• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread 3: Gunnar Optiks Required [Faster Loading]

Status
Not open for further replies.

ksan

Bad Puck players going mid is auto fail.

Good Puck players going mid is GG. I played my QoP mid against a very good Puck, I could not harass him with spells or even regular attacks because he would phase out of them. We won the match because the side lanes succeeded on our team but that Puck was very good, so hard to kill.

Did you fake cast shadow strike?

Dahbomb

Did you fake cast shadow strike?
Nah I didn't but I will remember that if I play that match up next time.

I like doing fake casts with slow wind up spells like Leshrac and Lina. The other ones people just don't react to it because they aren't even looking for it so are just wasting your time animation cancelling.

GorillaJu

Omniknight may be getting a recolor, this is showing up on the Hero Learn tab now as his Portrait:
newomni.jpg

http://www.dota2.com/hero/Omniknight/

Is that Omni? Thought it was silencer.

Lotto

Omniknight recolor... Why? He looks like my marine biology teacher from high school. I don't mind it but some transparency/reasoning into the change would be nice.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Last game the enemy Medusa tried to use hero ult to stop us from running a few times, was pretty funny to see.

Also, I wonder if Rod of Atos would be any good on a Medusa with the faster pace meta, 325 HP and Mana, plus the slow is great.

Oh, a notable bug that you should all avoid.

Right now, clicking the courier's haste button in the lower right will stop any changing spell for some reason, like Teleport or Black Hole. Don't push it during those times.

Low Tier
Last game the enemy Medusa tried to use hero ult to stop us from running a few times, was pretty funny to see.

Also, I wonder if Rod of Atos would be any good on a Medusa with the faster pace meta, 325 HP and Mana, plus the slow is great.

Right now, clicking the courier's haste button in the lower right will stop any changing spell for some reason, like Teleport or Black Hole. Don't push it during those times.

no it wouldn't

So after ten hours of cooperative bot games with friends, trying out different heroes, finding some ones I liked, watching the dota2 cinema guides for classes/roles and a few characters I decided to dive into an actual match of dota2 with a friend...and a few randoms. I chose Crystal Maiden so I could boost the teams mana, try and help them with their creep farming and maybe help my teammates gank an enemy player or two. Shit went downhill pretty fast.

Things started out alright. I went bottom lane with my friend, stayed near our top tower in the bottom lane, manged to level up a decent amount off of the creep, was following the dota2alttab guide for Crystal Maiden, even managed to gank one of the dire early on (over-extended, low on health, no creep or backup) by myself and that's when things started to get ugly.

The player I managed to kill disconnected, all the while it started to sound pretty nasty in the mid and top lanes. Kept hearing Quake domination clips playing, towers started falling in quick succession and two of my teammates disconnected. I took a look at the scoreboard and discovered that I, the support class, was the highest level player on Radiant and there was a four to five level gap between me and the top two players on Dire. As the match continued the gap just steadily increased and there was nothing to be done except enjoy the ticket to poundtown. I discovered you could control the heroes of disconnected players and started taking them with me but they were so low level I think that just made the gap worse. I think I was just giving those top Dire players free money and experience.

I stuck with it and finished the match but man, that sucked.

Hylian7

Who is an Ethereal Blade actually useful on besides Morphling? I can hardly think of anyone you can make a compelling argument for buying it on. I could see Gyrocopter potentially, for Rocket Barrage and the donk (Homing Missile), but everyone else damn near falls flat. It pretty much falls to anyone that has some kind of late-game reliable nuke (like Morphling does). I guess you could argue for getting it on anyone you are getting a Dagon 5 on, but still that's a lot of farm. Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe Tinker, since he could be getting that kind of farm if he's going Dagon, and March is both physical and magical damage.

Maybe you could make an argument for having it on Viper too, if you're going Scepter. Venomancer is another possibility, but again that requires a lot of farm which is something a support isn't likely to get.

kRC7u.jpg

lol...Now he looks more like DK.

He now reminds me of Uther Lightbringer from Warcraft 3.

UthertheLightbringer2.jpg

Who is an Ethereal Blade actually useful on besides Morphling? I can hardly think of anyone you can make a compelling argument for buying it on. I could see Gyrocopter potentially, for Rocket Barrage and the donk (Homing Missile), but everyone else damn near falls flat. It pretty much falls to anyone that has some kind of late-game reliable nuke (like Morphling does). I guess you could argue for getting it on anyone you are getting a Dagon 5 on, but still that's a lot of farm. Maaaaaaaaaaaaybe Tinker, since he could be getting that kind of farm if he's going Dagon, and March is both physical and magical damage.

Maybe you could make an argument for having it on Viper too, if you're going Scepter. Venomancer is another possibility, but again that requires a lot of farm which is something a support isn't likely to get.

I like to get in on Zeus and Lina. Depends on the Lineup though. Ethereal Zeus is a pretty hard pub stomper if you get decent farm.

Hylian7

I just realized I didn't even think of one potential strategy with Gyrocopter and an EBlade. Set the donk on someone that's running away, let them run away from it, and have a Wisp on your team TP you, EBlade them before they get donked, finish up with Rocket Barrage.

ogre magi is stronk. potm, riki, sf, nyx, furion

for eblade

I thought about SF, but I would think he would just get blown the fuck up in Ethereal form, since he's not exactly the tankiest guy around. Why on Riki or Nature's Prophet? Their damage mostly comes from physical attacks, and you aren't really taking much advantage of the EBlade other than the intial nuke from it. I mean I guess you could make an argument against a squishy team if you have Scepter on Nature's Prophet, but why Riki? Blink Strike is only a 120 damage nuke, which isn't much.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
So after ten hours of cooperative bot games with friends, trying out different heroes, finding some ones I liked, watching the dota2 cinema guides for classes/roles and a few characters I decided to dive into an actual match of dota2 with a friend...and a few randoms. I chose Crystal Maiden so I could boost the teams mana, try and help them with their creep farming and maybe help my teammates gank an enemy player or two. Shit went downhill pretty fast.

Things started out alright. I went bottom lane with my friend, stayed near our top tower in the bottom lane, manged to level up a decent amount off of the creep, was following the dota2alttab guide for Crystal Maiden, even managed to gank one of the dire early on (over-extended, low on health, no creep or backup) by myself and that's when things started to get ugly.

The player I managed to kill disconnected, all the while it started to sound pretty nasty in the mid and top lanes. Kept hearing Quake domination clips playing, towers started falling in quick succession and two of my teammates disconnected. I took a look at the scoreboard and discovered that I, the support class, was the highest level player on Radiant and there was a four to five level gap between me and the top two players on Dire. As the match continued the gap just steadily increased and there was nothing to be done except enjoy the ticket to poundtown. I discovered you could control the heroes of disconnected players and started taking them with me but they were so low level I think that just made the gap worse. I think I was just giving those top Dire players free money and experience.

I stuck with it and finished the match but man, that sucked.

Don't worry about it too much, once you leave the uber-low tier bracket, which is pretty fast if you play halfway decent (no you don't even have to win), people will stop disconnecting and there will actually be people who pause and wait for a player to reconnect ;) Much better experience and it shouldn't be a stompfest that much :)

Low Tier
I just realized I didn't even think of one potential strategy with Gyrocopter and an EBlade. Set the donk on someone that's running away, let them run away from it, and have a Wisp on your team TP you, EBlade them before they get donked, finish up with Rocket Barrage.

I thought about SF, but I would think he would just get blown the fuck up in Ethereal form, since he's not exactly the tankiest guy around. Why on Riki or Nature's Prophet? Their damage mostly comes from physical attacks, and you aren't really taking much advantage of the EBlade other than the intial nuke from it. I mean I guess you could make an argument against a squishy team if you have Scepter on Nature's Prophet, but why Riki? Blink Strike is only a 120 damage nuke, which isn't much.

riki has rly rly good agi, and he's a stealth hero. The 40 agi he gets from it really benefits his backstab dmg, and its more used as a finisher (usually a smoke stab stab blink stab ethereal kills anyone if you get it fast enough). Furion cuz pubs go dagon on him and its yolo. SF with eth blade is fine b/c u get it so fast u crush anyone u find. the whole point of SF is that he's a squishy hero, but he farms extremely fast b/c of raze.

I've been completely hooked to this game for the past month. This game, especially with a couple of friends, can be the most hilarious, addictive and satisfying gaming experience ever.

If anyone is looking for somebody to play with add me on Steam (DIS DAS) and let's do a couple of matches. I've played for about 140 hours and I'm pretty good, I think... lol.

And by the way is there a DOTA2 item trading thread anywhere ?

Detox

This months edge has an article on valve and Greg Coomer the lead on big picture mode mentions that the team is currently experimenting on getting Dota into the living room and whether they can deliver an even better experience on the couch than the desk.

Tenck

I've been completely hooked to this game for the past month. This game, especially with a couple of friends, can be the most hilarious, addictive and satisfying gaming experience ever.

If anyone is looking for somebody to play with add me on Steam (DIS DAS) and let's do a couple of matches. I've played for about 140 hours and I'm pretty good, I think... lol.

And by the way is there a DOTA2 item trading thread anywhere ?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=482664

I can't say I've ever tried it, do whatever you want and tell us how it goes. I think medusa would be more interesting as an int hero, it seems as if she benefits way more from the int items than she does from agility.

For me I have a wierd fetish of building maelstrom on every carry, which reminds me that I need to try it on medusa.

edit: That meepo match was quick, I wouldn't blame it on the meepo pick though.

Tenck

I can't say I've ever tried it, do whatever you want and tell us how it goes. I think medusa would be more interesting as an int hero, it seems as if she benefits way more from the int items than she does from agility.

For me I have a wierd fetish of building maelstrom on every carry, which reminds me that I need to try it on medusa.

edit: That meepo match was quick, I wouldn't blame it on the meepo pick though.

I'd blame it on Nyx. He was ganking effectively.

Tenck

Not quite the success of the first game. 15 minute GG.

I've never actually played Meepo, but is there a method to get all of them to poof on a single place or do you have to execute it with each Meepo separately? It seems like the best method is to tab through and quickly do it with each one.

You have to go through them all. You hit the key to select your other units, tab and poof quickly, then select your hero and blink in.

Luminous_Reaver

Neo Member
You can take away my cute Drow facepaint, but you can never take away my handsome blond and blue Omniknight. Red defies his lore.

I'm going to boycott Dota 2 unless they explain themselves. :(
Seriously though, why the change?

Sanic

Bleh, frustrating game last night.

I pick Necro and end up laning with a Tiny, who just wouldn't shut up or stop micro managing me. I mean, we would just be sitting in the lane and he would be telling me where to be at around the creep wave. He's way too aggressive the whole time and ends up feeding to DP twice in about 4 minutes, but it's my fault because I didn't "spam" death pulse, which I could do a grand total of one time in any fight before it was over. He also had problems with the fact that I had no items...which was because I had died while also buying wards, both couriers, and had used my consumables at that point.

So probably 15 minutes in, Tiny and his friend (who was in the other lane) decide it was over and that the entire loss was my fault...even though they were something like 0-6 and 1-4 at that point. They feed the courier, spam everybody to report me, and just complain about me for the next 15 minutes. I mean, totally wouldn't leave me alone.

Granted, I was 0 for 3 at that point, and was having a poor game...but i've never had an experience this bad. I couldn't even think because I was getting harassed by my lane mate so much.

SaberVulcan

You can take away my cute Drow facepaint, but you can never take away my handsome blond and blue Omniknight. Red defies his lore.

I'm going to boycott Dota 2 unless they explain themselves. :(
Seriously though, why the change?

Maybe Blizzard put a copyright on blonde paladins, along with the name Doom Bringer.

Edit:
How do you play medusa, is it recommended to solo? Maybe put early points into stats?

Play/lane her like a carry. Focus on last hitting, use snake to harass, and farm up a Bloodstone and/or Linkens asap.
I generally level her up like this: Snake->Stats->Snake->Stats->Snake->Gaze->Snake->Shieldx3->Gaze->Shield->Statx3->Gaze->Splitx4
Only reason I level up Split earlier is if team fights are occurring more regularly.

How do you play medusa, is it recommended to solo? Maybe put early points into stats?

http://www.reddit.com/r/DotA2/comme...ion_of_the_day_gorgon_december_8_2011/c369rhc

Some of this stuff is outdated. You can't dodge with splitshot and I think he's kind of exaggerating how powerful medusa is.

edit: I'm really doubting some of this stuff is due to blizzard (I know you're joking about arthas, but the doom thing). Invoker is pretty much the same design as wc3, there's no change there (yet).

mr. puppy

Banned

I pick Necro and end up laning with a Tiny, who just wouldn't shut up or stop micro managing me. I mean, we would just be sitting in the lane and he would be telling me where to be at around the creep wave. He's way too aggressive the whole time and ends up feeding to DP twice in about 4 minutes, but it's my fault because I didn't "spam" death pulse, which I could do a grand total of one time in any fight before it was over. He also had problems with the fact that I had no items...which was because I had died while also buying wards, both couriers, and had used my consumables at that point.

So probably 15 minutes in, Tiny and his friend (who was in the other lane) decide it was over and that the entire loss was my fault...even though they were something like 0-6 and 1-4 at that point. They feed the courier, spam everybody to report me, and just complain about me for the next 15 minutes. I mean, totally wouldn't leave me alone.

Granted, I was 0 for 3 at that point, and was having a poor game...but i've never had an experience this bad. I couldn't even think because I was getting harassed by my lane mate so much.

yea dumb shit like that happens. its not your job to get kills as necro, its your job to tank stuff. going 0-3 is pretty typical on that guy actually, and you end with like 30 assists.

necro is in a crap place right now...he's a bad mid b/c of no good skills to help him get to the runes, hes a bad suicide and hes kinda okay at safe lane but theres much better heroes. i used to love playing him but hes kinda dull now.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

The way to play Necro right now is a solo-lane carry tank. Don't support with him, and don't put up with shit as him.

Anteo

Early points into stats was recommended long ago, idk about know but the idea was that split shot will make you push too much and you need the extra mana/hp to survive early, just like old luna could make use of extra stats before they changed her aura (which is more usefull to upgrade early)

Sanic

yea dumb shit like that happens. its not your job to get kills as necro, its your job to tank stuff. going 0-3 is pretty typical on that guy actually, and you end with like 30 assists.

necro is in a crap place right now...he's a bad mid b/c of no good skills to help him get to the runes, hes a bad suicide and hes kinda okay at safe lane but theres much better heroes. i used to love playing him but hes kinda dull now.

The way to play Necro right now is a solo-lane carry tank. Don't support with him, and don't put up with shit as him.

That's what I've been reading. Ive been doing alright playing more of a hard support role, but I'm gonna give this a shot.

It's just funny because, normally, a lack of communication is the biggest problem with pub games. Totally the opposite situation here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom