• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump asked Rupert Murdoch to name picks for FCC chair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/4/14167832/donald-trump-rupert-murdoch-fcc-chair-net-neutrality

Newscorp CEO Rupert Murdoch may have a significant influence in the next four years of American telecom policy. According to a new report from New York Magazine’s Gabriel Sherman, President-elect Trump has asked the conservative Australian broadcast titan to submit names of his preferred candidates for chair of the Federal Communications Commission. Current chairman Tom Wheeler plans to step down when Trump takes office, and the president-elect is expected to nominate a successor in the weeks to come.

There’s no guarantee Trump will follow Murdoch’s recommendations, but the news suggests Murdoch already wields significant influence in the incoming administration. Sherman’s source says Murdoch is also lobbying for further conditions on AT&T’s proposed acquisition of Time Warner, potentially because he sees the new conglomerate as a threat to his holdings.

The FCC advisers on Trump’s transition team have been staunch critics of Wheeler’s work as FCC chair, which included historic new protections for net neutrality. Trump’s incoming chair will likely seek to reverse those protections, although it’s still unclear how difficult that process will be.

What could go wrong here....

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
So what's their bullshit reasoning for this?

Seriously, how can you possibly justify that this isn't just blatant corruption.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
President-elect Trump has asked the conservative Australian broadcast titan to submit names of his preferred candidates for chair of the Federal Communications Commission.

The FCC advisers on Trump’s transition team have been staunch critics of Wheeler’s work as FCC chair, which included historic new protections for net neutrality. Trump’s incoming chair will likely seek to reverse those protections, although it’s still unclear how difficult that process will be.

The internet is fucked.

Zips

Trump and co will run things into the ground with the expectation that they'll escape with their loot after 4 years. But then they'll be given another 4 because the American people have shown they are dumb and easily manipulated. Good luck to anyone around who is still sane in that fiery wreckage.

This is of course assuming that they do not erode the country's democracy to the point of awarding themselves perpetual rule. Which they very well could do with the level of control they have over elections and the dissemination of information at this point.

Diablos

With the option to pay .99c a minute for 1080p! Or, pay $5.99 for the full stream in glorious 1080p!
I really hope it doesn't get that bad.

Comcast already brags about how X1 now has Netflix. Are they gonna force people to buy a tv package with net neutrality crippled?

smokeymicpot

Beat EviLore at pool.

Comcast already brags about how X1 now has Netflix. Are they gonna force people to buy a tv package with net neutrality crippled?

Probably force more data caps on packages so they have to pay that extra penny.

Biske

Wait a minute,

you are telling me,

that we elected a man with absolutely no government experience,

has a life long history of being a bridge burning asshole,

and he relies on his crony friends and their crony choices,

because he has no fucking clue what he is doing,

or what it takes to run a government?

I am shocked and chagrined.

Berordn

You want him to die because you disagree with him politically?

I think in most cases it's not so much that anyone wishes ill on the man, they just believe the world would be a much better place if he were to stop influencing media the way he does. No longer existing is just one route to take.

Kas

Didn't Murdoch come out a week or two ago saying he has never taliked to or influenced politicians?

It's absolute bullshit, but still.

liquidtmd

Banned
I think in most cases it's not so much that anyone wishes ill on the man, they just believe the world would be a much better place if he were to stop influencing media the way he does. No longer existing is just one route to take.

Murdoch Junior is his clone politically. His legacy sadly lives on regardless.

I'm positive it won't.

This narrative that all backlash from the public will be ignored if the FCC does shitty things to the internet is a fantasy.

If people spoke up about that House ethics gutting thing, then they'll speak out against crap from the FCC. Perhaps even more so than people did two years ago.

Faddy

Banned
This is actually good for the Internet.

Murdoch should be a proponent of Net Neutrality since Fox is a direct competitor in TV to Time Warner and Comcast but don't have an ISP business. It would stand to reason Murdoch would be against allowing e.g Comcast to zero rate NBC Universal (its subsidiary) shows while Fox shows count against Data Caps.

In terms of right wingers trying to screw the internet in America I would put Murdoch on the low end of the scale.

Egh who cares. Since we're concerned about net neutrality here, we already know that Trump wants net neutrality gone because corporations say so, and Republican politicians demand it. Power to the people!

Seiryoden

You know even thinking about Murdoch makes me so angry I could...

Leave it at this: not surprised at all. All anglo conservatives ask "how high?" when that cunt calls. Many so-called Liberals too :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom