• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Doom3 is pretty, but any word on it being a good game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the impression's I've heard so far have been absolutely glowing. They've basically said that theres no more reason to question id's ability to make a single player game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've read a number of opinions, and most of them are very positive. Perhaps the only negative impressions I've read are either VERY poorly written or stemmed from a pirate who didn't seem to care about the game too much in the first place.

Tenguman

I've read a couple that have said it gets pretty repetitive after the intial *shock* of playing the game wears off.

I'll know for sure when I get my copy tomorrow

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Doom 3 is Wolfenstein 3d with fancy graphics. Id has a formula and is sticking to it.

Patrick Klepek

furiously molesting tim burton
picking up my copy at 7pm tonight. just went and plunked down the $50 for it so i don't have to worry if i'm a few minutes late and miss out on a non-pre-ordered copy.

cybamerc

Save the $55 and just play any id game from the last 11 years. The gameplay hasn't changed.

dark10x

cybamerc said:
Save the $55 and just play any id game from the last 11 years. The gameplay hasn't changed.

As a fan of Factor 5's recent Star Wars games, I don't think you have a lot of room to talk. :p

border

It sounds pretty dull from all the impressions. Sure it's Doom.....but then again.....it's Doom. Find the key - open the door - get scared when wall opens up and monster pops out.....repeat over and over.

cybamerc

dark10x:

> As a fan of Factor 5's recent Star Wars games, I don't think you have a lot of room to talk. :p

Not really a fan of Rebel Strike but F5 did more to freshen up the gameplay in that title (with mixed success) than id has in all of its games since Wolfenstein 3d.

But let's not turn this thread into a discussion about other games' shortcomings.

border

Maybe you can argue that id hasn't changed much since Quake....but certainly there was a ton of evolution from Wolfenstein to Doom to Quake. Technological progression has pretty much seen fit to that. Wolf3D didn't even have multi-level...uhh, levels. It was just one gigantic flat space with identical brick walls.

element

system shock 2 lite is what it is.

they took the 'log' system from system shock 2, gave the game fancy graphics, and took away psi and hack.

pretty scary though.

Slo

element said:

they took the 'log' system from system shock 2, gave the game fancy graphics, and took away psi and hack.

pretty scary though.

I will buy 3 copies.

Thaedolus

Yeah, it actually reminds me of System Shock 2. The logs are hardly SS2's invention though, but it definitely has that constant tension going. I love those little robot dudes that help you out. You just lead them to the badguys and duck behind a crate :)

Kon Tiki

Banned
element said:

pretty scary though.

Man, thats exactly what I have been saying. On a side note, Oxygen, Can you PLEASE make your System Shock side project with this engine? :D

SKluck

Banned
The game is polished through the roof. Production values up the ying yang.

Everyone should play it at least once, it's an experience. Kind of like Half-Life, Metroid, Halo, Farcry.

It's not an end-all, be-all FPS, but it's a fun ride.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
As long as it's at least as immersive as what you just listed.

I've found Call of Duty to be the King of 'pulling you in'.

element

The logs are hardly SS2's invention though, but it definitely has that constant tension going.
well i was talking about having them all voice acted. System Shock 2 was really the first game to use that with EVERYTHING. Really makes you identify with each character.

Can you PLEASE make your System Shock side project with this engine?
it was between Doom 3 and Source.

it has been pretty amazing. the interface system is awesome.

SKluck said:

Everyone should play it at least once, it's an experience. Kind of like Half-Life, Metroid, Halo, Farcry.

It's not an end-all, be-all FPS, but it's a fun ride.

I would if I COULD. But I have to wait for the Xbox version, which I hope can at least match the low quality of settings of the PC version. Trust me, I'm dying here because I can't play some Doom 3. My PC is just far too old.

EmSeta

Gameplay-wise, it feels exactly like an extention to Quake 2. The feel of the weapons, the level design, the enemies.. it's MUCH more like Quake 2 than Doom.

Malakhov

Banned
Good god is that game immersive, I had to stop playing because I was getting too stressed. Man THIS is a survival horror game.

element said:

pretty scary though.

That's a good way of describing it though I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing.

Doom III is a FPS, no doubt about it. It doesn't have any of the leveling like in SS but it did the horror aspect just right, just like the the SS series did.

Izzy

Banned
cybamerc said:
Doom 3 is Wolfenstein 3d with fancy graphics. Id has a formula and is sticking to it.

Well, then it doesn't get any better than this. Wolfeinstein 3D is my favourite FPS shooter. Ever.

the game is scary and needs to be played at night with a good sound system! After playing Doom III for two hours I am really impressed and can't wait for F.E.A.R :D

dark10x

Err, what does F.E.A.R. have to do with anything? :p

I have to wait until tomorrow night before I can get my hands on Doom 3, but in the meantime, I was looking around for new Doom maps to play...

I found a nice total conversion of Doom 64. It is EXTREMELY accurate from the sounds and music to the actual visuals...it looks almost dead on. I was quite shocked!

It plays SOOO much better on the PC, though. Anyone waiting for Doom 3 should give it a shot! :D

http://doomdepot.doom2.net/abs-about.html

Paradox

Goty for me so far.

Its the most immersive/scary/shit in your pants fps Ive ever played :) I keep on yelping when the fuckers come from behind or from the side. Oh and the graphics are incredible.
I cant wait to get to the hell levels..

cybamerc said:

You're right in a way, but that statement alone doesn't show the whole picture. As others have said, the level of polish in this game is just stunning and the fact it is the first id game with an actual story makes it noteworthy. It is incredibly immersive and well designed - and fun to play.

Give me tried and true gameplay with immersion of this level any day if this is what we get as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom