• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom 3 BFG edition. Anyone excited for this?

omonimo

Banned
They do? They were always originally locked at 30-35fps, AFAIK, outside of secondary ports, anyway. XBLA versions are stuck at 30fps, which is what I assume that the ones included with BFG edition will be.

Doom 1 & 2 should be 60 fps; I remember some developer was proud of it on ps3 & I'm pretty laughed about this.

androvsky

They do? They were always originally locked at 30-35fps, AFAIK, outside of secondary ports, anyway. XBLA versions are stuck at 30fps, which is what I assume that the ones included with BFG edition will be. (What we all really need is an official Quake 1 remake at 60fps on consoles.)
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/06/22/id-software-talks-doom-3-bfg-edition-on-ps3/
PSB: How about the first two games – was anything tweaked there for PS3?
EW: They are pretty much straight ports, but I will say that they run really fast at 60 frames per second, even with four-player split screen play going on. If you’ve got a big TV that’s really going to stand out. The guys basically wrote it from scratch to get it working on PS3.
Doom 1 and 2 is all I care about. I've tried playing Doom 3 a few times, never got very far before I lost interest.

jett

D-Member
Pretty sad they can't get a PC game from 2004 to look nice on the PS3. Honestly I don't see the point of getting the console version, any machine from the last 5 years will run Doom 3 maxxed out.

I don't know why, but I really connected with Doom 3. I just really liked the world and all the story components that they revealed through the computer/audio entries. Just a wonderful atmosphere too... sign me up day 1, especially since I don't have any serviceable versions of Doom 1/2 at my disposal.

This game just gets waaaay too much hate.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm one of those sad souls that never played any of the Doom games, but I game hop all the time between games from different ages so the effects of being a 'modern gamer' playing an older game may not apply to me as much. All three Doom titles are included in this, as well as some new content so if it looks like they are the best versions of the games out there I'll dive into it. I kind of think of it like one of those HD collections that have been coming out recently, except it has a core game in focus and that game is getting new gameplay content as opposed to just an upscaled new paint. I'll wait for the verdict on how good this portmake (as I call it) is.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
A lazy port. How typical.

Meanwhile the original on PC modded.

doom_3_wulfen_texture_pack_8.jpg
Lazy? In what way? The engine clearly wasn't made with consoles in mind. Do you remember how awful Quake 4 ran on 360? Prey wasn't great either.

The fact that they achieve full on 60 fps with the console game shows that it was NOT just a lazy port. A lazy port would have been a disaster.

I'm curious to see it as the original textures really weren't that high-res to begin with. The modded PC version obviously offers much higher detail textures, but that's not what they were planning to deliver.

Pretty sad they can't get a PC game from 2004 to look nice on the PS3. Honestly I don't see the point of getting the console version, any machine from the last 5 years will run Doom 3 maxxed out.
I'm willing to bet that it looks better than the poster is giving it credit. I suspect they are simply using all of the original textures and artwork (unlike modded versions) and people have forgotten what those original textures looked like. As I said above, the engine ran like absolutely dogshit on 360 hardware earlier on. Quake 4 barely hit 20 fps half the time.

I'm a hardcore Doom fan so I'm getting this just for the faster frame-rate, improved resolution, new levels and collection of classic Doom games (better have expansions). The only reason I keep my OG Xbox hooked up is for Doom 3.

Lazy? In what way? The engine clearly wasn't made with consoles in mind. Do you remember how awful Quake 4 ran on 360? Prey wasn't great either.

The fact that they achieve full on 60 fps with the console game shows that it was NOT just a lazy port. A lazy port would have been a disaster.

I'm curious to see it as the original textures really weren't that high-res to begin with. The modded PC version obviously offers much higher detail textures, but that's not what they were planning to deliver.

I'm willing to bet that it looks better than the poster is giving it credit. I suspect they are simply using all of the original textures and artwork (unlike modded versions) and people have forgotten what those original textures looked like. As I said above, the engine ran like absolutely dogshit on 360 hardware earlier on. Quake 4 barely hit 20 fps half the time.

Prey runs at a smooth 30 fps nearly all the time. I've played it recently and I don't recall any instance of slowdown to be honest. Plus, the graphic quality is pretty much on par with the PC version outside of the resolution. Quake 4 was a quick shoddy port developed by Raven Sotware, just like the PC version. Still, saying that it barely hits 20 fps half the time, suggesting for the other half it crawls below that gap is plain exaggeration and false statement. It's bad framerate, but it's not that bad. Go play Perfect Dark or Turok 2, or for modern example, Blacksite on PS3. Now you have a case.

Sorry, just had to reply to this as I thought it was midguiding. Doom 3 at 60 fps will be sublime on consoles and I have no doubt Id did their best.

Reiko

Banned
WE get Doom 3 running 60fps on consoles and there is still complaints?

Damn... We were shafted from a 60fps Half Life 2 and nobody complained.

Grief.exe

I'm not too excited. Id released the mod tools for the original doom 3 so people have been making mods for a long time.

There really is no point to getting BFG edition since none of the mods will work for it. The game will be visually worse than the original doom 3 modded.

BFG apparently runs on a lot of rage engine code and john said the tools may never be released.

I hope this goes the way of other bethesda publishing efforts like brink, hunted, and rage, so that i might snag this for $10 in no time.

Is it wrong that I'm more interested in this so I can play Doom 1 & 2 on my PS3 than I am to play Doom 3 again? Anyone know if they'll have trophies?

I own Doom 1 on every platform it was released for, I may as well continue the trend.

dark10x

Yeah, but it used pure black (instead of shadow) designed for a CRT. On most flat panels Doom 3 looks like dog shit thanks to poor black levels in modern displays. They had to do something.

Prey runs at a smooth 30 fps nearly all the time.
Not that smooth. There are lots of drops.

That was some hyperbole in regards to Q4 but it was still mostly under 30 fps and very choppy.

I don't know why, but I really connected with Doom 3. I just really liked the world and all the story components that they revealed through the computer/audio entries. Just a wonderful atmosphere too... sign me up day 1, especially since I don't have any serviceable versions of Doom 1/2 at my disposal.

This game just gets waaaay too much hate.

agreed

I had a wonderful time with it when it first came out. I remember paying $54.99 for it as a matter of fact at BestBuy ...which, seemed nuts in 2004 for a PC game

I can't wait to play this again

My man Dark get's it

Yeah, but it used pure black (instead of shadow) designed for a CRT. On most flat panels Doom 3 looks like dog shit thanks to poor black levels in modern displays. They had to do something.

They said they brightened it because people complained it was too dark, not because it doesn't look good on today's TVs.

Krabboss

This bundle seems like a bad deal. The only interesting thing about it is its compatibility with the oculus rift, I think.

Katori

I'm going to be so upset if the PC versions of DOOM 1 and 2 are just in DOSbox instead of having a nice controller scheme and frontend.

Also not making multiplayer for those on PC was SUPER lazy. I'm just looking forward to DOOM3 with Achievements mainly.

Not that smooth. There are lots of drops.

I played the game for 3 hours straight last time I played it and only noticed a single small spot where I noticed a significant frame drop. One instance of framerate issue out of 3 long hours of gameplay is not what I call lots of drops. I then launched the game after reading this last statement of your to make sure I remembered my shit correctly. Turns out I played another 30 minutes in the process because I like the game. This time all I noticed is some micro framerate drops (from smooth 30fps to maybe 26-27 fps) which happened during firefights in some very specific areas and those drops never lasted long, like one or 2 seconds. If you think that is worth noting in order to prove your point, then I guess 99% of the games on consoles have "some major framerate issues with lots of drops". Prey on 360 is a very solid product with a much better framerate than 90% of the FPS that came out on this same console.

That was some hyperbole in regards to Q4 but it was still mostly under 30 fps and very choppy.

Oh but I am not disagreeing with this updated statement. The framerate was all over the place, making for a very choppy experience. It still was playable though.

Damn... We were shafted from a 60fps Half Life 2 and nobody complained.

That's really not what I remember...

60fps Doom3 on consoles will be amazing, I have no doubt about this. That engine holds up so well. Hell, Prey looks so good even nowadays.

jvm

Gamasutra.
I have this pre-ordered on PS3. Ready for good times on Tuesday night. Sure wish it would pre-load or they'd do a midnight drop.

1-D_FTW

I know some of us 3D guys were wondering what kind of support it'd get on PC (since it was an OpenGL game originally), but the latest Nvidia driver has 3D rated as excellent. So no fears.

Raonak

Banned
Wanted to buy it so i can have doom1 and 2 on my ps3 (trophies?)

but hopefully they'll release them seperately on PSN.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Is there any footage of Doom 1 or 2? I wonder how it looks.

played doom 2 today. looks the same as it did back when it was released. oh and no full screen support. a tiny 4:3 ratio screen.

if you guys are expecting a hd make over for doom 1 and 2.......its not. not even close. it isnt even full screen!

dark10x

They said they brightened it because people complained it was too dark, not because it doesn't look good on today's TVs.
It doesn't matter what they said. The truth is that Doom 3 looks terrible on flat panels due to its use of compete darkness. You see more LCD backlight than actual game.

TEH-CJ

Banned
It doesn't matter what they said. The truth is that Doom 3 looks terrible on flat panels due to its use of compete darkness. You see more LCD backlight than actual game.

not on my panasonic gt30 though :p

some of the best blacks out there.

watched some of that walkthrough that's up for the 360 version and noticed right away the sound design is revised.

- Shitty software rendered hiss/compression was gone
- SMG doesn't have that weird half stutter sound loop anymore. Just a solid ratatatat...
- Shotgun is different all together. More boomy. Not a hollow pop.

Can't wait to buy day one via PSN this Tues (^____^)

SkylineRKR

So the sound is on par with Doom 3 Alpha then?

Speaking of, Alpha had proper darkness. No flashlight needed at all, but it was still terrifying.

dark10x

not on my panasonic gt30 though :p

some of the best blacks out there.
...and I'm using a Kuro Elite, which looks awesome.

Still, CRTs DO actually produce an image more suited for Doom 3.

I'd say the average flat panel out there simply isn't going to deliver a good Doom 3 experience.

Unlike most dark games, Doom 3 actually features complete blackness devoid of *ALL* shadow detail. There are large swathes of 100% blackness.

Can anyone confirm if the whole flashlight-mounted gun thing is optional? I'd like to play with the separate flashlight like the original

...and I'm using a Kuro Elite, which looks awesome.

Still, CRTs DO actually produce an image more suited for Doom 3.

I'd say the average flat panel out there simply isn't going to deliver a good Doom 3 experience.

Unlike most dark games, Doom 3 actually features complete blackness devoid of *ALL* shadow detail. There are large swathes of 100% blackness.

BTW Dark, where did you find your Kuro Elite and how much have you paid for it?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Which can't be done with my rig:

Intel core i7 2600k
16 GB RAM
GTX 570

You should be able to with those specs, it's like butter on my i5 with 670, you just need to tweak the skid mod options, don't max them all out, I sure one of them kills your framerate, I remember trying each one individually.

dark10x

BTW Dark, where did you find your Kuro Elite and how much have you paid for it?
Well, heh, I suppose technically I'm using a 5020fd with an Elite board installed. The two sets use virtually identical glass so installing the Elite boards into the chassis actually unlocks ALL of the specific Elite options and capabilities. The picture quality was boosted immensely. I couldn't believe how much they locked out in the regular sets.

I bought mine back in 2008 when they were still being produced for like $2500. My three prior plasmas were all more expensive yet infinitely inferior. Best TV I've ever purchased. There isn't anything on the market that compares. The absolute top of the line Panasonic comes within throwing distance but it still pales in comparison.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
I'm also intrigued to know what the Doom 1&2 versions are like on the PS3, are they the same as the XBLA versions?

Also what enhancements does the newer PC version have over the original?

I own Doom 1 on every platform it was released for, I may as well continue the trend.

You own the GBA one?

Carnby

played doom 2 today. looks the same as it did back when it was released. oh and no full screen support. a tiny 4:3 ratio screen.

if you guys are expecting a hd make over for doom 1 and 2.......its not. not even close. it isnt even full screen!

I don't want to believe it. Why would they do this when there is an Xbox Live version ready to go?

Top Bottom