• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (2016) free trial coming to PS4/XBO/PC for this week only

Brudinho

Banned
I don´t really understand why they take the effort to make a demo and offer it for only one week!?

Seems like it´s up on XBL, called "Doom Demo"

komplanen

I don´t really understand why they take the effort to make a demo and offer it for only one week!?

Seems like it´s up on XBL, called "Doom Demo"

To condense all the people interested in it together, so the current E3 hulabaloo gets a little free advertisement. Instead of "do it whenever" and have people and the chatter spread too thin.

tmespe

To condense all the people interested in it together, so the current E3 hulabaloo gets a little free advertisement. Instead of "do it whenever" and have people and the chatter spread too thin.

Yeah. Creating "limited supply" can increase the incentive to download and play it, since it will be gone after this week. They can always put the demo up again after a month or two, so doesn't really hurt them.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So had to use the web PSN store as it wasn't showing on the console store.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Downloaded it, played it and it run silky smooth on my computer. That GTX 1080 is a beast :)

I'll definitely buy it once it hits the €20 mark. I could buy it now, but, honestly, I have a lot on my plate, between Arkham Knight, The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine and Fallout 4.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Looks great but instantly sends my PS4 into jet engine mode

Tainted

The first level from Doom II is also unlockable in the demo...just need to pull a secret lever towards the end of the demo level. Once unlocked in the game, you can play it from the main menu

Nice they left that in for the demo

McNum

Been meaning to give this game a try, and yeah, the demo feels kind of like Doom. Fast movement, focus on dodging and switching weapons, and areas with a lot of fodder enemies, too. The level even has some secret nooks and crannies. I'd buy it, but I don't buy Steam games in June... Even though I doubt Doom will see a big discount, patience is key.

Speaking of keys, I just found it adorable that one of the objectives was "Find the blue keycard". Good old Doom there.

The game ran well on my PC with one extremely weird exceptions. The intro logos ran horribly, stuttering all over the place. But as soon as the game was running, it was silky smooth. I wonder what that's all about.

Kudo

Shortest demo experience I've had.
Intros playing at 1 fps was a good start, after 5 minutes of waiting for them to be over I get to settings turn resolution 1440p and my monitor starts blinking black.
Restart the game seems to fix that, advanced settings were defaulted to Medium, so maybe I'm finally ready to play?
Turn on game and it's jumping around 30-40fps like no tomorrow, if there's fire or holograms it goes under 20. Turn advanced settings to low and restart level, no difference.
Uninstall the demo.

Apparently i7-6700k/GTX 780 is not good match with the game.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Well, it's official. My PC can't run this game.

The odd thing is that turning down some settings somehow made the game perform worse, which I don't get, but whatever. Upgrade time I guess.

Maxey

Guys, I've made a huge mistake...

I played the demo and now I need to get the full version. Except I don't have any money to buy it. FUUUUUUCK!

:(

Ceebs

Okay, that was badass. Paid no attention to this game whatsoever until now. It really did play how you would want a modern Doom to play. Will pick this up when I catch it on sale.

Ran at 3440x1440 on ultra like a charm too.

GeeTeeCee

Great, I'm looking forward to playing the single player. Ten minutes of the multiplayer beta was enough to completely sour me on DOOM entirely, until the reviews came out saying the single player is great, but by that point I'd already committed my money elsewhere.

I'm still annoyed by that multiplayer beta. Terrible way to market what is apparently a superb (solo) game.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
downloaded just now and about to play. i was leaning towards getting it on PS4 but if my PC can handle it at 1080p 60fps with decent settings then i'll just buy it for that.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Loved it, I'll buy it as soon as it has a good sale on PC.

80 - 125fps on max settings @ 1080p. Looks great and runs like an absolute dream, I can't wait to see more games running on this engine because it's incredible.

3570k @ 4GHz, GTX 970, 8GB DDR3, SSD, Win10

wwm0nkey

Loved it, I'll buy it as soon as it has a good sale on PC.

80 - 125fps on max settings @ 1080p. Looks great and runs like an absolute dream, I can't wait to see more games running on this engine because it's incredible.

3570k @ 4GHz, GTX 970, 8GB DDR3, SSD, Win10

its $34 on some places

Theodoricos

Heh, the demo also features Doom II's Entryway as a secret unlockable level. Glad they left that in too.

But yeah, this demo has me pumped for whenever I get the real game. It was thoroughly enjoyable.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
its $34 on some places

I'm waiting for it to hit around £20, I would be buying it solely for the campaign so I'm happy to wait for a better price. At least now I know it's a good game that runs perfectly.

RankFTW

Unconfirmed Member
Well, it's official. My PC can't run this game.

The odd thing is that turning down some settings somehow made the game perform worse, which I don't get, but whatever. Upgrade time I guess.

Probably turning graphics down put more strain on your CPU or vice versa.

Well it answered my question if my Alienware alpha could run it.

200w.gif

laxu

Nice to see a demo for once. Ran gloriously on my system. 1440p, 120+ fps with ultra details and max AA in ULMB mode.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'll definitely try it out. It's on my list, but I'm waiting until I can clear more games out of my backlog. I'm currently working on The Witcher 3.

Upinsmoke

I might try this. Ideally on PC but not sure it's worth it with my 660ti. Probably PS4 then, hate controller for these types of games though.

jem0208

That was really underwhelming...

Neither the shotgun nor the pistol felt particularly great, the level design seemed to boil down to "kill everyone in this arena to unlock the doors" and the enemies weren't particularly exciting.

I know this obviously isn't a great representation of the whole game but it definitely hasn't helped convince me to play it...

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping to be able to run this under the Microsoft Basic Render Drive, but all I get is this error message:

errorxvahm.png

Now, running it under my GPU (ATI Radeon 3000 Graphics, 256 MB VRAM) is no use. Some new games (Trackmania Turbo for example) I've been able to get running under the Microsoft Basic Render Driver, but DOOM doesn't want to cooperate.

I don't care about this game looking good, I just wanted to run it.

Z3M0G

What happens after 1 week? It becomes unplayable? That may be why they aren't calling it a "Demo", if so.

Edit: Ok, download is taken down at lest.

Kuno

I played through the demo last night on PC and then on PS4. Surprisingly, the PS4 version looked pretty much equal to the PC version to my eyes. I'm sure there were differences, but nothing stood out. And I was running at all Ultra settings on PC at my monitor's refresh rate (60hz). The game was great though, definitely picking this up.

Anyone else try both versions? Am I crazy?

notBald

My i5 750/GTX 770 combo isn't quite up to the task. The game is playable, but it chugs when 3+ monsters appears. (Using default settings).

Top Bottom