• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom (2016) PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
970 GTX
3570k (OC 4.2)
16 gig RAM (1333) (I may be wrong on this)
1080p (144hz)

Ultra settings. Buttery smooth and holds probably around 75+ FPS average I would say. Is running adaptive v-sync the better option or have it turned off?

There's no need for vsync if you're running the game in a borderless window. It's nature's triple buffering.

Any advice for me right now before i start playing with my rig ?
I7 5820k
16 GB DDR4
980ti
Gsync 1440p monitor

I should fullscreen it and turn vsync off ?
Unlock the framerate or keep it 60?

LowParry

There's no need for vsync if you're running the game in a borderless window. It's nature's triple buffering.

Ah that's very true. Since I've had it off, I'd say on average 90 FPS? Game is fucking awesome. I'm not noticing any tearing either.

dogen

But the game tears like insane even in borderless.

Well, adaptive would just stay disabled because you're never hitting 144 fps. Regular v-sync will limit you to 144, 72, or 48 fps and so on. If there's a triple buffering option try that, as long as you don't mind a bit of occasional judder.

Rizific

hows it going for the amd cards? 390 spcifically. i played the beta and while it was pretty much a locked 60fps, i would still experience some weird judder/stutter.

Buburibon

So if I understand correctly this game has no controller vibration on pc? Is that right?

It absolutely does. Shooting, picking up items, landing after a high jump, and everything else in between produces vibrations of varying intensities.

I am using an Xbox One controller, by the way.

jediyoshi

Ah that's very true. Since I've had it off, I'd say on average 90 FPS? Game is fucking awesome. I'm not noticing any tearing either.

Definitely tears for me in borderless, only notice it during the scripted camera sequences though. Also was an issue with Wolfenstein.

hows it going for the amd cards? 390 spcifically. i played the beta and while it was pretty much a locked 60fps, i would still experience some weird judder/stutter.

just played about an hour and i have i5 2500k 3.3, 16 gb ram, r9 390. game is pretty smooth for me. it defaulted me to mostly high/ultra settings (on 1080p) but some medium. i was getting about 75+ fps in most areas. i changed ALL the settings to ultra and i was still getting the same fps.

the only thing that dropped it significantly was enabled vsync. dropped it to 30fps :(

Santar

Got a i5-4670 and a GTX 760 2GB and gotta say I'm quite disappointed with performance.
Even at 720p the game has this weird chugging or stutter effect even when it's running at around 60fps. It's like the game is loading in stuff or something. Very disappointing. Weird as the beta didn't have this.
It ruins the smooth flow of the gameplay.
Tried turning down texture page file nut no apparent effect.

Tabasco

I'm just starting up the game for the first time and it is incredibly laggy when playing the intros.

What's the fix?

Edit: Nevermind! Updated drivers and all is well!

GTX 960 4GB
i7 4790k
16GB RAM

Got everything on high pretty much.

Getting 50 to 60 fps consistently. It drops to 45fps during particle intensive situations.

Pretty nice.

Hoping Vulkan gives me at least 10 more frames.

DOOM appears to have frame pacing issues. Even when it's running at a solid 60, something feels slightly off. Love the game, though. Enjoying it a lot!

I'm really impressed at how well it runs for me in 4K. I'm getting at least 40 and usually closer to 50-60 fps on my heavily OC'd 980 Ti with the Ultra preset. I can't stand motion blur so I have it turned entirely off, everything else is maxed including the highest AA which is called like TSSA 8x or something. This game is optimized like a dream, Id really took their PC work seriously. It runs great and looks fabulous, I almost feel the crunching of skulls from these glory kills.

Santar

DOOM appears to have frame pacing issues. Even when it's running at a solid 60, something feels slightly off. Love the game, though. Enjoying it a lot!

Maybe that's what I'm experiencing? Even when the game runs at around 60fps there's this weird stutter or chugging that disrupts the smoothness of the game. Really annoying.
So infuriating that consoles don't have to deal with this. Almost makes me want to buy the ps4 version.

teokrazia

5820K@4.2 GHz
GTX 970 Twin FROZR V (365.10)
16 GB 2666 MHz
Win 10

1080, Ultra, TSAA (TX8), FoV 110.
Completed the first mission: I'm getting buttery smooth 60-110 FPS. i would say 80 of average

Rizzi

There's a room in the fourth level that straight up murders my framerate with vsync on.
It's the room with all the plants in glass. It's super weird.

Jin

Oh btw I had to exit the game and start again to get my framerate uncapped. After turning vsync off it was still cap at 60. Now it's at 80-100 :)

dogen

nyCyv1g.png

Trickster

Anyone using a 970gtx while playing at 1440p? Curious what sort of performance you are getting at whatever settings you're playing

DKo5

Respawn Entertainment
i7-5820k @ 4.1GHz
16GB DDR4
GTX 980Ti
2560x1440 144hz Acer XB270HU

This is lovely.

Ultra details, goes between 60-144fps, but with G-Sync it feels butter smooth the whole time. This is a serious PC gaming game, loving it. The visuals, music, gun play, hit feedback - its all good. Played the first SP level w/o any hiccups or problems.

I have not noticed any framepacing issues. The game is completely smooth for me and the frame time display you can activate confirms that.

I have not noticed any framepacing issues. The game is completely smooth for me and the frame time display you can activate confirms that.

Some are probably more sensitive to that kind of thing. Someone else mentioned they were probably experiencing something similar. The Steam forums are also filled with people saying similar things. It's very smooth, but there is this weird...stutter is probably the wrong word, but at times, the game feels it's running worse than the frame counter would indicate.

ISee

Got a i5-4670 and a GTX 760 2GB and gotta say I'm quite disappointed with performance.
Even at 720p the game has this weird chugging or stutter effect even when it's running at around 60fps. It's like the game is loading in stuff or something. Very disappointing. Weird as the beta didn't have this.
It ruins the smooth flow of the gameplay.
Tried turning down texture page file nut no apparent effect.

I just bought the game so I can't check how much vram it uses but your problem sounds like you're running out of vram. Try lowering the texture quality instead of resolution.

Santar

I just bought the game so I can't check how much vram it uses but your problem sounds like you're running out of vram. Try lowering the texture quality instead of resolution.

But which option does that exactly? The game doesn't have a texture quality option.
There's virtual texturing page size which I've tried turning down to medium but no noticeable difference.
There's also Resolution Scale which I have not tried messing with.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
But which option does that exactly? The game doesn't have a texture quality option.
There's virtual texturing page size which I've tried turning down to medium but no noticeable difference.

Decal quality, I assume, given that decal filtering offers options you'd associate with texture filtering. Reducing shadow quality may also notably drop VRAM usage.

2GB of Vram is simply not enough for the game. It'll run ot of it with virtual texturing page size at low and than you get a hiccup.
Lowering the resolution scale will make the game render at a lower res and than it upscales it to your native resolution. It should help lowering the memory required to run, but the image quality will be butchered.

Santar

2GB of Vram is simply not enough for the game. It'll run ot of it with virtual texturing page size at low and than you get a hiccup.
Lowering the resolution scale will make the game render at a lower res and than it upscales it to your native resolution. It should help lowering the memory required to run, but the image quality will be butchered.

I'm sorry I don't quite understand what you mean here.
The game runs even with virtual texturing page at high, though as mentioned I do get a strange stutter or chugging effect. And you're saying I should put Virtual Texturing to low and still get the hiccup? I guess I don't quite understand the advice.

Trojan X

Banned
All these 1080p talks. Where's the 1600p, 3k and 4k, baby?

Really want to play this game but with my gtx680, it seems i have to stick with 1080p for that lovely framerate... until i get the next titan.

Top Bottom