• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM (Holiday 2017) and Wolfenstein II (2018) Announced for Nintendo Switch

Can we finally agree that Nintendo is Doomed?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Crayolan

nice boxart for the switch version :eek:

21728119_1924911894192151_7255702058201615713_n.png

I was planning on picking up DOOM when I finally got a PS4, but superior boxart confirms I'll be getting it on Switch.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm going to start yelling quotes from the Doom comic playing this at a Starbucks and just bask in the insane reactions.

Maridia

I'm day one for Wolfenstein on pc, but, if the DOOM port is decent, I'll double dip in a heartbeat.

For those who haven't played it, DOOM is absolutely incredible.

Astral Dog

They literally asked nintendo for Vulkan support on switch and nintendo put it in, heck they probably asked nintendo for the switch to have other certain bits to make their games run easier on the system.
This alongside dropping the texture resolutions is probably more than enough for doom.
I might be completely wrong but ultra high res textures would take up most of that space i would of thought.
What is Vulkan

Juraash

I'm fairly impressed that Bethesda has doubled down on Switch support. When it was just Skyrim it seemed like an easy cash grab for an old game. But they're just straight up bringing their recent stuff to the platform.

That's pretty cool in my book. And, for me at least,it just further vindicates the design of the system. Have I played Doom and Skyrim? You bet. Will I buy them and likely spend more time with them given the flexibility of the Switch? You bet.

MTC100

Banned
The game is like 80GB. This may be one of those games where they dont have a choice.

The difference in texture size between ultra high and medium is enormous, especially if the ultra high ones aren't compressed at all. Besides the game is coming in 2017 AND there is a Boxart already.

bounchfx

They literally asked nintendo for Vulkan support on switch and nintendo put it in, heck they probably asked nintendo for the switch to have other certain bits to make their games run easier on the system.
This alongside dropping the texture resolutions is probably more than enough for doom.
I might be completely wrong but ultra high res textures would take up most of that space i would of thought.

Yeah that and sound/music file quality. They could cut the game down by a third with those alone probably

I'm thinking 30hz will be necessary but I'll be pleasantly surprised with 60 if they can pull it off. But holy shitballs I can't believe it's happening at all! I thought a TNO port was a possibility, but not Wolf 2 and Doom.

I'll be getting all of these Bethesda games, it seems.
Nice that they announced Wolfenstein now despite the ps4/XB1 versions being out this month

Lylo

Man, congrats to Bethesda for showing real support, not doing "tests" with the system, like Capcom and EA.

Wamb0wneD

Remember the Battlechasers dev saying the Switch is too weak for his game and people here arguing in his favour? Fucking lol.

Meaty

How likely is it that wolfenstein will be downgraded (not talking graphically, but level design and gameplay wise) so it can run on switch?
Legit question, really curious about this.

While I loved New Order it was plagued with issues a last gen game would have. The stages were tiny and the setpieces limited.

I'm thinking 30hz will be necessary but I'll be pleasantly surprised with 60 if they can pull it off. But holy shitballs I can't believe it's happening at all! I thought a TNO port was a possibility, but not Wolf 2 and Doom.

DOOM at 30fps is...ugh

But I guess is still cool for ppl who only owns a Switch. Personally I'm not interested unless is 60fps.

The difference in texture size between ultra high and medium is enormous, especially if the ultra high ones aren't compressed at all. Besides the game is coming in 2017 AND there is a Boxart already.

There being a box doesn't mean there wont be any day one patches or the such. But good point on the texture size.

jackdoe

I could definitely see a 30fps handheld mode/ 60fps docked mode situation considering the tremendous bump in GPU clock speed when in docked mode.

Rhanitan

If these have gyro aiming like splatoon they will be the best console versions for me. This also gives me hope that switch can get monster hunter world one day.

Astral Dog

Graphics API. Vulkan incidentally plays at least some role in why EA is absent from Switch. Frostbite has still not gotten its Vulkan support
My knowledge of these things are awful but it's software that bethesda asked nintendo to add support for in the switch and they added it.
From what i can read online it makes doom run really well.

Oh thanks i thought it was like some compression tool

Top Bottom