• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dota 2 Beta Thread: [Brewmaster]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amumu

There are no tanks in Dota

puck is best tank.

Like who can take the most damage without any items?

Spectre or Syllabear is the tankiest (until Bristleback is put in).

Alchemist/Dragon Knight are runner up. Alchemist with his ult up is probably the tankiest, but its not always up.

The only hero that can really taunt is axe though.

Edit: If you mean who's the best initiator it's a bit of a toss up. I think earthshaker is the best, but it could easily be sk or tide or enigma as well. BM/Puck are not as good but still very good to have. Clockwerk/Axe are behind the other ones I listed, imo.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Use this: http://pastebin.com/

Please.

I agree with Kappy that it's a chore to scroll past all of that, especially if I'm on my phone.

Some of us have the decency to put our images in quotes, this is the same thing.

Guesong

Yo Swag, who are the guys you're playing with today and yesterday?

Always on the same team so I assume you know them, but also consistently high spectators numbers...are they pros? I don't recognize any!

Swag

Also, I don't get RD. What's the point of it?
It's Captains Mode with a smaller hero pool.
Yo Swag, who are the guys you're playing with today and yesterday?
Always on the same team so I assume you know them, but also consistently high spectators numbers...are they pros? I don't recognize any!
I dunno, I think it's Apathy but I've never really heard of him, they added me after a few games of random MM, their from Australia. I think TeKniqZ is some type of high rated player too, usually invites EG guys to group

KScorp

I dunno, I think it's Apathy but I've never really heard of him, they added me after a few games of random MM, their from Australia. I think TeKniqZ is some type of high rated player too, usually invites EG guys to group

I watched eg.demon's stream a bit ago, he ran into TeKniqZ and it seems they have some sort of rivalry. For instance, demon pausing right before delivering the final blow to TeKniqZ and taunting him.

So he's definitely someone, was entertaining to watch.

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Hey Irish,

Are you actually upset that people are using this thread to talk about playing the game with one another? I know that's from a couple pages ago, but I found it to be hilarious.

haha. just lost a game because my teammates picked stupidly.

I picked Sven as the second pick to Bane who was first.

What picks follow?

-Lina
-Omni
-wait for it...
Prophet

we lost before the game even began. No carry, tank, and not enough DPS at all. Didn't help that Omni decided to build a RADIANCE...and Lina bought 2 point boosters with her money. What possessed the last guy to pick Prophet is beyond me. All of them had more than 100 wins under their belts. They should have known better than that.

yay pub!

Procarbine

Forever Platinum
Could've done omni mid, bane solo short lane, prophet jungle, with lina/sven crunch lane. If that omni can get enough farm early or if you went carry, or if lina did the tswift semi-carry you guys could've pulled it out. Just needed a blink on sven or lina, maybe both, for initiation, and a strong roam from bane after he got 6. Don't need a "tank" if you have the team invulnerability provided by omni.

But you're right in that it isn't an easy team to make work, hard to do.

haha. just lost a game because my teammates picked stupidly.

I picked Sven as the second pick to Bane who was first.

What picks follow?

-Lina
-Omni
-wait for it...
Prophet

we lost before the game even began. No carry, tank, and not enough DPS at all. Didn't help that Omni decided to build a RADIANCE...and Lina bought 2 point boosters with her money. What possessed the last guy to pick Prophet is beyond me. All of them had more than 100 wins under their belts. They should have known better than that.

yay pub!

Yep, it's pub. The first time I played Sven we had AA and Bane in our team, who were refused to do what supports should do. They claimed, that it's my job as Sven, since it's me who IS support, and the're 'killers'. In the end, me and Pudge had to buy couriers, wards, dust, etc. That's the only match when I was really mad about my teammates.

Irish

Hey Irish,

Are you actually upset that people are using this thread to talk about playing the game with one another? I know that's from a couple pages ago, but I found it to be hilarious.

Heh, nah, I just don't think it was right to bitch about the information being posted when there was more questionable stuff to be concerned about, especially because a lot of us do value it (format notwithstanding).

Game talk is fun, there just seems to be little of it. Speaking of which, I think we lost a game in record time the other night, Dreams, not really because of picks though. Had more to do with team chemistry. Before everyone had even loaded in to the character screen we had already lost the game because the two randoms we were playing with got into this massive argument about who was going to go mid (between BS and SS). Then they both went mid and got destroyed and just completely overwhelmed the chat with back and forth bitching.

Really gotta love those randoms.

Low Tier
It's Captains Mode with a smaller hero pool.

TekniqZ was on a pro team with Godz, another Aussie, who proceeded to talk shit on nadota about going to Gosunations before getting destroyed. TekniqZ himself was on KS.int along with yamateh at one point iirc, so he's hella legit.

Haly

I was ready to lose the game for everyone but that WR was just awful.

Haly

"Where's midas milk?"
"I couldn't do anything top"

Ridli

Bleh, I don't think I've ever had a good experience with a player using in-game chat.

Still, I'm learning to love the Veno. Poison sting is such a great harassment tool during laning, and a good gale is almost always first blood. I know I'm going to die immediately in late teamfights, but landing a Nova on 3+ is usually enough to tip the fight in our favor regardless of whether I live or not.

what a difference a decent team makes. I run into a decent group of guys and team up with them for 3 games. the result?

I go a combined 30/3/28 over 3 games in moderately close play (before we put the hammer down late).

Yea, I may never solo pub again. lol.

Oh a side note: why is Drow so disliked in higher tier play? I ask because I feel like her level 4 silence is OP against opponents who need to use their skills. 6 seconds of silence is just...win. especially with her late game dps and frost arrows. with that silence, a mkb, hyperstone and a dadelus/butterfly, she gives no fucks at all. fuck your skills, you won't get to cast again until you respawn. fuck your bkb, my dps without frost arrows is more than enough to win. fuck your life, you die.

I keep hearing Drow is a bad carry, but I'm just not seeing it.

Yasae

Banned
what a difference a decent team makes. I run into a decent group of guys and team up with them for 3 games. the result?

I go a combined 30/3/28 over 3 games in moderately close play (before we put the hammer down late).

Oh a side note: why is Drow so disliked in higher tier play? I ask because I feel like her level 4 silence is OP against opponents who need to use their skills. 6 seconds of silence is just...win. especially with her late game dps and frost arrows. with that silence, a mkb, hyperstone and a dadelus/butterfly, she gives no fucks at all. fuck your skills, you won't get to cast again until you respawn. fuck your bkb, my dps without frost arrows is more than enough to win. fuck your life, you die.

Does it start at 6 seconds? It seems about on par with Riki: too fucking long.

Tenck

Takes her a while to hit her stride. And for really hard carries, there's better carries than her.

Hylian7

I've really been getting a mixed bag with solo pub. Sometimes I get teams I play amazingly well with, are talking back to me with their mics (since I use mine, more than text). It tends to work best if I bite the bullet and play a support, that seems to bring teams together if you're already throwing down the wards, since it feels like 90% of the time nobody else does it in pub games. I've been playing a lot of Puck lately, so if there are no harder supports on my team, that ends up being my job. The other half we still have a good team, and it's a really good match, but we still lose. I would rather that than a complete stomp though.

There is the small percentage of time where I end up with a complete troll. For instance I had a game today where a Tinker just fed, and he was obviously intentionally feeding, because he kept saying things in chat like "Don't you know feeding is the best way to play?" That obviously didn't end well for us at all. It also didn't help that I was top with Faceless Void at first (I was Puck), and he left me early on to go farm, and Anti-Mage or Bloodseeker would come over, I would ping, and he would keep farming and would not come help me. We could have easily killed them Void just threw a Chronosphere up. We were losing towers quickly while Void went to farm in the jungle, and I had to defend them by myself, with both Bloodseeker and Anti-Mage coming after me.

Sibylus

Banned
Not bad, but very vulnerable and easy to push into a failure cascade (though like a Shadow Fiend, a BKB can really help with getting into the lategame in good shape). A solid piece in some lineups, but understandably situational.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Just wondering, who would you guys consider the best tank in the game?

Tide Hunter is likely the best because he has his built in purge.

Amumu

There are no tanks in Dota

According to Valve, the following heroes are classified as Tanks (This is for their bots and setting up team comp)
Axe
Sven
Tiny
Kunnka
Slardar
Tidehunter
Necrolyte
Beastmaster
Skeleton King
Dragon Knight
Clockwork
Life Stealer
Huskar
Night Stalker
Doom Bringer
Alchemist
Brew Master
Lone Druid
Treant Protector
Ogre Magi

Note that most heroes can have more then 1 group, like Tiny is listed as a Ganker/Tank/Semi-Carry/Stun Support. (Axe is only a tank though)

Also, Valve has such a thing as stun support, and some other groups are Pure Support (Clockwork is listed as one), Push Support, and one who is just 'Support' (Warlock, he does need to be in a class of his own)

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Takes her a while to hit her stride. And for really hard carries, there's better carries than her.

Actually, Drow is a pretty early game carry if she can get levels. Without any items at all, she will do 160 damage at level 11 and have an attack speed of 177.

Now, give her some cheap stuff, like a thing of Treads on Strength and two Wraith Bands, and she has 182 Damage and an attack speed of 214.

The big thing is that she needs levels more then most other carries. Most carries need money the most, while Drow really needs the XP more then anything.

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut
wat r u talking about bro. any hero with extra levels is good... u give me a drow with little to no items and an extra level or two and i'll give u a dead drow that got 2 shot by my razes because i am #1 sf NA come at me--you can't do damage when ur dead brah.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
On a tangent, I would likely be less inclined to fill the pages full of somewhat dry text dumps of new files if you guys didn't keep purposely talking in idiotic internet short hand. It isn't funny or amusing, not even on the satire level, and is likely toxic to trying to foster a community since it will easily push away a good number of people interested in participating.

bzm

On a tangent, I would likely be less inclined to fill the pages full of somewhat dry text dumps of new files relating changes to the game if you guys didn't keep purposely talking in idiotic internet short hand. It isn't funny or amusing, not even on the satire level.

thas like not even a tangent cuz ur still talking about us who were talkin about u what u said uy kno? more like a secant or something kk?

Neki

On a tangent, I would likely be less inclined to fill the pages full of somewhat dry text dumps of new files if you guys didn't keep purposely talking in idiotic internet short hand. It isn't funny or amusing, not even on the satire level, and is likely toxic to trying to foster a community since it will easily push away a good number of people interested in participating.

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Grow up kid. Don't attempt to justify your stupid text dumps by saying that if people acted more civil around here, you wouldn't need to. You'd do it regardless because you have nothing better to do. Try doing something nice for a change without expecting something in return.

Get crunched kid, and get good, or you'll be living in that dumpster you call a home forever.

bzm

Two wrongs don't make a right.

Grow up kid. Don't attempt to justify your stupid text dumps by saying that if people acted more civil around here, you wouldn't need to. You'd do it regardless because you have nothing better to do. Try doing something nice for a change without expecting something in return.

Get crunched kid, and get good, or you'll be living in that dumpster you call a home forever.
yo neki b nice sum peple are just born with autism u kno they cant help it

Anbokr

Bull on a Donut

alright professor dota, no need to get ur panties in a bunch over ur analysis getting sent to the dumpster truck like procarbine's soulstealer (too ez). sometimes u just gotta admit ur wrong bro and stop spreading misinformation--u can't carry with two wraith bands and a wand; i mean look at sanjay srsly.

It is a tangent for me, because I haven't posted anything acknowledging your idiotic ramblings in the past few days after I initially asked why you are doing some fake Evil Genius Clan and never got a response

edit 1 for the kirbster: i dont read this thread 24/7 so sorry if i forgot to check up on the fanmail for the EG Gunnarbokrz, i apologize. but basically we put together a team of hardcore dota veterans that are sponsored by gunnars (and have really awesome unique names) to stomp the competition and take home the 1 million dollars this summer. "We ARE the EG Gunnarbokrz... and we will, we will, rock you!"--White Goodman, the man, the myth, the legend (all u competitive pros out there we are taking the scene by storm, we are already undefeated in scrims, 3-0). team EG.GNRZ. follows the ancient philosophy that the name permeates all; the stronger your true name, the stronger you will become--this is our core strategy and the key to going undefeated.

See, normally I am talking about things that are meaningful about the game, and you guys just doing smack talk, the two rarely crossing. Now they are meeting, since you guys are telling me not to post text dumps of files, and now I am inclined to tell you guys to not post like idiots. Thus, a tangent.

edit 2 for the kirbster: smack talk and dota 2 talk can overlap: i.e. see my post basically invalidating ur post on drow; but instead of trying to make dota sound like some upper division university class, we have some fun with it

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
thas like not even a tangent cuz ur still talking about us who were talkin about u what u said uy kno? more like a secant or something kk?

It is a tangent for me, because I haven't posted anything acknowledging your idiotic ramblings in the past few days after I initially asked why you are doing some fake Evil Genius Clan and never got a response, and have simply talked about the actual game and not fill the pages with dumb smack talk with little to no context no one outside of a small group could care about.

See, normally I am talking about things that are meaningful about the game, and you guys just doing smack talk, the two rarely crossing. Now they are meeting, since you guys are telling me not to post text dumps of files, and now I am inclined to tell you guys to not post like idiots. Thus, a tangent.

bzm

It is a tangent for me, because I haven't posted anything acknowledging your idiotic ramblings in the past few days after I initially asked why you are doing some fake Evil Genius Clan and never got a response, and have simply talked about the actual game and not fill the pages with dumb smack talk with little to no context no one outside of a small group could care about. Normally I am talking about things that are meaningful about the game, and you guys just doing smack talk, the two rarely crossing. Now they are meeting, since you people are telling me not to post text dumps of files, and now I am inclined to tell you guys to not post like idiots.

oh so now its about how me an bokr are black.
Racist.

Tenck

It is a tangent for me, because I haven't posted anything acknowledging your idiotic ramblings in the past few days after I initially asked why you are doing some fake Evil Genius Clan and never got a response, and have simply talked about the actual game and not fill the pages with dumb smack talk with little to no context no one outside of a small group could care about.

You're better off talking to walls. Their sarcasm is only going to keep on going when you give them attention.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
oh so now its about how me an bokr are black.
Racist.

I don't hate your race, just your culture. There is a difference, where one is a mostly illogical dislike for a group of people due to how they look or where they come from, while the other is the more logical dislike of a group due to the way they act or are perceived to act.

Sajjaja

At first when I got an invite, I tried it, and I hated it, then I went back to LoL.

Tried it again randomly cause Conceptor and I always flip shit at each other for me to play dota and him to play lol. I gotta say, although different from LoL in a significant way, its really fun now. Loving blood seeker. Still getting used to the camera angle and the lack of character lock on/follow

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
I've been asked to play LoL a few times since I've been in DotA 2, and I just can't play it. Everything moves in slow motion. It's so basic and slow. I don't think I could ever enjoy it with DotA 2 around.

Edit: I mostly agree with Kirby. This is a closed beta discussion before a thread to shit-talk players. Him posting new information about an update regarding the game should be perfectly acceptable. Keep at it, Kirby.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
And we don't need him posting entire files that are essentially worthless, the information posted was useful but was in a poor format.

Spookie

And we don't need him posting entire files that are essentially worthless, the information posted was useful but was in a poor format.
Maybe it's time for a thread split? One for talk about the game changes and the like. The other being for community conversations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom