• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread 3: Gunnar Optiks Required [Faster Loading]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing more means you have more experience...

Look I'm not even saying its the end-all way of showing skill or w/e. it was the only quick metric I could use. If you saw the game you'd see that our skills were not matched. Dota matchmaking is balls if you play with people in a party of varying skill.

You could check their stats on dotabuff....Usually those people with high amount of wins on the other team generally have sub 50% winrates...

Sanic

Went captains mode

Our captain gets down to the last ban/pick. He's been in constant communication the whole time, seems like a nice guy. We have two carries, and i've told him since the beginning that I want to play a support. I list three supports for him I could play (SS, tidehunter, and lich). What does he do? He bans tidehunter, and gives me Shadow Fiend, and then proceeds to not say a single word the rest of the game.

Troll much?

Sibylus

Banned
https://dotabuff.com/matches/100080568

First game I play in two days, and I get this shit. A Venomancer who refuses to buy the courier, insists on soloing long lane, and having Lone Druid jungling, leaving me soloing against a trilane, with no support of course. I get pooped on, of course, dying four times within 6 minutes...under my own fucking tower. Fuck this game sometimes. Where is a fucking concede button when you need it? This game was obviously lost within about three minutes, especially since we had a laning clusterfuck at the beginning. Also Lone Druid had to buy the courier, I felt bad for the guy.
Abandon
the lane
. Even if it means long laning with the dumb veno or roaming and looking for kills, better than essentially throwing up your hands and resigning yourself to being super glued to a safe-but-not-safe lane. Fuck him and his little tentacly graspers, he forced you into it!

https://dotabuff.com/matches/100080568

First game I play in two days, and I get this shit. A Venomancer who refuses to buy the courier, insists on soloing long lane, and having Lone Druid jungling, leaving me soloing against a trilane, with no support of course. I get pooped on, of course, dying four times within 6 minutes...under my own fucking tower. Fuck this game sometimes. Where is a fucking concede button when you need it? This game was obviously lost within about three minutes, especially since we had a laning clusterfuck at the beginning. Also Lone Druid had to buy the courier, I felt bad for the guy.

This is not where you concede. This is where you confirm your manliness by telling veno to eat a dick and support Druid in lane. He lost you the game, people like that can't usually be reasoned with, so at that point I would be very much okay with the carry simply taking over his lane and getting all the farm for himself. Especially when it's someone like a Sylla getting the short end of the stick.

You could check their stats on dotabuff....Usually those people with high amount of wins on the other team generally have sub 50% winrates...
Doesn't mean shit either. A lot of solo pubbing or having been new to the genre/game at some point in the past gives a lot of people win rates below 50%.

I don't doubt it. I'm emphasizing experience though from the win rates though. Our teammate with the lowest wins is still learning the heroes and positioning, and somehow we got pit with an invoker that pumped those spells out almost peculiarly fast.

Ketch

Went captains mode

Our captain gets down to the last ban/pick. He's been in constant communication the whole time, seems like a nice guy. We have two carries, and i've told him since the beginning that I want to play a support. I list three supports for him I could play (SS, tidehunter, and lich). What does he do? He bans tidehunter, and gives me Shadow Fiend, and then proceeds to not say a single word the rest of the game.

Troll much?

Tidehunter killed his parents.

Tenck

What am I supposed to see there? Den'di has better than 54%...

What are you supposed to see? Well the percentage. Here's a picture since apparently dotabuff is not working for you.
1NlJK.png

Edit:mad:bzm:

Brain skipped so hard. Gotta get my definition of Sub back up to par.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
Bullshit

Like I said they don't dictate skill, but it does dictate experience. Even if the invoker that was dominating had lost half his games, he had 1000 games under his belt at minimum. That is a shitload of experience that none of us had. More experience, better tactics, better plays

Eh I've seen people with 1000 games played that still don't know half of what dota is about. I think win% is a much better indicator, but even that is sometimes unreliable.

What are you supposed to see? Well the percentage. Here's a picture since apparently dotabuff is not working for you.
1NlJK.png

Edit:mad:bzm: Ya sub 50% less than 50%.

I dunno how this is proving your point...disproving mine...He wins most of his games. Sub 50% winrate - meaning you win less than half your games is usually a small indicator or how skilled a person is (at least it gives you a clue on why you're being matched with them despite their huge amount of wins)...

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
50% is a good number to aim to keep at the minimum, but honestly I would try to just enjoy playing rather than worrying about some number.

Tenck

I dunno how this is proving your point...disproving mine...He wins most of his games. Sub 50% winrate - meaning you win less than half your games is usually a small indicator or how skilled a person is (at least it gives you a clue on why you're being matched with them despite their huge amount of wins)...

Yeah edited post you quoted showing I got my definition messed up.

But still, 50% isn't bad, which was I was trying to say. Best indicator to see how good someone is, is to play them instead of relying on numbers.

Yeah edited post you quoted showing I got my definition messed up.

But still, 50% isn't bad, which was I was trying to say. Best indicator to see how good someone is, is to play them instead of relying on numbers.

50% is damn good especially if you're in very high- high level skill bracket. I was just saying that winrate often gives an explanation why someone with a huge amount of wins gets matched with people with not so many...Best indicator of course is to play someone..

I think for as many variables in a given match, Valve actually does a good job with matchmaking. This is coming from a person on the receiving end of constant beat downs because one of the guys I used to regularly queue with was a veteran who only randomed(got matched against EG Demon multiple times when he solo queued) while the rest of us started playing last Feb (rolled in a shitty 5 stack most of the time).

Bullshit

Like I said they don't dictate skill, but it does dictate experience. Even if the invoker that was dominating had lost half his games, he had 1000 games under his belt at minimum. That is a shitload of experience that none of us had. More experience, better tactics, better plays
lol

I can't even count the amount of times some guy is running around doing who knows what, battlefury on storm spirit or something. "Oh he must be new" *View dota profile*

600 wins

wut

Lum1n3s

Carried so hard yesterday with Naix, yet we lost in the end =(. All of my teammates were level 1 for Dota and didn't even know what they were doing. Felt good when it turned into an hour game because of me.

JustinBB7

I believe Na'Vi was talking about how bad Tobi was. I know Sing has said Tobi was bad too, but he usually jokes around.

I know he's bad, I've played with him before and had to carry warlock him while he was supposed to be carry CK. But he lost so hard I had more last hits then he did I think. (Like when he died for the millionth time and I had to take the farm)

Artanisix

Bullshit

Post your game?

I'd say the MMR is pretty damn good except for the NEW new players where smurfs come into play. There are a lot of variables to take into account like inferior team composition, inferior laning, someone had a poopy game (anbokr storm spirit), etc. Shit happens, wins aren't a very accurate metric for skill or experience. I know people with sub-100 wins who are excellent players because they came from Dota 1.

Sanjay

Pretty interesting to see the prices of the Genuine items, looks like you can sell the Steelseries sword (Kantusa) for half the price of the mouse, and people offering 50+ keys for the Battlefury from the headset.

I sold mine today for £29/£26 on the Steam marketplace :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom