• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donald Trump's potential Supreme Court judge pick thinks gay people should be jailed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

One of Donald Trump’s prospective picks for the Supreme Court believes gay people should be prosecuted for having sex because they are not protected by the constitution.

While serving as Alabama’s Attorney General in 2003, William H Pryor Jr wrote a legal brief in defence of a Texan law – later struck down by the Supreme Court – which criminalised consensual gay sex.

He compared it to “polygamy, incest, paedophilia, prostitution, and adultery” and said the Alabama court had “never recognised a fundamental right to engage in sexual activity outside of monogamous heterosexual marriage, let alone to engage in homosexual sodomy”.

“Such a right would be antithetical to the ‘traditional relation of the family’ that is as old and as fundamental as our entire civilisation”, he added.

He claimed that people did not have the right to engage in whatever consensual sex they liked behind closed doors because “homosexual sodomy has not historically been recognised in this country as a right; to the contrary, it has historically been recognised as a wrong. It is not a fundamental right”.

Justice Pryor, who currently sits on the US Appeals Court for the Eleventh Circuit which presides over Alabama, Georgia and Florida, also opposes abortion even in cases of rape, describing it as “murder”.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...rights-abortion-william-h-pryor-a7422416.html

Lock me up if old

I mean so did scalia

Not trying to normalize this but the person who he would replaces held the same disgusting view. They've never gone away

scalia in that texas case

Today's opinion is the product of a Court, which is the product of a law-profession culture, that has largely signed on to the so-called homosexual agenda, by which I mean the agenda promoted by some homosexual activists directed at eliminating the moral opprobrium that has traditionally attached to homosexual conduct.... [T]he Court has taken sides in the culture war, departing from its role of assuring, as neutral observer, that the democratic rules of engagement are observed.

He cited the majority opinion's concern that the criminalization of sodomy could be the basis for discrimination against homosexuals as evidence that the majority ignored the views of most Americans:
So imbued is the Court with the law profession's anti-anti-homosexual culture, that it is seemingly unaware that the attitudes of that culture are not obviously "mainstream"; that in most States what the Court calls "discrimination" against those who engage in homosexual acts is perfectly legal.

He continued: "Let me be clear that I have nothing against homosexuals, or any other group, promoting their agenda through normal democratic means." The majority's "invention of a brand-new 'constitutional right'", he wrote, showed it was "impatient of democratic change".

Fox318

I need to send this to a gay friend who thought Trump would fix the economy and Obama didn't do anything for him.

Morts

Trump is a lame duck with only four years left in his term. We should wait until after the 2020 election so that the American people can have a say in the Supreme Court.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
So how much longer do I have to keep hearing "give Trump a chance" before people realize he meant what he said?

Sinfamy

The nomination of this judge? Totally agree.
Sure.
But in every "Trump does something horrible" thread I'm seeing this economy anxiety meme.
You're conflating what got him partly elected to what he wants to do afterwards, different things.
It seems like it's implying that there was no economy anxiety.

Unless you're trying to be ironic, similarly to saying "hope and change" when Obama does something bad.
If it's the ladder, then it's cool.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Sure.
But in every "Trump does something horrible" thread I'm seeing this economy anxiety meme.
You're conflating what got him partly elected to what he wants to do afterwards, different things.

Yeah, who could have possibly guessed this could be the result? We aren't Nostradamus!

cdyhybrid

Sure.
Are they different things?

If someone tells you "I'll kick you in the nuts if you vote for me", and you vote for him and get kicked in the nuts, should you really be surprised?

Alchemy

This needs to stop.

No, fucking drag Trump supporters through the dirt until this shit is over. He is doing god damn everything people knew about and were worried he would do, holding a fucking rainbow flag upside down on stage a single time doesn't erase this.

“Such a right would be antithetical to the ‘traditional relation of the family’ that is as old and as fundamental as our entire civilisation

See, this has always been my major criticism with conservatism's appeal to tradition.

I get it, a lot of the good parts of society are parts of tradition, and there is value there.

But the argument that things must stay the same falls apart when you realize that, say, the American Family hasn't stopped awful person and awful things from existing.

I see no evidence that change is bad. Or that change isn't inevitable honestly.
Which is another criticism of conservatism: insisting to remain within tradition when tradition inevitably will change. iPhones and the internet aren't exactly traditional either.

slit

He won't so it because of that. He trying to get the LGBTQ community to think he's on their side. Having said that, the pick will still be as conservative as Archie Bunker.

Sure.

Unless you're trying to ironic, similarly to saying "hope and change" when Obama does something bad.

no, people just want it to be impossible to pretend institutionalized cruelty wasn't a part of the platform he ran on.

Dude Abides

Banned
This was the mainstream conservative legal position at the time.

Perhaps still is.

He was doing what the AG of a state is supposed to do - defend that state's laws.

I mean so did scalia

Not trying to normalize this but the person who he would replaces held the same disgusting view. They've never gone away

I think I understand what Scalia is saying, in the legal sense.
However, I also think a broader interpretation of the constitution is essential in a modern and evolving society. Sometimes change needs to happen at a faster pace. His particular interpretation seems to hold his own (unexplored) moral bias. So how really is it different?

I really should have become a constitutional lawyer. I would love to argue these cases.

G.ZZZ

we're giving him a chance because we have to, not because we want to. just keep that in mind.

Like seriously, people making me so depressed on the possibilities of this world. If even the "left" can't understand how to work toward a better future for everyone, we've got no chance, but honestly why i even had doubts, people are just that dumb on average. Gotta believe in accellerationism at this point, and hope we need to get it real bad real fast before people stop acting like the priviliged pricks they are.

Jeels

Sure.

Unless you're trying to be ironic, similarly to saying "hope and change" when Obama does something bad.

Bullshit. Everything he's been trying to do so far he's said directly or indirectly that he intends to.

Hell, this particular supreme court pick was on his list that he released before the election: https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-...list-of-potential-supreme-court-justice-picks

So yes, "economic anxiety"

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
No it doesn't. Fuck anyone who voted trump. They are bad people.

THat is the problem that got you into this mess in the first place. The racists who have taken over and been emboldened by the win are not all the people who voted for him, or the people who didn't vote for Hillary.

The people most hurt by policies enacted are usually the ones who vote against their self interest, because they are not educated by the media or properly educated by the political candidates and in many cases manipulated by their own downward spiral circumstances to turn to racism or bigotry in many cases.

This supreme court pick is the fault of Trump and what he wants to do after the election, what caused the election is a completely different argument.

I hate the false narrative of "racists" being the ones who won Trump the Presidency. Obama won a majority of the states that put Trump over the edge both times.

The democrats were not filling the position they needed to with social and true populism, which allowed Trump to fill that spot with a cross between xenophobic and false populism

Seik

Banned
One more step towards getting everyone pissed.

The more this shit goes, the more I think a civil war is coming.

Balphon

I wouldn't be surprised if Pryor were a right-wing ideologue, but you can't really demonstrate that from a brief he filed when he was AG of Alabama. The position advocated is the State's, not his.

I mean so did scalia

The whole Griswold line of cases is a bit sticky. You'll find surprising people on both sides.

RCSI

No it doesn't. Fuck anyone who voted trump. They are bad people.

As much as we like to wall off others and create these hateful divisions, nothing good will come of it. Even if we feel it is justified, that will not change the "other side" behaviors. Constant and targeted positive rational discussion and demonstrations is needed to replace hateful behavior and categorical lumping of constructed groups.

So yes, the hateful rhetoric does need to stop.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Fucking ewww.

If he gets nominated for real, any chance the Senate votes against him? I mean this guy is a nutcase even by GOP stan.... oh who the fuck am I kidding

As much as we like to wall off others and create these hateful divisions, nothing good will come of it. Even if we feel it is justified, that will not change the "other side" behaviors. Constant and targeted rational discussion and demonstrations is needed to replace hateful behavior and categorical lumping of constructed groups.

So yes, the hateful rhetoric does need to stop.
Siiiiiiiiigggggghhhhhhh

Sure.

Yeah. No. He ran with an anti-LGBTQ+ VP in a party with and alongside supporters like Ted Cruz and Mike Huckabee that support anti-LGBTQ+ legislation. The tenor of the entire election cycle was how he had the potential to end up putting at least 2 conservative judges on the bench. Anyone who voted for him would be foolish to act surprised.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
I'm locking this thread because the typical shit posting has derailed it already. Keep it up and it will get much quieter here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom