• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mexico's Supreme Court legalizes cannabis for recreational use

badblue

Link
MEXICO CITY, Oct. 31 (UPI) -- Drug policy reformers claimed victory in Mexico City Wednesday after the country's Supreme Court handed down two rulings legalizing cannabis for all forms of non-commercial adult use.

[...]The rulings come after years of strategic litigation by Mexican drug policy activists starting in 2015. Unlike the United States, Mexican federal law requires five consecutive rulings on the same issue and in the same direction to create jurisprudence eventually declaring a law unconstitutional.

The next step toward legalization of cannabis for non-commercial purposes is that the Supreme Court must inform Mexico's Congress within 90 days that prohibiting adult use is unconstitutional. Congress then has to reform the laws the court found unconstitutional. If Congress does not act, every adult prosecuted for using marijuana can also apply for protection from the judicial system.
"The rulings create jurisprudence but they do not in themselves amount to changes in legislation," Enciso said. "Even so they are very important not just for Mexico but for the United States."

"When Congress declares marijuana prohibition unconstitutional in Mexico," the drug policy researcher said, "the federal government of the United States will be the only prohibitionist jurisdiction left in North America. Canada now has legal marijuana. More than 30 states in the U.S. have some form of marijuana legalization. And now with Mexico legalizing consumption and production, the only drug warriors remaining in North America are President Donald Trump and Attorney General Jeff Sessions."

In both cases decided Wednesday the Supreme Court's justices ruled 4-1 in favor of granting adults the right to use marijuana for non-commercial purposes. The one justice who ruled against the plaintiffs argued adult use must not infringe upon the rights of others.

USA maybe you will see some federally legal marijuana next? You guys are kind off the odd man out now on this continent.

great news! the more legal mj for everyone the better.

that said, i could easily see the US be an asshat and double down against it! hah! ;_____;

I imagine it'll be unavoidable in the coming presidential elections. I wonder if they'll hold off until every/almost every state legalizes it, before going national.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Good news. I wonder if this will have any effect on Mexico's cartel violence?

Gander

Banned
Well its all about the money. Cigarette companies lobby against legalization because if you start growing your own weed you won't be buying from them.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
As an American, I will be curious to see if this has a positive effect on their obesity.

Mexicans and Americans are both obese and drink their fair share of alcohol. So if there's an alternative which doesn't enlarge your gut (muchies aside) it might yield surprising results.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Congrats to Mexico. To be honest, I am surprised this was ever illegal there in the first place. Isn't it from Mexico that the USA imported the habit?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
How was this not already legal down there? Isn’t Mexico like notorious for drugs?

Mexico is notorious for getting potheads weed in the US. Also human trafficking ^^.

Not any more. The biggest drug coming out of Mexico these days is methamphetamine. They do not have the patience to grow pot that is on par with the new standard of a modern society that is so used to good stuff on a consistent basis.
Dirt Weed or poorly grown weed was what they used to ship or smuggle here and I am glad we did something about it by decriminalizing it in California.

Now, pot prices have gone down significantly while the quality skyrocketed in the same vein.

Sannakji

Banned
Should happen everywhere. And decriminalization for possession of other drugs while we're at it. The stats don't lie.

cryptoadam

Banned
Welcome to the party Mexico. Just don't be like Canada and run out of stock a week into it :).

USA is sandwhiched between 2 countries where weed is legal. Billions of dollars that American's will be losing out on. Do American's want to be a 3rd world country when it comes to marijuana?

I imagine it'll be unavoidable in the coming presidential elections. I wonder if they'll hold off until every/almost every state legalizes it, before going national.

I think the administration will push for a repeal of federal medical prohibitions. The DEA will lower from category 1. But he will leave "recreational up to the states".

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Welcome to the party Mexico. Just don't be like Canada and run out of stock a week into it :).

USA is sandwhiched between 2 countries where weed is legal. Billions of dollars that American's will be losing out on. Do American's want to be a 3rd world country when it comes to marijuana?

Canada did this too? WOW!

mckmas8808

Just recently Canada legalized marijuana!

Oh wow! Then America is coming up next after the 2020 elections. Either way I see it getting legalized nationally eventually, but if Trump loses I see it being legalized in 2021 in the first 100 days of a DEM president winning.

lil puff

Can't wait to hear our Orange Idiot on this one.

"They're bringing rapists, middle easterners, they are bringing marijunana, can you believe this? They are invading our country with drugs. I am adding 10000 more troops to stop the weed"

cryptoadam

Banned
Oh wow! Then America is coming up next after the 2020 elections. Either way I see it getting legalized nationally eventually, but if Trump loses I see it being legalized in 2021 in the first 100 days of a DEM president winning.

Trump did say he wants to legalize it federally for medical purposes.

No way the US can keep its head buried in the sand while its two neighbors both are making money hand over fist on legal weed.

Madonis

I have zero personal interest in any of these drugs, but this is good. Too bad the rest of the drug war seems to still continue unchanged.

It's a failed policy, whether we're talking about cannabis or any other substances. Legalization across the board, with heavy regulation, is what must be done, but it's only happening slowly and selectively.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I have zero personal interest in any of these drugs, but this is good. Too bad the rest of the drug war seems to still continue unchanged.

It's a failed policy, whether we're talking about cannabis or any other substances. Legalization across the board, with heavy regulation, is what must be done, but it's only happening slowly and selectively.

No the drug war has ended a few years ago. America is just ending it slowly.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
No the drug war has ended a few years ago. America is just ending it slowly.

The drug war needs to continue. Cannabis killed my mother. Coke raped my sister. Crack called me a baby.

It needs to end. We can't let this cycle of abuse continue any longer.

mckmas8808

I disagree about the current stage of affairs, all things considered, but I hope you will be right in the long term.

I'm not sure how old you are, but the Drug war was at an all-time high in the 1990s. Compare today to like 1993.....my goodness have much have things changed when it comes to the drug war.

cryptoadam

Banned
I'm not sure how old you are, but the Drug war was at an all-time high in the 1990s. Compare today to like 1993.....my goodness have much have things changed when it comes to the drug war.

Who can forget the all time classic this is you brain on drugs adds. Ya compare weed in the 90's to today and its a world of difference.

Madonis

Drugs can kill people. There's no lie in that, but drug prohibition has killed and harmed even more folks.

Take a step back to study the history of alcohol prohibition and you can see that never worked either.

I may not have been clear enough. I am considering the international perspective, including not only the United States but also Mexico as well as countries that have been affected by the same policies (including, for instance, the UN Convention from 1961, when the U.S. and others pushed for strict restrictions).

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I may not have been clear enough. I am considering the international perspective, including not only the United States but also Mexico as well as countries that have been affected by the same policies (including, for instance, the UN Convention from 1961, when the U.S. and others pushed for strict restrictions).

Oh! Yeah I have no idea from that perspective. I'm curious though. I'll be mindful of what other countries are doing from here on out.

Top Bottom