• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom Game Informer Details

Everything sounds solid. The alpha was great on the ps4. Don't know why people are getting their panties in a bunch due to developers using controllers mostly (they are at their computers the majority of the day).

Newboi

The fact that they apparently use a controller almost exclusively makes me sick to my stomach.

I love my Halo, but a fast paced shooter needs a mouse for unlocked potential. This almost certainly means that it's being designed with a controller in the forefront of their minds. This means that it won't play like classic doom.

I hope I'm wrong.

Well technically, classic Doom was designed with only keyboard in mind. Mouse look didn't come until much later.

I think Wolfenstein: The New Order played fantastically on the PC and that game was designed from the ground up to be played well with a controller.

GooeyHeat

Well technically, classic Doom was designed with only keyboard in mind. Mouse look didn't come until much later.
That's a really good point. Both the original games on keyboard and modern shooters on controllers are mainly limited by a fixed turning speed, but if both were designed with that in mind, it shouldn't be a problem at all. I know I played plenty of Doom with both the original keyboard controls and modern mouselook controls and they never really felt diminished either way.

Also, as for describing the BFG as a "panic button" of sorts... I feel like I'm missing something, but isn't that what your biggest room-clearing superweapon kind of should be anyway? Like, there's no real reason to travel around with it out, especially in between encounters. I guess the phrase "panic button" invokes something different to you, but I don't get the hate myself.

I think Wolfenstein: The New Order played fantastically on the PC and that game was designed from the ground up to be played well with a controller.

I like you. You have restored some faith.

HOWEVER, there was no vertical aiming, which helped tremendously.

I just can't help but shake the feeling this game is going to be a massive let down to Doom fans over the years.

Newboi

I just can't help but shake the feeling this game is going to be a massive let down to Doom fans over the years.

Honestly, I'm more worried about the shotguns than anything. It just doesn't feel like Doom to me unless I can snipe enemies with my shotgun across the map lol. I guess the hard part would be properly balancing its use for multiplayer.

Honestly, I'm more worried about the shotguns than anything. It just doesn't feel like Doom to me unless I can snipe enemies with my shotgun across the map lol. I guess the hard part would be properly balancing its use for multiplayer.

That is one of the reasons I'm concerned. DOOM is still unique because the shotgun is the utility weapon.

I'll reserve my judgement until I see it pumped up to Ultra Violence and see how intense it is.

Speak for yourself. As a longtime Doom fan I'm stoked. Game looks sick.

Shotgun spread in the Foundry gameplay was from a MUCH older build; spread has tightened since then (shown in the SnapMap footage)
doom001_by_smurfman256-d9hulwx.png

Curious whether the shotgun has drastic damage falloff over distance here. The classic shotgun, or any weapon in Doom for that matter, has no damage falloff over range but that's the way a typical Videogame Shotgun works now. I don't recall what the SSG was like in that regard in the alpha, it was pretty useless past near-mid range for sure though.

But why? Doom 3 has it. Also, it will be awesome

Doom 3 was a experiment. It's not like you can buy a Doom 3 VR Edition on Steam right now.

And in general, don't expect games like Doom for PSVR, the demands on the hardware that will VR requires on consoles will limit the shit out of what those games will be able to do.

And designing a shooter for VR would mean doing it for the ground up, and this is a traditional "Look at it on your TV" shooter, which is what it has always been.

Plus, if it was VR. EIther Oculus, Sony or Valve would have screamed it loudly, demonstrating a actual real game for their headsets.

Doom 3 was a experiment. It's not like you can buy a Doom 3 VR Edition on Steam right now.

And in general, don't expect games like Doom for PSVR, the demands on the hardware that will VR requires on consoles will limit the shit out of what those games will be able to do.

And designing a shooter for VR would mean doing it for the ground up, and this is a traditional "Look at it on your TV" shooter, which is what it has always been.

Plus, if it was VR. EIther Oculus, Sony or Valve would have screamed it loudly, demonstrating a actual real game for their headsets.

Also, you just move too goddamn fast for VR. I've noticed a lot of VR developers have lowered their movement speed below even that of Gears of War because your brain knows how fast you can move and moving faster than that in a VR environment tends to screw with your inner ear. Considering that the movement speed seems to be 25-30 MPH in DOOM and your inner ear can tell you're NOT moving at that same speed, I think you know what happens next.

That's... upsetting.

Maybe, but also the reality of game development these days. Consoles are the major player, and everything will have to be designed around that first and foremost.

Plus we're at a point where some people probably prefer controllers over mouse/keyboard because they've primarily been a console player for their entire life, and therefore gravitate towards that.

MiguelItUp

That's... upsetting.

It happens, a lot of their QA could have more experiences with consoles too, there's a lot of variables. Experiencing the Alpha on PC left me with no negative feelings at all about controls, so I don't think you have anything to be worried about. That being said, the Game Informer hub should be updating soon. I hope today's a good one!

lazygecko

I don't really have anything against controllers in itself (besides lamenting how the genre at large switched to being designed around its accuracy limitations), but I'm always thrown off by seeing these games played/demoed with them. The camera movement is so unnaturally stiff and rigid that it becomes really off-putting.

New writeup over at GI about the id visit and a fairly in-depth trip report of a hands on single player session. Not too much new info here, though they do mention a shotgun guy that carries a shield also. I think it's the first enemy discussed or shown that won't be projectile based?

Also, SOME holdouts at id apparently still use KB+M to play. Satan bless their souls.

New writeup over at GI about the id visit and a fairly in-depth trip report of a hands on single player session. Not too much new info here, though they do mention a shotgun guy that carries a shield also. I think it's the first enemy discussed or shown that won't be projectile based?

Also, SOME holdouts at id apparently still use KB+M to play. Satan bless their souls.

May they Smoke Math and Sail Hatan.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's... upsetting.

I'm glad they are. Too often games with PC roots get poor analog calibration because KB/m players seem to think controller players can't handle appropriate turn speeds. Metro Redux had an unbelievably slow turn speed, even with the sensitivity at max, to the point where one of the DLC challenges is impossible because you just plain can't turn fast enough. If they had proper analog experience, that wouldn't have been an issue.

DJ Gunner

I don't really have anything against controllers in itself (besides lamenting how the genre at large switched to being designed around its accuracy limitations), but I'm always thrown off by seeing these games played/demoed with them. The camera movement is so unnaturally stiff and rigid that it becomes really off-putting.

Speaking as a console only player, watching games im familiar with being played with mkb throws me off in the same fashion. I watched a Battlefront PC vid and couldn't get past the hyper-look speed.

Vanilla Doom supports horizontal-axis mouselook, and has since the beginning. Romero's even stated he designed his maps (eg: pretty much all of Knee-Deep in the Dead) using mouse & keyboard controls not terribly unlike WASD/mouselook.

Granted, vanilla Doom also has mousemove on the vertical axis, which is annoying as hell and rather unlikable, but that's what NOVERT.COM is for, obviously! (...the ".COM" being an old DOS driver extension, not a URL. The link posted there is to idgames/.)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

The way PR people move the camera in demos annoys me too. It's always far too slow and clearly rehearsed.

Newboi

Vanilla Doom supports horizontal-axis mouselook, and has since the beginning. Romero's even stated he designed his maps (eg: pretty much all of Knee-Deep in the Dead) using mouse & keyboard controls not terribly unlike WASD/mouselook.

Granted, vanilla Doom also has mousemove on the vertical axis, which is annoying as hell and rather unlikable, but that's what NOVERT.COM is for, obviously! (...the ".COM" being an old DOS driver extension, not a URL. The link posted there is to idgames/.)

Well, I stand corrected. I didn't know vanilla Doom supported mouse look from the beginning. I thought mouse look didn't get added until Doom was ported to Windows 95.

It was all keyboard for me on Windows 3.1

Ixion

Some other interesting tidbits I noticed:

-Ms. Donna is still the Office Manager at iD, which I didn't know. I remember reading about her in Masters of Doom. She was hired way back in the Wolfenstein days. I think she might be the longest tenured iD employee...
-There's a beginning "tutorial" section that is mostly linear (and then the red/yellow/blue doors start to appear, but it seems they might just be optional).
-Marty Stratton said DOOM is a "big game" and he's proud that they didn't have to scrap the ideas they liked due to constraints.
-Using the chainsaw is about waiting for the right window to strike without taking damage.
-The author found that he ended up using the quick swap feature for the most part (tapping R1 and pushing the right stick towards the weapon), but would sometimes hold down the weapon wheel to give him a second to survey the situation.
-Destroying the "Gore Nest" portals actually triggers enemies to arrive, instead of stopping them (I'm a little confused there...)
-The author said he was genuinely interested in the narrative.

Hellgardia

One of the important parts for me from the article:
With the movement speed defaulted to sprinting, I almost feel like a parkour runner navigating the sea of demons. The marine’s actions are fluid and fast-paced."

Even though he was playing with a controller, i have a bit of faith that the movement will feel good and fluid.

Also
The combat feels great at this point, showing a nice level of polish and balancing along with the satisfying carnage. Doom is still Doom at its heart, but it also feels like a new experience in the first-person shooter category. I question if it will have the legs to support a full campaign, but the small slice I played was an absolute blast.

If the full game turns out to validate this, i'll be happy.

Sblargh

Banned
Is there a good reason (greedy, financial, whatever) for not releasing mod tools?
Or is the console excuse not actually an excuse, but a good reason?

Is there a good reason (greedy, financial, whatever) for not releasing mod tools?

It's never too easy, a lot of the build process pipeline might be proprietary, or require a server farm (Megatexture processing) or they just don't have anything they can package. It might also be de prioritized in order to get the game out. There will probably be some way to mod the game, but it probably isn't a nice and easy to use SDK. Sometimes it can be a business decision in order to discourage modding as they plan to sell DLC etc, but the larger games get, the harder it is going to be to release comprehensive modding tools.

-Ms. Donna is still the Office Manager at iD, which I didn't know. I remember reading about her in Masters of Doom. She was hired way back in the Wolfenstein days. I think she might be the longest tenured iD employee...

Yeah, this is her at id as of her 20th Anniversary at the company in 2014 (so not Wolfenstein-era, but DOOM II onwards).
08_id-Donna's-20-year-party.jpg

Ixion

Even though he was playing with a controller, i have a bit of faith that the movement will feel good and fluid.

I think most people who played the Alpha will confirm that, including myself. I played on PS4 and I loved the feel of the game. Not only did the shooting and movement feel smooth, but the environments also looked smooth, and of course the 60 FPS frame-rate helps a lot as well. "Smooth", "sleek", etc. Those are good words to describe the game.

The strengths of the SnapMap strategy are pretty obvious:

• PC modding doesn't benefit console users at all, which is the largest user base of the game. SnapMap benefits everyone.
  • All SnapMap creations are instantly available to everyone (when shared). No downloads required.
  • And of course, using SnapMap is far easier than using whatever mod tools iD would put out.

SnapMap won't allow for complete creativity like proper mod tools, but that's the only weakness. It's a big weakness, no doubt, but I'm guessing iD feels the benefits outweigh that. Not to mention SnapMap will be something pretty unique, and could have a lot of potential. I can't think of anything quite like it on the market right now. Even Halo's "Forge" mode is a lot different.

I think most people who played the Alpha will confirm that, including myself. I played on PS4 and I loved the feel of the game. Not only did the shooting and movement feel smooth, but the environments also looked smooth, and of course the 60 FPS frame-rate helps a lot as well. "Smooth", "sleek", etc. Those are good words to describe the game.

• PC modding doesn't benefit console users at all, which is the largest user base of the game. SnapMap benefits everyone.
  • All SnapMap creations are instantly available to everyone (when shared). No downloads required.
  • And of course, using SnapMap is far easier than using whatever mod tools iD would put out.

SnapMap won't allow for complete creativity like proper mod tools, but that's the only weakness. It's a big weakness, no doubt, but I'm guessing iD feels the benefits outweigh that. Not to mention SnapMap will be something pretty unique, and could have a lot of potential. I can't think anything quite like it on the market right now. Even Halo's "Forge" mode is a lot different.

I think another part of it was that the released mod tools for RAGE came too little too late and were cumbersome to use.

I think another part of it was that the released mod tools for RAGE came too little too late and were cumbersome to use.

"cumbersome" is an understatement; they literally gave you the entire development kit for Rage. Powerful, yes but it was EXTREMELY daunting as it required some pretty heavy experience with using model programs and the like. Also, you needed a monster rig to bake the MegaTextures.

SnapMap won't allow for complete creativity like proper mod tools, but that's the only weakness. It's a big weakness, no doubt, but I'm guessing iD feels the benefits outweigh that. Not to mention SnapMap will be something pretty unique, and could have a lot of potential. I can't think of anything quite like it on the market right now. Even Halo's "Forge" mode is a lot different.
I still think it is a lame-o "pc is an afterthought" kind of move. Nothing is preventing them from having snap map and mod tools released down the line, well, other than crass expectations of the bottom dollar. Don't get me wrong though, I am super excited for doom, but it is incredibly disappointing to see id fall further and further away from its original core. idtech games used to push technological boundaries and always had mod tools: those mod tools have defined the games after a certain point. Rage of course changed all that :/

I am not sure if I should blame Zenimax or id, or the horrible combination of the two together.
That situation IMO should not have bearing in a rational way as to why doom 4 should not get mod tools. Mega Textures and id false promises and mismanagement floundered that more than the idea of mod tools per se.

I am not sure if I should blame Zenimax or id, or the horrible combination of the two together.
Probably id. Zenimax doesn't really mind modding their games, and actively encourages their creation - at least, going by their two biggest franchises at current, Fallout and The Elder Scrolls.

Top Bottom