• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DOOM VFR – E3 2017 Reveal Trailer [PSVR/VIVE]

v0yce

So it's a new game and uses teleporting? Bummer.

I know I'm apparently in the minority but I find teleporting really disorienting whereas full motion has never made me sick at all.

I was really hoping RE7 would get us more games that basically play like normal but in VR.

karasu

Wow I just sold my psvr too. The teleporting is a shame though. That is a terrible system of movement.

I intentionally held off playing DOOM and Fallout4 due to anticipation of the VR versions. I know it's not the same thing in the end, but I'm not even ok with that, I actually prefer it (maybe I should wait and see how well it's implemented before jumping to conclusions lol)

Wow I just sold my psvr too. The teleporting is a shame though. That is a terrible system of movement.

It's the most natural of them all, if they have other options then I will try them too but the game seems to want to keep the fast movement in regards to the melee attacks of the non VR version. I don't see how that's working out with artificial locomotion, Sairento VR is probably a good reference for this.

I know I'm apparently in the minority but I find teleporting really disorienting whereas full motion has never made me sick at all.

I was really hoping RE7 would get us more games that basically play like normal but in VR.
I'm exactly the same way. Every single bullshit thing devs put in their games to mitigate motion sickness actually has the opposite effect on me, like the shrinking iris on RE7 and RIGS, the weird stutter turning in RE7, etc. just give me fluid, realistic motion, for fuck's sake.

androvsky

They think people will puke if they do joystick movement. Most devs came to this conclusion and it has taken a lot of the wind out of my sails when it comes to VR.

Based on the first few games I played with joystick movement I would've agreed with the devs. Now that I've played Farpoint I want that setup in every VR game with navigation. I used the 45-degree blinking turns since the smooth turning did make me queasy. But there were enough options and they felt implemented well enough that VR titles trying to do first person movement should just bite the bullet and do it, provided they offer Farpoint's options (and don't screw them up).

Unfortunately, it seems like DOOM VFR is building the teleportation into the gameplay mechanics and story, so I'm not sure if they'll have more normal movement options.

ZehDon

Gold Member
I'm exactly the same way. Every single bullshit thing devs put in their games to mitigate motion sickness actually has the opposite effect on me, like the shrinking iris on RE7 and RIGS, the weird stutter turning in RE7, etc. just give me fluid, realistic motion, for fuck's sake.
Well, they offer comfort options for precisely that reason. I want them to include everything, just like RE7. That game has so many VR comfort options its crazy. I played with perfectly smooth turning myself, but I find the Iris stuff helpful. Having the options to mix, match, enable and disable is the best way to ensure VR games can be played by as many people as possible.

TheRed

I hope there's an option for free movement without teleporting. I understand it really works to combat motion sickness but if I can handle it if like to not use it.

ffvorax

OMG Doom in VR? No in VIRTUAL FUCKING REALITY!??!

I need this! :O

Hope it will support the Aim Controller for PSVR!

I don't like too much the teleport too, maybe there will be an option, and in any case I want to try it, maybe it just works fine... I believe, it's doom in vr anyway, I can live with the teleport thing.

zoukka

Doom is like x10 faster than RE7, I think this is the right way to do it.

membran

Yeah, I'm not a fan of teleport-only movement, but I understand that many people can't handle free movement (triggered by keypress action) without getting sick. But having Doom 2016 VR this way is better than nothing, I guess. I don't think they'll implement a free move mode, it appears that the game design has been changed to accommodate the teleportation gamplay.

Anyway - for those who want to try old the original Doom 1+2 in VR with "proper" movement options: Check out gz3doom. It works with mouse+keyboard and gamepad. If you have VR legs like me, give it a spin.

You can use the "Doom.Wad" and "Doom2.Wad" files (basically all the Doom levels, sounds, sprites etc) from anywhere. Doom3 BFG Edition has them, for example.

Vash63

Day 1 for me. Bethesda alone has more games that I want than Sony or Microsoft's entire platforms... great show.

Planet

This trailer made teleport actually look fun! Combined with bullet time it seems they found a sweet spot to make the fast paced action accessible in VR. Count me in for sure.

I'm not even sure I would want to play this with Aim - seems like you have one arm for teleporting and another for shooting, and that looked quite intuitive in the trailer. Aim is great but maybe not even every shooter is a perfect match - it has enough other games upcoming.

epicnemesis

I played this last year at e3 and it singlehandedly made me a vr believer. I was hoping the teleporting mechanic was placeholder though. It felt amazing lobbing grenades though. I felt like Aaron Rodgers dropping dimes exactly where I wanted with the exact amount of loft.

Planet

VR Focus has some more infos:
On PlayStation.Store DOOM VFR is retailing for $29.99 USD with a release date of 31st December 2017 – this is most likely a place holder date as Bethesda made no specific date announcements during the E3 2017 press conference.

On top of that DOOM VFR will also get a retail version for gamers that like a physical copy of their videogames. As yet this doesn’t have a date of arrival, or whether it’ll be the same price as the digital copy.

I'm really, really rooting for aim controller support and optional free movement.
But still, pretty awesome announcement!

Oh yeah, aim support would be great. Unless it really doesn't fit with needing two separate hands.
The visuals plus the force feedback on the aim would be a nice combo.

Yeah, free movement would be cool for those who could handle it if it's actually doable.

Doom is like x10 faster than RE7, I think this is the right way to do it.
Doom VFR is slower than everything, because you can't move aside from teleporting.

Also, judging from what I played last year, from the footage being shown last night that was identical in most parts, and the price, this appears to basically be a "VR Experience" kind of thing. Lots of different interactive modes that are almost like assorted standalone mini games, some of which are "experiences" that aren't so game-like, where all you do is press a button to bring up a model of a monster to look at. Basically like PlayStation VR Worlds, but set inside the Doom universe.

UltraJay

Free movement may be possible if it added a "slow-motion" button as well as a "melee-kill" button. Both look integral to the experience and both are done using teleportation in the trailer. In fact, at one point the player leaves a teleport open to the side for a bit to get some shots off in slow-motion.

The enemy movement and shots might be based on a person teleporting around that free movement might be too slow or even trivialize the encounters.

If it isn't in natively then it could get modded in while keeping a slow-motion button but a melee button seems less likely. More likely (if I was doing it) to implement the teleport JUST for melee kills so it is still possible and keeps true to how the non-vr version does melee.

For people wanting to use the Aim Controller, how are you going to manipulate controls when free-handed? Have a move controller in your pocket to switch to? Use the rifle muzzle like a hand? Keep in mind that PC VR has multiple control options as well and frequently restricts them to just Vive/Touch/Move controllers when two free hand actions are used.

cucuchu

PSVR purchase redeemed. I was beginning to think about selling it off after my RE7 play through since I saw nothing new worthwhile but this sounds fantastic

xrnzaaas

LOL a fast FPS like Doom with teleportation instead of normal movement. Was this suggested by Polygon or what?

If their design goal was to lessen discomfort, teleportation is the way to go (it works for Robo Recall). Free movement tends to increase nausea over time.

If they can do it in Fallout, they can do it in Doom.

Doom is all about your movement, running and gunning. You aren't running and gunning if you need to look around to place a teleporter marker. It completely changes the pace of what makes it Doom.

I actually feel like the teleport mechanic is supposed to make it feel more like Doom than traditional free movement in VR would allow. Games like Farpoint and (ostensibly) Fallout VR are slower paced than Doom; I assume free movement at Doom speed was impossible to make comfortable, so they went for a teleportation solution. I imagine you'll be able to blink back and forth pretty fast, and hopefully that ends up with a similar feeling of speed as the original.

If their design goal was to lessen discomfort, teleportation is the way to go (it works for Robo Recall). Free movement tends to increase nausea over time.
There's something called getting your VR legs. Happens in RE7, RIGS and Farpoint. Play it long enough and you'll get used to it.

It's worth it because the run-and-gun mechanics in VR are exhilarating once you get your legs. Once that has happened, you will look at games designed around teleporting and laugh, especially when based on a property that literally invented run-and-gun first person gameplay.

There's something called getting your VR legs. Happens in RE7, RIGS and Farpoint. Play it long enough and you'll get used to it.

It's worth it because the run-and-gun mechanics in VR are exhilarating once you get your legs. Once that has happened, you will look at games designed around teleporting and laugh, especially when based on a property that literally invented run-and-gun first person gameplay.

There is nothing in VR that has the speed of doom, there are several shooting games where you can walk and sprint. They don't even come close to doom, the only thing that does is Serious Sam VR and the successor. If you think you are adapted to VR because you walked around in VR a bit in games like RE7 or Farpoint then you might be in for a rude awakening. Some people believe they are completely immune to motionsickness and sometimes an increase in movement speed is all it takes to put them out.
If they (Bethesda) get a good mechanik going with teleportation then more power to them, if they get both mechanics to work in the same space so you can move around freely withouth breaking the games mechanics, even better.
Dismissing the game for teleportation only without having played it is silly at best.

kinggroin

Banned

At least on Vive, a shit load of games use traditional locomotion (analog stick movement).

Not sure why this is teleport only. It's way too fast pace for that.

At least on Vive, a shit load of games use traditional locomotion (analog stick movement).

Not sure why this is teleport only. It's way too fast pace for that.

And they all make me puke. Meanwhile in Raw Data and Serious Sam I can teleport around at high speeds.

FHIZ

Shit man, I hope this supports the aim controller, Farpoint is cool and it feels great blasting bugs flying at you with a shotgun, but the setting is just devoid of all personality in my opinion. So give me that same functionality with fucking Doom, and I'm there.

Top Bottom