• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dolphin - Emulating Wii and Gamecube Games

Mudkips

Banned
Anybody successfully using Bluetooth built into their motherboard for Dolphin? Mine is ok but it seems you go over 2 meters away and it becomes flakey. I guess I'll invest in a regular sized USB one...

I am.
Atheros who knows what that came with my Asus P8Z68 Pro or Deluxe or whatever.
Using the standard drivers (the useless BT GO! shit).

Medalion

Banned
Do I need it though? Just confused on what r7719 does over the latest update, especially when I will not use Dolphin for Zelda.

From what I've gathered, this revision has the most stable and accurate texture filtering and presentation than a lot of the latest builds for some reasons which may show weird shearing/lines in and breaks, but in particular for Zelda SS but you can always experiment, you don't have to stick to 1 or the other or delete the other, I have at least 2 or 3 versions ready to go to experiment

Citizen K

Do I need it though? Just confused on what r7719 does over the latest update, especially when I will not use Dolphin for Zelda.

Its just an older version of the emulator. Works better for some games. I know for a fact it runs xenoblade very well because I used 7719 for that particular game. You could try the newest version 3.whatever but if you have glitches maybe try 7719.

Edit- yeah you can use multiple versions of the emulator as it doesnt install, you just run the program from a folder.

StevieP

Banned
Okay. First things first. I have a mid-2011 MacBooK Air, i5 1,7 + shittytel HD 3000.

-Download last build. Realize that crashes badly on Lion. Nice...
-Download 3.0. Configure pad (DS3), configure everything else, create ISO of Twilight Princess... run it on MAX settings (internal res x3, 16 anisotropic). 10 FPS. No more, no less. Not bad.
-Repeat, but this time lowering to 0,3x internal res, no anisotropic and get... 10 FPS.

WTF? Am I missing something?

A new CPU and Windows 7.

Wichu

Looking through the OP again, what's this about needing a wireless wii sensor bar? Will the one that came with the system not cut it?

If you use the Wii sensor bar, you'll need to keep the Wii on while using Dolphin, as the sensor bar only plugs into the Wii.

Ah, so the Wii being on only serves to power the bar, whereas everything else runs via computer?

i do it that way. the only real pain is that you have to make sure the Wii is off when you sync the wiimote with dolphin, and then you have to remember to switch it off afterwards. damn quiet systems those Wiis.

just reached the sixth dungeon in Zelda, and still haven't run into any notable glitches.

Its just an older version of the emulator. Works better for some games. I know for a fact it runs xenoblade very well because I used 7719 for that particular game. You could try the newest version 3.whatever but if you have glitches maybe try 7719.

Edit- yeah you can use multiple versions of the emulator as it doesnt install, you just run the program from a folder.

pro tip, create a junctioned directory link in each dolphin folder to ensure each version uses the same User directory (and thus shares all the same saves!).

En-ou

got it working! yes, please update the OP with a ss guide from felip or something

my specs:
core i5 2500k stock
asus 560ti stock
8 GB RAM
win 7 64-bit
asus p8p67 pro board using its built in bluetooth
bought a wireless sensor bar on ebay

the 7719 build can be found here: http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/download.html?list=3
settings from felip - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32829468&postcount=5932
i turned vsync on, using 3x res, no anti alias (or you get weird ghosting), 2x af

i also have to plug my motion+ and then my nunchuk at the screen where it asks you to do it. if i have it all plugged in and i start the game, it does not work.

:) :)

Ledsen

Okay. First things first. I have a mid-2011 MacBooK Air, i5 1,7 + shittytel HD 3000.

-Download last build. Realize that crashes badly on Lion. Nice...
-Download 3.0. Configure pad (DS3), configure everything else, create ISO of Twilight Princess... run it on MAX settings (internal res x3, 16 anisotropic). 10 FPS. No more, no less. Not bad.
-Repeat, but this time lowering to 0,3x internal res, no anisotropic and get... 10 FPS.

WTF? Am I missing something?

You're missing a computer capable of running Dolphin.

Is it possible to run Dolphin in stereoscopic 3D? I know there are [third party?] solutions for Nvidia and ATI that force any Direct3D game to run in 3D. I'm thinking it could be surreal to play Wii and GC games in 1080p, 60fps, and 3D o_O

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Is it possible to run Dolphin in stereoscopic 3D? I know there are [third party?] solutions for Nvidia and ATI that force any Direct3D game to run in 3D. I'm thinking it could be surreal to play Wii and GC games in 1080p, 60fps, and 3D o_O
I'm not sure how (no 3D screen or PC powerful enough to test), but it can run games in 3D.

Anyway, I did some experiments with Dolphin on my (kinda old) rig:

Core 2 Duo E8400 3 GHz
8 GB DDR2 RAM
GeForece GTX 560Ti 1 GB

Some games are sort of playable, but the most graphically intensive ones slow down to a crawl, and I have to keep the AA and AF settings pretty low (usually 4x for both) to gain a few frames per second. I also need to keep VSync disabled :/

Click the screens for 1080p version:

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker

After getting to Windfall Island, I found some settings that make it run quite decently, around 30 fps most of the time, unless when there's too much on screen. This screen looks kinda blurry, but I honestly didn't notice while playing. The widescreen hack, though, makes things appear or disappear suddenly when they are near the borders of the screen, outside the usual view in 4:3. Any way to fix this?

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Looks amazing and runs at pretty much full frame rate, except the occasional stuttering.

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Only played for a few minutes, it seemed to run very well. The low res noise filter is quite terrible though, there's a distracting white band on the top and left sides all the time, and the flashlight is broken (it shows random shadows covering most of the light). Any optimal settings for this game?

The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Played a little bit, runs at full frame rate inside the Academy but the fps dip significantly once you go outside. I tried different settings suggested in this thread and settled for felipepl's (I think). It looks quite good, but some outdoors parts seem too bright, and there's an annoying "seeing double" effect instead of the blurring. Any way to fix the latter?

Red

Thanks. I think you're still quite a while away.

Hey, got those pictures up, near the end game of Skyward Sword.

Here is the album (lots of spoilers).

No cherry picking pictures, just throwing them all together. Quantity over quality in this case. They are uploading right now, so they'll be available to view anytime now.

The ones you wanted will be at the end.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
So is there a way to play SH: SS now? It looks amazing upscaled but all those GFX glitches are horrible.

Use r7719 - it got rid of all of the weird ghosting and glitches for me. Head over to the official Skyward Sword thread over at the Dolphin forums and have a read on the recommended AA settings and so forth.

Use r7719 - it got rid of all of the weird ghosting and glitches for me. Head over to the official Skyward Sword thread over at the Dolphin forums and have a read on the recommended AA settings and so forth.

SH:SS is not Skyward Sword ;)

i remember there was a build of Dolphin that worked really nicely with Shattered Memories. I will try to find the info again.

edit: r4727 played in OpenGL looked pretty good.

http://www.emucr.com/2009/12/dolphin-svn-r4727.html

Chuckpebble

can someone make this into an avatar for me?
SOUE01-3.png

100px square seemed to work best:
Leaf100.png

But here's the full res if you wanna play around with a 100x120 crop:
Leaf.png

Now get some batteries and don't say I never did nothin for ya. (avatar, LOL)

Chuckpebble

Anyone running this on a new MacBook Pro? Can you get pre compiled builds for Mac?

I have a build on my Macbook. Haven't done anything with it though. I don't expect it to be a performer. I actually only installed it with the intent of running AC:CF on it. A computer seems a perfect fit for that game, but I really haven't tinkered with it or even know if it runs. I'd be running it in a window, most likely at normal resolution, which kind of goes against the grain of what 99% of people use it for.

There's a post earlier in this thread where I got my download from. I'll look for it again.

Thanks, but that is quite broken as well. :( Weird flickering on the top and th ebottom, broken aspect ratio and a white outline top and left side. :(

the white outline i think is something every build of dolphin has... but i don't remember any issues with the aspect ratio. make sure you haven't got widescreen hack turned on, and make sure you're set to 16:9 in your wii settings.

it's not perfect in any build, but that one is the best, afaik.

Thrakier

the white outline i think is something every build of dolphin has... but i don't remember any issues with the aspect ratio. make sure you haven't got widescreen hack turned on, and make sure you're set to 16:9 in your wii settings.

it's not perfect in any build, but that one is the best, afaik.

And the flickering issue on the top and the bottom?

And the flickering issue on the top and the bottom?

not sure on that one. when i get in tonight i'll fire it up again and see what you're talking about. i remember some shadow flickering and a few other minor glitches. make sure you have safe texture cache enabled... that's all i got for right now without having it infront of me.

Thrakier

not sure on that one. when i get in tonight i'll fire it up again and see what you're talking about. i remember some shadow flickering and a few other minor glitches. make sure you have safe texture cache enabled... that's all i got for right now without having it infront of me.

The black bars on top and bottom are kinda...flickering...

Enk

makes good threads.
Just finished Skyward Sword and decided to finally check it out on Dolphin. Wow! It's almost like a completely new game (too bad it doesn't clean up the fetch quests as well). Gorgeous to look at like Wind Waker was and runs surprisingly well too. Anyways, just looking at it made me want to play through the beginning parts again and I took some hi-res snaps along the way.

z1-2.png

z3-2.png

z7-2.png

z6-1.png

z8-1.png

z0.png

z4-2.png

wabo

Banned
A new CPU and Windows 7.

lol

...just not. I know really well that my MBA is what you could say "not designed to run any kind of thing appart from... a web browser" that leads to uter-shit performance with Dolphin but that doesn't explain why whatever the res I always get the same framerate: 10 damn frames.

It can look absolutely mindblowing... at 10 FPS, or jaggie mesh PSP'd... at 10 FPS. :S

However, I'll try MGS:TW and a few more to see what happens. Bad as hell performance, I know, but I wanna try.

lol

...just not. I know really well that my MBA is what you could say "not designed to run any kind of thing appart from... a web browser" that leads to uter-shit performance with Dolphin but that doesn't explain why whatever the res I always get the same framerate: 10 damn frames.

It can look absolutely mindblowing... at 10 FPS, or jaggie mesh PSP'd... at 10 FPS. :S

However, I'll try MGS:TW and a few more to see what happens. Bad as hell performance, I know, but I wanna try.
It means that your GPU is being bottlenecked by your CPU.

wabo

Banned
So... hypothetically... if I had the same shityntel HD 3000 and a... i5 2,6 ie I could run Dolphin flawlessly... or not? This reminds me I'll upload some shots later ftl.

Azar

So... hypothetically... if I had the same shityntel HD 3000 and a... i5 2,6 ie I could run Dolphin flawlessly... or not? This reminds me I'll upload some shots later ftl.
No way. The embedded GPU is not going to be able to handle pumping out graphics at a decent resolution. The Air's ULV processor is also far weaker than a fully fledged i5.

Red

What are you trying to prove? Am I misunderstanding you or are you arguing against the fact that you will be CPU limited by emulation?

wabo

Banned
Nothing. I guessed based on what you said Dolphin is heavy using CPU in order to do tasks GPU related in Wii, so thats why no matter the res I run TP, it always run sloooooooooow.

So... making an educated guess: If the problem (at least not the main) is not my GPU (that is actually atrocious) but my CPU (ídem), what would need (other people with *similar* specs) to guarantee Dolphin is gonna run OK? IE i5 2,6 + HD3000?

Hope now it's clearer.

Thrakier

Nothing. I guessed based on what you said Dolphin is heavy using CPU in order to do tasks GPU related in Wii, so thats why no matter the res I run TP, it always run sloooooooooow.

So... making an educated guess: If the problem (at least not the main) is not my GPU (that is actually atrocious) but my CPU (ídem), what would need (other people with *similar* specs) to guarantee Dolphin is gonna run OK? IE i5 2,6 + HD3000?

Hope now it's clearer.

i5 above 4GHz and a good middlerange GFX card like 6850 or 560TI.

En-ou

100px square seemed to work best:
Leaf100.png

But here's the full res if you wanna play around with a 100x120 crop:
Leaf.png

Now get some batteries and don't say I never did nothin for ya. (avatar, LOL)

heh, thanks! the sensor bar i bought for $10 also came with a pair of rechargeable batteries and its charge station!

wabo

Banned
Just tried without specific tweaks. All at 3x native res + 16 anisotropic + Lighting per pixel

- Batman Begins (PAL): 6 FPS, odd glitches.
- MGS (NTSC): 20 FPS at highs, can go down til 14 FPS. (Tried 1x + 1x + No but almost the same)
- Skies of Arcadia (PAL): As low as 13 in cuscenes, 26 during gameplay.

Skies of Arcadia looks playable and sweet.

EDIT: DAMN TINYPIC...

GEAP8P-1.png

GEAP8P-2.png

GGSEA4-2.png

GGSEA4-3.png

GGSEA4-1.png

SoA and one of MGS are 3x, the other two 1x. I think.

reektann

Any clear way to resolve the strange ghosting/bloom/ghosting you get around people? I'm running no AA just AF as per the guides but I still seem to see this.

Yaska

Just tried without specific tweaks. All at 3x native res + 16 anisotropic + Lighting per pixel

- Batman Begins (PAL): 6 FPS, odd glitches.
- MGS (NTSC): 20 FPS at highs, can go down til 14 FPS. (Tried 1x + 1x + No but almost the same)
- Skies of Arcadia (PAL): As low as 13 in cuscenes, 26 during gameplay.

Skies of Arcadia looks playable and sweet.

EDIT: DAMN TINYPIC...

GEAP8P-1.png

GEAP8P-2.png

GGSEA4-2.png

GGSEA4-3.png

GGSEA4-1.png

SoA and one of MGS are 3x, the other two 1x. I think.

Arcadia is playable, but you need hefty cpu for it and LLE. I get full 25 fps (PAL) all the time, with occasional spikes during cutscenes. I posted some screens earlier in this thread. Also there's the red triangle bug. Also can't remember which settings I used so I wouldn't freeze all the time. Gotta see when I have time to play Arcadia again to post settings here.

Medalion

Banned
I dunno if you tried disabling some things in the advanced section... I turn off things like fog and alpha pass cuz I like the cleaner look frankly

Top Bottom