• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Franchise Community Thread: That's one doomed space marine!

TUROK

I don't know if you can ever recapture what made Doom and Doom 2 so special. Doom 3 certainly didn't do it.
Of course not. The FPS market was new. There wasn't much, if any competition. You can't blaze the trail for FPSes, wait 10-20 years and do it again. If you try it, you'll end up like Duke Nukem Forever, trying to hit a moving target that's exponentially faster than you are.

Doom 4 probably isn't going to change the FPS landscape, and nobody should expect it to.

I'm sure everyone has their idea on what they'd like Doom 4 to be like, and I obviously have mine. I'd quite fancy a logical progression from Doom 64. Atmospheric, dark, gritty, scary. No metal ripoffs blaring in the background. Minimal NPC's. None of that bullshit about resistance members or what have you. It should be a one-man show. I wouldn't mind if the game was linear or semi-linear, as long as the combat arenas were varied. The aesthetic needs to be more Doom and less Doom 3. No fire and brimstone, but rather an industrial hell. Rusty pipes flowing with blood, architecture made of flesh and bone, human body parts as decour.

Shit, I dunno, I'd just like the feeling of going up against Hell again, struggling, and triumphantly giving it the middle finger.

Raptomex

Ah. That's where we differ. I would love a run and gun sequel to some heavy metal. But I do love Doom 64.

I'd also like to point out that the lack of Hell environments in Doom 3 was really disappointing. You go there once, twice if you count Cyberdemon. It could of helped alleviate the repetitive design of the base.

Raptomex

I actually think Rage was a really bad implementation of a good idea for what the future of Doom could have been.

A new Doom should be traveling around on a world map, with vehicles, events occurring around you, things that let you finally see what the original story told you was happening outside of the bases and labrynths. And have that part involve co-op, preferably drop in, drop out.

The. Have that world covered in various bases, entrances to undergroin hellscapes, etc. And those are based on the actual principles of Doom map design. It would be much like finding dungeons in a cRPG. You adventure on the over world, get supplies, talk to people. Then you hit the dungeon and it's unforgiving, labrynthine, something that requires preparation to tackle.

That's where Rage went wrong. The shooting was fine but the maps were terrible. Nothing special at all. And the over world was too static. There was no excitement there. It felt like a really tedious hub world rather than the other half of a game.
Yes. I think Rage would have been better as just a linear shooter.

How real men play Doom 2:
howclintplaysdoom_7kcf7.gif

(from this review of a controller designed for pinball)

TUROK

Ah. That's where we differ. I would love a run and gun sequel to some heavy metal. But I do love Doom 64.

I'd also like to point out that the lack of Hell environments in Doom 3 was really disappointing. You go there once, twice if you count Cyberdemon. It could of helped alleviate the repetitive design of the base.
The Lost Mission's Hell levels were actually pretty awesome, design-wise. Resurrection of Evil had some cool ones too. But in original Doom 3, they definitely were. Too stereotypical. Like the type of Hell you saw in a Simpsons episode.

Some tips for making your own wad:

Get yourself Slade 3
This allows you to open up wad files and make your own.

Doom Builder 2 for making maps.
Really easy to use.

Zdoom wiki
Resources for nearly everything. Need to know the DECORATE code for a weapon? It's there.

I'd love to get back into making my mod, but I'd likely start from scratch. I ought record a playthrough and post it here.

Whatever happens, they better avoid relying on hitscan overdosing to ramp up the difficulty, as that really does piss people off. I think a game where Doomguy somehow gets summoned into a netherworld he hasn't yet encountered would work, although the developers would need to avoid having everything resemble Quake. More emphasis on physics (bring back bunny hopping and make rocket jumping damage negligible?) would give off this sensation that you can already do anything, but the enemies you're fighting are equally capable. Doom IV, that way, could be just as agile as the id originals and still do something new and "visceral" for the series. Towards the end of the game, there'd be more room for players to either go gung-ho against the enemy (slaughter-style sections of maps) or duel with boss mooks in closed quarters, both of which provide different risks. It's pretty important to implement infighting, too, as that would add a complex element lacking in most modern FPSes.

Raptomex

Some tips for making your own wad:

Get yourself Slade 3
This allows you to open up wad files and make your own.

Doom Builder 2 for making maps.
Really easy to use.

Zdoom wiki
Resources for nearly everything. Need to know the DECORATE code for a weapon? It's there.

I'd love to get back into making my mod, but I'd likely start from scratch. I ought record a playthrough and post it here.
Already in the OP. But thank you. After following the tutorials for DOOM builder 2, it really is incredible just how easy it is to use.

Zdoom wiki
Speaking as somebody who's a big proponent of ZDoom, that's kind of a bit presumptuous. A lot of WADs made these days are deliberately designed at a lower level of complexity - vanilla-compatible (no visplane overflows and all), for limit-removing ports (would probably cause visplane overflows in vanilla) or Boom-compatible (adds a bunch of tweaked and custom linedef specials) - so that more source ports than ones directly based on ZDoom can play the WAD in question.

For non-ZDoom WADs, the Doom wiki is your destination of choice. (Not the Wikia. The wiki used to be on the Wikia, but changed hosts and moved to the URL I linked. ikia wouldn't let them shut the old site down, and because Google loves shoving Wikia pages in people's faces during searches, the thing's sort of an undead zombie wiki. So yeah, don't use it.)

the problem is like the Master Race joke, people are now not taking it as an exaggerated joke but some salient point.

The master race joke wasn't really making a point other than putting down console gamers. This image is making a point about game design based on evidence, and having a sense of humor about it.

G-Fex

Holy crap King Dime just captured the Plutonia World Record at 29:29. That's amazing.

here is right here

http://www.twitch.tv/kingdime/b/507123012

Starts about 1:55:20 in

I'm not even sure what a Doom 4 could even be. No matter what, they can't capture that lightning in a bottle that was the original release. id have been pretty much irrelevant since the turn of the century, only releasing two games to somewhat middling reactions in the face of the 90s Doom and Quake games. I'm afraid Doom 4 will just be another shooting game, probably with demons that shoot with a shotgun, perhaps a double barrel variety.

Just lookin' at their output the last decade or so and the development hell the game's been trapped in, I just have zero faith it will be anything special. But I guess I should save some of this manly rugged pessimism for when we actually see it.

I'm going to absolutely agree with JC here.

I'm not holding out any real hope for new Doom

Anyone know of good gameplay mods for Doom (aside from Brutal Doom)? I like these Doom with a twist things.
Samsara's my go-to gameplay mod. It's basically still Doom, but you get tons of classic FPS heroes to choose from, complete with their arsenals (albeit tweaked slightly here and there). If you've ever wanted to play Doom as Duke Nukem, there you go. Heretic as the Doom guy, sure. Chex Quest as the Security Officer from Marathon, why not. Also lets you play deathmatch with different classes going up against one another, so there's that perk, too.

Project MSX has been making the rounds recently, and it's quite exciting. New HUD, ludicrous alt-fires, loads of proximity explosives to clear out with, and multiple ways to speed across maps at a ridiculous click—you're playing Super Doomguy in this one! As with any mod, some maps are better fit for this experience, or is it the other way around? I mean, I've seen the Samsara modder's Metroid WIP and it's nowhere near as silly as MSX.

Speaking of mods, I got into Doom playing Cutman Mike's Mega Man TC, which is definitely something to check out regardless of the spamfest. The sprite enemies and overall pixelated look actually feels most innate to this engine than t'would be for any other.

Dylstew

Neo Member
I don't know if you can ever recapture what made Doom and Doom 2 so special. Doom 3 certainly didn't do it. However, John Carmack is a genius when it comes to programming and since he is no longer part of id that could mean Doom may never be the same. However, if they stay away from the immense focus on horror and more on running and gunning with Doom 4, I think it could be amazing. id has always implemented great shooting mechanics and now we can see how they do without John. The AI wasn't too shabby in Rage either so maybe some decent AI will come along as well.

As for level design, I was never a fan of the big open levels in Doom 2. The game really wasn't designed for that, or so it feels. The enemies can pretty much hit you from anywhere, especially the zombie soldiers. It's more about corridors and rooms. Now the days of keycards seem to be over and platforming in FPS games as well minus a few. Duke Nukem Forever is a perfect example of attempting 90s mechanics, and even that game would have been bad in the 90s. One of my gripes with Doom 3 was everything began to look the same. I got lost more in Doom 3 then I ever did in the original games. Needless to say the levels were more interesting in the original games, too.

What do you think of my idea of adding IDE and Doomseeker to the OP and telling them how to play sourceports online? More players would always be a good thing, even if it's just a few.

Gotta love Clint, the LGR :3.

My Chocolate Doom's acting up on me, so I set my ZDoom controls to default and got back to work. Rebinding the strafe keys nearer to the arrows is all I've altered, and it makes a big difference: I strafe much better now! Id nailed the momentum for this game, as strafe is so spookily useful for getting just the right shot in these maps. These controls have made E1M9 genuinely exciting! If there weren't night vision goggles lying in secret for Phobos Lab's blackout segment, I'd be in bigger trouble than ever before...

G-Fex

I'm experiencing problems too I think.

It feels like when I'm trying to practice in PrBOOM+ that I move like too fast and I get caught up in walls and it really feels weird.

mokeyjoe

Are there any decent source ports for Android? I downloaded one which seemed to run OK (Doom Touch I think) but I kept getting stuck in the menus. I think it was expecting an external keyboard or something.

Are there any decent source ports for Android? I downloaded one which seemed to run OK (Doom Touch I think) but I kept getting stuck in the menus. I think it was expecting an external keyboard or something.
I've been playing "Doom by Eltechs", which is based on vanilla Ubuntu Chocolate Doom according to the description. It's free and the controls work well enough for lower difficulty levels. I'm playing on a Samsung Galaxy Blaze and it runs ok. Not sure about controller or mouse support though.

Raptomex

What do you think of my idea of adding IDE and Doomseeker to the OP and telling them how to play sourceports online? More players would always be a good thing, even if it's just a few.

Gotta love Clint, the LGR :3.
Fine with me. But I hit the character limit. I need to find a way to add more. Thinking of just creating posts I can link to.

daedalius

Just finished Doom 2 with Brutal, good lord what a different experience than what it was like when it was new.

Brutal makes me want to replay everything doom related.

It would be cool if id added Steam Workshop support for their games(Valve needs to do it for their Half-Life games as well). But I wonder how Source Ports would work?

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Great OP! Doom will always be one of my favorite games of all time. Have lost so many countless hours playing it.

I just beat Congestion 1024 today on Ultra Violence which was absolutely insane. It's amazing the amount of detail the mappers fit into small spaces.
I prefer Congestion 64 myself...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSgYRD1m5ro

They keep each level faithful to the original's feel. It's well worth playing through seeing as it will only take you about 15-20 minutes to complete.

G-Fex

I just completed Episode 1 of Doom the way ID did.

I really liked it but is it just me or did the Ep 1 levels seem really kinda big and complex, I found myself getting pretty lost a few times.

Doom is probably my favorite franchise next to Metroid but it pains me to see how poorly id has managed the property. There's so much great potential and rich mythology. All just squandered.

SHL23

Banned
Doom is probably my favorite franchise next to Metroid but it pains me to see how poorly id has managed the property. There's so much great potential and rich mythology. All just squandered.

F*** mythology. I wanna run around at 100mph shooting shit and finding keys

G-Fex

Yeah.

Thing is that Doom should be brought back via non-AAA title like say Blood Dragon or Call of Juarez. It wasn't really mean't to be like the new modern games with the cutscenes and all that stuff. It might really work well that way.

And then I heard those GiantBomb guys talking about a modernized Doom and it was hard to listen to cause they don't really know much about Doom besides a "shotgun" and "demons"

They have the same exact content. I use whatever shows up in Google first.
They do not. The Wikia was the Doom wiki, but they moved, and the Wikia couldn't be closed. It only shows up first in Google searches because Google pushes Wikia heavily.

If you want up-to-date info, you don't use the Wikia. Period.

And then I heard those GiantBomb guys talking about a modernized Doom and it was hard to listen to cause they don't really know much about Doom besides a "shotgun" and "demons"
Shit, everyone's like this, even Ross Scott and Total Biscuit. Doom is more than rip and tear! You don't get to adopt for yourselves what we batter around ironically, gosh. The amount of tactical action and mazing around is unheard of in modern games.

inm8num2

Please tell me I am not the only person who read these books.

9780671525552.jpg
It-Came-From-The-90s----Who-Else-Read-Those-Terrible-Doom-Books.jpg

There were others but I only bought/read those two. Decent reads for people who wanted a Doom fix back in the day.

G-Fex

Shit, everyone's like this, even Ross Scott and Total Biscuit. Doom is more than rip and tear! You don't get to adopt for yourselves what we batter around ironically, gosh. The amount of tactical action and mazing around is unheard of in modern games.
Yeah it's pretty sad that people really completely miss the depth, gameplay, mapped out marvels and all that.

Oh well whatever
Please tell me I am not the only person who read these books.

9780671525552.jpg
It-Came-From-The-90s----Who-Else-Read-Those-Terrible-Doom-Books.jpg

There were others but I only bought/read those two. Decent reads for people who wanted a Doom fix back in the day.
I'd like to read them. After all I liked the resident evil 1 book.

I was surprised to see an old Quake 1 thread bumped back to the front page—still haven't played the game, though I bet Pop still has the CD lying around somewhere...

Grayman

I was surprised to see an old Quake 1 thread bumped back to the front page—still haven't played the game, though I bet Pop still has the CD lying around somewhere...

Quake one is pretty darn awesome. While some people don't like it as much as doom it is one of the cloest games to doom ever made.

Top Bottom