section with Dunbar had FPS dropping to 20-ish every once in a while, but 20fps looked a lot better than i expected it to. After it shifted to the other character, pretty much getting constant 30fps. Running it on r7714M, with a Phenom II x4 945 at about 3.3/3.4.

Eiji

chaosblade said:
The HLE audio patch is supposed to help, but I was getting a lot of garbage in the audio even with the patch. You need a good CPU regardless.

Couldn't put up with the crackling, just playing it on the Wii now.

Disable "Idle Skipping" to eliminate the crackling.

Gvaz

Banned
It only eliminates the crackling on HLE if you have a really good processor. LLE doesn't have it, but you need the beefiest cpus

Chairhome

Gvaz said:
It only eliminates the crackling on HLE if you have a really good processor. LLE doesn't have it, but you need the beefiest cpus
Yeah, my Phenom II x4 isn't the best CPU for dolphin, but I'm playing at 30fps right now with some crackling. I'm not good at OC'ing my CPU though, it crashed after I OC'd it a bit using easytune 6 (I'm scared to do BIOS OCing)

daycru

This is my system:

Athlon II X2 250 3.00 GHZ
4 GB RAM
64 Bit Windows 7

Would I be able to run Dolphin if I dropped in a new video card? If so, what should I get and how much would be looking to pay?

Gvaz

Banned
Easytune doesn't increase the voltage though iirc. You have to increase the voltage very little and work your way up with frequencies until it remains stable.

daycru said:
This is my system:

Athlon II X2 250 3.00 GHZ
4 GB RAM
64 Bit Windows 7

Would I be able to run Dolphin if I dropped in a new video card? If so, what should I get and how much would be looking to pay?
Video card is almost meaningless in emulation. There's things to try and spread the load to them to help the cpu but they're experimental.

I'd suggest getting a whole new CPU instead.

Chairhome

Gvaz said:
Easytune doesn't increase the voltage though iirc. You have to increase the voltage very little and work your way up with frequencies until it remains stable.
On Easytune you can adjust the voltage in advanced mode, but I might be better off doing it in the bios. I'll have to research it a little more. I have it at 3.3 right now, i think i can push it to at least 3.6 if I'm careful.

Citizen K

Drkirby said:
I heard a while back that Motion Plus Controllers work fine, but the Motion Plus Dongle can be iffy.

You mean with motion+ built into the controller? If so, thats cool cos I'll probably get one with zelda skyward sword ltd edition.

Anyone ever use a wireless nunchuck with dolphin? My guess its a no go.

Also, can anyone recommend a decent wireless sensor bar (decent battery life/rechargable)?

Top Bottom