• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze: Review Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 125677
  • Start date

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I just fished the first Returns out of a bargain bin. I was so not in the mood to play it when it was new. But to my surprise Retro made of the best ever platformers!

I am definitely happy to hear the sequel is up to standard and I'll definitely pick it up when I can.

Vinc

I just fished the first Returns out of a bargain bin. I was so not in the mood to play it when it was new. But to my surprise Retro made of the best ever platformers!

I am definitely happy to hear the sequel is up to standard and I'll definitely pick it up when I can.

It's as big a jump as going from DKC1 to DKC2, it's an incredible improvement in every way over Returns, as far as I'm concerned.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
It's as big a jump as going from DKC1 to DKC2, it's an incredible improvement in every way over Returns, as far as I'm concerned.
That's awesome. I also hadn't gotten the memo that DKCR >> DKC trilogy.

Only thing I think you could remotely argue DKCR handled better than DKCTF was its hard mode (DK-only and reversed is more exciting than any Kong Dixie and regular levels, though it's the only way to play as the non-DK characters outside of multi I guess) and your mileage may vary on how the new swimming mechanics are. Personally I was glad it was back and think Retro hit a really close balance between Origins/Legends' fast paced underwater levels and Rare's slower but atmospheric ones.

Everything else Tropical Freeze easily beats Returns.

Only thing I think you could remotely argue DKCR handled better than DKCTF was its hard mode (DK-only and reversed is more exciting than any Kong Dixie and regular levels, though it's the only way to play as the non-DK characters outside of multi I guess) and your mileage may vary on how the new swimming mechanics are. Personally I was glad it was back and think Retro hit a really close balance between Origins/Legends' fast paced underwater levels and Rare's slower but atmospheric ones.

Everything else Tropical Freeze easily beats Returns.

Matter of opinion. I thought the higher difficulty in Returns allowed for crazier and better level design. There were also WAY more minecart levels, which for me was a huge plus. There were also more levels. Tropical Freeze had better variety, boss battles, and audiovisuals though.

UrbanRats

I skipped Returns, maybe i'll give Tropical Freeze a shot.
I like platformers, but the controls in New Super Mario Bros Wii really put me off on the 2.5 thing, they felt so laggy (i don't mind them in 3d Mario games, though).

Matter of opinion. I thought the higher difficulty in Returns allowed for crazier and better level design. There were also WAY more minecart levels, which for me was a huge plus. There were also more levels. Tropical Freeze had better variety, boss battles, and audiovisuals though.
Personally I feel Returns' overused its minecart levels to the point where they became less of a treat and more of a hassle. The earlier DKC's and TF seemed more aware that you should use them sparingly, while Returns dedicated an entire world to them which takes away from their appeal IMO. The insta-death parts the original DKCR (I believe DKCR3D fixes this to an extent like TF?) with the minecart and rocket levels was also pretty crap. Goes without saying making waggle-to-roll optional was a vastly better decision in TF as well and instantly makes it feel 'tighter'.

Freeze also has significantly larger levels at times that are still built around speed-running, so I feel from a content-perspective the two games are still roughly even in the amount of levels you have, even if Returns literally has more (which includes way more Rocket Barrel levels which are bleh in both games). Returns having two more worlds would be a bigger deal if it didn't feel like each world in TF was as locked to a particular theme as they are in Returns either.

Regardless I love both games, but Freeze just comes out on top for me. If you at least liked one I couldn't see why you wouldn't like the other.

I skipped Returns, maybe i'll give Tropical Freeze a shot.
I like platformers, but the controls in New Super Mario Bros Wii really put me off on the 2.5 thing, they felt so laggy (i don't mind them in 3d Mario games, though).
The NSMB games have vastly different physics to Retro's DKC games. That being said, there's way more weight to the Kongs than there is in Mario, and rather than having a run button a lot of the momentum behind levels is based on how you chain together roll-jumping and bopping on enemies, which might mean if you felt NSMB was 'laggy' than I'm not entirely sure DKCR/TF is going to be your cup of tea either.

What about when completing the collectibles/any bonus content?

Honestly the last few worlds are hard as balls so I didn't try for the unlockable levels as opposed to Returns, which I thought had a more balanced difficulty. Any way you shake it, the game is shorter than Returns, by a two whole worlds.

UrbanRats

The NSMB games have vastly different physics to Retro's DKC games. That being said, there's way more weight to the Kongs than their is in Mario, and rather than having a run button a lot of the momentum behind levels is based on how you chain together roll-jumping and bopping on enemies, which might mean if you felt NSMB was 'laggy' than I'm not entirely sure DKCR/TF is going to be your cup of tea either.

I played DKC(1 through 3) as a kid, and liked them (though as a kid i loved music and presentation mostly), i guess it makes sense for that game to be slower, whereas when i play as Mario in 2d, my brain has that SMB3/SMW expectation of very responsive controls, and seeing Mario slide in place and have that sort of momentum, creates a disconnect.

I wish there was a demo, really.

Personally I feel Returns' overused its minecart levels to the point where they became less of a treat and more of a hassle. The earlier DKC's and TF seemed more aware that you should use them sparingly, while Returns dedicated an entire world to them which takes away from their appeal IMO. The insta-death parts the original DKCR (I believe DKCR3D fixes this to an extent like TF?) with the minecart and rocket levels was also pretty crap. Goes without saying making waggle-to-roll optional was a vastly better decision in TF as well and instantly makes it feel 'tighter'.

Freeze also has significantly larger levels at times that are still built around speed-running, so I feel from a content-perspective the two games are still roughly even in the amount of levels you have, even if Returns literally has more (which includes way more Rocket Barrel levels which are bleh in both games). Returns having two more worlds would be a bigger deal if it didn't feel like each world in TF was as locked to a particular theme as they are in Returns either.

Regardless I love both games, but Freeze just comes out on top for me. If you at least liked one I couldn't see why you wouldn't like the other.

You could argue that same thing against Sea Breeze Cove in Tropical Freeze, that it made swimming more of a hassle rather than a treat. And it sticks out even more in Tropical Freeze since it only has six worlds. Personally, I didn't get burned out on anything, whether it's swimming, minecarts, or rocketbarrels, but I can see how some people would. But yes, the amount of content is about even... 72 levels vs 63. Tropical Freeze's average level was larger but not by THAT much... I played them back to back recently to see how they compare.

Honestly the last few worlds are hard as balls so I didn't try for the unlockable levels as opposed to Returns, which I thought had a more balanced difficulty. Any way you shake it, the game is shorter than Returns, by a two whole worlds.

No, it is actually very close. There are more levels per world in Tropical Freeze and levels are longer overall.

You could argue that same thing against Sea Breeze Cove in Tropical Freeze, that it made swimming more of a hassle rather than a treat. And it sticks out even more in Tropical Freeze since it only has six worlds. Personally, I didn't get burned out on anything, whether it's swimming, minecarts, or rocketbarrels, but I can see how some people would. But yes, the amount of content is about even... 72 levels vs 63. Tropical Freeze's average level was larger but not by THAT much... I played them back to back recently to see how they compare.

I think it's pretty remarkable they managed 63 levels when so many are filled to the brim with unique and detailed assets. Especially transitioning to an HD console.

I played DKC(1 through 3) as a kid, and liked them (though as a kid i loved music and presentation mostly), i guess it makes sense for that game to be slower, whereas when i play as Mario in 2d, my brain has that SMB3/SMW expectation of very responsive controls, and seeing Mario slide in place and have that sort of momentum, creates a disconnect.
Atmosphere/music wise Tropical Freeze is definitely closer to the older DKC's than DKCR was; David Wise was put back in charge of the soundtrack and does an excellent job (though his style changes every world, so it's not all going to sound like DKC/DKC2's more consistent OST's) and the Snowmads are a lot closer in style to the Kremlings (especially their pirate theme in DKC2) than the tiki's were. Still has Retro's cartoonier style to Rare's, but I feel there's still a good number of areas that evoke the older game's darker presentation. In that regard I think you'd really like DKCTF at least!

jb1234

I died more in Returns, honestly. Especially in that wretched mine cart world. TF was tough at times but mostly just in the last world and the temples.

Top Bottom