• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: Same-Sex Marriage is "Fine", “It was settled in the Supreme Court."

Status
Not open for further replies.
But somehow Roe v. Wade isn't settled in the Supreme Court? Gimme a break.

And for those who think state by state can be OK; think of all the federal benefits that were forbidden as part of DOMA.

One would assume that if the SC reverts the gay marriage decision, it won't just be so that Alabama doesn't have to give out gay marriage licenses, but they'll also use it as an excuse to forbid rights like green cards, visitation rights, etc. that are part of a full marriage.

Will Alabama have to recognize a gay marriage from New York? If they don't does that mean that you can marry a man in NYC, and a woman in Alabama with no issues?

It'll be a mess.

Misha

Banned
He said whatever the crowd wanted to hear wherever he was.

I don't remember him flip-flopping on that issue, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he did at some point.
He did. On hb2 he essentially said that he's sure that the state made the best choice for itself and the states should be trusted to decide for themselves (could have flopped back knowing him tho)
m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_577d4443e4b09b4c43c1e90d/amp

Pau

A lot of republicans actually agree wholeheartedly with the state-by-state rulings on abortion. Was talking to my father in law about this who is a staunch republican Fox News watcher, and he says the normal reasoning is that a state like Alabama would have a totally different ratio of pro-lifers than a state like California so it's unfair to make a sweeping nationwide decision on something like that.
It's unfair to make a sweeping nationwide decision on a woman's right to make decisions about her own body? That's still a terrifying way of looking at it.

Misha

Banned
It's unfair to make a sweeping nationwide decision on a woman's right to make decisions about her own body? That's still a terrifying way of looking at it.

Was frustrating to hear my dad say "what do lgbt people have to fear? States can still decide to have same sex marriage"

The issue with a lot of these people is they can't relate and don't see it as rights that are being infringed upon. They consider them either more minor things that isn't a big deal if you have to move states to do or super huge things that our society has to determine is no good

A lot of republicans actually agree wholeheartedly with the state-by-state rulings on slavery. Was talking to my father in law about this who is a staunch republican Fox News watcher, and he says the normal reasoning is that a state like Alabama would have a totally different ratio of plantation owners than a state like California so it's unfair to make a sweeping nationwide decision on something like that.

This is how all that sounds when you turn the clock back 150 years and speak to the divisive issue of the day.

PSqueak

Banned
serious question: Has trump ever shown any homophobic behavior as a candidate or was it just something we all took for granted due to his other regressive views?

serious question: Has trump ever shown any homophobic behavior as a candidate or was it just something we all took for granted due to his other regressive views?

No he has been pretty ok on that front. It is just that if he does appoint conservative Supreme Court justices, they are not bound to think the way he does.

Trurl

Banned

I believe relative to other Republicans his rhetoric has been fairly progressive on these issues. More than words matter and I don't expect anything good from the government surrounding him, but I don't think Trump is a homophobe.

Honestly I think that gay marriage is fine. These might end up being hard years for the LGBT community in other ways but focusing on gay marriage seems like fear mongering to me.

The only decision he ever made as a candidate that has any actual practical implications for the LGBTQ community was nominating Mike Pence as his running mate.

I don't think he really cares about the issue, but he's not exactly stacking his inner circle with LGBTQ-friendly people.

PSqueak

Banned
No he has been pretty ok on that front. It is just that if he does appoint conservative Supreme Court justices, they are not bound to think the way he does.

I believe relative to other Republicans his rhetoric has been fairly progressive on these issues. More than words matter and I don't expect anything good from the government surrounding him, but I don't think Trump is a homophobe.

The only decision he ever made as a candidate that has any actual practical implications for the LGBTQ community was nominating Mike Pence as his running mate.

I don't think he really cares about the issue, but he's not exactly stacking his inner circle with LGBTQ-friendly people.

I suspected as much. Then again the Pence thing is a big deal in this regard.

This is all it took for some of ya'll? An individual who has consistently shown his word to be meaningless, whose actions as President-elect have already undermined any professed support for the LGBT community, and this is all it took?

Ken Blackwell as top domestic policy advisor, Steve Bannon as chief strategist, Mike Pence as VP, and ya'll are ready to rest assured because of fucking 60 Minutes?

I feared liberals would roll over, but I didn't expect it to be this easy and this early.

The minute that Trump goes five minutes without tripping over his verbal shoelaces suddenly he's absolved of everything he's said and done and we're being foolish for not falling in line.

It's another symptom of how people don't give a shit about the structure of the government beyond the White House. Trump chose Mike Pence as his VP, said nothing about the RNC pushing it's most staunchly Anti-LGBT policy plan ever, is currently loading up his cabinet with people who couldn't give a shit about LGBT right now, thinks he can find some magical SCOTUS appointment that's against Abortion & Gun Control, but not Gay Marriage, and is planning to sign FADA.

But oh, he's personally indifferent to gay marriage, silly me, all these protests are for nothing!

I don't understand what Obama could have actually said to him though.

I'd speculate that the Obama meeting is the first time Trump has let his guard down and stopped being political. I imagine that the meeting wasn't two men being republican or democrat, but two men talking about the issues this country faces and how to best solve them. Obama articulated his own point of view and opened Trump's eyes (hopefully).

alternade

And yet he surrounds himself with people who are salivating at the thought of filling the court with ultra conservative judges. Roe and Obergefell won't probably be changed during his administration but he and his cronies are laying the groundwork for it to become a reality.

Futureman

I'm sure this has been brought up, but it doesn't make any sense to say the Supreme Court ruled on same-sex marriage so he won't touch it, but he wants to overturn Roe v Wade and make it a state's rights issue.

PSqueak

Banned
Then you would suspect wrong. The posters you quoted are being presumptuous. Aside from surrounding himself with the likes of Pence, Bannon, and Blackwell, Trump has also pledged to sign the First Amendment Defense Act.

I keep forgetting that is a thing because it's just so astoundingly unconstitutional sounding, at least from a foreign perspective given that america is supposed to be one of the "separation of church and state" countries.

digdug2k

I honestly see a shit ton of LGBT people dropping protests if that's the case.
I don't really. The LGBT community wants equality. They've shown (with, for instance, businesses trying to opt out of serving them, or with transgender issues) that they aren't going to shut up until they all have it. The fact that there are people in positions of power that he's appointed who treat them like shit, even if those people do nothing, is enough to keep them loud and active for the next decade.

teiresias

Was frustrating to hear my dad say "what do lgbt people have to fear? States can still decide to have same sex marriage"

The issue with a lot of these people is they can't relate and don't see it as rights that are being infringed upon. They consider them either more minor things that isn't a big deal if you have to move states to do or super huge things that our society has to determine is no good

These same people that don't think it's a big deal to move in order to get married balk at the idea that they might have to leave their dying one road town in the middle of BFE in order to find a job in the modern world.

That's why I only mentioned abortion.

They share that they're both the type of things states can't opt out on just because the majority in a state are racist/pro-lifers/whatevers etc.

The only thing Roe v Wade gave states the option to opt-in/out of was fetal viability limit (the actual limit-time wasn't up for a vote though of course).

By recollection...too lazy to look up

Ginsburg, liberal
Stevens, liberal
Thomas, conservative

Are the oldest 3 and most likely to die, retire.

It is already going to be a 5-4 court...could be 7-2 soon enough.

Yup. We lost the SCOTUS for at least 10-20 years. But hey on the bright side...the swamp has been drained...and replaced with a new swamp!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom