• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Resurrected - To Hell & Back (Noclip/O'Dwyer documentary on Doom 2016)

Truant

Great documentary, Danny! The game is fantastic and will probably win GOTY from most major outlets. id software really deserves all the success they get with DOOM.

This is interesting stuff. I wonder if it'll go into the focus on the multiplayer beta (and the mixed reaction to the MP in general), the nvidia demo, etc.

5olid_5nake

That ending with Hugo was awesome :D. Luckily we don't have to wait too long for the next part.

Btw. thanks mods for the title edit.

Eirulan

Is there some complete QC2014 reveal footage?
I wonder if we get to see the whole trailer that made the whole room cheer

Mupod

Hopefully can remember to watch when I get home.

This is interesting stuff. I wonder if it'll go into the focus on the multiplayer beta (and the mixed reaction to the MP in general), the nvidia demo, etc.

I sure hope so. I get that these plans were made ages ago but it's funny to me how they're still cranking out multiplayer DLC that nobody cares about.

Also I bet I've got posts here on this very forum saying Doom would be slow and terrible based on the MP beta. The nvidia demo and a livestream from around the same time where they showed the level exploration had me do a 180 on the game almost immediately. Multiplayer still sucked, though. Only booted it up due to Overwatch withdrawal at the time, immediately saw a guy named 'I Miss Overwatch' in a match.

J_Viper

This will be considered blasphemous, but those Doom 4 concepts look way more interesting than what we got.

I hope that game is brought back in some form in the future.

Tovarisc

This will be considered blasphemous, but those Doom 4 concepts look way more interesting than what we got.

I hope that game is brought back in some form in the future.

More interesting than what we got with DOOM 2016? Nah, but interesting for sure. I think they really nailed it with DOOM 2016 when going for that "Lets honor origins of DOOM" angle, but getting more... realistic DOOM could be interesting experience to play.

Ixion

It just looks like Resistance 4 to me. It doesn't look bad, but it just shouldn't be called "Doom". I agree with Hugo's statement on that.

Fantastic stuff. Just fabulous.

This actually paints the CoDoom cancellation in a much more positive light for Bethesda, than what I had originally heard.

I had heard that the new ownership had come in and basically demanded they scrap everything. Good to hear it was a studio decision to start over and ownership backed their play.

jelly

Good stuff, still surprised it all went well after dumping Doom 4 and Bethesda wason their side when they just weren't feeling it but glad they trusted their gut. Can't believe Doom 3 was about 20 people.

Rage still looks great and that shooting makes me want to play it again. Even though it was a lukewarm reception, you could tell even then they still had a great core.

Also something that was mentioned caused me to twitch because it's my one nitpick in all the discussions about Doom 2016 - the mention about how lack of cover is a defining feature in Doom 1/2. Yes, you aren't taking cover that much in classic Doom (and it's certainly not the modern kind that you think of today, which is basically a buzzword for a dark period of derivative shooter design), but hitscan enemies did exist back then, as well as things like Revenant homing rockets or the Archvile's flame attack that could only be stopped by breaking line of sight. Playing on UV, and especially once you got into stuff like Final Doom or particularly hard WADs make peeking around corners with a rocket launcher to take out an enemy like that a not uncommon occurrence in those games.

I'm not even saying this because I think Doom 2016 needed cover or anything, but because how it compensated for this is super interesting: the battle arenas, the mantling, double jumps, etc., allow you to keep away from faster enemy projectiles (while eliminating pure hitscan entirely), and making sure enemies are far more agile and can keep up with the player with similar traversal abilities. It's a far more interesting story (how they managed to make Doom 2016 feel like Doom while actually totally changing a major part of Doom's carefully balanced weapon/bestiary/level design) than "modern shooters are slow and have cover, Doom is cooler so it didn't have that, so new Doom doesn't have that," which always felt super reductive to me and was part of the marketing message that made me so wary of the game before release.

Then again, all of this might be covered in Parts 2 or 3 and I'm totally jumping the gun, but it felt good to talk about it again.

dmr87

Wolfenstein is hard.

gEaCab3.jpg

Pre-order cancelled.

(Gonna watch soon)

jambo

Also something that was mentioned caused me to twitch because it's my one nitpick in all the discussions about Doom 2016 - the mention about how lack of cover is a defining feature in Doom 1/2. Yes, you aren't taking cover that much in classic Doom (and it's certainly not the modern kind that you think of today, which is basically a buzzword for a dark period of derivative shooter design), but hitscan enemies did exist back then, as well as things like Revenant homing rockets or the Archvile's flame attack that could only be stopped by breaking line of sight. Playing on UV, and especially once you got into stuff like Final Doom or particularly hard WADs make peeking around corners with a rocket launcher to take out an enemy like that a not uncommon occurrence in those games.

I'm not even saying this because I think Doom 2016 needed cover or anything, but because how it compensated for this is super interesting: the battle arenas, the mantling, double jumps, etc., allow you to keep away from faster enemy projectiles (while eliminating pure hitscan entirely), and making sure enemies are far more agile and can keep up with the player with similar traversal abilities. It's a far more interesting story (how they managed to make Doom 2016 feel like Doom while actually totally changing a major part of Doom's carefully balanced weapon/bestiary/level design) than "modern shooters are slow and have cover, Doom is cooler so it didn't have that, so new Doom doesn't have that," which always felt super reductive to me and was part of the marketing message that made me so wary of the game before release.

Then again, all of this might be covered in Parts 2 or 3 and I'm totally jumping the gun, but it felt good to talk about it again.

I think he means there old school of level design and gameplay, where you learnt these winding, looping labyrinths and then used that knowledge to defeat enemies, instead of the modern style which is run in to big area and crouch behind waist high cover.

I think he means there old school of level design and gameplay, where you learnt these winding, looping labyrinths and then used that knowledge to defeat enemies, instead of the modern style which is run in to big area and crouch behind waist high cover.
Yeah, he specifically talks about "stop and pop" which seemed to be way things worked in early development of DOOM 4.

Which reminds me of how hilarious it was to watch my brother try to come to grips with the new DOOM - he kept trying to play it like a cover shooter. Hell, I didn't even know you could crouch in the game until I saw him doing it, trying to slowly creep up on the imps.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm glad we got the look at the Doom 4 and that famous Quakecon presentation. We finally have visuals of that legendary PCGamer tweet.

owbums.png

:D

rafa

Neo Member
This is exactly what I signed up for with NoClip. Fantastic stuff, Danny! I'm anxiously awaiting the continuation!

jennetics

Really enjoyed the Rocket League Noclip so I'm excited for this one.

Also..I should probably buy Doom but I'm a big scaredy-cat.

LordOfChaos

I'm glad we got the look at the Doom 4 and that famous Quakecon presentation. We finally have visuals of that legendary PCGamer tweet.

owbums.png

:D

Oh yeah! Beautiful.

What we got was obviously way better, but I wonder if they'd release whatever they had of "Doom 4 1.0" as a free DLC or something for what we got, just for shits and giggles so we could see what the story was like.

Top Bottom