• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

| DOOM Eternal OT | : Dragged Ripping & Tearing Into The New Decade!

Game was wild. I did not expect it to be such a different experience from 2016. With the amount of dash dodging and mechanics you're employing non-stop I can see why this game gets compared to a character action game. Really had a good time with this one and am ready to jump back in for seconds and to also mess with these master levels.

Though that said...no DM remains a gigantic blunder. Battlemode is somewhat fun but it's no replacement or equivalent.

RealGassy

Banned
Looks like i'm done.

Aside from the game being way beyond my capabilities, i dislike how all these different skill trees and weapon upgrades seem tied to side content, making it hard to even grind up.

I saw a post on the "other" site, and that dude compared this to a 90s FMV game, what he means is that you have to do everything in a super specific way or you are dead, zero margin for error, and some people will like that, but i don't.

Back to yakuza collection
I'm playing it on Ultra Violence.
The game isn't hard, it's just annoying.

It forces a playstyle upon you. It forces you to use a particular weapon, hell, even a particular weapon upgrade to deal with certain enemies.
You are basically forced to exploit enemy weaknesses otherwise enemies are way too tanky and it feels like your weapons do no damage.
Considering how little ammo you have, there's no other choice but to play the game in a particular style developer forces upon you.
It forces to use the stupid chainsaw all the time, and use glory kills etc.

Enemies rush you all the time too, which isn't fun since the weapons have no ammo and "feel weak". So you have to run around all the time like a little bitch.

They took the Doom 2016 masterpiece and turned into kiddy arcadey, overengineered shit.
I mean, the game is not bad, but it is worse in so many subtle ways.

I'm honest to god curious what happened in the development of it, did Bathseda fire half of the original Doom 2016 team?

Last edited:

mcz117chief

So how does it compare to Shadow Warrior 2, it is my favorite FPS of the last few years and a big reason why I didn't enjoy Doom 4 that much. Will I like this one?

Just finished the game, better than Doom 2016 in pretty much every way in my opinion. The game requiring a lot more of you in terms of navigation, weapon and mod switching, and ability juggling is intense and I fucking adore it. The amount of mobility you have with the meathook, double jump, double dash, the generous chainsaw glory kill teleporting, blood-punches, and the ice bomb is intoxicating. I was coming up with all sorts of thrilling escape and flanking methods on Ultra Violence to deal with what was getting thrown at me (AKA a hell of a lot more than the previous game) and I barely ever stuck to the same weapon once. There's no tedium halfway through the game, or only sticking to a small handful of weapons like the previous game! All the enemies are a tasty treat, and my arsenal is a swiss army array of eating utensils to tackle each dish!

Oh hey, Arachnatron giving me trouble? Just gonna just vault over a bar, fling into the air and precision bolt it's turret with the slow motion rune, dash towards it and fall on top with a blood punch causing it to stagger a little, switching to the super shotgun to finish the bastard off before zipping away once my dashes recharged upon hitting the floor instantly and finding my next victim! Pinky got me cornered in a tight corridor? Just gonna ice bomb this bad boy, get round back and one shot him into dozens of ice shards with my rocket volley or the super shotgun! Childs play! Sure, the action is way more unrelenting than the previous game, but you're given a shitload of tools to duck in and out and survive comfortably. Never found myself ever running out of ammo once I grasped the tempo of farming with the chainsaw by using it on soldiers and zombies while saving my best weapons for the big bastards. Same with health and armor once I got into the flame belch/blood punch tempo!

This and TItanfall 2 are easily in my top 10 games of the gen, and both of them are probably up towards the top of the list. Outstanding game, and one of the best examples of the genre!

Last edited:

Arozay

So finally done with Nightmare, last boss was surprisingly easy compared to every other boss. I think I BFG'ed every Archvile in the game, if only Marauders weren't immune to everything...

Plot took itself a bit too seriously with the lore building compared to 2016, which was a disappointment. Except for that "Cake is a lie LOL"tier UAC hologram.

xrnzaaas

So finally done with Nightmare, last boss was surprisingly easy compared to every other boss. I think I BFG'ed every Archvile in the game, if only Marauders weren't immune to everything...

Plot took itself a bit too seriously with the lore building compared to 2016, which was a disappointment. Except for that "Cake is a lie LOL"tier UAC hologram.
I've used the Crucible on Archviles myself. The Marauders ain't that bad if you're fighting them one on one, they're much worse if there are other stronger demons nearby.

The ending and the credits is some RAGE 1 shit.

Dont care for the platforming, skill/weapon leveling or the cartoony visuals and terrible Darksider like monster designs.

The entire thing looked and felt like a single player mode for an Overwatch Halloween DLC.

ID is dead.

Oh, whats the chances that these two comments are related?: "RIP and Tear, Until its done." - "Instead, when asked for a release date on a new title, Carmack will usually reply that the game will be released "when it's done."

Last edited:

Stuart360

To the Doom purists on PC, who hate the new ammo mechanics, you could always download a trainer and use 'unilited ammo' and then you can use what guns you want as much as you want. Its not an ideal situation but it will bypass the ammo mechanics.

To the Doom purists on PC, who hate the new ammo mechanics, you could always download a trainer and use 'unilited ammo' and then you can use what guns you want as much as you want. Its not an ideal situation but it will bypass the ammo mechanics.

What are you talking about?

Both Doom 2016 and Eternal come with a trainer built in. Using the enemy melee QTE, chainsaw, and weakpoints turn this game into Doom Viva Pinata... this is the easiest most brain dead doom released.

The only difficulty in this game is similarities to CODs invisible checkpoint/infinite enemy spawns. You only get lucky, you dont survive based on skill.

Aris from Avoiding The Puddle said it best - Red Halo. - That jump off the platform after defeating that certain somebody looked like something straight out of Halo.

Last edited:

Arozay

I've used the Crucible on Archviles myself. The Marauders ain't that bad if you're fighting them one on one, they're much worse if there are other stronger demons nearby.
Marauders just ruin the pace of a fight, you end up running away half the time until you find a non-shit level surface. Plus they don't stagger half the time, and spam long range at mid range because reasons.

Helios

I find it hilarious that there are now doom 2016 purists who think that Eternal is too much of a departure from the original DOOM games.
So how does it compare to Shadow Warrior 2, it is my favorite FPS of the last few years and a big reason why I didn't enjoy Doom 4 that much. Will I like this one?
The movement in particular feels very similar to SW2. I haven't played the game in a long time so I couldn't tell you if you'd like Eternal but the pace of the combat is much more fast and chaotic than 2016.

Last edited:

GymWolf

how many movement ability do you unlock in doom20016? i unlocked the double jump yesterday but i want a sprint or something to close distances more efficiently, there is something similar going forward with the game?

still hard to believe that a fast paced fps doesn't have any form of sprint or run...for now rage 2 and shadow warrior 2 feels more fun to me tbh.

Last edited:

Stuart360

how many movement ability do you unlock in doom20016? i unlocked the double jump yesterday but i want a sprint or something to close distances more efficiently, there is something similar going forward with the game?

still hard to believe that a fast paced fps doesn't have any form of sprint or run...
There is no sprint button because you are already running constantly, but yeah it could do with speeding up a touch.. You also have the dash to close distances.

Stuart360

What are you talking about?

Both Doom 2016 and Eternal come with a trainer built in. Using the enemy melee QTE, chainsaw, and weakpoints turn this game into Doom Viva Pinata... this is the easiest most brain dead doom released.

The only difficulty in this game is similarities to CODs invisible checkpoint/infinite enemy spawns. You only get lucky, you dont survive based on skill.

Aris from Avoiding The Puddle said it best - Red Halo. - That jump off the platform after defeating that certain somebody looked like something straight out of Halo.
Yo didnt get me. I wasnt talking about unlimted ammo because the game is too hard. There are a lot of poeple who think the 'Pinata' mechanics (as you put it) are shit and they just want to use whatever guns they want, as much as they want. So i'm saying 'unlimited ammo' on a trainer would allow that.

GymWolf

There is no sprint button because you are already running constantly, but yeah it could do with speeding up a touch.. You also have the dash to close distances.
dash? is it an ability you get after the double jump? (i'm talking about doom2016 not eternal)

GymWolf

finally someone who apprecciate the shooting on that game, i don't know why people never talk about that game.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Nope, it's (more of the same)E2(na druhou) so it's probably going to be even worse for you.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

The movement in particular feels very similar to SW2. I haven't played the game in a long time so I couldn't tell you if you'd like Eternal but the pace of the combat is much more fast and chaotic than 2016.
That is great, because the incredible speed in SW2 is practically unmatched in any FPS game I have ever played, the ones that come closest are the Tribes series and surfing maps on Counter-Strike.

finally someone who appreciates the shooting on that game, i don't know why people never talk about that game.
That and the incredible speed which can be achieved by bunny hopping combined with dashing and air-dashing.

GymWolf

That is great, because the incredible speed in SW2 is practically unmatched in any FPS game I have ever played, the ones that come closest are the Tribes series and surfing maps on Counter-Strike.

That and the incredible speed which can be achieved by bunny hopping combined with dashing and air-dashing.
such an underrated game.

Surprised at how well this runs in 4k on my 980ti... think I made the right choice going PC even though I'm sure performance is similar on the X1X.

Nymphae

Banned
Finally started to "get it" last night, the combat is really flowing for me now and I'm not having as difficult a time, main things for me were never stop moving (I know, duh), and re-training myself to use the chainsaw as often as possible. I learned to almost never use it in 2016 because of how rare the ammo was, you can get by without it so I learned to, but here it's 100% a requirement and took me some getting used to.

The gameplay loop is tense and hectic as fuck, very high skill ceiling and everything is fun, even the platforming I think.

Sygma

I'm playing it on Ultra Violence.
The game isn't hard, it's just annoying.

It forces a playstyle upon you. It forces you to use a particular weapon, hell, even a particular weapon upgrade to deal with certain enemies.
You are basically forced to exploit enemy weaknesses otherwise enemies are way too tanky and it feels like your weapons do no damage.
Considering how little ammo you have, there's no other choice but to play the game in a particular style developer forces upon you.
It forces to use the stupid chainsaw all the time, and use glory kills etc.

Enemies rush you all the time too, which isn't fun since the weapons have no ammo and "feel weak". So you have to run around all the time like a little bitch.

They took the Doom 2016 masterpiece and turned into kiddy arcadey, overengineered shit.
I mean, the game is not bad, but it is worse in so many subtle ways.

I'm honest to god curious what happened in the development of it, did Bathseda fire half of the original Doom 2016 team?

Thats completely wrong on all levels lmao, you guys just like to complain about things you're not good at.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It's amazing to see this game click for some people. Like I said this game won't hit like 2016 did because it's not a power Trip game the way people want it to be. Its a true skill based FPS.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Though that said...no DM remains a gigantic blunder. Battlemode is somewhat fun but it's no replacement or equivalent.

I said for years that a revised Quake Champions should be included as Eternal's multiplayer. It already has Doomguy in it, Eternal itself has a Quake Champions easter egg.

I stand today vindicated!

Finally started to "get it" last night, the combat is really flowing for me now and I'm not having as difficult a time, main things for me were never stop moving (I know, duh), and re-training myself to use the chainsaw as often as possible. I learned to almost never use it in 2016 because of how rare the ammo was, you can get by without it so I learned to, but here it's 100% a requirement and took me some getting used to.

The gameplay loop is tense and hectic as fuck, very high skill ceiling and everything is fun, even the platforming I think.

Hey, glad to see you got around to re-tuning your brain for this game! People have just gotta get out of the mindset of "This is a sequel to Doom 2016, therefore the old style of play should just work!" Kudos to you chief, and...

U35QtXk.gif

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I think it’s more amazing to see it NOT click for people, especially those who loved 2016.
I am not that surprised as a lot of people on this forum in particular knit pick to death. The design is drastically different from 2016 from a combat stance and when you combine a different design philosophy with the knit pickers you are going to get people who simply can't comprehend it and write it off as bad design. When in reality they are to naive to understand the design and challenge because its not the the game it was in their head.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Minor spoilers below, does anyone here really care though?

The getting your ass back to Mars stuff was so badass - in another game they would have made a far bigger deal of this (and maybe it could be argued they should have here too...), but in a weird way I still love how the game brushes off narrative and larger set pieces. Like it's setup and finished in the span of 5 minutes - the BFG 10,000, you shooting a fucking hole into the core of the planet from orbit, and then you shooting yourself with the ships cannons to another ship, to shoot yourself down to the planet? Badass as fuck. The whole thing looked incredible. I love how the Slayer makes the meek scientists and armed guards tremble lol.

I also really like the narrative texts, I don't necessarily want this stuff droned out in boring chatty cutscenes, but I really do appreciate the effort put into the lore, it fleshes everything out nicely, when I need some downtime I check those out.

Bartski

Gold Member
TL/DR...

This will be an unpopular opinion: DOOM ETERNAL is, to me, both a great and a horrible game and I wish it didn't happen.
There are just my feelings fresh after 100%ing the campaign on PS4.

This game is a paradox. The most frustrating thing about it is how great it is in so many areas while being full of horrible, completely unnecessary direction/design decisions, enough that it destroys a lot of what made DOOM'16 great for me. It sets a course for the franchise that turns me from a huge fan to an indifferent observer of the things to come.

DOOM'16 felt super consistent and grounded in its own madness. It was a perfect modern interpretation of the vibe of 90's DOOM, a tongue-in-cheek gory action B-horror. It's character building and storytelling most powerful moments were told through gameplay. The story was simple, the lore was leaving all the biggest questions unanswered and the codex "levels of madness" was such a clever way to deliver it.

The plot in Eternal is just trying too damn hard to make itself significant, it's bloated and pretentious. It fails even harder IMO because it's trying to established deep world lore for the events, tell a grand scale complex story, while also being completely unnecessary, because the way the gameplay is constructed makes it way less relevant than it was in DOOM'16.
ETERNAL is based on the idea, that breaking the consistency of the game world doesn't matter, as long as it supports gameplay goals. Those goals are then somehow at odds with creating an immersive game world, as made clear by devs in some pre-release interviews. As a result - there is no arcade mode in DOOM ETERNAL. The whole campaign is made so that it will never need one.

The devs are proud to have taken as many key inspirations from its predecessor as from Super Mario and Serious Sam.

Imagine someone telling you these are IDs plans for the sequel after you were done with DOOM16. With a straight face. Imagine being told - this time you will be collecting levitating, shiny coins for upgrades.
No more DOOM with oppressive, dark, moody arenas that still feel like real places. We're going for monkey bar platforming, 1UPs and rainbow color light-hearted, silly, arcade carnage fest.
And that is exactly what they chose to do.
When it comes to the atmosphere - ETERNAL feels like a parody od DOOM'16. Most enemies look like cartoony, clownish renditions of before for a better blend.
Mick Gordon's soundtrack here, is, in my opinion, the second chapter of THE BEST videogame soundtrack of all time. That is how I feel when listening to it in my car. Amazing arrangements and production of organic and synthetic pure sonic evil. In the game tho - it blows my mind it actually felt mismatched at times with all the dumb shit happening on the screen...!

The worst thing about it is that everything the game does to constantly kill any shred of immersion could have been done in so many different ways, negating the issue. You never need to put items into the game world that do not belong there and explain it is for the sake of visibility, sorry that doesn't feel like a smart decision and the way they chose the pickups to look and work is just baffling. I could go on...

Let me get one thing straight - ETERNAL has some of the best gunplay and high octane action EVER. It's a phenomenal shooter with some of the most amazing, most satisfying guns in any FPS game. Destructible enemy models are a concept I was waiting for the whole generation to be successfully implemented somewhere and I hope it's here to stay. So good! Even the bosses were really OK, maybe except for the last one... but that's pretty much it.

I know how this is a one man's opinion, I know I'm in the minority and how many people praise this design and are happy with how it turned out to be. It is by no means a bad game - it is not the next DOOM I wanted. I've had fun, gonna try out Battle mode and may return to it after upgrading my pc. For now, I'm parting ways with ETERNAL as a fun but ultimately forgettable experience. I would never say that about DOOM'16 and it's a damn shame.

Last edited:

JoduanER2

I find it hilarious that there are now doom 2016 purists who think that Eternal is too much of a departure from the original DOOM games.

Shadow warrior 2 is bullet sponge the game. Hated that game soo much.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Doom Hunter is easily the strongest and best enemy in the game.

Tyrants are just sponges. Not very threatening. A Cyberdemon from oldschool Doom would rek its shit.

Yoda

Finished the game, had to nerf the difficulty down a notch from nightmare. I think if I played it again I'd have a better hang of how it wants to be played WRT to managing ammo via using the different skills to force them to drop from creep (lesser?) demons. Some of the arenas towards the end of the game were really well done. Solid game all around, I still think I prefer how Doom 2016 does ammo, but what they did here is passable imo.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Don't mean to burst your bubble but the folder says "Daisy Pics"
Bruh thats doomguys rabbit.
Yeah like I mentioned earlier in the thread I'm not a DOOM fan. This game may change that.

I still do wonder if the day one patch is mandatory in order to play and complete the single player game.

Kenpachii

Runs at 720p 180fps at 1080p ultra nightmare, 1080p at 130+ fps nightmare, 1440p 90+ fps ultra nightmare, 4k 50+ fps ultra nightmare on 1080ti. ( minimums )

Runs butter smooth but still disappointed by the performance.

HotPocket69

Banned
I understand that people don't like the platforming, but really, it should be applauded for how well it works. It works a lot better than it should, ever IMO, lmao.

Even the platforming is intense. I feel like I hold my breath and clench my ass cheeks every time I make a seemingly impossible long jump to a wall to grab.

Love it.

Last edited:

JRW

I was noticing an occasional hitching when panning the camera and long story short in doom settings I changed the Vsync option from Triple buffer to On and this eliminated the problem. all buttery smooth now <shrug>

Helios

I understand that people don't like the platforming, but really, it should be applauded for how well it works. It works a lot better than it should, ever IMO, lmao.
I think the wall grabbing is a little finicky at times. Other than that, as much as I think they ruin the flow of the levels, they work well.

MiguelItUp

Even the platforming is intense. I feel like I hold my breath and clench my ass cheeks every time I make a seemingly impossible long jump to a wall to grab.

Love it.

Right? Honestly I never thought I would, let alone in a DOOM game. But it just works, and really well!

I think the wall grabbing is a little finicky at times. Other than that, as much as I think they ruin the flow of the levels, they work well.

Yeah, there were maybe a handful of times where there was a slip, but for the most part it was A-OK. It was literally a single time here and there for me. Never multiple in a row or on the same segment. I get what you're saying about the flow of the levels, I just personally think that breath of fresh air can be really nice sometime, haha. There was never a point where I was like, "UGH, AGAIN?!"

Surprised at how well this runs in 4k on my 980ti... think I made the right choice going PC even though I'm sure performance is similar on the X1X.
It has that adaptive resolution option set on on from the start, so you're probably not getting true 4k all the time.
Just sayin.

Anyway, jesus christ are the Marauders a pain in the god damn ass. They ruin the whole flow of the combat, imo.

MastAndo

So how does id Software manage to pull this off, from a purely technical perspective when others fail so miserably? The game is the most responsive one I can recall playing in a long while, in terms of getting the game started and putting you back in the game after dying. If you're trying to make an addictive gameplay loop, this is crucial. Any actual "load" times are really quick too. All this considering the game is also gorgeous and runs like an absolute dream, even on my pedestrian hardware. I understand this isn't a vast open world game, but this is such a magnificent engine that makes for a great gameplay experience. I'm not as in love with the game as others, but I just wanted to pop in to give credit where credit is due.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Once you unlock a slayer gate can you go back to them from the ship, or do you have to go through the level and access them that way?

angelic

Banned
My still early feelings are that they've totally over complicated it. Shoulder grenades, flame belch, always ammo hunting, weak points, it refuses to let you just shoot demons. You can shoot about 2 or 3, but then you need to belch them for armour, saw them for ammo, melee them for health etc etc. It's all very well having a million options, but you're forced to swap through them constantly.

Oh and the analogue stick movement for strafing is too fast, I keep sidestepping too far when I shoot a demon, unlike the 1st game. Which this is not as good as.

Last edited:
Top Bottom