• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM Review Thread - The Fury Road of Shooters

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
That's not how games work

You put content in the game it's going to be reviewed and rated, as it should be. If it's that bad it never should have gone in to begin with

JFC

I disagree with this.
If it's bad it's just a "free" thing that comes with the game, as long as the rest is worth the price, I don't think you should rate the game lower.

Qassim

Not a fan of the series(too violence and dark theme) but I like Battlefield and similar fps because how crazy the gunfight is. Would I like this game?

Battlefield and similar games are incredibly tame compared to games like DOOM (and many of the old fps games of the late 90s, early 2000s).

RK128

Saw footage of this online and love every damn second of it.

The speed of your character, the fact you are pulled RIGHT into the gameplay, the fact the Doom Guy gives zero shits about the story happening around him, the weapons having a lot of impact.....this is Doom. Iconic, classic Doom, but thrown into the modern age with visuals.

I don't have the means to play this, but when I do get a PS4, will be getting this right alongside UC4 and Ratchet & Clank :D! Was hoping for this to be amazing and am really happy it ended up being that, at least the Single Player portion.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
That's the In Progress score. It's not final.

Judging by the reviewer's twitter it's not going to go any higher.

Doom will be a case of community vs critics. I wonder if the Steam/user reviews will keep being so glowing after the big websites post mixed reviews. Appeal to authority and all.

In any case...I think this is the best FPS campaign since Half-Life. Sorry HL2. Sorry F.E.A.R. Pure perfection.

That's not how games work

You put content in the game it's going to be reviewed and rated, as it should be. If it's that bad it never should have gone in to begin with

JFC

That's nonsense if the single player campaign is an amazing experience then it should be reviewed as such... Multiplayer is just an extra for a game with a campaign.

Conversely if the multiplayer is amazing and the single player isn't, then yeah the reviewer could have an amazing time just with multiplayer.

These are opinions of the person playing (the reviewer). If a reviewer finds it a 10 out of 10 experience in any of the game modes then the game is a 10 out of 10 for that reviewer.

Review scores don't go up and down based on the games features. That's a very 1995 way of viewing them.

I disagree with this.
If it's bad it's just a "free" thing that comes with the game, as long as the rest is worth the price, I don't think you should rate the game lower.

And if someone came to Doom 16 for the multi-player, will that 9/10 be accurate?

How would you possibly rate that?

How about we hold devs responsible for what they publish and expect a high quality all around no matter what comes in the package

Risette

A Good Citizen

Doom will be a case of community vs critics. I wonder if the Steam/user reviews will keep being so glowing after the big websites post mixed reviews. Appeal to authority and all.

In any case...I think this is the best FPS campaign since Half-Life. Sorry HL2. Sorry F.E.A.R. Pure perfection.
Word of mouth has already set a positive vibe around the game. I don't think reviews will change that.

Bethesda was probably right in holding review copies back.

That's nonsense if the single player campaign is an amazing experience then it should be reviewed as such... Multiplayer is just an extra for a game with a campaign.

Conversely if the multiplayer is amazing and the single player isn't, then yeah the reviewer could have an amazing time just with multiplayer.

These are opinions of the person playing (the reviewer). If a reviewer finds it a 10 out of 10 experience in any of the game modes then the game is a 10 out of 10 for that reviewer.

Review scores don't go up and down based on the games features. That's a very 1995 way of viewing them.

Well since ID clearly had no interest in developing multi-player and having this be a sp experience, why outsource and tack on a MP mode?

mcz117chief

Might I suggest another "old school" shooter which is just as good?
In my opinion it is better but that's just me
Shadow-Warrior-Logo-Small.png

pa22word

The MP being as mediocre as it is is just so utterly mind boggling.

There are multiple SP arena fights that you could have sliced off the campaign as is and turned into deathmatch maps for great competitive firefights.

Fantastapotamus

And if someone came to Doom 16 for the multi-player, will that 9/10 be accurate?

How would you possibly rate that?

How about we hold devs responsible for what they publish and expect a high quality all around no matter what comes in the package

You read the part of the review that says "The multiplayer is bad" and go "Oh, okay"

rdytoroll

Word of mouth has already set a positive vibe around the game. I don't think reviews will change that.

Bethesda was probably right in holding review copies back.

Agreed. I wasn't interested in the game at first, but after reading glowing impressions from community members I'll be getting it pretty soon. Critical reception won't change that. I'd rather trust the community

You read the part of the review that says "The multiplayer is bad" and go "Oh, okay"

Then get rid of scores and have the parts broken down with either good or bad in bold letters or something

But if you want a final score, it absolutely has to account for ALL the content, not just the "good stuff" that's absolutely ridiculous

mcz117chief

There are multiple SP arena fights that you could have sliced off the campaign as is and turned into deathmatch maps for great competitive firefights.

I have to give id credit for making almost any area in the campaign (that I played so far) viable as a multiplayer map. The last time I have seen that was in Halo:Reach (but there they actually did it the other way around). Awesome map layout in both games.

Fantomas

Luckily SnapMap actually has some of those arena areas from the SP and you can make deathmatch maps based on them, so that's a plus at least.

This year's Wolfenstein as I'm sure it's been said. Although TNO had a fantastic story that was more the draw. But still, a contested shooter that I bet fans will latch onto.

Can't wait to play it this summer after everything dies down.

7.1 is such a dumb fucking review score (I know it's in progress). Make it 7. How is it 0.1 points better than a 7? Why does your review system need that level of fidelity?

NotLiquid

The MP being as mediocre as it is is just so utterly mind boggling.

I guess that's the downside you get from outsourcing it to a developer who predominantly works with more modern multiplayer components.

That said we also got SnapMap, and if it came down to a choice of having better multiplayer or having this campaign, I'm far happier that id could focus it all on this campaign. This is easily what the game will be remembered for and I'm glad they went balls to the wall on it.

Snapmap has the shitty 2 weapon loadouts still though

Yeah, snap map needs to dump all the multiplayer design baggage and have all the same core balance, movement, and weapon switch times, load out (all wep carry) and damage as single player.

Having the shotgun's explosive shot in snap map take longer time to arm and fire than in single player is incredibly frustrating.

Ushay

Holy shit they actually made a good DOOM single player campaign, defo interested in picking this up now.. after I finish the other 6 games I need to complete.

SpokkX

Seriously the most fun i had with a fps campaign since.. Well.. Halo 1?

Played most big fps over the years but this game just nails what GAMES are all about:

Fun to play

Great feeling in weapons and hit reactions
Cool monsters with FUN ai
Great soundtrack
Fast and furious
open levels with cool secrets

gypsygib

No wonder devs don't put any effort into SP in FPS games anymore, despite being better than 95% of popular FPS campaigns (if the even have one at all) the games still struggle for top review scores.

Wolfenstein deserved a lot more than a meta of 81, so does Doom.

mookie

Neo Member
I've played the first 5-6 hours of this game on PS4 and so far it's outstanding. It's my favorite shooter of this gen so far.

The glory kill system is amazing and well implemented in a tactile way where you really rely heavily on it which makes it all the more rewarding.

Mman235

I guess the critic scores and actual sales still need to come through, but as far as the impressions of most people who've played it go it's obviously got very positive reception. So after years of being told that the only reason people liked those games is nostalgia and it's impossible to make a high-budget one someone just goes ahead and throws a budget at making an proper modernised old-school FPS and people love it. Shocking /s. It's Demon's Souls all over again.

Yes, I'm saying Doom 2016 is the Demon's Souls of FPS. Even though it makes far more modern concessions in comparison.

Watching that gameplay footage in comparison with the original gameplay reveal from E3 is shocking. Talk about doing a poor job of showing off what your game can really do.

Wow, I'm pretty sure this literally moves at less than half the speed of the actual game in terms of movement speed. This game's marketing needs some kind of award for how it managed to fumble every single thing it could. Then again, given the obvious major word of mouth combined with that last-minute Nvidia showing maybe it's secretly genius?

fart town usa

Gold Member
That polygon video is hilarious. I wish I had a ps4, really wanna play this.

Currently playing doom 3 bfg....doesn't quite feel the same, lol.

mcz117chief

Holy shit they actually made a good DOOM single player campaign, defo interested in picking this up now.. after I finish the other 6 games I need to complete.

You say it like there ever was a bad one. DOOM 1,2 and 3 all have great campaigns (2 has some pretty bad maps but overall it's good) with Resurrection of Evil being the best DOOM campaign to date. DOOM 4 only continues the tradition of making good campaigns.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
This game has been a very pleasant surprise so far! No regrets on my impulse purchase. It's very, very impressive visually (pc), it's fast, it's fun. Fury Road of video games makes sense. This game rocks!

I completely agree. The level design alone is better than anything since Half Life 1 (or similar FPS on consoles....20 years ago).

sflufan

Banned
Not a fan of the series(too violence and dark theme) but I like Battlefield and similar fps because how crazy the gunfight is. Would I like this game?

So you are totally fine with playing games in a series that theoretically trivializes the horrors of actual warfare, but a game that features the killing of completely fictional and kinda silly demons is "too violent and dark"?!?

I think you need to analyze this a bit :p

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
So id has to make a new Quake now, right?

I'm sorry if they wanted to experiment with a new IP or something, but I'm pretty sure by law they are required to make a new Quake now.

Fantastapotamus

He's saying what I am. You have to review the contents of the package in their entirety

You argued as long as the sp is good , the shitty MP can just be a free extra

Can't you argue the same for audio, controls , graphics etc?

No?
Bad controls aren't "a free extra" it impacts the entire game. You can completely ignore the MP and it won't harm your enjoyment of the SP. You can't "ignore" bad controls. How is this even remotely comparable?

Top Bottom