• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Don't wait for Apollo: Nokia Lumia 900 w/2 yr contract FREE (ATT) or $49 (Wal-Mart)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tempting because it's either free or a penny. I wasn't interested before because my current phone works fine, and this isn't a major upgrade outside of LTE. That being said free makes it tough to pass on.

Still think I'll wait for Apollo though. If you need a new phone on Att this is a steal for the price of free or a penny. Nothing else out comes even remotely close.

fat pat

my jump from android to wp7 was a bit too far a downgrade. Now that im an iphone user, i kind of wish i wouldve stayed with WP7. I had the htc trophy, and part of my biggest problem with it was the mediocre hardware.

This phone looks glorious, and i miss the wp7 keyboard more than anything. the BEST mobile keyboard available.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
jesus. this. this is one of the best looking phones i have ever seen!!! can you hack it to run android?

Maybe, but that could take months. Plus who knows how well it would even run, and Nokia isn't exactly going to give driver info out for hackers. WP would run a shit ton better on the phone anyways.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
The Nokia phone and Apollo update look hot, but I won't be buying another WP7 phone after my 1+ year experience with my current one.

Zabka

I was just about ready to finalize my order when I saw that AT&T doesn't offer any messaging plans besides a $20 unlimited plan now? That's fucking ridiculous. I don't text much but I'll be god damned if I'm paying an extra $240 a year or 20 cents a text.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Thats a sexy ass phone. Is there a way to flash it so that it would work with t-mobile?

Pein

Banned
I was just about ready to finalize my order when I saw that AT&T doesn't offer any messaging plans besides a $20 unlimited plan now? That's fucking ridiculous. I don't text much but I'll be god damned if I'm paying an extra $240 a year or 20 cents a text.

I used to have the 200 texts a months for $5 then I switched because on a family plan unlimited makes sense. But yeah ATT are fucking thieves for that shit.

Bullza2o

I found out that I can't upgrade my phone until October 2012. I have a Samsung Focus. I guess I'll just wait for WP8.

RBH

My contract actually runs out tomorrow, but I still want to wait to see what the next iPhone is like.

Some reviews:

Engadget

In that context, the Lumia 900 comes off as yet another decent offering on AT&T's increasingly bountiful LTE lineup. Dispense of Espoo's rose-colored glasses and the case for this middle of the road Lumia becomes somewhat clearer. Filter out the marketing noise and focus on its superb performance as a reliable point-and-shoot and now you've got a winner. Toss in those considerable network speeds and default access to Internet Sharing and, suddenly, it's a shining star. Sprinkle all of that with an attractive polycarbonate case, a saturated and legible display and the magic eraser of its $99 on two-year contract pricing and, ipso facto, you've got a no-brainer purchase staring you in the face. Does the Lumia 900 fail to find its place amongst other smartphone hulks? Well, yes. But again, it's playing in a league of Windows Phone's single-core own. With the careful cultivation of a cultish, fashion-conscious consumer following, however, this could very well be Nokia's greatest hit.

Gizmodo

Should I Buy It?

Probably—it's only $100, or zero dollars if you're a new AT&T subscriber, which you might be. Either way, it's paltry cover fee to enter the Nokia LTE Windows Phone beauty pageant. It's so quick and elegant. Sure, the apps could be better, and there are occasional imaging inaccuracies and overblown colors. Let them overblow. You're holding a pixel feat.

Anandtech

For the first time in a while, I'm genuinely excited by a new Windows Phone. With the Lumia 900, it seems as though some of Nokia's rhetoric about being the first OEM to put its best hardware and design forward with the platform is starting to ring true. Similar to our take on the first members of the Lumia family, the 900 is easily the best Windows Phone on the market today.

The $99 launch price is absolutely crazy and very welcome for a flagship phone, particularly one with such high build quality and camera standards. Not only does this obviate other Windows Phones, but it increases competitive pressure on Apple as well as Android smartphone providers. I don't know that there's still a lot of iPhone/Windows Phone cross shopping, but a trend towards even cheaper on-contract prices for high-end smartphones is absolutely welcome.

gdgt

With the Lumia 900, a Windows Phone is finally worthy of gdgt recommendation. Here's why.
We've been debating for months: at what point will there be a gdgt recommended Windows Phone? Well, today we finally have an answer to that question: the Lumia 900 is a worthy competitor to our other gdgt recommended smartphones (the iPhone 4S and Galaxy Nexus), the first Windows Phone device to receive our recommendation -- an designation we give to less than half of 1% of the products on gdgt. Here's the deal.

Ars technica

As a smartphone, the Lumia 900 is more than competent, and a better choice than many Android phones out there for the same price (if you aren't tied to the ecosystem). On design, it certainly wins against most Android phones, even higher-end models, and it bests many on features.

If you don't need to take cost into account and are a power user looking for the best phone in terms of performance and design, you're probably going to walk on from the Lumia 900 to greener iOS and Android pastures. Not because of the interface subtlety—interface design isn't a problem for smartphone vets, and there's not much they won't be able to figure out by trial and error. Information density can be overlooked, but not as easily. A few fixes in Windows Phone could go a long way to bringing it up to par with iOS and Android in that respect. As of right now, it's still a little too much form over function to beat them at the game they invented.

The Verge

In some ways, I feel like I'm reviewing a webOS device again (but with much, much nicer hardware). There are all these wonderful ideas at play, but it's impossible to look past the nagging bugs and missing features.

Of course, there are users out there that will embrace this phone. It is generally easy and pleasant to use, and the low price point, coupled with the beautiful hardware and solid LTE service could be persuasive. But for me and most of the people I know, there's still something missing here, and until Microsoft and Nokia figure out what that is, Windows Phone will continue to struggle upstream.

Best review probably comes from Chicago Sun-Times, which is as much about the OS as it is the 900:

I spent a lot of time here talking about Windows Phone’s basic design philosophy because it represents a unique approach to a mobile phone OS. And that’s the central point in any argument about making the Nokia Lumia 900 -- or any other Windows Phone -- a top-tier choice.

You need to appreciate Windows Phone as a terrific solution to inadequacies that Microsoft saw in existing phones. You can’t really put Windows Phone and another OS into a table of features and fill the grid with green checkmarks and red crosses. That approach kind of works when you compare iOS to Android; you’re comparing NFL football to Canadian league football. Comparing Windows Phone to iOS is like comparing baseball to hockey. You can’t possibly determine that one is better than the other. You can only figure out which of these appeals to you, personally. You’re the person who’s going to be using it. If Windows Phone is the right phone for you, what does it matter that it isn’t the right phone for other people?

Every consumer -- even iPhone and Android buyers -- gives up something he or she wants because it means they’ll get something that they want even more. iPhone users give up a lot of freedom. Android users give up security and consistency. A Windows Phone user has to willfully reject the benefits of a fully-mature OS with more features and more powerful apps.

But if he or she is OK with that, they’ll wind up with the simplest, cleanest, calmest, and most elegant smartphone-class OS on the market. For the sort of user for whom a phone is simply an accessory to life and is neither the lens through which life is experienced nor the sword with which their daily battles are fought, the Lumia 900 and Windows Phone are worth wanting.

Basically, if you didn't like the WP OS before, you're still not going to like it, as it's still immature compared to iOS/Android in a lot of ways. Most knocks that I've read against the Lumia 900 are its average camera and poor speakers/volume. Otherwise, easily the best WP and in the same class (in some, but not all ways) as the iPhone 4 and best Android phones.

thirty

Banned
sold out online?
____
AT&T – Wireless Order Status Update

Thank you for your recent order, we value and appreciate your business!
The items in your order are currently out of stock and will be shipped when inventory becomes
available. When the items in your order ship, we’ll send you an email with the ship tracking number(s).
Order Number: K006-O-xxxxx
Check Order Status or call (877) 782-8870

Lol at people asking for android on it. I never realized people actilually like android. It was always the "whatevs every phone has it"-option to me, like symbian was before but never desirable.

krae_man

I herd the 710 is coming to Wind this month. I can't wait. Would love to upgrade my Nokia 500. The 8gb of memory is a bit of a downer but i'll manage.

gl to all those buying into the ecosystem. I hope it has a brighter future than it has had to present.

Is it still growing at a faster rate than Android's marketplace did? I know it was a while back.

MS is in this for the long run. There are some key apps missing, but it's exaggerated for most users.

Darryl

Banned
this is the sexiest phone i've ever seen

doubt i'll ever get one though, i spend too much time on the internet as it is, not sure if i really want a smartphone

SyNapSe

Cyan looks so good. If my contract were up I'd probably get this over another Android phone. I have a friend with a Samsung Focus and I really like the WP 7 experience.

I don't play games on my phone ever really so the lack of uber hardware doesn't make much of a difference to me. I didn't realize WP8 marketplace was going to be the same as the Windows 8 market. That thing is going to be huge within a few months of Windows 8 launching.

Tapiozona

Banned
So I went and checked out the 900 at the AT&T store and I'm very disappointed in what I saw. I've waited so long for this phone and had such enormous hype that finally seeing it left me rather sad. The phone is huge. Its bigger than my titan and weighs just as much except the screen is smaller. The side buttons are silver on the black phone and look cheap and plastic. The silver strip of metal which surrounds the lens scratches horribly. Both employee phones I saw had the metal scratched almost completely off. Not sure if it's even metal. Otherwise the phone was very brickish and seemed overly fat in the middle of the device which distracted from the beautiful ends of the phone.

Damnit Nokia. I'm still trading my titan in for your flagship but I wish the phone met my lofty expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom