• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump releases official statement on Muslim EO; calls it "extreme vetting"

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The fact that this order was applied to US residents, people who already got a US visa and citizens of other countries than the ones that are subject to the ban makes this statement stupid and fake.

tumblr_n89ayzRmXY1rtmwk6o1_400.gif

liquidtmd

Banned
"Im doing what Obama did, but nothing like it really, but if I say Obama named these counties you must concede it must be right because you liked Obama and he made sane decisions

Oh and by the way I still hate Obama and remember he was a dick. Anything he did was bad and whatever he did I should do the opposite"

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
bu bu bu Obama. Also this is "not about religion" after Giuliani confirmed Trump asked him how to do a muslim ban legally
I saw this live. What a tremendous admission. And Giuliani didn't seem to be self-aware of what he was admitting.

It's like an official admitting the war or drugs was a way to arrest black people.

To echo the sentiment of others: I seriously doubt he wrote this. I'd assume Bannon did.

The Obama example is yet another example of Trump quoting an action or event without listing specifics. The Washington Post has written up an article that goes into full detail.

"Im doing what Obama did, but nothing like it really, but if I say Obama named these counties you must concede it must be right because you liked Obama and he made sane decisions

Oh and by the way I still hate Obama and remember he was a dick. Anything he did was bad and whatever he did I should do the opposite"

Nailed it.

Even if you give Trump all the credit in the world, this was a grossly incompetent way to go about immigration reform. People got on planes and were told they had to go back after they landed. People weren't sure if this applied to people with green cards. Governing takes work.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
What a bizarre defense. He's arguing that Obama was basically a secret Republican?

btrboyev

What he and Obama did are not the same. Obama stopped issuing passports. Trump just said fuck you to all who were already vetted and on the way over.

On NPR yesterday they were saying that it was Obama's list. Guess it doesn't have anything to do with Trump's business interests after all.

pringles

The dumbest thing about this 'defense' isn't that it's obviously different from what Obama did, it's that after 8 years of attacking Obama for being horrible, incompetent, dangerous, weak etc., the best these people can come up with to defend their actions is to say... "we're just doing what Obama did".

Like seriously?

On NPR yesterday they were saying that it was Obama's list. Guess it doesn't have anything to do with Trump's business interests after all.

It might very well be obamas list too however Obama tried to navigate his way through vested interests and still get something positive done, there is no way the USA can speak the truth about Saudi Arabia any more than it can stop making a $$$ selling arms to Egypt and turkey so those countries are off everyone's action list regardless.
It isn't much to do with obama and a lot to do with the military industrial complex. Beneath trump and his evil cronies there are still volumes of hypocritical issues with American foreign policy.

Going back through 2011 News:

http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/al-qa...terrorists-country-refugees/story?id=20931131

ABC News:

After two terrorists were discovered in Bowling Green, Kentucky, in 2009, the FBI began reviewing reams of evidence taken from improvised explosive devices (IEDs) that had been used against American troops in Iraq. Federal investigators then tried to match fingerprints from those bombs to the fingerprints of individuals who had recently entered the United States as refugees.

The Iraqi had claimed to be a refugee who faced persecution back home — a story that shattered when the FBI found his fingerprints on a cordless phone base that U.S. soldiers dug up in a gravel pile south of Bayji, Iraq on Sept. 1, 2005. The phone base had been wired to unexploded bombs buried in a nearby road.

An ABC News investigation of the flawed U.S. refugee screening system, which was overhauled two years ago, showed that Alwan was mistakenly allowed into the U.S. and resettled in the leafy southern town of Bowling Green, Kentucky, a city of 60,000 which is home to Western Kentucky University and near the Army's Fort Knox and Fort Campbell. Alwan and another Iraqi refugee, Mohanad Shareef Hammadi, 26, were resettled in Bowling Green even though both had been detained during the war by Iraqi authorities, according to federal prosecutors.

They were finally arrested in 2011 and that's when Obama determined they needed to revamp screening procedures.

Obama had evidence of a clear and present danger - the refugee system at the time didn't have adequate screening and known IED terrorists who had been fingerprinted weren't properly screened and entered the country.

Trump has banned people from several different countries based on a POTENTIAL threat, as opposed to Obama who did it based on an IMMINENT threat.

Obama was giving the FBI time to try to match fingerprints from IED devices to refugees trying to get into the country.

Trump is... I don't know what the hell Trump is doing other than asking Muslims if they like Apple Pie and Hot Dogs or not.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
As a Mexican, the longer this shit gets dragged on, the better for us
I think you are mistaken.

All this is being worked in parallel. A lot of white house staff to keep things moving.

Its possibly worse. May rush more stuff because of the backlash.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's not about religion... except where the order goes out of its way to clear the path for Christians from those countries to be exempted from the refugee rules. Which leaves... discriminating against Muslims, exactly as Giuliani admitted.

There isn't any reason for it. No intelligence, no retaliation. Just the minute he gets in office he starts throwing his weight around just to see what he can do, with no substance on what he hopes to achieve.

dabig2

Yeah, like, who exactly is he trying to appeal to here?

He's appealing to his base still. It's a common tactic everyone uses but the right in this country really loves - deflect deflect deflect and put the other side on the defensive.

It's super easy for the Repubes to do it because the other side are the ones fighting for equality and justice and fair treatment and the little guy, so if you can point out some false equivalency hypocrisy and attempt to bring them down to your level, then you force them on the defensive and now they have to waste time explaining. And when you're explaining, you're losing; especially when it comes to the braindead masses in this country who will straight up ignore you anyways and continue deflecting.

Very similar to the ol Rovian tactic, except here it doesn't matter if the lie becomes accepted or not.

FStubbs

Trump will force them to eat bacon. That'll be his extreme vetting. Anyone suspected of being a terrorist who declines isn't allowed in.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The dumbest thing about this 'defense' isn't that it's obviously different from what Obama did, it's that after 8 years of attacking Obama for being horrible, incompetent, dangerous, weak etc., the best these people can come up with to defend their actions is to say... "we're just doing what Obama did".

Like seriously?
+1. Their stated goal is to basically repeal, erase everything Obama did. And yet, as soon as they're given the chance to have the courage of their own convictions, they immediately hide behind Obama's coattails. It's way too disgustingly transparent at this point.

MIMIC

Banned
Obama's actions vs. Trump's:

So what’s the difference with Trump’s action?

First, Obama responded to an actual threat—the discovery that two Iraqi refugees has been implicated in bomb-making in Iraq that had targeted U.S. troops. (Iraq, after all, had been a war zone.) Under congressional pressure, officials decided to reexamine all previous refugees and also impose new screening procedures, which led to a slowdown in processing new applications. Trump, by contrast, issued his executive order without any known triggering threat.

Second, Obama did not announce there was a ban on visa applications. In fact, as seen in Napolitano’s answer to Collins, administration officials danced around that question. There was certainly a lot of news reporting that visa applications had been slowed to a trickle. But the Obama administration never said it was their policy to halt all applications. Even so, the delays did not go unnoticed, so there was a lot of critical news reporting at the time about the angst of Iraqis waiting for approval.

Third, Obama’s policy did not prevent all citizens of that country, including green-card holders, from traveling the United States. Trump’s policy is much more sweeping, though officials have appeared to pull back from barring permanent U.S. residents.

We have sought comment from the White House and also from Obama administration officials and so may update this if more information becomes available. But so far this is worthy of at least Two Pinocchios.
Washington Post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom