• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 BFG edition. Anyone excited for this?

I'm excited that it's gonna be the first VR-optimised game. I probably won't be playing it myself anytime soon, but it could be a significant milestone in gaming history. Or is that more a Doom 4 thing?

antitrop

Instead of listing reasons why I disagree with you I'll just leave you to this review which pretty much says exactly how I feel about Bioshock. It's an hour long review but I highly advise you watch it. Basically for me Bioshock is neither a good rpg and it's definitely not a good shooter and in it's attempts to do both it ends up being a lesser game in the end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBJUJXOxztE&feature=plcp
Ya, I have difficulty classifying BioShock as a straight-up-FPS, because it's not. It's not really even a shooter at all.

If I could make another choice it would be Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

I played it a couple years ago. It still LOOKS fine as it is. As far as the action goes....I don't think it holds up. After playing a ton of FPS games already this gen, including iD's own disappointing Rage, I'm not at all looking forward to going back to it again. I'm out on this one.

No.

In this day and age hallway shooters with monster closets are garbage and only worth renting IMO.

There are too many new and better sandbox games coming out this fall, namely Dishonored, Halo 4, Farcry 3.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I had more fun with Duke Nukem Forever in 2011 than I did with Doom 3 in 2004.

Got to the much hyped
Delta Labs
and promptly did a
tumblr_m9s06d0Ex31rbrlneo1_400.gif

Biggest waste of money ($64.64) for a videogame in my life.

Scrabble

Ya, I have difficulty classifying BioShock as a straight-up-FPS, because it's not. It's not really even a shooter at all.

If I could make another choice it would be Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

So I was right, you do like super scripted linear fps's. No wonder you don't like Crysis.

What is the price tag? Got all the Doom games already, not sure to pay more than 15$ for bunch of levels and underbarreled flashlight which you can download for free as mods.

∀ Narayan;42548579 said:
Is this going to release as a patch for those who already own the game on Steam?

Haha. No.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I have Doom 3 installed on my PC with skidmod and the wulfen texture pack but I'm still excited for this on console purely because it's running at 60fps on antiquated hardware and I want to support that triumph, I'll be grabbing a copy for ps3 day one.

KalBalboa

Banned
For $36*... I'm very tempted. I'll get two classic games and one I'm still a fan of and the whole package contributes to that slick $100/$20 deal on PSN, too.

*PS+

atomico

My interest ranges between $0 and $9.99.

I'll probably end up buying it during the eventual Steam Sale, only to yawn my way through the intro sequence and get bored with the shooting after the first area.

∀ Narayan;42548579 said:
Is this going to release as a patch for those who already own the game on Steam?

The Witcher devs have spoiled you

wizzbang

Banned
I tried Steam based Doom 3 recently just for fun because it was like 5$ and I was surprised / disapointed to find it didn't support widescreen, even with some tweaking it's not easy to get going. I admit I don't fiddle with PC's much anymore but it was relatively trickier than I'd expect.

For some reason, I could've sworn that ID patched in WS in their very latest patch - I checked and the Doom3 version on steam is one minor revision behind actually, kind of annoying.

So yeah, BFG interests me - at like 15$ not 40$ - also, I doubt I'll buy many old games on steam in the future, regardless of supporting developers :( (I got Jade Empire too and IIRC found it has issues on steam also)

SparkTR

If I decide to get an Oculus Rift I'd use this to showcase the hardware, but outside of that I lost interest in Doom 3 back in 2005.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I have Doom 3 installed on my PC with skidmod and the wulfen texture pack but I'm still excited for this on console purely because it's running at 60fps on antiquated hardware and I want to support that triumph, I'll be grabbing a copy for ps3 day one.
That seems so weird but I'm doing the same thing.

I really just want to see the game running on consoles at 60 fps and want to support that effort.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If the PC version has got top notch support for 3D then I'll definitely get this.

StuBurns

Banned
I played it on 360 a couple of days ago, it's nice to have the torch toggle, feels great too. 3D was garbage though.

bfrye26

Neo Member
Another chance to dig into Doom, Yes I am excited to give it a try. Will it be a day once purchase, probably not.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Loved doom 3. I have held off buying the steam version for a long time, but I have since lost my disc version...

Will buy PC version if it has Gamepad support and 3D support. Otherwise going with the 360 version and double dipping the steam version eventually for SKiimod.

Kinda more amped for this than anything else for the rest of the year, but what happened to the BFG enhancements coming to PC free of charge? Did I make that up? Could've sworn it was promised. Regardless, very excited to play through the game again to see what they tweaked; looking forward to the new levels.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Kinda more amped for this than anything else for the rest of the year, but what happened to the BFG enhancements coming to PC free of charge? Did I make that up? Could've sworn it was promised. Regardless, very excited to play through the game again to see what they tweaked; looking forward to the new levels.
You made that up, it was clear this wasn't going to be free from day 1.

Z_Y

So does anybody know if Doom 1/2 are on the disc or XBLA codes? Is Doom 1 still delisted?

StuBurns

Banned
What was wrong with the 3D?
Tons of cross talk, which I guess makes sense, because on the 3DS it always seems to be when bright stuff is over something black, and all of Doom 3 is that basically. The biggest issue was the laser sight actually though, it gives the impression of being a physical object in the game, it doesn't extend to hit walls, it's like someone stuck a lightsaber to the front of a rifle. And it's at some really disorienting angle.

I was disappointed because my mate was playing it too, and he said when he first tried it, someone had the 3D off, and I didn't know it was available, I'd have liked to try that.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So does anybody know if Doom 1/2 are on the disc or XBLA codes? Is Doom 1 still delisted?
Seems like they will be codes. They aren't part of the achievement list.

Does anyone else find it weird that the Lost Missions don't have any boss related achievements?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Tons of cross talk, which I guess makes sense, because on the 3DS it always seems to be when bright stuff is over something black, and all of Doom 3 is that basically. The biggest issue was the laser sight actually though, it gives the impression of being a physical object in the game, it doesn't extend to hit walls, it's like someone stuck a lightsaber to the front of a rifle. And it's at some really disorienting angle.

I was disappointed because my mate was playing it too, and he said when he first tried it, someone had the 3D off, and I didn't know it was available, I'd have liked to try that.
Ah, crosstalk?

That won't be an issue for me (using HMZ-T1).

Very curious to try it. The mix of OLED displays and no cross talk should work well.

omonimo

Banned
That seems so weird but I'm doing the same thing.

I really just want to see the game running on consoles at 60 fps and want to support that effort.

Curious to see if they solved the fps problem with ps3 hardware. Carmack said the thing was more complicated than how initially thought

Sh1ner

Looking forward to it as it is coming with my Oculus Rift. Good times.

Yes but only because it is coming free with my Occulus. I can't wait to feel like I am on Mars being hunted by demons. Yay!

Seriously though, I think it is gonna rock my socks playing it that way.

Does this make us Oculus buddies? :D

Top Bottom