• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Returns: New Previews and Trailer (10/28)

Easy_D said:
Or, you know, hold the button?

Roll, Ground pound and blow are deliberate actions, they aren't modifiers like the run button. It probably wouldn't feel right to hold the button down. I dunno, I would have to think that Retro has tested everything, and decided this was the best course of action. They don't come up with the controls in five seconds, they put a lot of thought into it.

redbarchetta said:
I didn't have any problems with it. But then again, I never had any major problems in the original either, short of the occasionally animal buddy/underwater sequence.

Sorry, "loose" was the wrong way to describe the control in the original DKC trilogy. I guess "touchy" would be more apt. It was actually the opposite of loose. It was very responsive, but I found it too touchy, and hard to make small movements in comparison to say a Mario game.

And I did find the collision detection tough to judge in those old games. Sometimes you'd think you landed on an enemy, but you ended up dying because you apparently hit him on the side.

EzLink

Banned
Dawkins said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRpUwo4fSOM&feature=player_embedded

This looks awesome!
Hopefully Retro Studios are able to nail the essence of a J'n'R in the tradition of the Mario games and other arcade-style Jump and Runs and the new Donkey Kong won't turn out to be another Shake Dimension, Epic Yarn style of search/collect/experience style game.

Just finished watching this. Hype through the roof. In fact I may go home from school this weekend now just so I can try and blaze through the first 3 again before this one hits :D

I love how they said the collectibles feel meaningful and worthwhile. I hope there is some epic shit that rivals DKC2's Lost World

Seda

Updated OP with relevant vids and previews and links to the other threads, to have them all in one place.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
mjc said:
I'm now watching DKC2 levels on youtube. Sooooooooooooooooo hyped for this.

Why watching youtube videos when you could play it on the Virtual Console?

Top Bottom