• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuro

it says connection to the dota 2 network or something like that and it doesn't fucking connect

the dota 2 wiki ain't working either

edit: nvm the wiki is back. game still doesnt work tho

dota2.com is down
Restart Steam. That did the trick for me. I'm in game right now spectating a match.

BeesEight

I'm a newbie player so feel free to add me and I'll play with you. I've been picking up a bit that I might even be able to give some advice.

I'm Beesハチ in the chat/on steam.

Just came out of my first match. For whatever reason the Lobby would only allow me to pick one of two heroes ... and I had no idea what to do with either of them so I picked what I thought would be the simpler character in Axe. Got deestroyed and half our team left during the course of the match.

Just came out of my first match. For whatever reason the Lobby would only allow me to pick one of two heroes ... and I had no idea what to do with either of them so I picked what I thought would be the simpler character in Axe. Got deestroyed and half our team left during the course of the match.

You probably queued for single draft, which is 3 random heroes, one from strength, intelligence and agility.

I wouldn't recommend queueing for that if you're new, it was probably on by default.

You probably queued for single draft, which is 3 random heroes, one from strength, intelligence and agility.

I wouldn't recommend queueing for that if you're new, it was probably on by default.

That was exactly it, thanks for the tip. Hopefully now I can find a match where I can actually use Zeus ...

People often think the less active abilities a hero has, the easier it is. I don't think that's the case. The game is hard, and that won't change anytime soon. So instead of just finding you simple heroes, look for heroes that you can benefit from as a whole.

Lets go by role, and you can choose from there.

Carry: Viper, Dragon Knight and Riki. Viiper is pretty straight forward. Read the skills. Dragon Knight isn't too complicated, and it gives you a chance to learn a hero that has range and melee all at once. Riki, just because his ult gives you freedom of movement, which can give you time to see whats going on around you, and (hopefully) figure out better positioning.

Support: Dazzle, Lich, and Lion (sorta). The problem with support heroes in bot matches, is you are pretty much relying on an AI to do the important stuff. So you probably won't see much success with these against bots. But anyways, Dazzle is about timing. Nearly every spell in the game has an attack animation that must happen before the spell takes affect. His Shallow Grave is a good example of this, and will help you understand when to use it, and when it is too late. Lich is all about the denying and ult, as far as learning goes. Try to only use the ult when enemies clump together, and the less creeps nearby. His E denies an ally creep for mana. Denying a creep to an enemy denies them some EXP and gold. Which is really good at the start of a game. Lion is more of a ganky kind of support. He has crowd control and burst. I picked him mostly because you can support and still blow stuff up. Not much other reason.

Other heroes you might enjoy:

Antimage - His blink, mainly. Makes it easy to survive stuff. A few of my newb friends enjoyed him because of that.

Axe - Tanky, but fun. He was one of the heroes I started on. He is pretty easy.

Zeus - Blows things up. Everyone enjoys him, for the most part. If you want to nuke stuff, try him out. He is squishy, though.

Shadow Shaman - He does pretty much everything. Lots of CC, a good nuke, and a great ult. I also used this guy to practice.

Venomancer - Pretty easy hero. You can build him support or damage. Get one level in his Q and W, and then max his E. Then spam his E, and enjoy.

Skeleton King - This guy is super simple, but he is a carry and needs to farm well to be effective. Ult gives you two lives, so new players enjoy him.

As always, opinions differ from dude to dude. Some may or may not agree with this. What I can tell you, and what everyone else will agree on is: Don't let a few losses hurt your feeling over the game. This is a game that relies on all five players to do well. When one fails, usually the rest will follow. This is not an easy game, and we all sucked when we started. When you start playing with players, let them know you are new, ask them if they can give you pointers or advice. This will usually calm the ragers down a bit (but not all the time). You may not want to use the voice chat, but I would suggest getting used to it earlier rather than later. Also, take some time to understand the lingo. That will make things far less troublesome for you later down the road.

Bounty Hunter is purrddy good. He needs farm, so make sure you farm. He can go on any lane. You can roam on him too, if you are confident your team can help setup with ganks.
Thank you so much!!

Ridli

So Lone Druid is super fun. It's pretty clear to me that that my last hitting sucks, so having two attempts really helps seal the deal. My GPM was finally well above 450 with him, and I'm usually nowhere near that. I can see why building two sets of treads and a Radiance for the bear early is actually viable with him.

While your bear is a remorseless killing machine that you can just respawn whenever his health gets low, Lone Druid himself is seems squishy before he gets his ult. It was so easy to get ganked even with a single ability like fissure or VS Stun if you aren't super careful.

So the question is... after you hit six are expected to sit in Ult form all the time? The movement slow was annoying, but the added HP feels necessary to avoid being taken out quick in a team fight.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Normally you try to keep his ult as an emergency button earlier on. While he channels his ult, he is immune to stuns (Or is it just an increase in dodge chance?) so what you can do it, ult up for the HP and armor, and run him off while you sick the bear on the closest threat. Or you can just sick the bear on someone and not ult if you feel safe enough.

Low Tier
So Lone Druid is super fun. It's pretty clear to me that that my last hitting sucks, so having two attempts really helps seal the deal. My GPM was finally well above 450 with him, and I'm usually nowhere near that. I can see why building two sets of treads and a Radiance for the bear early is actually viable with him.

While your bear is a remorseless killing machine that you can just respawn whenever his health gets low, Lone Druid himself is seems squishy before he gets his ult. It was so easy to get ganked even with a single ability like fissure or VS Stun if you aren't super careful.

So the question is... after you hit six are expected to sit in Ult form all the time? The movement slow was annoying, but the added HP feels necessary to avoid being taken out quick in a team fight.

yes.

Don't forget that bear form also gives you more offensive capability, as you get roar (or whatever the hell its called).

sylla is nice but it doesnt shine in a few things in the visual department. I miss the old entangle and rabid visual.

I like rabid. The runic glow is cool.

I think entangle needs a new graphic.

Don't really like his true form that much, or the topknots on the bear. His neck looks crazy long in true form. Hope they have alternate models for sale when the game launches. He also runs funny when he has haste. Would be neat if they had an all fours model for true form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom