• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

| DOOM Eternal OT | : Dragged Ripping & Tearing Into The New Decade!

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Is this game supposed to be hard or do I just suck? I get shredded in seconds.

Playin on Ultra Violence but still. I dont remember 2016 bein tough like this.
I bumped down the difficulty from Ultra Violence. In some areas I was getting completely melted in seconds. I may revisit missions on a higher difficulty once I've leveled up a bit and I'm not always hunting down a drone to chainsaw or melee kill for health.

Low health and low ammo simulator.

I just want to kill demons and not worry about constantly running out of ammo then running out health due to looking for ammo.

I may just put it on the easiest difficulty and enjoy myself.

The chainsaw is on a 30 second cooldown in this game, you get enough power to kill a low-level demon to constantly top up your ammo. Use the crap out of it. And circulate the blood-punch whenever you get the chance, free health drops!

Last edited:

highrider

Banned
I’m really beginning to enjoy the combat now, it’s a little tedious micromanaging flame burst, chainsaw and weak points. My only real gripe is the platforming. It doesn’t add anything, and it breaks the pace too heavily. It’s like mayhem, then let me do some acrobatic jump to grab this wall and shoot the green thing...😕

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Decided to trudge on through Ultra Violence. Combat starting to flow a little better. More enemy and weapon variety. The Super Shotgun is still Super, you can ignore whatever usual weaknesses with a Cacodemon, Revenant, or Hell Knight you exploit and just bust that out if you have the ammo. Mancubus are still too tanky for it, tho, those pricks get the rocket launcher.

That Doom Hunter Boss fight and the thing that happens after is some of the most K I N O shit I've experienced in an FPS. Beat it all on my first try and my jaw was on the floor when I realized what they were asking of me.

59036c7d253c0.png

Arozay

Some negatives.

- The Marauders really suck the fun out of some encounters, they're not hard but you'll fight them in shitty arena's where you can't mid range them with infinite respawns around them. Plus the AI likes to use every attack except for their weakness,and there's a cunty dog too. The key room was particular bullshit with the 5 centimeters of flat surfaces plus the priest boys shooting at you infinitely.

- The sword is just a less disappointing chainsaw that works on everything, don't see why it requires had to be another equippable/binding. There's a big of bloat on that end.

- RAD suit. A mechanic used about 3 times as a minor inconvenience that adds nothing.

- Still disconnecting in single player.

- There's been a few times with the jumping where you'll try something, it doesn't work so you'll look for another way, then it turns out the first way was correct but you didn't use pythagoras' theorem.

Probably should have lowered the difficulty from max ages ago but I'm committed to being triggered now. The main thing that makes Nightmare hard is just getting fisted up the ass and losing all hp/armour to a gust of wind when using glory kill or chainsaw, even with the quick glory kill.

MiguelItUp

I just wanted to say I'm absolutely loving it. Took yesterday off of work and blew through majority of it. I'm just about at the end and will finish tomorrow morning for sure.

I'm pretty biased because I'm a huge DOOM / id whore. But I really am enjoying this a TON. Gonna be playing it for awhile.

To each their own, but the combat in this is incredible. Hell, a lot of things are. It's really like they cranked everything up from 2016 IMO.

I'm actually really shocked by the "it sucks" and "I got refund" comments.

Guess it was never for y'all in the first place. 🤷🏻‍♂️

AndrewRyan

Just finished Mission 3 and am thoroughly enjoying the entire experience. The framerate so buttery smooth and control responsiveness feels so damn great, they just set the stage for a wonderful time.

Graphics are gorgeous with HDR constantly serving eye candy treats. Loving the combat system and how you need to use all your weapons. Kinda feels like a RTS game where you're building resources and handling combat at the same time. A good attempt to improve on Doom 2016s rinse-wash-repeat rut you sometimes get into. I think once your muscle-memory kicks in it will be a zen like experience.

Love the optional Slayer Gate and Crystal challenges. Like mini arena battles in the middle of the game. Wasn't crazy about the platforming at first but appreciate the change of pace they provide between the intense combat.

This type of quality doesn't come around too often and it's definitely my new favorite pure shooter surpassing 2016 and Rage2. Knew I would like it but this is just pure bliss.

Last edited:

Yoda

About 5 levels in, playing on Nightmare:

Like:
  • Environmental variation / art design is superb
  • Weapons handle well, surprised they managed to improve them over Doom 2016 as those were quite good
  • None of the levels so far have felt like filler/disappointed, they clearly out a lot of time into each one

Dislikes:
  • Still not sold on the new combat, I applaud the attempt for them to add variation, but the limited ammo in particular feels off (this could be due to the difficulty I'm on).
  • Doom 2016 not giving a shit about its story was a massive plus for me, I have no idea what's going on, nor do I care.
  • The amount of mico-management I need to do is a bit annoying: flame-thrower, grenade, punch, double jump, dash, chain saw.

Overall it's an amazing shooter, not sure I like it more than Doom 2016, will see once I've finished it.

Bolivar687

Banned
There should be a massive disclaimer on the front of the box that this feels nothing like the 2016 reboot. The ground movement is notably slower and the levels are much more linear. Hurt Me Plenty feels like Ultra Violence did in the last game. You run out of health and ammo so fast that the game shoehorns you into performing finishers to the point where they feel overused. The amount of times the opening levels stop the action for a tutorial or the lore does feel a bit more than your average AAA game. The lore in 2016 was a surprising treat because of how it was subtle, mysterious, and built on top of eachother. This game is just beating you over the head with Kings, Maekyrs, and Night Sentinels.

I understand the crowd that returned and refunded, but once it sets in that the developers intentionally chose to make a completely different and unique experience, it's hard not to marvel at what they've a achieved here. At first, some of the overtly cartoonish sound effects felt completely out of place to me but after getting a bit further it totally fits with the cohesive arcade pastiche. And all the systems and unlockables come together for such a robust and dense package.

Don't know what the hell those advertised specs were about. I'm running it on Ultra Nightmare 1440p on a GTX 1080 at a range of 90-120fps depending on the draw distance. I found I needed to crank the Sharpening setting or else the models look really flat and, IMO, worse than 2016.

Also, the DOOM 64 remaster is crazy good and it's insane that we have both these games available to play at the same time. 25 years later and DOOM is the biggest franchise in gaming right now.

Skyr

Finished it on nightmare. The last level just incredible from start to finish.

I have to say I didn't like it from the start. But the more abbiltys and weapons you got the better it became. Leveldesign is simply superb.

Now to finish the slayer gates. Didn't do a single one yet.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
The chainsaw is on a 30 second cooldown in this game, you get enough power to kill a low-level demon to constantly top up your ammo. Use the crap out of it. And circulate the blood-punch whenever you get the chance, free health drops!
And this sucks. Every 30s You look for low level guy to chainsaw. In the search you loose some health and armor so you look for a guy to burn and kill and for another guy to glory kill for health.... The cycle is constant and by the end of the game you will see these animations thousands of times. In 2016 the further the game progress, the less glory kills I've used. The 2016 flowed much better and glory\chainsaw kills did not got boring and used to much.
This is micromanagement of 5 different systems which you repeat each 30 second or more often. And you always murder enemies with weak points the same way.
It's not ok. Doom should be bang bang shoot shoot with atmosphere and simplicity to it but some combat puzzle like Halo(who to kill first) and maze level design.
Nothing in here plays as well as foundry level in 2016. It even feels more linear.
And because of stupid platforming, levels make no sense visually. In 2016 everything flows together much better.

Seriously, there is no 15seconds of pure combat in later game. You must replenish some resource constantly.

I just wanted to say I'm absolutely loving it. Took yesterday off of work and blew through majority of it. I'm just about at the end and will finish tomorrow morning for sure.

I'm pretty biased because I'm a huge DOOM / id whore. But I really am enjoying this a TON. Gonna be playing it for awhile.

To each their own, but the combat in this is incredible. Hell, a lot of things are. It's really like they cranked everything up from 2016 IMO.

I'm actually really shocked by the "it sucks" and "I got refund" comments.

Guess it was never for y'all in the first place. 🤷🏻‍♂️

It doesn't build on top of Doom 2016 overall, Eternal goes its own path and is significantly different than its prequel. So people who expected Doom 2016 on steroids are going to be disappointed.

Combine that disappointment with the fact that Eternal is also significantly harder than Doom 2016 and aggressively throws all these mechanics and elements that you'll need to manage in your face. There's also this strategic element to the design of Eternal. So the disappointment that it's not Doom 2016 on steroids, the anger that balls are being broken until you get used to it and the micro-management of resources and mechanics, overall will piss off a lot of fans.

It's a different game, but it's phenomenally well made. I'll have to finish it to decide, but for now, i am immensely enjoying it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It doesn't build on top of Doom 2016 overall, Eternal goes its own path and is significantly different than its prequel. So people who expected Doom 2016 on steroids are going to be disappointed.

Combine that disappointment with the fact that Eternal is also significantly harder than Doom 2016 and aggressively throws all these mechanics and elements that you'll need to manage in your face. There's also this strategic element to the design of Eternal. So the disappointment that it's not Doom 2016 on steroids, the anger that balls are being broken until you get used to it and the micro-management of resources and mechanics, overall will piss off a lot of fans.

It's a different game, but it's phenomenally well made. I'll have to finish it to decide, but for now, i am immensely enjoying it.
Nobody is saying that it's bad because it's not like 2016(which was phenomenally designed). It's just badly designed. What kinda of gameplay is that where You constantly mid fight run out of hp, armor, ammo and need to find low level enemies constantly to restore with the same animations 10x during a single fight? And reused tough enemies, bad platforming don't help. The game started well and looks and controls great but I liked it less and less 2nd half.
The biggest disappointment for me is that, despite seeing all these amazing huge mechs everywhere and even having Your own doom slayer mech... you never see them working or control them. Just a decoration

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Super annoying you cant even go 5mb above the vram limit, my gpu has no problems running games at higher vram, it might take a little longer for textures to load but nor im forced to play with low texture size and low shadows, the rest is on ultra and I still get over 80fps.

Fucking forced vram limits.. why the fuck?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
And this sucks. Every 30s You look for low level guy to chainsaw. In the search you loose some health and armor so you look for a guy to burn and kill and for another guy to glory kill for health.... The cycle is constant and by the end of the game you will see these animations thousands of times. In 2016 the further the game progress, the less glory kills I've used. The 2016 flowed much better and glory\chainsaw kills did not got boring and used to much.
This is micromanagement of 5 different systems which you repeat each 30 second or more often. And you always murder enemies with weak points the same way.
It's not ok. Doom should be bang bang shoot shoot with atmosphere and simplicity to it but some combat puzzle like Halo(who to kill first) and maze level design.
Nothing in here plays as well as foundry level in 2016. It even feels more linear.
And because of stupid platforming, levels make no sense visually. In 2016 everything flows together much better.

Seriously, there is no 15seconds of pure combat in later game. You must replenish some resource constantly.

It really sounds like you are trying to use the weapons you want vs every weapon. If you are using every weapon you won't run out of ammo that fast. Even longer than in Doom 2016.

You could argue the first couple of levels when you are limited to a few weapons you run out a bit quick but by the the third level that's no longer an issue.

Helios

Fuck whoever made that marauder secret encounter. Holy fuck. I literally failed it because I was in the glory kill animation when the time expired.
Also fuck the marauder in general. Why is his range attack/close attack distance so unclear. Where do you want me to stay, game? Tell me.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It really sounds like you are trying to use the weapons you want vs every weapon. If you are using every weapon you won't run out of ammo that fast. Even longer than in Doom 2016.

You could argue the first couple of levels when you are limited to a few weapons you run out a bit quick but by the the third level that's no longer an issue.
no, I am using everything there is. There are just 3 ammo types so weapons run dry fast.
Another complaint - every bigger enemy or encounter, the game stops with a pop up windows which just explains You what to do. "Here is a boss fight. If You do this, then this, so do this"

no, I am using everything there is. There are just 3 ammo types so weapons run dry fast.
Another complaint - every bigger enemy or encounter, the game stops with a pop up windows which just explains You what to do. "Here is a boss fight. If You do this, then this, so do this"

This game so far is a huge disappointment for me. Game feels like a Platformer more than it does a Doom game. Plus my guns are consistently out of ammo. I am hating this game so far. What a gigantic letdown.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

Sorry but you either are lying, exaggerating immensely, or suck at the game.The loops is not 30 seconds, or 15 like you say later. I get you don't like it but your complaints are not genuine, minus the boss tip one which I agree with was a bit strange, but if you are using everything at your disposal and are good at the game you are only glory killing and looking for health and ammo once during a 4-8 minute fight. The whole point of the armor system is to mitigate the need to constantly glory kill.

Last edited:

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Low health and low ammo simulator.

I just want to kill demons and not worry about constantly running out of ammo then running out health due to looking for ammo.

I may just put it on the easiest difficulty and enjoy myself.
True. The most fun I have had with the game so far was when I booted up the first level yesterday and could play it with all my progress enabled. That's when it start to feel like Doom.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
4 hours in, am I the only one who thinks 2016 is better? I have a hard time remembering all the special powers and when to use them. I'm dying a whole lot, even on hurt me plenty. The jump and climbing sections also suck.
Doom > Doom 2016 > Doom 2 >>>>>>>>>> Doom 3 > Doom Eternal

Nobody asked for all that micromanagement. It's not a Doom game anymore. Shows you that nobody of the old id Software still works there. Doom Eternal feels like a bunch of people each had their own idea and then threw it together into a steaming pile of shit where nothing truly works and everything is annoying. They even killed the multiplayer. Doom Slayer vs. 2 other players with huge shields AND a ton of NPC demons? Who thought that would be fun?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Doom > Doom 2016 > Doom 2 >>>>>>>>>> Doom 3 > Doom Eternal

Nobody asked for all that micromanagement. It's not a Doom game anymore. Shows you that nobody of the old id Software still works there. Doom Eternal feels like a bunch of people each had their own idea and then threw it together into a steaming pile of shit where nothing truly works and everything is annoying. They even killed the multiplayer. Doom Slayer vs. 2 other players with huge shields AND a ton of NPC demons? Who thought that would be fun?

Get good and you'll be fine.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sorry but you either are lying, exaggerating immensely, or suck at the game.The loops is not 30 seconds, or 15 like you say later. I get you don't like it but your complaints are not genuine, minus the boss tip one which I agree with was a bit strange, but if you are using everything at your disposal and are good at the game you are only glory killing and looking for health and ammo once during a 4-8 minute fight. The whole point of the armor system is to mitigate the need to constantly glory kill.
I am not lying lol. I am 31, play games my whole life and finished this new doom in 2 sittings. have You got to the ending? First half of the game is fine but in later parts, You constantly need to recharge. There is almost no way to avoid damage.
You can't just shame me for something like that... I play the game the way I play the game. And I've finished it in 2 sittings so I wasn't doing to bad

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I am not lying lol. I am 31, play games my whole life and finished this new doom in 2 sittings. have You got to the ending? First half of the game is fine but in later parts, You constantly need to recharge. There is almost no way to avoid damage.
You can't just shame me for something like that... I play the game the way I play the game. And I've finished it in 2 sittings so I wasn't doing to bad

Not about shaming. And yes I finished it on UV.

Like I am not a fan of the "get good" mentality but this game falls into that category.

I never said you can avoid damage but the systems in place keep you from takin enough damage to constantly need to be looking for health. If you running out of health that fast you either aren't going into the battle with full health and armor, which you should be based on the pick ups in-between every battle as well as the ability to get both at almost any time, or you are not playing well and using everything at your disposal. Dashing, ice gernades, the right weapon mods, flame belch, etc.

The last level is bonkers but its the key level to show how the systems work together. It's like a game of chess. If you play wrong and don't use your pieces correctly you will be utterly destroyed but if you use what you have in the correct way you will only take damage that's necessary.

MiguelItUp

Because he knows Doom better than the devs obvs. Didn't you see?
Right?

Yeah, no hard feelings towards anyone, but I really can't take a lot of the personal negative criticism seriously.

There is a bit of platforming, and that's the one thing that I understand could put some people off. But that being said, it works very well, much better than it should in first person by any means, lmao.

People mention it "breaks up the action", I never have. Instead I look at it as a breath of fresh air after chaotic battles. Sometimes it's TOO aggressive and TOO intense that almost anything that isn't combat feelings like a sigh of relief for just a bit.

I'm really not understanding how this is "worse than 2016" for anyone. It's honestly mind boggling to me.

No one had to “get good” to enjoy the first one. This is a horrible sequel, it’s as if they completely forgot why we enjoyed the first one to begin with.

I feel like they know what we enjoyed and they built off of it or added more. That's why they made the combat even more intricate and layered. I mean, it's the main component of the game.

I loved doom 2016, and I’m absolutely hating this one. There are too many jump puzzles, too much platforming, I’m always running out of ammo. I fucking hate it.

Makes no sense to me. If the platforming ruins your day THAT bad, lol, I don't know what else to say about that. As for the ammo, I'm almost done with the game and I've only run out of ammo 1-2. To which I was like, "Oh, need to do some chainsawing", and then boom, crisis averted.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Right?

Yeah, no hard feelings towards anyone, but I really can't take a lot of the personal negative criticism seriously.

There is a bit of platforming, and that's the one thing that I understand could put some people off. But that being said, it works very well, much better than it should in first person by any means, lmao.

People mention it "breaks up the action", I never have. Instead I look at it as a breath of fresh air after chaotic battles. Sometimes it's TOO aggressive and TOO intense that almost anything that isn't combat feelings like a sigh of relief for just a bit.

I'm really not understanding how this is "worse than 2016" for anyone. It's honestly mind boggling to me.

I feel like they know what we enjoyed and they built off of it or added more. That's why they made the combat even more intricate and layered. I mean, it's the main component of the game.

I respect anyone's opinions but it seems like people wanted the power Trip more than a skill based game. Which is fine if that's what you wanted but it's not the games fault you (not you in particular)expected something and got something else.

This is a game made for fans of Doom which is tight combat and engaging level design.

Last edited:

Carna

Banned
The 90s Doom games, do not feel like this, it's way easier to deal with huge crowds of enemies in those games than this one.

MiguelItUp

I respect anyone's opinions but it seems like people wanted the power Trip more than a skill based game. Which is fine if that's what you wanted but it's not the games fault you (not you in particular)expected something and got something else.

This is a game made for fans of Doom which is tight combat and engaging level design.
I agree, through and through.

I'll always respect opinions, and I always want to hear them. I find it fascinating. I'm just legit curious to hear a lot of those people's criticisms, because from my perspective it's like they're playing a completely different game, lol.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

Play on easy then. It's not horrible because you suck at it.

Most of GAF will dismiss your comment as flippant, but they shouldn't. This game really does require more and different skills from the player, compared to 2016. And a lot of people who loved that game will be put off by Eternal at first. And it may never click with some of them.

This is low key like learning a new language. While you're struggling with it, it's not as fun as speaking your first language that you're already fluent in. But then once you get it down, once you have that muscle memory for how the flow works, then everything falls into place and new experiences are offered to you. I think that's what is going on here. Eternal is very different from 2016, and it just requires a lot more from the player. It's going to take us time to get into that new flow, and some people never will (even if they manage to finish it, ironically).

For those of us who are picking it up well early on, the extra challenge is fun and rewarding and way better than anything 2016 could have offered. For others it is just frustrating. Neither side is "wrong" objectively, it's just some people are not given to enjoy what Eternal asks of the player. And that does mean Eternal is somewhat more hardcore and niche than 2016 was. And that's okay. Maybe they'll never "git gud" enough to speak it fluently, and they'll hate it. And it's their loss, but such is life.

dorkimoe

4 hours in, am I the only one who thinks 2016 is better? I have a hard time remembering all the special powers and when to use them. I'm dying a whole lot, even on hurt me plenty. The jump and climbing sections also suck.

2016 was better, they changed quite a bit I think. It feels weird, and it definitely is super hard now. The collectibles seem really hard to get to and sometimes they are right in front of you but no path anywhere near. Still having a lot of fun with it, but definitely would say 2016 is the superior one.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Most of GAF will dismiss your comment as flippant, but they shouldn't. This game really does require more and different skills from the player, compared to 2016. And a lot of people who loved that game will be put off by Eternal at first. And it may never click with some of them.

This is low key like learning a new language. While you're struggling with it, it's not as fun as speaking your first language that you're already fluent in. But then once you get it down, once you have that muscle memory for how the flow works, then everything falls into place and new experiences are offered to you. I think that's what is going on here. Eternal is very different from 2016, and it just requires a lot more from the player. It's going to take us time to get into that new flow, and some people never will (even if they manage to finish it, ironically).

For those of us who are picking it up well early on, the extra challenge is fun and rewarding and way better than anything 2016 could have offered. For others it is just frustrating. Neither side is "wrong" objectively, it's just some people are not given to enjoy what Eternal asks of the player. And that does mean Eternal is somewhat more hardcore and niche than 2016 was. And that's okay. Maybe they'll never "git gud" enough to speak it fluently, and they'll hate it. And it's their loss, but such is life.
Agreed entirely. I said something very similar a few pages back but many are dismissing it.

Nobody is saying that it's bad because it's not like 2016(which was phenomenally designed). It's just badly designed. What kinda of gameplay is that where You constantly mid fight run out of hp, armor, ammo and need to find low level enemies constantly to restore with the same animations 10x during a single fight? And reused tough enemies, bad platforming don't help. The game started well and looks and controls great but I liked it less and less 2nd half.
The biggest disappointment for me is that, despite seeing all these amazing huge mechs everywhere and even having Your own doom slayer mech... you never see them working or control them. Just a decoration

I'll have to finish the game to properly comment on it. I'm quite a bit after i got the plasma gun, and it's been tremendously fun. I really don't mind the platforming, it's simple and entertaining. It's getting manageable now that i'm used to it and understand the design. I just juggle the weapons i have at my disposal so i don't run out of ammo.

But as i said, i gotta finish the game first before commenting further, then i have to sit down and calmly think about it. Then i can form a proper opinion on it.

The 90s Doom games, do not feel like this, it's way easier to deal with huge crowds of enemies in those games than this one.

I'm currently playing the original Doom through GZDoom (with one mod: Smooth Doom) on Ultra Violence and i wouldn't call it way easier by any stretch of the imagination.

Top Bottom