• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Eternal Modern GPU benchmarks.

Leonidas

4K-3.png

Damn, Nvidia has the top 5 spots. GeForce RTX and GTX 1080 Ti is a beast :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

Leonidas

Based on how good old AMD cards are in this game, this is pretty terrible news.

New AMD GPUs aren't fairing so well, Radeon VII ($699, 2019) is being outperformed by RTX 2070 Super ($499, 2019).
Old AMD GPUs like R9 290 and Fury X can't even run the game at 1080p Ultra.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
That's impressive stuff. id Tech 7 is a thing of beauty.

The speed is, but it's technically not as impressive. There are several things I see that the engine still doesn't push the limits of 3D features. With their hard stance on making 60FPS with any configuration, I don't see them pushing visuals to the level that Unreal Engine would do. I think they are too married to the DOOM of old which is going to always require them to have really fast bandwidth requirements in order to keep their graphics @ 60FPS. Not room for improvement on features that will certainly bog down FPS (i.e. lush landscape, good GI, every light casting a shadow, better FX animation and computation, etc..)

I tried the game and quickly returned it after feeling like I'm floating and my weapon just acts like it's killing ghosts. There is no sense of physics at all. After playing Zelda for 130hr+, I'm spoiled and want much slower and more realistic gameplay.

Last edited:

GHG

4k benchmark is bullshit.

Why don't you substantiate your claim?

These websites go through a lot of effort to benchmark games on various hardware and I always see you claiming it's bullshit because your system might run the game "differently" but you never back it up.

Kenpachii

Why don't you substantiate your claim?

These websites go through a lot of effort to benchmark games on various hardware and I always see you claiming it's bullshit because your system might run the game "differently" but you never back it up.

Because i have one and fps drops to low 50's all the time. so his 1% is bullshit for sure. 1440p and 1080p seems legit.

Shin

Banned
Based on how good old AMD cards are in this game, this is pretty terrible news.
DirectX + CUDA favoritism, regardless here's hoping the industry updates their engine to push new features.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Are you running identical hardware with identical cooling at identical clocks?

I got better hardware.

The 1% drops are as low as low 50's. how this guy gets 66 lows is beyond me, the GPU is also the biggest limiting factor at that resolution and frankly mine is heavily overclocked with it. Dude probably uses stock GPU's.

There is no way to get that fps at lows.

GHG

I got better hardware.

The 1% drops are as low as low 50's. how this guy gets 66 lows is beyond me, the GPU is also the biggest limiting factor at that resolution and frankly mine is heavily overclocked with it. Dude probably uses stock GPU's.

PC benchmarks can be peculiar, even "better" hardware can result in less desirable results dependent on your configuration and the stability of your clocks.

Since there is no in built benchmarking tool they run through an area of the game to get their results:

For testing we've used an early section of the game, right after the first Hell Priest has been terminated we're having a 60 second pass, with all results based on a 3-run average.

Unless you are are doing exactly the same run as them on identical hardware it's a bit much to say their results are "bullshit" just because they are different to what you might be experiencing.

LordOfChaos

Tried it on a 1030TI for shits and giggles, it's...Not great. Any further questions?

Not the worst I've played on, before I could afford anything as a kid I did play Halo CE at like 18FPS on a Geforce 2 MX. And still loved it and must have played that campaign more than any.

Leonidas

Source on the Fury X claim?

However, for 4GB and lower models, the ultra preset isn’t an option as 5.2 GB is used at 1080p.

Fury X was gimped with only 4 GB and doesn't have the capability to run this game in 1080p Ultra.

980 Ti is still going strong with 6 GB.

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Doesn't look to challenging on PC's if mid range cards can still run it fine perhaps not at high levels but still fine

Fbh

I wonder how well it will run at 1080p on my shitty 1050ti.
It runs pretty decently on base consoles so I imagine getting 60fps with decent graphical settings should be too hard.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
The game is not only technically proficient but simply beautiful too, most of the time. It's leagues above Doom 2016 yet somehow runs just fine on the same hardware. Getting rid of megatextures was the best decision they made for id Tech of course, it was a cool experiment but not viable. Still, normal high res textures is but one of many improvements. It has great base systems too but they went and ruined it with all the cooldown special skills, as if finisher moves in 2016 weren't breaking up gameplay enough now we have more bs we must use to replenish health, armor and ammo. The level design is great too but it's kind of useless to have the hub and climbing etc., it would have been great if they took it to the next level and had you repeat levels with new skills and weapons that give you access to different paths, Powerslave style, they kinda drag for no reason as it is. Btw, turn off the Steam fps overlay, I had read it causes performance issues but I didn't really have any problems initially so I thought it's a fluke but then in this one level I did get to low 50 fps in one busy spot, I tried changing settings to no avail until I disabled that again and it was magically fixed.

Last edited:

Iorv3th

I got better hardware.

Wonder if these are done on the same drivers and with the latest patch.

this is under DX12 right though? what about Vulcan benchmarks?
OpenGL has been dropped from idTech 7. DOOM Eternal only has a Vulkan client.

idTech has never had a Direct3D renderer.

Damn AMD taking the L in this game.
Remember when low-level API's were going to revolutionize everything and AMD GPU's with superior bullshit hardware something were going to leave Nvidia in the dust?

Boy, that sure aged badly. Like everything AMD makes on the GPU side. They have really turned things around on the CPU side but the GPU division is still awful at everything. AMD's acquisition of ATI is still the worst tech merger I have seen with the exception of HP-Compaq. That one was such a doozy it ended Carly Fiorina's career permanently.

Last edited:

FireFly

Damn AMD taking the L in this game.
Actually, the benchmark results are pretty decent for AMD, with the exception of the Radeon VII, perhaps. The 5700 XT is in between 2070 and 2070 Super, which is normal. The Vega 64 loses to the 1080 at 1080p, but beats it at higher resolutions. The 5500 XT, 580 and 590 all beat out the 1060, but lose to the 1660 at 1080p. However at 1440p the 590 beats the 1660, and at at 4K, it beats the 1660 Super.

Damn, 980 Ti still performing admirably at 5 years old. That's the oldest GPU in the chart.

Still using mine at the moment, I might upgrade for cyberpunk but I really want to wait for prices to start going down on the GPU's.

RDR2 pretty much maxes this thing out at 99% all the time at 2560 X 1080 LOL

Last edited:

llien

$399 5700XT is above 2070.
$349 5700 and $300 5600XT are above 2060, 1080 and other crap.

570 beating 1060 and 580 wiping the floor with is kinda funny.

If there was supposed to be a plot, besides repeating "AMD hasn't rolled out a product into high end section of the market (yet)", I have missed it.

Leonidas

If there was supposed to be a plot, besides repeating "AMD hasn't rolled out a product into high end section of the market (yet)", I have missed it.

Already throwing Radeon VII under the rug? It's AMD's high end right now, launched just last year, outperforming Navi... just can't keep up with 2017-2018 items from Nvidia.

No shame in that, maybe they'll do better next time.

Last edited:

FireFly

Already throwing Radeon VII under the rug? It's AMD's high end right now, launched just last year, outperforming Navi... just can't keep up with 2017-2018 items from Nvidia.

No shame in that, maybe they'll do better next time.
I thought it was discontinued?

Anyway, it was basically just a consumer version of the Radeon Instinct MI50, and is much less efficient than Navi for gaming workloads.

waylo

Banned
Strange it shows a 2060 running ultra with 70 to almost 90 FPS at 1440p. That is not my experience. With a 3800X and a 2060, at ultra I sit at like 60 FPS, with very regular dips down to 55ish.

GamingArena

But my 2080 System has 3x faster SSD then their 2080ti system i thought faster SSD will smoke 2080ti, what's going on here?

Last edited:
Top Bottom