• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Game Informer Details

MiguelItUp

Maybe you don't realize it, but this isn't saying much. doom 3 was not a DooM game at all.

This looks like it will possibly be a decent game, but still not DooM. Whish they didn't call it so just to abuse the brand and its popularity.

No, I do, and I disagree. I feel like it definitely was. Sure, DOOM 3 was filled with monster closets among other things that made it much different and less DOOM-like. However there were still moments of hectic claustrophobia filled with waves of multiple enemies at once. Especially when played on higher difficulties. That's a shame, what I see looks more like DOOM than DOOM 3. Well, and a DOOM game that's potentially worthy of the name.

As long as SnapMap is easy to use, it's going to be awesome. Map editors on consoles are all too rare. Timesplitters was the last great one in that it let you create single player or MP maps with bots.

ElTopo

Banned
Why are they resistant to mod tools? Fallout and Elder Scrolls had mods for PC and that greatly extended the life of those games and brought them money. Seems like a weird thing to remove.

"Enemies have weak point, ex. the pinky demon is armored in front and soft in the butt"

Are they literally armoured in this game in the front? Is there a shot of them yet? That sounds really annoying. heh.

Mexen

Pinky got nothing on these buttocks

hqdefault14o1l.jpg

Well played. LOL

Lanrutcon

Very little of what they're saying inspires any confidence.

And no mod support? People will be playing Doom 1 & 2 long after this thing has been released.

Nazo

It all sounds pretty good to me. The lack of proper mod support is really lame though. I kind of understand why they'ed wan't to do that I just think its a bad move on their part.

jett

D-Member
I knew this alleged "new" engine would be based on IT5. Something about the texturework just reminds me of that awfulness. I don't have high hopes of this running well on AMD.

It all sounds pretty good to me. The lack of proper mod support is really lame though. I kind of understand why they'ed wan't to do that I just think its a bad move on their part.

It will really hurt the longevity of the game. I like the idea of SnapMap for consoles. However, it is far too restricted for PC gamers. The fact that you they don't support exterior environments and importing/editing of assets really hurts it. It really limits creativity. However, I don't doubt that some SnapMap creations may be awesome.

I knew this alleged "new" engine would be based on IT5. Something about the texturework just reminds me of that awfulness. I don't have high hopes of this running well on AMD.

I think that it will be a huge install. I assume that they are still using mega textures. Also, I think it will be using Dynamic framebuffer on consoles. I can't imagine this game running at 1080p 60fps at all times on consoles especially X1.

Some new info from the article:

• BFG and Chainsaw aren't on the weapon wheel since they're used in specific scenarios, Chainsaw is on D-Pad down and BFG is on X. Seems like they're treating the BFG as a panic button.
  • On-screen enemy count isn't numbered but described as "a demon avalanche", "bloodbath"
  • Chainsaw is a one hit kill on most enemies, multiple on bigger enemies like the Mancubus, power cells are limited
  • Permanent character upgrades that allow you to swap weapons and mantle more quickly, increase ammo and health capacity
  • Swappable perk "runes", ex. one gives you a stackable temp speed boost after melee kills
  • Enemies have weak point, ex. the pinky demon is armored in front and soft in the butt
  • Namedrops of old Doom WADs followed by statement implying that they won't be releasing mod tools outside of SnapMap because of accessibility

Whatever small amount of excitement I did have left for a possibly cool new Doom game after the eternity of a wait just keeps dropping every time new information is released.

New screenshots look just as generic and uninspired as always, piss filter or not. What the hell happened to all the cyber-satanic, hellish imagery? The stuff they've shown looks more like a slightly naughty Gears Of War bestiary, just looked at the Cyber Demon.

I've already bitched about the game enough in a different thread, but I've been a die hard Doom fan for so long that the way this appears to be turning out stings a bit.

nadnerb 64

Neo Member
I am glad to see these old pinnacle FPS franchises getting the treatment they deserve. First Wolfenstein, now possibly Doom (tentative until played). Who knows? Maybe we will get a new Quake game that is good as well (unlike Quake 4)

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
I am glad to see these old pinnacle FPS franchises getting the treatment they deserve. First Wolfenstein, now possibly Doom (tentative until played). Who knows? Maybe we will get a new Quake game that is good as well (unlike Quake 4)

Objection your honour. Quake 4 is a great game and well underrated.

MiguelItUp

Objection your honour. Quake 4 is a great game and well underrated.

I honestly didn't think Quake IV was that bad by any means. I mean, I found it solid enough to complete! I will say that a lot of it felt like a DOOM 3 mod / expansion though IMO. I was kind of hoping for an experience that wasn't SO similar. I would love to see a new Quake though, even a reboot of the first game. Love-craftian and all! :D

lazygecko

I used to consider Quake 4 the archetype of the dull average modern FPS before CoD took the crown. Walking through those trenches at the start with the big scripted battles occuring outside of the game boundaries was a pivotal moment when I realized that all those fancy setpieces did absolutely nothing for me. Of course that kind of design would become what the genre increasingly centered itself around.

Whatever small amount of excitement I did have left for a possibly cool new Doom game after the eternity of a wait just keeps dropping every time new information is released.

New screenshots look just as generic and uninspired as always, piss filter or not. What the hell happened to all the cyber-satanic, hellish imagery? The stuff they've shown looks more like a slightly naughty Gears Of War bestiary, just looked at the Cyber Demon.

I've already bitched about the game enough in a different thread, but I've been a die hard Doom fan for so long that the way this appears to be turning out stings a bit.

Looks pretty "satanic" to me, I think the imagery is just kind of played out now, its not shocking anymore and I'm not sure what else they could add to make it more satanic, baphomet like creatures maybe? More pentagrams? A bit of inspiration from Slayer album covers?

lazygecko

Looks pretty "satanic" to me, I think the imagery is just kind of played out now, its not shocking anymore and I'm not sure what else they could add to make it more satanic, baphomet like creatures maybe? More pentagrams? A bit of inspiration from Slayer album covers?

The satanic architecture/imagery in the original Doom is interesting cause it's not just steretoypical fire and brimstone. There's also lots of wood, marble, ornate candles and pillars and such.

The satanic architecture/imagery in the original Doom is interesting cause it's not just steretoypical fire and brimstone. There's also lots of wood, marble, ornate candles and pillars and such.

Agreed and to elaborate on my previous post, I just wish they would experiment with that Satanic imagery and push it artistically and not just drop it because it's 'played out' or anything. I'm not a designer, I'm just a fan, but for example while I believe the original Doom was already inspired by H.R. Giger, something like this combined with the vivid modern graphics that their engine offers would be intense:

205915-22087.jpg

Not saying to copy it and just throwing an example out there, but there are plenty of avenues with someone with artistic vision at the helm where it wouldn't have had to devolve into this generic stuff. As primitive as it might look nowadays, the art direction in the original Doom is still unique and crazy looking to this day.

The chainsaw being a OHK on most enemies sounds really lame. I'd much rather it act the same way it did in the original DOOM games. Hell, they could even go crazy with it and allow you to slice in different directions to take off limbs, ala Shadow Warrior's sword. After all, how many games allow you to use a chainsaw like a fucking sword? That would've been incredibly awesome. It just seems like a missed opportunity to me, and most likely means we'll be treated to the same handful of "kill" animations every time we use the chainsaw.

Everything else sounds pretty good, though, besides the lack of mod tools. I'm especially glad the colored keycards are making a return, and that there will be secret areas to find!

More info from GI: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...badass-moments-from-our-hands-on-session.aspx

And some additional bullet points

• Another named section/level of UAC, Resource Operations
  • An alternate version of the Mancubus was described, this one with flamethrowers. Assuming this in addition to the plasma shooting one as seen in the E3 footage
  • Possessed Engineer enemy type, a former human with an explosive fuel pack that causes chain reactions
  • Reiterating that there are a lot of small secret areas
  • The Baron of Hell is another playable demon in multiplayer, joining the Revenant. He has a melee swipe and an AOE ground pound
  • SnapMap inspired by Garage Band, more stupid shit about not wanting to do mods traditionally
  • Lots of SnapMap tutorials included
  • Monster AI can be assigned to teams in SnapMap, can fight along side player

4Qxlnwm.jpg

That last point made me think about monster infighting and how I don't believe it's been shown or mentioned before. That was a great mechanic in the originals and seems like it would fit in well in this one...

2 concerns:

-Enemies having "weak points" can actually be a very bad thing. The speed and frantic pace of shooting in doom was not about being super accurate, but about movement, dodging, crowd management (like shmups), and causing infighting. If you have a crowd of pinkies and you can't shoot their butts, then I see potential for terrible combat pacing and balance.

-Lack of mod support is absolutely stupid and shameful. Doom 1 & 2 are still kicking today because people did not have to rely on dumbed down layman tools, but could morph and shape the game and it's engine as time has progressed. The WADS that have been released in the last 5 years is stunning and creative.

EDIT:
Game informers video really got me pumped though...The fact that they aren't even putting in reloads is amazing.

Newboi

If ID Tech 6 is a continuation of ID Tech 5, then megatextures would probably be a huge reason why ID is shying away from releasing full on modding tools. I'm guessing modders would need to be able to bake and properly process their own megatextures, which would be severally prohibitive.

Regardless of if the above is true, having a strong modding community goes a long way to massively increasing the lifespan of your product while encouraging new purchases. Having a great modding community and Steam Workshop support has made Zenmiax Elder Scrolls and Fallout titles RIDICULOUS amounts of money.

If ID Tech 6 is a continuation of ID Tech 5, then megatextures would probably be a huge reason why ID is shying away from releasing full on modding tools. I'm guessing modders would need to be able to bake and properly process their own megatextures, which would be severally prohibitive.

Regardless of if the above is true, having a strong modding community goes a long way to massively increasing the lifespan of your product while encouraging new purchases. Having a great modding community and Steam Workshop support has made Zenmiax Elder Scrolls and Fallout titles RIDICULOUS amounts of money.

I'm thinking along these lines too. Megatextures require texture atlas and lots of offline processing, it isn't easy.

Skab

That last point made me think about monster infighting and how I don't believe it's been shown or mentioned before. That was a great mechanic in the originals and seems like it would fit in well in this one...

Infighting was confirmed back at the closed quakecon demo they gave.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member

I'm thinking along these lines too. Megatextures require texture atlas and lots of offline processing, it isn't easy.

The thing is there are mod tools for RAGE on the PC already so I'm surprised they can't at least alter those to release to the community assuming idtech 6 hasn't been a complete and redone overhaul.

If any modding community is going to (and perfectly capable) mess with complicated mod tools it's the Doom modding community.

Ixion

I think iD is just bullshitting us regarding mods. They want the whole community using SnapMap for a while, so that console users are 100% included. But a year or two after release, I bet full PC modding will be a thing.

Anywho, you guys should check out the first 15 minutes of the new Game Informer podcast. The dude who visited iD really raves about DOOM, and he said some interesting things:

• Everyone at iD plays DOOM with a controller
  • The story is told as you're playing, and he used Dead Space as a comparison
  • The glory kills work well because they give the player brief reprieves amid large, chaotic battles
  • Blue/yellow/red keycards and doors are used throughout the levels, but they're more spaced out than the original games. The game is not a "keycard simulator" like the original games, but they're definitly used to either progress to the next area or backtrack and find secrets

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Why are they resistant to mod tools? Fallout and Elder Scrolls had mods for PC and that greatly extended the life of those games and brought them money. Seems like a weird thing to remove.

I think it's because the Rage version of id Studio took several months longer to release than originally planned and virtually nothing ever came of it, so from Bethesda's perspective doing the same with Doom isn't justifiable -- the PR-speak about wanting to keep user-generated content a level playing field is more palatable than, "Sorry, but we don't think PC content creators are worth the effort." Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and Bethesda will have a change of heart at some point in the future.

Nizz

Is this going to be 60fps on PS4/X-Box One? That's what I want to know and I've seen no mention of it. Wolfenstein:TNO ran very, very well on PS4.

EraErr0r1

Still waiting for the "Doom Guy's Face" to gracefully return to the HUD where it belongs. Just not the same without it and there's plenty of potential mew ways to implement it. Would also be a neat idea to have custom "head avatars" that display the damage taken on your own face while playing online.

[*] Permanent character upgrades that allow you to swap weapons and mantle more quickly, increase ammo and health capacity

Basically, Wolfenstein The New Order.

Still waiting for the "Doom Guy's Face" to gracefully return to the HUD where it belongs. Just not the same without it and there's plenty of potential mew ways to implement it. Would also be a neat idea to have custom "head avatars" that display the damage taken on your own face while playing online.
The could ask for MachineGames to model the face. They did the best job ever with BJ in Wolfenstein, even if its only used fro the difficulty settings and, obviously, the cutscenes.

Metal-Geo

My idea was to have Doom Guy's face appear during the weapon wheel. Reflecting on the screen. Not unlike Samus' reflection in Metroid Prime 3.

But I doubt id caught me ever pitching that idea. Let alone use it. :V

ElTopo

Banned
I think it's because the Rage version of id Studio took several months longer to release than originally planned and virtually nothing ever came of it, so from Bethesda's perspective doing the same with Doom isn't justifiable -- the PR-speak about wanting to keep user-generated content a level playing field is more palatable than, "Sorry, but we don't think PC content creators are worth the effort." Who knows, maybe we'll get lucky and Bethesda will have a change of heart at some point in the future.

I think that they will add mod tools or support fan-made mod tools at some point. Obviously Bethesda isn't resistant to mods. You may be right, they don't want to invest the time and money to make the tools available but they'll allow fans to do the work for them.

Top Bottom