• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sibylus

Banned
Definitely a peculiar team, but so far it seems to have some real strengths (especially against elusive heroes like QoP and Windrunner).

Love how Batrider notes his acquisition of an invis rune: "INVISIBILITYYYY"

Sibylus

Banned
Kinda odd plays from Empire. Bane doesn't buy any items with his 5k gold, doesn't use it to buy back, and the Sand King with Boots of Travel just sits behind the Ancient instead of jumping down to a Darer T3 (would be a long shot to take one, of course, but he accomplished nothing in that entire span). It's as if they just gave up after losing the fight.

I will be perennially annoyed with Tobi for calling best-of-threes best-of-twos.

Trasher

This chick sucks at casting.

"It'll be interesting to see what he gets."

"What an interesting item choice."

"How interesting. I wonder what he ends up getting."

"Interesting decision there."

"What a good play there."

"Wow that was a good play."

"Really good play."

smh...

Sibylus

Banned
The better part ("best of") of three games is two, hence the naming convention. The better part of two is... nothing, you can't claim the best of two because it's a clean tie. It's simply a Tobiism.

Neki

The better part ("best of") of three games is two, hence the naming convention. The better part of two is... nothing, you can't claim the best of two because it's a clean tie. It's simply a Tobiism.

So what would you call a two game set then? Because they're only playing two games.

Sibylus

Banned
Must say I love watching AL's Tidehunters in action, especially with Tiny and a Refresher Orb in the mix.

So what would you call a two game set then? Because they're only playing two games.
A best of three taken in two games (a sweep). Whether they win 2-0 or 2-1, they've clinched the better part of a 3 game series. The phrase Tobi is looking for is "first to 2".

Neki

Must say I love watching AL's Tidehunters in action, especially with Tiny and a Refresher Orb in the mix.

A best of three taken in two games (a sweep). Whether they win 2-0 or 2-1, they've clinched the better part of a 3 game series. The phrase Tobi is looking for is "first to 2".

but they're not playing a first to 2 though, they're only playing two games sets. I have no idea why you keep bringing up best of threes, I know what a best of three is.

JustinBB7

I don't think you understand what they mean with only 2 games.

Sibylus

Banned
Thanks for the concise explanation.

but they're not playing a first to 2 though, they're only playing two games sets. I have no idea why you keep bringing up best of threes, I know what a best of three is.
Then you need to elaborate on what exactly you mean by this two game set. I took you to mean a two game sweep in a best of three playoff, with the third game going unplayed. The other possibility I didn't even bring up was a single game playoff, which wouldn't be a best of two at all (given half isn't the "best of" anything).

Neki

The explanation of a best of two comes straight from the name. If two teams plays two games, who is the best? Just because you use the term best of doesn't mean there is always an absolute winner, it means who will perform the best out of two games.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
60% is not good enough.

We need 100% win rate.

Sibylus

Banned
So if I understand you, you're arguing that it's a descriptor for the competition involved (a la "final four", "best of the two teams"). Certainly possible, but I'm at a loss to explain why it would be positioned directly beneath the Bo3 scoreboard, and why Tobi has in the past referred to such series matter-of-factly as "a best of two". Strikes me on both counts as talk of the playoff structure, but what's weirder is that the Defense Final (Na'Vi vs Quantic) was labelled in precisely the same UI space as a best of five (correctly), whereas elsewhere a best of three is rendered as a best of two. Human error accounts for this wackiness quite handily.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
60% is not good enough.

We need 100% win rate.

dont worry we will get there with more team building exercises like last night (aka group watching diabolic kitten stream and group watching 1v1).

also procarbine added to bench as EG.xXFr0sTy_T1pZXx and our new support bitch is EG.TITAN aka insured

btw team gunnarbokrs we need to think of a theme song. im thinking this (ya know we just break everyones hearts by crushing them and completely sinking their ship, and thats just the tip of the iceberg--props on suggesting this Fr0sTy_T1pZ) or this (cuz its irony ya know? nobody is ready for dis)

Haly

btw team gunnarbokrs we need to think of a theme song. im thinking this (ya know we just break everyones hearts by crushing them and completely sinking their ship, and thats just the tip of the iceberg--props on suggesting this Fr0sTy_T1pZ) or this (cuz its irony ya know? nobody is ready for dis)
I nominate this.

Haly

If you kick me you'll have to run Kappy. Do you really want to run kappy?

Uguu!

Artanisix

Sing to Final: "This fucking guy. Doesn't do anything. Deserves to die"
^
^
^
^
^