• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze JP website opens, soundtrack excerpts

rawktapus

No, he said he wanted to but never got around to it. He raves about Rayman Origins when he gets frustrated though and says he played a lot of that game (which I admit I haven't played much), but that had some difficulty to it, right?

Edit: what the xtortionist said. He blames the design of the game instead of himself.

It had some moment, but overall, Rayman Origins was pretty easy. I'd say even easier than the New Super Mario Bros games. It was only the Land of the Livid Dead that could get tough.

Legends was even easier than Origins, too.

K' Dash

No, he said he wanted to but never got around to it. He raves about Rayman Origins when he gets frustrated though and says he played a lot of that game (which I admit I haven't played much), but that had some difficulty to it, right?

Edit: what the xtortionist said. He blames the design of the game instead of himself.

Origins was easy as hell, BUT, the dude played DKC3,that game is not a walk in the park, even less if you want the 103%

Maybe he is just used to the dumbing down of games over the years, excesive hand holding, etc.

Smellycat

watch this video from about 4:18:00 onwards and you will see

it's too hard for casuals

Omg when he finds out about the "stomp jump"
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
That level (at 4:18:00-ish) doesn't look particularly hard by DKCR standards. It's funny to watch him play, but super annoying to listen to him whine about how every little obstacle is unfair somehow.

The next level is about as bad. I can't believe I watched as much of that as I did.

pa22word

Btw guys it looks like that gamespot 5/10 review score leak was real. The gamespot ticker on the game's board over on gamefaqs lists it, and considering the same company owns both sites...

inopedes

Banned
Gamecritics - 'My highest possible praise goes out to Shinji Mikami and Platinum Games, and my sympathies go out to every third-person shooter that comes after Vanquish-it's an impossible act to follow'

Destructoid - 'Vanquish is a tepid and tedious game that simply doesn't deserve your cash'

Reviews eh?

Rehynn

Destructoid - 'Vanquish is a tepid and tedious game that simply doesn't deserve your cash'

I had to Google this to make sure you weren't making it up. Holy shit. Sterling just seems like an even bigger joke to me now.

Not to derail the thread, but Vanquish is probably the most advanced TPS as far as gameplay mechanics, and certainly stands tall above the Uncharted series and Last of Us in this regard. Still, it's OK to give it a 5 and TLOU a 10, just don't pretend that it's about the gameplay.

Rehynn

I wonder if he realized that there's a visual cue telling you when that blade is going to come down.

Nah, it's "all memorization", unlike Rayman, where you can just run through the whole thing if you're good enough;)

Wonder if he played DKCR and saw that you can actually do just that if you're very good.

flattie

Loving the trailer music that's been doing the rounds for this. Is it the main theme? Does a fantastic job of setting the tone and pushing up the hype levels.

It might not be the game I personally wanted (or, indeed, want) from Retro, but by god I'm itching to get my grubby mits on it nonetheless.

Nah, it's "all memorization", unlike Rayman, where you can just run through the whole thing if you're good enough;)

Wonder if he played DKCR and saw that you can actually do just that if you're very good.

Gah, infuriating. Blame the game for being too difficult when you're sitting on ~270 banana coins and still not using them to buy items from Funky. Makes sense.

Sendou

I'm thinking he maybe shouldn't check out the leaderboard videos around the top if he wants to keep up the illusion that it's the game's fault.

Subaru

At first I was getting annoyed seeing this terrible guy playing it, but now it's just fun to see he losing his nerves!
C'mon, it's 2014, he is a "game journalist" and he still doesn't know how he can jump straight to avoid being pushed by a threadmill.

Also, when he complains that DK doesn't jump when he wants, I guess he doesn't get it that he is "floating" with Dixie and he isn't on the floor yet.

Feindflug

Watching the Kotaku reviewer's stream of the game, and he seems to absolutely hate it so far.

http://www.twitch.tv/biggestinjapan/b/503438141

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKaM9pPwZmM

Watched some of it and he's constantly whining about the game being unfair, how the controls suck, how this should've been a 3DS game (depth perception!) e.t.c.

If this is an indication then the reviewers will rip this game apart.

Oh well, game looks amazing to me and I can't wait to play it.

maxcriden

After beating Zelda 2 I'm ready for anything.

It'd be a shame if this game gets downrated for being hard. DKCR was pretty tough, but it wasn't unfair. I know some people hate Rocket and Mine Cart levels, but they almost never throw cheap stuff at you (I'm looking at you giant bat that shoots lasers).

That bat was so tricky. Fair, but really hard. The hit box for his laser attack was also kind of bigger than it seemed to be. Amazing level, though.

Top Bottom