• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM ETERNAL PC REQUIREMENTS revealed --- [minimum seems beefy]

Um, we've known about this since June 2019.

-Microsoft's Head of Gaming, Phil Spencer

More here:
It's in German. Use translate.
*Practically*. I'm guessing you fell for it too. It will only save snapshots of the game you were in for quick resume. Not "virtual memory*, so it can't use the SSD like ram. Big difference, as it won't make up for physical memory. It's the same thing as putting your computer in hibernate mode, or how your phone saves a "screenshot" of the app you were in, when you switch back and forth between them. You shouldn't say RAM won't be an issue, because of the SSD, because that's not how it works, at ALL.

Phil's quote confirms this, as there is no SSD that comes close to ram access speeds. No where near it. And no one would use an SSD to supplement ram, as the SSD would fail in no time, and die to too many read/writes on the drive. There goes all the same games, game installs, profile, etc, because the SSD burned out for the 3rd time this year. That's what would happen if it was used like ram.

Last edited:

Md Ray

*Practically*. I'm guessing you fell for it too. It will only save snapshots of the game you were in for quick resume. Not "virtual memory*, so it can't use the SSD like ram. Big difference, as it won't make up for physical memory. It's the same thing as putting your computer in hibernate mode, or how your phone saves a "screenshot" of the app you were in, when you switch back and forth between them. You shouldn't say RAM won't be an issue, because of the SSD, because that's not how it works, at ALL.

Phil's quote confirms this, as there is no SSD that comes close to ram access speeds. No where near it. And no one would use an SSD to supplement ram, as the SSD would fail in no time, and die to too many read/writes on the drive. There goes all the same games, game installs, profile, etc, because the SSD burned out for the 3rd time this year. That's what would happen if it was used like ram.
I didn't fell for anything. And I couldn't care less about what they do with their SSD... I was just merely informing that they've been planning on using it as virtual memory.

Last edited:

Orta

Banned
Hmm. I meet the recommended requirements with one notable exception, I have a 1070 gpu however I play at 1080p.

If I could average 40 or so fps at high settings (minus high end effects) I'll be happy.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Yeah, DOOM is suppose to run on ancient technology. These specs max my PC card at the moment. My laptop sure as hell cant handle those min specs. I’m just sticking to the console versions.

I'm not surprised. The first game ran pretty bad on my GTX 660.

Recommended
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM

This is a current gen game being released in 2020. Almost everyone is ingoring it, but RAM is going to be a huge bottleneck for the next gen consoles going forward.

Developers will figure out what works and what doesn't. Rockstar managed to cram GTA V onto 512 MB of combined RAM.

pawel86ck

Banned

The thing is, SDD don't degrade when only reading data. Theorethically developers can use SDD as virtual RAM (not all assets needs ultra fast access) but the wear issue you have mentioned is real, therefore developers will use SDD speed mostly for streaming and still accomplish the same thing. They will be able to build bigger worlds and use mich higher quality textures with 40x straming speed improvement (what's interesting developers already mentioned bigger worlds and much higher 4000px quality textures in their PS5 games). You dont need to load everything into RAM with such fast SDD, however on PC developers will be forced to either lower assets quality or use more RAM, because very few people will have comparable SDD speed.

Last edited:
The thing is, SDD don't degrade when only reading data. Theorethically developers can use SDD as virtual RAM (not all assets needs ultra fast access) but the wear issue you have mentioned is real, therefore developers will use SDD speed mostly for streaming and still accomplish the same thing. They will be able to build bigger worlds and use mich higher quality textures with 40x straming speed improvement (what's interesting developers already mentioned bigger worlds and much higher 4000px quality textures in their PS5 games). You dont need to load everything into RAM with such fast SDD, however on PC developers will be forced to either lower assets quality or use more RAM, because very few people will have comparable SDD speed.
So what speeds are these ssd's running at, if I may ask? Everyone seems to run towards this, super fast ssd, that no one seems to be able to provide the specs of it. Have consoles ever had better cpu's, gpu's, storage speed, than anything launched around the same time? Pc's will continue to run the same games, from early on, till "next gen". Whether you have older or the latest and greatest hardware. Once a game has booted, everything is stored in the ram/vram. Everything else can be steamed from the storage device, as needed. Whether it be hdd or ssd. Nothing has changed since then.

In essence, there are LITERALLY not even a handful of games that absolutely require a ssd on PC, yet. Things may change, but to say pc games will either downgrade assets, or require more ram and what not, is crazy to say. The average pc gamer has 16gb of ram already. If 12/16gb of ram + 4gb of vram is the standard of consoles this gen, there is nothing to worry about. If some people want to upgrade, they can. If some don't feel the need to upgrade, they won't be left behind, or be unable to play games for the next few years.

Last edited:
I'm glad that I recently treated myself to another 16gb kit. I know this is not what you're reffering to, but I wanted to flex a bit.

oQGV82p.jpg

Get another 32 and you would be able to install them fully in ram itself during initial load.

pawel86ck

Banned
So what speeds are these ssd's running at, if I may ask? Everyone seems to run towards this, super fast ssd, that no one seems to be able to provide the specs of it. Have consoles ever had better cpu's, gpu's, storage speed, than anything launched around the same time? Pc's will continue to run the same games, from early on, till "next gen". Whether you have older or the latest and greatest hardware. Once a game has booted, everything is stored in the ram/vram. Everything else can be steamed from the storage device, as needed. Whether it be hdd or ssd. Nothing has changed since then.

In essence, there are LITERALLY not even a handful of games that absolutely require a ssd on PC, yet. Things may change, but to say pc games will either downgrade assets, or require more ram and what not, is crazy to say. The average pc gamer has 16gb of ram already. If 12/16gb of ram + 4gb of vram is the standard of consoles this gen, there is nothing to worry about. If some people want to upgrade, they can. If some don't feel the need to upgrade, they won't be left behind, or be unable to play games for the next few years.
Absolutely, xbox classic has launched when still the best GPU on PC was geforce 3, yet xbox was using geforce 4 prototype (two vertex shaders instead of one). The same with xbox 360 (first GPU with unified shaders) one year before PC GPUs started using the same feature.

Yes, on PC currently there arent many games that require SDD, but we are not talking about old games, but new games build for next gen consoles, and both XSX and PS5 will have SDD.

How fast exactly XSX SDD is? XSX engineer told "Dealer" their console load sea of thieves level in 3-5 seconds. Later on Dealer made a comparison with his own PC and the same game load in 15 seconds on his Evo 970 PRO (3.5GB/s). I dont think XSX SDD speed will be 3x faster (10GB/s), however I have heard it will be not bottlenecked with decompression speed. What's the point of using 3.5GB/s SDD on PC, when decompression speed with bottleneck read speed anyway.

Last edited:
Absolutely, xbox classic has launched when still the best GPU on PC was geforce 3, yet xbox was using geforce 4 prototype (two vertex shaders instead of one). The same with xbox 360 (first GPU with unified shaders) one year before PC GPUs started using the same feature.

Yes, on PC currently there arnt many games that require SDD, but we are not talking about old games, but new games build for next gen consoles, and both XSX and PS5 will have SDD.

How fast exactly XSX SDD is? XSX engineer told "Dealer" their console load sea of thieves level in 3-5 seconds. Later on Dealer made a comparison with his own PC and the same game need 15 seconds on his Evo 970 PRO (3.5GB/s). It's not like XSX SDD will be 3x faster (10GB/s), but i just optimized for games (I have heard decompression speed will be no longer a bottleneck).

Was over a decade before pc modders got Splinter Cell 1 and 2 PC versions to work as originally designed (lights/shadows) for the most part.

pawel86ck

Banned
Was over a decade before pc modders got Splinter Cell 1 and 2 PC versions to work as originally designed (lights/shadows) for the most part.
Shadow buffer effects worked on Geforce 3-5 GPU's, but 6 series was no longer using shadow buffer technology. Currently you need wrapper like dgvoodoo in order to run splinter cell games correctly. You can also build period correct PC, but even geforce 5 has performance problems in this game, it was EXTREMELY demanding game, and my geforce 3 ti500 128MB run it only at 800x600 and performance was still really bad (around 25fps).

Last edited:
Shadow buffer effects worked on Geforce 3-5 GPU's, but 6 series was no longer using shadow buffer technology. Currently you need wrapper like dgvoodoo in order to run splinter cell games correctly. You can also build period correct PC, but even geforce 5 has performance problems in this game, it was EXTREMELY demanding game, and my geforce 3 ti500 128MB run it only at 800x600 and performance was still really bad (20-25fps).

Are you...Phil?

Last edited:

Kenpachii

People need to realize medium specs are 1440p ultra

Ultra on doom 2016 on PC uses high end textures that will consume up to 6gb of v-ram at that resolution. A 970 never was a 1440p card its a 1080p card and big chance u will see higher textures push forwards which would make the 970 not usable for 1440p ultra doom gaming.

U can see how they specifically mention 1060 6gb and not the 3gb model which is equaly as fast and faster then a 970 for sure. Because v-ram.

Otherwise they would have said 980, 1060 etc. but they didn't.

I am sure u will be able to play the game at 1080p perfectly fine on a weaker GPU then a 1080 at 60 fps

Last edited:

Xdrive05

People need to realize medium specs are 1440p ultra

Ultra on doom 2016 on PC uses high end textures that will consume up to 6gb of v-ram at that resolution. A 970 never was a 1440p card its a 1080p card and big chance u will see higher textures push forwards which would make the 970 not usable for 1440p ultra doom gaming.

U can see how they specifically mention 1060 6gb and not the 3gb model which is equaly as fast and faster then a 970 for sure. Because v-ram.

Otherwise they would have said 980, 1060 etc. but they didn't.

I am sure u will be able to play the game at 1080p perfectly fine on a weaker GPU then a 1080 at 60 fps

It’s a small point, but the 970 only has 512mb more VRAM than the 1060 3GB (at usable speed anyway). Seems hard to believe a 970 is g2g but a 1060 3GB, a faster card clearly, wouldn’t be.

@All: Any idea when the updated specs will be posted?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
It’s a small point, but the 970 only has 512mb more VRAM than the 1060 3GB (at usable speed anyway). Seems hard to believe a 970 is g2g but a 1060 3GB, a faster card clearly, wouldn’t be.

thanks for correcting him

Kenpachii

I will word it differently then.

It needs more then 3gb of v-ram on the GPU front which makes 4gb cards. Same result.

Last edited:

Xdrive05

I will word it differently then.

It needs more then 3gb of v-ram on the GPU front which makes 4gb cards. Same result.

I’m open to that being the case, I just highly doubt it. Again, base consoles with their, what, 5.x GB total of usable RAM for games will run D:E at 60fps with great looking settings, but the PC version on LOW requires 4GB of VRAM only? It just doesn’t pass the smell test.

My money’s on overly conservative system requirements written to reflect popular cards in use, even if generations old, like the gtx 970, and they are not written to be technically accurate to what the game can actually do with actual cards. And then hopefully that is why they pulled the requirements and are rewriting them.

Kenpachii

I’m open to that being the case, I just highly doubt it. Again, base consoles with their, what, 5.x GB total of usable RAM for games will run D:E at 60fps with great looking settings, but the PC version on LOW requires 4GB of VRAM only? It just doesn’t pass the smell test.

My money’s on overly conservative system requirements written to reflect popular cards in use, even if generations old, like the gtx 970, and they are not written to be technically accurate to what the game can actually do with actual cards. And then hopefully that is why they pulled the requirements and are rewriting them.

Presets like low mostly effects all settings.

Low preset could put textures to low. So if textures require more at medium then 4gb of v-ram ( more then 3gb ) yes a 970 is what u will need for it.

If that wasn't the case why advertise with low and a 970 instead of a older 3gb card same for AMD. U just cut costumers. They are really going out of there way to tell you 4gb is the minimum as even the 1060 is specifically pointed out as 6gb model.

Whatever ends up happening at the end who knows tho, they could be bullshitting entirely but the specs and requirements make sense to me.

About consoles, consoles will most likely use a downgraded version from the PC version then. I believe they only have ~5gb to play with. Game probably scales well. I could see however for PC they put the bar higher to push more stuff forwards. but who knows.

Last edited:
UPDATE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!
https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-eternal-system-requirements-and-unlock-times-revealed/

Here are the UPDATED requirements

Minimum (1080p/60 fps/Low Quality Settings):

• Processor:  Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better, or AMD Ryzen 3 @ 3.1 GHz or better
  • Memory: 8 GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 1050Ti (4GB), GTX 1060 (3GB), GTX 1650 (4GB), or AMD Radeon R9 280 (3GB), AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB) or RX 470 (4GB)
  • Storage: 50 GB available space
Recommended (1440p/60 fps/High Quality Settings):

• Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K or better, or AMD Ryzen 7 1800X or better
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB), RTX 2060 (6GB) or AMD Radeon RX Vega56 (8GB)
  • Or: (1080p/ 60 FPS / High Quality Settings) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), Nvidia GeForce 970 (4GB), AMD RX 480 (8GB) Note : On GTX 970 only - set Texture Quality to Medium
PC Ultra-Nightmare (2160p/60 fps/Ultra-Nightmare Settings) OR (1440p/120 fps/Ultra-Nightmare Settings):

• Processor: Intel Core i9-9900K or better, or AMD Ryzen 7 3700X or better
  • Memory: 16GB RAM
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti (11GB)
  • Storage: 50 GB hard drive space

I'll update the OP as well.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

UPDATE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!
https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-eternal-system-requirements-and-unlock-times-revealed/

• Processor:  Intel Core i5 @ 3.3 GHz or better, or AMD Ryzen 3 @ 3.1 GHz or better
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce 1050Ti (4GB), GTX 1060 (3GB), GTX 1650 (4GB), or AMD Radeon R9 280 (3GB), AMD Radeon R9 290 (4GB) or RX 470 (4GB)

• Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 (8GB), RTX 2060 (6GB) or AMD Radeon RX Vega56 (8GB)
  • Or: (1080p/ 60 FPS / High Quality Settings) Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 (6GB), Nvidia GeForce 970 (4GB), AMD RX 480 (8GB) Note : On GTX 970 only - set Texture Quality to Medium
PC Ultra-Nightmare (2160p/60 fps/Ultra-Nightmare Settings) OR (1440p/120 fps/Ultra-Nightmare Settings):

Dam that's some serious nightmare requirements..

Last edited:

Stuart360

UPDATE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!

Nice, i should be able to hit 1080p/60 with a mix of high and ultra on my PC.

Last edited:

TUROK

Mannnn, I can't decide whether to get it on One X or PC.

I have a GTX 1080 (non Ti) so high at 1440p seems to be what I'll experience, but I wonder what settings the X will run at equivalently.

And it seems like there MIGHT be mod support this time but nothing's confirmed.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Mannnn, I can't decide whether to get it on One X or PC.

I have a GTX 1080 (non Ti) so high at 1440p seems to be what I'll experience, but I wonder what settings the X will run at equivalently.

And it seems like there MIGHT be mod support this time but nothing's confirmed.
I doubt the OneX will be running the game much higher than 1440p itself, and almost certainly at lower settings than your 1080 will provide.

Xdrive05

Ah! Much more like it, and more informative this time too. This does seem like a demanding game, but justifiably so given the end result.

I should be good for 1080p High with ye olde GTX 980 4GB (maybe medium textures at worst—hopefully that was because of the 3.5GB issue on the 970 specifically).

Any word if the game comes with a benchmarking tool? It’d be nice to test out settings before starting the campaign.

Last edited:

Nvzman

I want to note to everyone here that if Wolfenstein II (and the unused DOOM code) is of any indication, there will probably be a dynamic resolution option on PC. While many of you most likely don't care about this, as someone who plays at 144hz this will probably come very much in handy. If its anything like Wolfenstein's inclusion, it will be really good at keeping a locked framerate with pretty good looking settings without compromising too much.

Top Bottom